|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Oath of the Gatewatch||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Vampire Warrior Ally
Whenever you gain life, each opponent loses 1 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Cliffhaven Vampire Discussion
4 hours ago
Just some thoughts in case they help build off of what Immortalized said or provide any other useful things to look at:
There are a lot of other draw cards too that you might consider:
- Ambition's Cost / Ancient Craving / Read the Bones / Sign in Blood are decent cheap black draw spells that cost a little bit of life
- Phyrexian Arena
- Fact or Fiction
- Telling Time / Brainstorm / Ponder / Preordain / Foresee If you want some Scry/Shuffle/Deck Manipulation with your draw
And countless more. In a deck like this though there's a lot of value to be had in something like Phyrexian Arena since 1 life per upkeep is no biggie with Oloro around
Here's some other good removal to think about:
- Merciless Eviction and Austere Command can give you a lot of options
- Cyclonic Rift / Wash Out / Aether Gale can set an opponent back a lot. Cyclonic Rift for it's overload is the best!
- Curse of the Swine is always fun
- Supreme Verdict if you get overwhelmed or desperate. It's strictly better in my opinion that Wrath of God or Day of Judgment
- Toxic Deluge is another great creature removal if you have life to spare
Slow Down Taxes
Here are some cards that can really halt your opponent's aggression:
- Ghostly Prison / Propaganda / Sphere of Safety to make them pay to attack
- Rhystic Study to make them pay additional for each spell they cast (or let you draw)
- Imposing Sovereign
- Fog Bank / Guard Gomazoa / Wall of Frost Fun cheap defenders that can stick around or eat removal
Some other creatures worth mentioning that tax an opponent's life:
- Fate Unraveler Damage on draw. Can be great for forcing end of game on an opponent's draw step if you get your combos set and can't push it over the edge (unlikley). At any rate he can be pesky.
- Blood Artist / Blood Seeker / Cliffhaven Vampire / Deathgreeter / Falkenrath Noble / Suture Priest / Zulaport Cutthroat All sorts of interactions and costs associated with creatures.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation Life cost to play spells. Another great way to trip some combos and source life for draws.
Here's some other cards that are worth noting:
- Pristine Talisman combos well if you have Oloro out (Tap to gain life, spend the mana to draw the card and cost each opponent 1 life)
- Baleful Strix can be great utility in this kind of deck
- Reliquary Tower Is always great in draw decks
One card I'd definitely recommend ditching is Azor's Elocutors.
Other cards I see that I'd consider removing if it was me:
- Palisade Giant CMC too high for too little bonus in my opinion.
- Azorius Chancery / Dimir Aqueduct / Orzhov Basilica . I've seen these mess up players' tempo and strategy so many times. They're also great value for any opponents running land destruction. Some other options to consider could include: Drowned Catacomb / Glacial Fortress / Isolated Chapel if you want faster mana. OR Temple of Silence / Temple of Enlightenment / Temple of Deceit if you want the bonus scry. OR maybe even something as simple as Scoured Barrens / Tranquil Cove / Dismal Backwater in the hopes the 1 life lets you get a bonus draw.
I used to play an Oloro deck as well (albeit it with a very different affinity ) using a ton more artifacts and some fun combinations around Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk . He's a great commander and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the deck and can find something useful in any of my suggestions.
Good luck and happy hunting!
1 day ago
I think it would be worth changing 1 Expedition Envoy and 2 Drana's Emissary into 3 Kambal, Consul of Allocation. I think he paired with one or more Cliffhaven Vampire should be a threat you want to focus on.
3 days ago
Idyllic Tutor Actually isnt that bad of an Idea. It'd definitely help to get some winning combos out; however, I've never been a big fan of Vampiric Tutor because of it goes on top rather than In hand. It Is a good card though, so adding it might be a good idea, eveb if It's just in the sideboard. Two life isnt anything when comparing it to what I've seen this deck do.
In response to Ob Nixilis Reignited I just feel like he wouldn't fit well within the deck. I've ran him in some other decks and I've never been a big fan.
Cliffhaven Vampire and Defiant Bloodlord are cards that would totally be worth adding into the deck! It'd definitely allow me to focus more on the combo. A Demonic Tutor wouldn't hurt either. Having that extra tutor never hurts.
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll look into making so adjustments. The feed back helps tremendously.
3 days ago
4 days ago
Archangel_of_Entropy Thanks for the feedback!
Animation Module seemed like a great repeatable Servo token production engine to sink extra mana into whenever I place a counter, which I do often. With Indulgent Aristocrat its a repeatable + to drop a +1 counter on each of my vampires, or I can end up making more Servo fodder from the extra triggers. I think being able to maintain enough sac fodder is important, especially since having extra can help feed a game winning Ormendahl, Profane Prince Flip. An Animation Module on board is great to have, though 2 is useless, which is why its a 2-of and not a 4-of like Hidden Stockpile.
As far as Cliffhaven Vampire he's not as great as Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet for the CMC, but he has a decent butt for blocking as a 2/4 flying. The passive life gain from Drana's Emissary and all the lifelink from whenever I attack or block with Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet, Gifted Aetherborn, or Indulgent Aristocrat gives us plenty of life gain opportunities to ping our opponent down, making him pretty good offensively or defensively.
I do agree that I think the deck could use some card advantage. Hidden Stockpile's sac to Scry 1 is something but it's not quite enough. Sorin, Grim Nemesis is totally on theme and offers card draw, life loss, life gain, removal, and an almost guaranteed game winning ultimate. At CMC though, he's a bit costly, but could prove useful in mid to late game to wear out my opponent in a more defensive matchup since he should be pretty easy to defend and build up to a win, so I'm definitely thinking of including him in the mainboard.
Other options for card advantage were Asylum Visitor, a decent draw engine with a 3/1 vamp body. However with no opportunity to discard my hand or my opponent's, I'm not sure how often I can take advantage of the card draw unless I'm top-decking. Adding in Heir of Falkenrath Flip to make it work is an option, though I'm not sure what I'd pull out for them. Probably 2 for 2 with Drana's Emissary and Cliffhaven Vampire.
Another option is adding in spells like Altar's Reap, which makes a great response to a kill spell or otherwise just target a Servo for two cards. If we want to spend life instead of creatures we can go with Succumb to Temptation instead. Another decent option and also on theme though would be Vampiric Rites, and sacrificing a creature to draw a card and gaining a life instead of losing it.
Just some thoughts, I need to proxy and playtest it to see how it goes, but if anyone would like to give it a go, let me know how it works and what changes you made and suggestions you have!
4 days ago
I think this has potential. It has answers to the meta. May need to drop a card or 2 for consistency. I am not big on Cliffhaven Vampire or Animation Module. This deck needs non-mana card Advantage and right on theme, I would add Sorin, Grim Nemesis main and bring some Gideon out of the sideboard.
6 days ago
It also combos with the Cliffhaven Vampire you already run.
6 days ago
To streamline this deck, I personally would run only 2 color and 60 cards. Having only BW would limit a few of the things you could do, but would provide you with a more consistent function, and allow for greater theme in your deck. I might splash green for several spells.
I hope that that will get you started, and good luck with your deckbuilding!