: Gain .
, , Sacrifice Cryptic Caves: Draw a card. Activate this ability only if you control five or more lands.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Cryptic Caves Discussion
2 weeks ago
EJ!! Let's do this! This build is already tight, but here are my thoughts\suggestions...
Cards I'd consider cutting: Seize the Spoils, Reckless Endeavor, Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast, Poison the Cup, Vengeful Reaper, Dream Devourer, Replicating Ring, Ward of Bones, Darksteel Forge, the flip tibalt guy, Ash Barrens, Cryptic Caves, Darksteel Citadel, Foreboding Ruins, Mortuary Mire, Zhalfirin Void
Cards I'd consider adding: Light Up the Stage, Chaos Wand, You Find Some Prisoners, Reckless Fireweaver, Valakut Exploration, Rakdos Charm, Murderous Rider, Praetor's Grasp, Rakdos Signet, Bojuka Bog, Luxury Suite, Blood Crypt, Haunted Ridge, Smoldering Marsh, Dragonskull Summit, Bloodstained Mire, Temple of Malice
I would also suggest swapping Red Elemental Blast for Pyroclasm... seems silly, but pyroclasm can be cast even if there are no blue targets. So may not be relevant, but could be randomly at some point.
2 months ago
Played a bunch today and here is results of changes.
- -1 Apex Devastator to sideboard, moved to sideboard to swap out with blightsteel/eldrazi for newer players
- -1 Temur Sabertooth, removed due to the amount of cardraw available. I feel I would rather draw than bounce.
- +1 Blightsteel Colossus to maindeck, Blightsteel is a counter to my local playgroup. We've got a lifegain deck and one deck running Pariah and Pariah's Shield. Along with Akroma's Memorial and Finale of Devastation this is my nuclear option.
- +1 Bala Ged Sanctuary Flip, land and recurrence is very valuable.
- +1 Mirrorpool, ehh fine seems ok to drop a copy of a big creature that does something,, what's the worst that can happen? :)
- -1 Mana Crypt to maybeboard, don't have one is the only reason. If I can get one,, maybe?
- +1 Jeweled Lotus, replacement for mana crypt... Now let me tell you,, jeweled -> azusa --> lotus cobra --> two fetches --> Tooth and nail.. That was a quick game!
- +1 Maze of Ith, This is at tech, really aggressive in my area! There are some cases it's death to not have an air blocker!
- +1 Petrified Field, Testing it at this time, not sure how to abuse it yet
- +1 Momentous Fall, Does not feel as bad as I initially thought. Use this defensively often times.
- +1 Cryptic Caves, niche card testing it out. Turns your crucibles into three draw for 3 mana + land drops.. 3 mana draw 3 cards... seems decent
- +1 Thespian's Stage, what does it do? answer: yes
- -1 Beast Whisperer, I have enough creatures, but the costs are too high
- +1 Zendikar Resurgent, replacement for beast whisperer, has the potential to double mana while going off
- -1 Guardian Project, same problem as beast whisperer
- +1 Return of the Wildspeaker, another large draw effect to combo off of to replace guardian
- +1 Inkmoth Nexus, bad habits die hard, keeping one in deck for "that guy" at the table.
- -1 Field of the Dead -> maybeboard, only reason I'm taking it out is I don't own it. Dropping it into maybe board
- Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger is here to stay. When you go off with a large draw dropping him is amazing. He will give you enough mana to combo off and finish on the stop at times. He's also a good target for Natural Order.
- After drawing 10 cards and drawing into Rude Awakening,, it has a new place in my heart, seems to be a keeper
- Once I hit 25 basics, I think I can just win the game. The amount of basics should stick between 24-26 and 45 lands in total to facilitate the engines. If we're slightly under half I think we're good.
- Kodama of the East Tree was potentially good enough to combo off a large draw with vorin, need to test this more!
Thinking of Cutting:
- Beacon of Creation --> , requires more testing due to new landbase
Why the sideboard was added:
- Core creatures for swapping on the sideboard are Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, Kozilek, the Great Distortion, Blightsteel Colossus, and Craterhoof Behemoth.
- Each of these creatures fills a different role. voice of hunger is a creature to combo off with on a large draw or to slow down my opponents. Butcher of truth fills your hand then wins by sacing against a single opponent or threating multiple attack if they don't sac a specific permanent (politics yeeehhh). Blightsteel teaches people that lifegain decks don't work against green edh.... craterhoof teaches people that lifegain deck's don't work against green in edh (AZUSA SMASH!!)... please stop playing lifegain decks in edh... Great Distortion draws and controls the game if your ahead.
If I'm playing against my friends then these are great. If we're trying to include someone I will swap them out for cards in the sideboard and leave in a couple.
2 months ago
Thanks Saccox. I’m still in the process of updating this deck (it was one of my earliest I posted to this site, and was in rough shape), so I’m taking any and all suggestions. I think the idea behind Barren Moor and Cryptic Caves is to utilize them for their draw power, and I’d have to say Yes the deck needs some of that. But I’d lean toward adding in Sign in Blood over the lands since it’s a bit more effective for us, or can burn the opponent in a 2-points-to-go scenario.
I like the idea of Sanctum of Stone Fangs but I get the feeling I’d need to rebuild most of the deck to get the maximum value from the card. I think I’ll pass on that one, but I can envision a deck it would do quite well in.
Oh, and I’ll be sure to replace Bile Urchin with the scorpion. Thank you for your input, as always!
2 months ago
Hey Balaam__,i hadn't noticed this deck ^^.Put some ideas:1) Cryptic Caves or Barren Moor in the mana base? 2) Sanctum of Stone Fangs or you want to do damage only with istant and sorcery? 3) Play Serrated Scorpion,it's very strong!!!
3 months ago
4 months ago
Based on this list I would make the following chnages to Ranar.
Out -> In
Cryptic Caves You have access to blue for card draw.
5 months ago
Lands to consider: Terramorphic Expanse , Myriad Landscape , Blighted Woodland , Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle , Ghost Quarter and/or Strip Mine (use them to create small combos), Thespian's Stage , Mountain Valley , Ghost Town , Jund Panorama , Naya Panorama , Ash Barrens , Wasteland , Drownyard Temple , Lotus Field , Cryptic Caves (a nice draw engine), Warped Landscape , Sunscorched Desert (repeatable damage), Command Beacon (nice way to avoid commander tax)...there's more, but you get the idea. Most of these produce some kind of mana so you won't be without it. You just need to keep the cycle of dropping lands going.
7 months ago
God-Eternal Oketra > Oketra the True Wood Elves > Sad Robot Nature's Lore > Rampant Growth Migration Path > Explosive Vegetation Scute Swarm > Entreat the Angels Other general cards to consider: Aura Fracture , Cryptic Caves , Dust Bowl (or any strip mine/wasteland/etc), Elvish Reclaimer