|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Journey into Nyx (JOU)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Spawn of Thraxes
Creature — Dragon
Hooded Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When Hooded Hydra dies, put a 1/1 green Snake creature token onto the battlefield for each +1/+1 counter on it.
As Hooded Hydra is turned face up, put five +1/+1 counters on it.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Spawn of Thraxes Discussion
1 month ago
Haha you're welcome! Honestly I ran your deck through some playtests and really enjoyed it. Really feels more like a dragon tribal deck than my own Ur-dragon tribal deck! If you can, you may want to test some of the following changes:
- (2) Dragon Hatchling
- (4) Furnace Whelp
- (5) Hunted Dragon
- (5) Lightning Shrieker
- (6) Shivan Dragon (though I understand if you leave this in cause its the OG dragon)
- (6) Shockmaw Dragon
- (6) Freejam Regent
- (7) Dream Pillager (Draw is important but I feel that the body is not good enough, especially since it has to connect)
- (8) Bogardan Hellkite (the effect is underwhelming imo, though it does get better with the Conjurer's Closet)
- (Technically 3) Moltensteel Dragon (can be played for cheap and has a free pump your opponents have to play around)
- (4) Thunderbreak Regent (efficient and good ability)
- (5) Hoarding Dragon (one of the few red tutors, if people waste an exile effect on this its fine)
- (5) Thundermaw Hellkite (gives the ability to alpha strike!)
- (5) Stormbreath Dragon (can blast people with big hands)
- (6) Warmonger Hellkite (forces everyone to attack!)
- (6) Flameblast Dragon (lets you burn out utility creatures, blockers, players. Late game it can burn out someone on its own!)
- (7) Spawn of Thraxes (great with the Conjurer's closet, has an even higher ceiling than Bogardan)
- (7) Skyline Despot (Here's your draw! Not sure who's going to attack into the guy with a board full of DRAGONS. Also brings the monarch subgame that promotes combat!)
2 months ago
I took out Dragonlord's Servant for Herald's Horn because it does the same thing and also has occasional card advantage. I like Coat of Arms over Door of Destinies because you can hold on to Coat and use it like an Overrun. Plus Door of Destinies has a ramp up time and has the cast problem like Sarkhan's Unsealing. I've been thinking about taking out Dragonspeaker Shaman for another dragon. Since I already have a 2 cost reducer with Urza's Incubator. I have a Blade of Selves in my paper deck (idk why it isnt on here I'll have to double check my list) so thats why I run Spawn of Thraxes.
The biggest challenge so far with this deck is the lack of card draw. I have Wheel of Fortune in another deck but I don't think I want that type of effect because I don't have graveyard recursion. But everytime I've used Dragon Mage, he has over performed. I'm thinking about testing Howling Mine and Font of Mythos.
2 months ago
Since its easier to kill creatures than anything I stay away from cards like Dragonspeaker Shaman. I'd replace it with a mana rock.
Gratuitous Violence doubles all your creature damage, even non-combat damage.
8 months ago
Does Thrax translate to world, red paint, or he who?
_Kane_ on Hephaestus
1 year ago
My recommended adds:
My recommended removes:
1 year ago
Please print a new mono-red dragon with an ETB that isn't trash. Zirilan wants new toys and the last good one was Spawn of Thraxes. This set has got me hyped, though.
1 year ago
Why not both? I've a better than 1 in 100 chance of drawing it. Anywho, I'd like to squeeze ALL those cards into this deck. Right now I'm focused on trying to finish it, by adding dragons and measures to protect Krenko or at lease squeeze off his ability once or twice before the opponent KO's him into next week. Thanks for the recommends tho, those would be fantastic adds.
Next on the list to obtain: