|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Eldritch Moon (EMN)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Escalate 2 (Pay this cost for each mode chosen beyond the first.)
Choose one or more -
Target player gains 4 life.
Untap up to two target creatures.
target opponent sacrifices an attacking creature.
Blessed Alliance Discussion
4 weeks ago
@TheRedGoat I really appreciate the input. This has given me some other cards to consider that could possibly streamline this a bit more. I was originally trying to make some sort of blink combo with
Call for Unity
so I didn't have to rely on creature destruction or exile. By telling me this gives me a better understanding of the card. I'm really bad about trying to find "hard control", I'm still used to pre-8th Edition control, compared to the more "soft control" that happens in the current state of the game.
- Revitalize over Blessed Alliance for the card draw, if it can be put on a stick.
- Sigil of the New Dawn should be put back into deck in the event of board wipes as well as Call for Unity .
- Bringing back Heliod, God of the Sun might not be a bad idea for the tokens and it synergies well with Sphere of Safety .
- Monastery Mentor and Leonin Warleader are other viable options due to Mentor of the Meek 's trigger allowing more card draw if mana is available.
1 month ago
Switching some basics for the khans taplands would greatly boost color consistency. Armillary sphere would then be better switched to Blind Obedience . It's a little over a dollar but greatly suits your deck's tap and long-game themes. 28 lands is a little high, so switching a few into some Opt would help smoothing everything over. Then changing turn aside into Mana Leak adds much more versatility to it. Take into custody could be Expose Evil for extra card draw (and two creatures is probably better than one creature for two turns). Chronic flooding just doesn't do anything. I know it's fun, I love the card too, but it doesn't help your game plan at all. Blessed Alliance isn't strictly your tap theme but it's a lot of versatile tempo options. This deck will have a nightmare of a time against noncreature decks so be mindful. Royal assassin seems to be the only reason to be in black, and waiting for turn for to use it off double black seems pointless. Probably put in some things like Spell Pierce or Negate to shore up some natural weaknesses. Cryptoplasm also seems subpar to other options, like more control cards and then just lean harder on stalling to hit sunblast angel.
1 month ago
Really think you should get 4th Ajani's Pridemate.
(BTW. What's up with Evolving Wilds?)
2 months ago
Hey man, sorry for the delay. Here is your deck
2 months ago
2 months ago
So, I ran some tests ... nothing rigorous by any means, basically just a bunch of abbreviated matches (with sideboarding) vs. a few decks from wyquem's Modern Gauntlet. In no particular order (and with all the caveats that come with limited testing), here are some thoughts:
- It felt like the deck wanted to go just a little faster than the mana-base allowed. In particular, there were a few times I wished the Isolated Chapels were Concealed Courtyard (or maybe even Caves of Koilos) instead. I know both of those are already on your 'Cards Already Considered' list, so maybe I'm just missing something ...
- Hada Freeblade was just soooo good. I really wanted to see it every draw, so I'd probably try to fit it in as a 4-of.
- I found Brave the Elements to be EXTREMELY high-variance. It was hilariously amazing in some matchups, but actively bad vs. boardwipes and Colorless Creatures (e.g., those in Hardened Affinity and Gx Tron ... plus Affinity and Eldrazi Tron, though I haven't seen them around much lately). I'm not sure what I'd swap around (and of course something like that is VERY meta-dependent), but it felt MUCH more like a sideboard card than a maindeck card to me. Kabira Evangel had similar challenges, though to a lesser extent.
Speaking of sideboard, I found myself REALLY wishing I had some more hate cards. Here are some thoughts ...
- Graveyard hate: In a current "generic" meta, I would want 4-5x for sure. Rest in Peace is amazing, and Surgical Extraction is a close second. Leyline of the Void is the fastest option, and 4x might be a necessary evil if your meta is overrun with Dredge, Hollow One, and the latest Arclight Phoenix hotness. Incidentally, RIP is amazing vs. Hardened Affinity, since it turns off Modular (from Arcbound Worker and Arcbound Ravager and Thopters from Hangarback Walker). Grafdigger's Cage is nice too in any meta with a bunch of Collected Company or Titan Shift decks.
- Boardwipes: 1-3x would have been nice (maybe zero, but only if we max out on graveyard hate ... and 3x are probably mandatory if Spirits is a thing in your meta, since they're very resistant to targeted removal. Settle the Wreckage is nice because it kind of doubles as graveyard hate, but Damnation/Wrath of God are fine too (and much harder for opponents to play around).
- Artifact hate: Stony Silence is amazing (watch out though if you end up running Captain's Claws, since it shuts down Equip). It doesn't stop everything though, so I like 2-3x Stony + 1-2x Disenchant or Fragmentize.
