|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Dinosaur
Other Dinosaurs you control get +1/+1.
5G: Create a 3/3 green Dinosaur creature token with trample.
Thundering Spineback Discussion
1 month ago
Definitely get a set of Ripjaw Raptor in here, taking out Thundering Spineback s for them. Then for the rest of the deck I'd cut Rhonas's Monument , Thunderherd Migration , Adventurous Impulse , and 2 Ranging Raptors to play 4 Llanowar Elves , 2 more Commune with Dinosaurs , and 2 more Gigantosaurus .
Ripjaw Raptor is very hard card for red decks and other aggro decks to deal with. The reason for cutting the Monument, Ranging Raptors, and Thunderherd Migration is because there's less need for the slower, more reliable ramp when you're not playing a 7 mana dino. With the changes above, your curve will top out at 5 (discounting Ghalta) which means getting to that mana count faster is more important, hence the 4 Llanowar Elves .
3 months ago
Draconos89: I appreciate the shout-out, but I must admit I don't play Arena or MTGO, so my knowledge base isn't well suited to decks in those metas. Off the top, I definitely understand a lot of the reasoning that Lambofan217 has in his above breakdown, and would recommend going more in that direction for your deck as well.
In general, lifegain strategies are really only beneficial against aggro decks, so cards like Verdant Sun's Avatar and Imperial Ceratops fare much better in your sideboard against faster/more aggressive decks.
Rather than Kinjalli's Caller for ramp, why not Drover of the Mighty and/or Otepec Huntmaster ? If you draw into Drover after you have Marauding Raptor on the field, it is a 3/3 and thus will survive the Raptor's attack. While Huntmaster won't survive post-Marauding Raptor, it acts like another Raptor in the deck by also being a 2cmc creature that reduces the cost of your Dinos, but also has the upside of haste-ing whichever dinos enter the board after it. This helps keep pressure up on your opponent until you can drop Regisaur Alpha for the blanket haste as well. I think these non-Dino ramp creatures will be more effective in your deck than Kinjalli's Caller.
I don't really understand why you have Wilderness Reclamation in this deck, since you don't utilize any instant-speed effects besides Icon of Ancestry that benefit you keeping the mana open. I think if you keep this, you should consider adding some more mana-sinks you can activate at instant speed, like Thundering Spineback to use your mana to start building up a herd of 4/4 trample dino tokens.
I honestly think the deck is better served without Wilderness Reclamation, and replacing it with more dig/search effects to take some pressure off of Vivien. Commune with Dinosaurs seems like it would be really good in Dino tribal, since if you somehow whiff and find no dinosaurs in the top 5, you can at least grab a land instead and filter out 5 cards to get you closer to more dinos. Plus, if you include Thunderherd Migration , you can T1 Commune to dig and find a dino, then T2 Thunderherd Migration revealing the same dino you found with Commune and continue ramping to get your big dinos out faster.
Savage Stomp seems like an auto-include in any dinos deck, but especially one utilizing the Enrage mechanic. It only costs G when you target a dino, and since Fighting has the opponent's creature deal damage back it is a guaranteed Enrage trigger on top of targeted removal. That seems incredibly useful. I would probably also include one or two copies of Dinosaur Stampede as a win-con, since it is a combat trick and grants all your dinos Trample to push through that last bit of lethal damage.
Again, take all of this with a grain of salt, since I don't know very much about the MTGA meta, or what type of "typical dinosaur decks" you are trying to be different from. Either way, Dinos are pretty freaking badass though, and it seems like you have strong bones in this deck to improve upon!
6 months ago
Testing out Rampaging Brontodon in place of Thundering Spineback . I'm currently trying to decide if this is a deck that wants to go more tall (in which case Charging Tuskodon could be added) or wide ( Crested Herdcaller gets a consideration then). Grimlock's front promotes going wide while the back wants to go tall. I feel like a lot of other tribes are much better than dinosaurs at going wide, and so Thundering Spineback is taking a back seat to the very large Rampaging Brontodon for now.
7 months ago
First off, congratulations on having a fiance that plays Magic! It's something that many of us would be very lucky to have, so kudos to you!
Now, onto my observation,
I like Thundering Spineback very much in this archetype. I feel it acts really well as a mana sink, as well as a big fat creature. While it does leave us open to removal for a turn, I think it's lots better than the creature that is taking its place.
8 months ago
8 months ago
- Cut 2 or 3 lands. You run 10 ramp without counting doublers. Or cut like 2 lands and 2 ramp.
