|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Journey into Nyx (JOU)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Spawn of Thraxes
Creature — Dragon
When Spawn of Thraxes enters the battlefield, it deals damage to target creature or player equal to the number of Mountains you control.
Spawn of Thraxes Discussion
2 months ago
Thanks for the feedback @multimedia, much appreciated as always!
Took the deck out for a first try last night and I had an absolute blast. Never played an EDH deck as explosive as this one before. I won multiple games out of the blue, with an Banefire of X=38 as a highlight.
Right now I am considering the following changes:
Runehorn Hellkite out, Urabrask the Hidden in. The wheeleffect from the Runehorn Hellkite seems too conditional and most of all too costly. It does make a nice target for discard, but I expect much more value out of Urabrask the Hidden in terms of explosive turns.
I also keep playing with the thought of Spawn of Thraxes, but somehow he seems only worthwhile if I am able to abuse his ETB, which I do not see happening in mono red...
Looking forward to any feedback!
4 months ago
Haha you're welcome! Honestly I ran your deck through some playtests and really enjoyed it. Really feels more like a dragon tribal deck than my own Ur-dragon tribal deck! If you can, you may want to test some of the following changes:
- (2) Dragon Hatchling
- (4) Furnace Whelp
- (5) Hunted Dragon
- (5) Lightning Shrieker
- (6) Shivan Dragon (though I understand if you leave this in cause its the OG dragon)
- (6) Shockmaw Dragon
- (6) Freejam Regent
- (7) Dream Pillager (Draw is important but I feel that the body is not good enough, especially since it has to connect)
- (8) Bogardan Hellkite (the effect is underwhelming imo, though it does get better with the Conjurer's Closet)
- (Technically 3) Moltensteel Dragon (can be played for cheap and has a free pump your opponents have to play around)
- (4) Thunderbreak Regent (efficient and good ability)
- (5) Hoarding Dragon (one of the few red tutors, if people waste an exile effect on this its fine)
- (5) Thundermaw Hellkite (gives the ability to alpha strike!)
- (5) Stormbreath Dragon (can blast people with big hands)
- (6) Warmonger Hellkite (forces everyone to attack!)
- (6) Flameblast Dragon (lets you burn out utility creatures, blockers, players. Late game it can burn out someone on its own!)
- (7) Spawn of Thraxes (great with the Conjurer's closet, has an even higher ceiling than Bogardan)
- (7) Skyline Despot (Here's your draw! Not sure who's going to attack into the guy with a board full of DRAGONS. Also brings the monarch subgame that promotes combat!)
6 months ago
I took out Dragonlord's Servant for Herald's Horn because it does the same thing and also has occasional card advantage. I like Coat of Arms over Door of Destinies because you can hold on to Coat and use it like an Overrun. Plus Door of Destinies has a ramp up time and has the cast problem like Sarkhan's Unsealing. I've been thinking about taking out Dragonspeaker Shaman for another dragon. Since I already have a 2 cost reducer with Urza's Incubator. I have a Blade of Selves in my paper deck (idk why it isnt on here I'll have to double check my list) so thats why I run Spawn of Thraxes.
The biggest challenge so far with this deck is the lack of card draw. I have Wheel of Fortune in another deck but I don't think I want that type of effect because I don't have graveyard recursion. But everytime I've used Dragon Mage, he has over performed. I'm thinking about testing Howling Mine and Font of Mythos.
6 months ago
Since its easier to kill creatures than anything I stay away from cards like Dragonspeaker Shaman. I'd replace it with a mana rock.
Gratuitous Violence doubles all your creature damage, even non-combat damage.
11 months ago
Does Thrax translate to world, red paint, or he who?
_Kane_ on Hephaestus
1 year ago
My recommended adds:
My recommended removes:
1 year ago
Please print a new mono-red dragon with an ETB that isn't trash. Zirilan wants new toys and the last good one was Spawn of Thraxes. This set has got me hyped, though.
Spawn of Thraxes occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%