- Combo hate: The match-ups here were REALLY rough. 3-4x in some mix of Damping Sphere, Rule of Law/Eidolon of Rhetoric, Leyline of Sanctity, and Inquisition of Kozilek/Thoughtseize would have helped a TON.
- Tron hate: I struggled with Tron; 2x Damping Sphere (4x if I didn't also have Stony Silence) would have helped.
- Removal: I liked both Path and Push, but because they're dead vs. Combo and dead-ish vs. Control, I might back down a little from 4x of each in the 75. Maybe 3x of each and then 1-2x of a more generic removal (e.g., Oblivion Ring).
- General Utility: Auriok Champion, Aven Mindcensor, Blessed Alliance, Collective Brutality, Kambal, Consul of Allocation, Phyrexian Arena, and Runed Halo may be worth a look. You'll know it if you want them :-)
I also ran a few games with 4x Aether Vial. I cut 1x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar and 3x Join the Ranks to make room, though I'm almost certain that was not the optimal place to find the slots. Nevertheless, it really felt like a huge upgrade.
- I never brought in Gideon, Ally of Zendikar from the side, so it kind of felt like 3x in the 75 was plenty. Taking one out for a Vial was probably not correct though.
- I had very mixed feelings on Join the Ranks, which is why I chose to put the Vials there. As you mention in your description, it can make a GREAT combat trick, and it definitely bailed me out of some otherwise very sticky situations. However, Vialing in another Ally often had the same benefit, plus it's much harder for an opponent to play around. It's also 4 mana, so it was at kind of an uncomfortable point on the curve. At 4 mana I generally wanted to slam Gideon, and that got me wondering if sacrificing the Instant speed for a 3-mana effect (i.e., Oath of Gideon) might actually be better.
- Vial is of course great vs. Control, but I never realized how good it was with Drana, Liberator of Malakir. Being able to Vial her in at the end of an opponent's turn (thus avoiding all their main-phase Removal) just felt GREAT. Vialing in Kabira Evangel won a couple games too.
- Since I swapped out 4x 4-drops for the Vials, I'm pretty sure I could have run 21 Lands. Not sure where the slots would best come from, but 21 vs. 22 Lands may deserve some special attention.
Anyways, hope that something in this Wall of Text was useful, and sorry for wasting your time with the pieces that weren't!
As always, draw well!
3 months ago
I love the idea of this deck but I don't see it doing much against other modern decks.
But if you want to do budget deck any 1 mana elf like Llanowar Elves or Elvish Mystic will do the job because you need that mana acceleration to crack your clues faster. Tamiyo, Field Researcher could be cool card and she is pretty cheap. Mana Leak or Metallic Rebuke or Remand because multiple Deprive will but you back in lands especially with out mana producing creatures. Dromoka's Command can be nice removal spell that can buffs your creature.
Also for mana base in 3 colors I highly recommend getting some two color lands and real fetch lands for more reliable manabase. Temple Garden is now cheap thanks for wizard reprinting it and Hallowed Fountain and Breeding Pool are coming in next set so their price will go lower. Also Seachrome Coast and/or Razorverge Thicket if you want fast lands so you can get turn 1 white without pain. And if you have the money few Horizon Canopy are extremely powerful
For sideboard suggestions Dispell or Spell Pierce fast, cheap and effective Damping Sphere against tron and storm/other combo decks Knight of Autumn value creature that does it all, Rest in Peace, Worship, Settle the Wreckage or Supreme Verdict, Kitchen Finks, Celestial Purge, Blessed Alliance
I hope that this helps
3 months ago
Alright man, this deck has some real potential and I am super into it. The first things as you said is that you need to cut cards. You do not want to be running more than 100 otherwise it will weaken the whole deck. Some of my own suggestions would be Kiss of the Amesha, Vizkopa Guildmage, Elixir of Immortality, Spectral Searchlight, Karmic Justice, Victory Chimes, Blessed Alliance, Second Sunrise, Axis of Mortality and or Beacon of Immortality
My next thing I think your deck needs is a strong game ender. This is pretty much a control deck but you could really use a way to end a game when it gets down to just you and your "friend". Note most of my suggestions are trying to be as political as possible. Check out Corrupted Conscience, Paradox Haze, Cultural Exchange, Bribery, Mind's Dilation, Reins of Power, and Archfiend of Despair. These are just my own suggestions though I am super interested to see where this deck with go! Ps Celestial Dawn is just a good card in this deck.
Blessed Alliance occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.04%
W/U (Azorius): 0.22%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%