- Courser of Kruphix Not a dino, just play ramp
- Oracle of Mul Daya Not a dino, just play ramp
- Reclamation Sage Not a dino, dino does it better
- Sakura-Tribe Elder Not a dino, replace with ramp, dino ramp
- Sky Terror Too vanilla, replace with ramp or dino ramp
- Scroll Rack You did this in Narset, wasn't tht great
- Eerie Interlude Not enough ETBs to count, if this is to dodge wraths boros charm and heroic intervention are better.
- Cacophodon I'm not seeing where you are going to benefit from untapping a single target
- Path of Mettle Flip
- Sylvan Library it's a great card, but I think you are trying to just ramp and get your value off your commander.
- Mana Geyser To me this is best in mono red or in something with X spells.
- Wayward Swordtooth Not that great in EDH
- Raging Regisaur it's in here for ping i think, you didn't seem to keen on it.
- Privileged Position
- Asceticism this and priv pos are both for protecting, with your 90 haste enablers I'm not sure i'd worry about protecting.
- Neheb, the Eternal If this is here to go infinite/near infinite with Aggravated Assault run the whole busted mana package that goes infinite with it (or at least more than just 1) Sword of Feast and Famine , Druids' Repository , Bear Umbra , Grand Warlord Radha , Savage Ventmaw
- Whispersilk Cloak Only having one of this effect seems odd
- Signets - I like the new lockets better. More mana but later on you can sac them to draw cards. Up to you
- Atzocan Seer idk, feel like i'd rather just kodama's reach. HIs second ability could be relevant.
You're missing a bunch of the best dinosaur cards in my opinion
- Commune with Dinosaurs Early gets a land, late gets a dino. Always replaces itself.
- Thundering Spineback Only a 5/5 but is an anthem and makes more dinos
- Carnage Tyrant Literally the best dinosaur ever printed, has all of the keywords you'd ever want on it but haste
- Burning Sun's Avatar Bolts something, bolts someone, and is costed correctly
- Rampaging Ferocidon So good it's banned in standard, shuts down other creature based decks. Can hurt you but likely you are winning if this is hurting.
- Verdant Sun's Avatar If you wanna flip your deck, why not gain all the life at the same time
- Runic Armasaur It's a dino, it's prison, it's got better stats than it's mana
- Overgrown Armasaur Reclamation sage-esque but on a dino
- Kindred Summons 7 mana, basically same as your creatures, and can double your creature count at EOT....
- Overwhelming Stampede Your average power is like 10 in this deck, +10/+10 and trample on everything ends games.
- Naya Charm First mode is meh, second mode can be good, third mode allows you to take out someone
- Charging Monstrosaur haste and trample and on curve
- Bellowing Aegisaur This thing gets huge fast, but doesn't have trample
- Iroas, God of Victory Not a dino, but is combat relevant, makes it easier for your dinos to get through and win
That gets you no where near where you need to be. To me you have too many enchantments might look there more.
9 months ago
Some cards of possible interest that shouldn't break the bank:
Fungal Plots Dead bodies can spawn you new bodies to keep attacking and generating more mana.
Hammer of Purphoros Haste is good and extra lands become attackers if needed.
Artifact Mutation Turn their artifacts into your attackers.
Fanning the Flames Something to do with all of that mana.
Overgrown Armasaur can produce more bodies to generate more attack mana. Thundering Spineback is a mana sink that makes more bodies and Forerunner of the Empire will fetch either or Ghalta plus ding the Armasaur to make a saproling. There may be other dinos that fit in here and most aren't expensive.
Inferno Titan has a firebreathing mana sink plus can help clear the way so all of your attackers actually connect more often. Warmonger Hellkite is even less expensive to buy and gives your whole team firebreathing. You have to attack every turn but you should be wanting to do that anyway.
Gruul Guildgate and Gruul Turf are dirt cheap. Sheltered Thicket is a budget dual that Wood Elves can go fetch. Cinder Glade does the same but might be just over what you're looking to spend. Raging Ravine might also be right at that budget line but produces both your colors early and attacks when you have the mana mid to late, getting bigger each attack. Myriad Landscape , Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse can fetch the appropriate color, thin your deck and create a shuffle effect if needed.
If you happen to have Heroic Intervention I would recommend adding it but it is definitely more than what you've indicated your budget per card is.
10 months ago
Thundering Spineback occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%