Vines of the Recluse
Target creature gets +1/+2 and gains reach until end of turn. Untap it. (A creature with reach can block creatures with flying.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Vines of the Recluse Discussion
6 days ago
- Falkenrath Gorger seems a little underwhelming. Maybe Bloodlust Inciter (as an enabler), Village Messenger Flip (early-game value, plus great vs. control decks), or Bomat Courier (for some mid-game cards)?
- Especially early in the season (when I suspect everyone will be trying them out), you may want some more answers for the Gods in sideboard. Burn from Within maybe (though it might require more lands)? Or Soul-Scar Mage (though it might require more Burn spells). Hmmm ...
- I think you'll probably want some flyer hate in sideboard too. I really like Tears of Valakut and Clip Wings, but I'm trying out Vines of the Recluse too, because of the synergy with Exert.
I know you asked for thoughts on dealing with Sweltering Suns, but I frankly have no idea ...
1 month ago
The deck seems really fine but I think it could use some tinkering. First and foremost I don't think you need 23 lands, I'd drop them to 22. I don't really think the Untethered Express in the sideboard fits with the idea of the deck. Also why have both Vines of the Recluse and Natural State (I'm thinking they're against big bad flying vehicles) in the side, I think it's a bit of an overkill. I would instead put more things to protect myself from wipes and removal i.e.: more Blossoming Defense and Heroic Intervention. Again - why have both Transgress and Rot (I suppose they're both against control)? I'd personally stick with Transgress or add Pick the Brain since you already have delirium in the deck. I would suggest you go a little bit more into the delirium or revolt thing (just a suggestion, honestly don't know if it'll be any better). If you go the delirium route I think the oh so expensive Grim Flayer will be a good pick for this deck - since you have such good board control it wouldn't be hard for him to hit home and since you don't have much in the way for card draw the deck fixing could come in quite handy.
2 months ago
Looks like a good start but some of the cards in the deck like Vines of the Recluse seem out of place. Generally speaking that card is a lot better on the defense rather than being aggressive.
3 months ago
I'd suggest that cutting 1 gear hulk would be fine. It's an expansive creature and with two of them in your hand it might be too much.
Ornamental Courage just seems out of place, sure it's nice to have to untap but it won't do you a lot of good in the long run.
Highspire Infusion same as above it's a much better card then Vines or Ornamental.
Your sideboard only is allowed to use 15 cards. So you need to cut some (suggesting Soul Swallower. You can change Root Out with Appetite for the Unnatural it's a bit better since it's an instant. Jaddi Offshoot might be good in your sideboard against aggro decks.
3 months ago
A few quick thoughts ...
- I second the comments by JohnnyCRO (especially on Lambholt Pacifist Flip ... IMO, she's Best Wolf Ever.) and jellowsmurf. Well, except for the piece about Ulrich of the Krallenhorde Flip ... he has AMAZING flavor, but I've found him to be pretty meh. I want my five-drops to make a huge impact no matter how I'm doing, and his +4/+4 is not always useful (especially when behind on board). Maybe Verdurous Gearhulk or Skysovereign, Consul Flagship? Or just drop the slot entirely, in favor of more four-drops.
- I've found Moonlight Hunt to be much better than Prey Upon in a Wolf deck. We need every bit of synergy we can possibly get. Plus it's an Instant. Plus fighting Creatures with Deathtouch just rots.
- Wolves are notoriously weak to Flyers, so you'll probably want some Flyerhate in the sideboard (or maybe even the mainboard, depending on your meta). I like Clip Wings for Emrakul and Indestructible flyers, and some combo of Weaver of Lightning, Vines of the Recluse/Aim High, and Tears of Valakut for everything else. Lots of people seem to like Take Down, but I'm not a fan at all, since it can't hit Smuggler's Copter.
- Arlinn Kord Flip is especially weak to Flyers (since she comes in with only three Loyalty counters). I like 2x Nature's Way in sideboard to swap with her for that match-up.
- You might also want Natural State or Appetite for the Unnatural in the sideboard ... you can go small if your meta is just Authority of the Consuls and Smuggler's Copter or large if it includes stuff like Aetherworks Marvel, Metallurgic Summonings, and Gearhulks.
I also wanted to recommend dropping by the All things Wolven thread sometime and posting your deck. Please feel free to post it in large format too ... it makes it easier for the community!
4 months ago
I have a similar deck and find it is vulnerable to flying unless I play Spidersilk Armor but that isn't modern. So I recommend something with reach, like the Aquastrand Spider in your maybe board or some instants to give reach like: Aim High, Snare the Skies, Shape the Sands or Vines of the Recluse.
4 months ago
A few thoughts ...
- I really like some Blossoming Defense in the 75.
- Wolves are notoriously weak to Flyers, so you may want some Flyerhate in the 75. I like Clip Wings for Emrakul and Indestructible flyers, and some combo of Weaver of Lightning, Vines of the Recluse/Aim High, and Tears of Valakut for everything else. Lots of people seem to like Take Down, but I'm not a fan at all, since it can't hit Smuggler's Copter.
- I've found Ulrich of the Krallenhorde Flip to be pretty meh. I want my five-drops to make a huge impact no matter how I'm doing, and his +4/+4 is pretty much useless if I'm behind on board. They're a total flavor fail and probably not on-budget, but maybe Skysovereign, Consul Flagship or Verdurous Gearhulk instead? Or maybe shift to four-drops like Arlinn or Fleetwheel Cruiser?
5 months ago
A few quick thoughts ...
- I like Servant of the Conduit quite a bit better than Sage of Shaila's Claim, just because she can ramp out Pummeler on Turn 3, while still leaving a mana up for Blossoming Defense.
- Because Attune with Aether is so reliable, you can probably get by with a bunch fewer Lands. You'll want to test the heck out of it of course, but with a playset of Attune I'm very confortable running 19 Lands (and that's with an Ave CMC of 2.00)
- Pummeler is kind of weak to Flyers, so you may want some additional Flyerhate in your sideboard. I'm not sure what would be best for a deck this fast. Clip Wings, Plummet, or Vines of the Recluse maybe? Lots of folks seem to like Take Down, but I'm not a fan since it can't hit Smuggler's Copter.
- For more sideboard thoughts, you might want to drop by this thread sometime.