Printings View all
|Signature Spellbook: Jace (SS1)||Rare|
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition (MM3)||Rare|
|Modern Masters (MMA)||Rare|
|From the Vault: Exiled (V09)||Mythic Rare|
|Champions of Kamigawa (CHK)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Search your library for up to four cards with different names and reveal them. Target opponent chooses two of those cards. Put the chosen cards into your graveyard and the rest into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
|Have (6)||OneEyedKing , brokendwarf , REscreech , Regulus1010 , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , GeminiSpartanX|
|Want (3)||gavriel1136 , tswalden95 , Waldeaux|
Gifts Ungiven Discussion
3 weeks ago
This deck is super sweet. Gifts Ungiven is an incredible magic card and this deck really makes use of its value potential. A few things I would recommend:
- Go for the Throat is strictly better than Cast Down against most decks, since legendary creatures are much more common than artifact creatures. You could also play Murderous Cut if you weren't comfortable with the downside, but it does hinder your Curious Homunculus Flip and Torrential Gearhulk package a bit
- Hieroglyphic Illumination is super awkward in this deck since on 1 you'd rather cast Opt and on 4 you'd rather cast Gifts Ungiven . I'd probably cut them for 2 more Opt and another value spell
- Thirst for Knowledge isn't great in this deck since you can't take advantage of the "unless you discard an artifact" clause very often. I'd honestly probably cut this for countermagic or removal but if you were really insistent on playing another draw spell Think Twice is much better, especially in Gifts Ungiven piles. I'd also recommend cutting Champion of Wits in this 3-drop slot since it's sorcery speed and your deck really wants to curve 1-2-4 with Curious Homunculus Flip
- Your countermagic package leaves much to be desired. I'd definitely play some number of Remand (if you can afford it) and make your 1-ofs Logic Knot and Mana Leak , or Supreme Will if you're REALLY lacking in card selection. Negate is just too narrow for modern (though it is a good sideboard option) and Condescend is only really good in hand, and even then feels a bit clunky without Blue-Tron levels of mana acceleration
- Fatal Push would be very good in this deck, and from my understanding is pretty inexpensive right now. I'd pick those up and slot them in if you can.
The deck idea here is sweet, and I think with some minor changes it could make a super sweet budge deck. Good luck tuning it and have fun!
4 weeks ago
I added the side! I still haven't figured out the correct sequencing for the turn 4 kill, I know its possible though. I believe that theres a few mini loops before the main loop. I'm going to try to find some extended gameplay and try and figure it out
4 weeks ago
M_Malcom yeah I actually thought about the infinite turns idea but I ended up deciding that a win con that takes one slot vs 2 is just strictly better, thanks for the comment though!
So I gold fished a few hands and learned a few things.
Perfecting this list and my ability to pilot it is going to take ALLOT of practice (I didn't successfully make it through a full loop off gold-fishing, because of my own errors) Piloting this feels much more intensive than piloting storm X)
The combo requires at least 3 green sources for each loop to go infinite in both colors so I switched Explore with Utopia Sprawl . I hope this will be enough fixing if not I might add Sakura-Tribe Elder or Evolving Wilds ...I wish that i could afford Misty Rainforest
I felt like I had a good amount of interaction but felt somewhat light on draw and fixing, this could be because of limited testing though and will keep an eye on it
I still think that the deck is viable in this iteration but I think that it will take some testing and more testing to be competitive. Because of my limited experience of the deck I'm still not sure what set of cards are best for ramp, filter, interaction and in what ratios they need to be in. I could very well be trying to do to much, but I don't think the deck is worth playing (over something else) if we don't include all aspects of the strategy
4 weeks ago
4 weeks ago
So I've been playing storm and I just can't deal with the war of the sideboards anymore. I'm more of a tempo player but there's not really an affordable option atm SO I'm trying my hand at another combo deck but one that I've never seen before
If you've never seen the combo, I've included the loop in the deck description
It's technically a 5 card combo ( Gifts Ungiven , Early Harvest , Revive , Seasons Past , Heartbeat of Spring ) that acts like a 2 card combo with Gifts Ungiven and Heartbeat of Spring or (15 mana). In testing it's proven to just as consistent as storm (a turn slower) but I believe that it will prove to be more resilient.
for one you don't use any creatures so that blanks most removal and two because the combo only takes up 9 slots (the trimmed numbers do not decrease consistency) there's plenty of room to include main deck interaction to deal with hate or simply disrupt our opponent to buy time
If you've ever played the heartbeat combo I would love to hear about your experience with it. If your just an experienced combo player I would love to hear your thoughts on my take on the deck and how it might stack up to the new post KCI metta
1 month ago
coltron518 I will make and link the deck tomorrow, it’s essentially just a standard U/R storm with Thought Scour in for Serum Visions and a bad manabase, the only really non budget cards remaining being Past in Flames and Gifts Ungiven .
ToolmasterOfBrainerd: I like this idea, but would this affect my blue mana production for cantrips mid-combo?
1 month ago
The wording of the title of your deck was slightly misleading; I was expecting a really bad primer, not a bad deck with a nicely done primer! :P You should really put the word "Primer" in brackets or something, it would clear up some misconceptions and possibly bring in more views.
That important matter aside, I think the deck could maybe benefit from some Narcomoeba to get Amalgams back for free, though it may underperform a bit since this isn't a completely dedicated Dredge deck. More madness cards that work with One with Nothing and Collective Brutality would be nice, like Asylum Visitor (which is especially nice with OwN).
If you're having trouble with consistency, maybe instead of playing Dredge cards, you could go with a less all-in midrange madness deck? By playinf some more typical midrange cards (like 1 mana hand disruption) and such you could find yourself having more success.
Also, Gifts Ungiven=no unless you somehow find a way to make it work with One with Nothing (which is beyond me)
1 month ago
I'm surprised there isn't any Gifts Ungiven. Have you considered playing the Gifts Reanimator package? I suppose it would add an extra color though.
Gifts Ungiven occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.08%
U/R (Izzet): 0.54%