|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Dawn of the Dead
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 1 life.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may return target creature card from your graveyard to play. That creature gains haste until end of turn. Remove it from the game at end of turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Dawn of the Dead Discussion
2 months ago
Thanks for your input... that's actually a pretty interesting idea and not a card I'd previously considered.
I'm more inclined to have things roll back onto the battlefield via Gift of Immortality or Dawn of the Dead just so I can have them become available quicker for threat and/or Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim's sacrifice ability. Dawn of the Dead becomes absolutely brutal if you start recurring heavies like the Wurmcoil Engine and have any of the health plinkers out Suture Priest, Soul's Attendant or Soul Warden. Even if you just have two of them on the field, Wurmcoil comes in with haste and triggers two points of life gain - attack with it, sac it for 6 points of life gain before end of turn, it produces two wurm tokens, triggering four MORE points of life gain - and so on and so on.
I'll have to consider it though... really ponder the options.
Thanks again for your help!
2 months ago
3 months ago
3 months ago
Tree of Perdition is super strong together with Ayli. Karmic Guide and Reveillark have super good reanimator effects and make a good infinite life combo together with Pawn of Ulamog wich is tutorable with Buried Alive. Another good reanimator card is Dawn of the Dead. Of course Westvale Abbey Flip is very strong and fits into the style of the Deck. Last but not least Helm of the Gods can make lifegain through ayli much better and is a solid one drop. I would suggest put out cards like Unburial Rites and Beacon of Unrest. I'm not sure about cards like Ashnod's Altar and Attrition are they good enough to stay in the Deck while your commander is such a good sac outlet? If you have some time to "waste" just take a look at my Ayli Deck and make some suggestions on it too. Its inspired by your Deck.
5 months ago
I'm in the process of revamping my Ayli deck into a tribal deck and your decklist gives me some great ideas so thank you for that. Welcome back to magic :) Some feedback for you:
I think instead of categories named "ramp" and "mana rocks", they should be "ramp" and "draw". This will give you a better idea of how many draw spells you actually have, which (in my opinion) you don't have enough for such a low mana curve. And on the ramp side of things, I'd stick in 2-3 more.
More commander protection.
Considerations for adds
- Westvale Abbey Flip - Good alternative win-con and an okay token generator if you have nothing else to do
- Wrath of God / Fumigate / etc - OG wrath, and a great on-theme wrath. I'd recommend more than just the one you have but it depends on playgroup. Also casting this after you get the Battalion trigger from Frontline Medic makes me foam at the mouth
- Suture Priest - second cousin of the soul sisters
- Pious Evangel Flip - third cousin,twice removed in-law of the soul sisters
- Sun Titan - Double recursion, and you have so many targets with your curve
- Dawn of the Dead - What's nice about this recursion option is you aren't forced to exile the creature if it'd somehow leave the battlefield through other means cough Ayli cough
- Knight of the White Orchid - ramp
- Wayfarer's Bauble - ramp
- Sword of the Animist - ramp. You'll most likely sac the creature away before combat resolves anyway.
- Pristine Talisman - ramp, lifegain. Best of the bunch of 3 CMCs for this deck. Possibly 1-2 additional 3/4 CMC* rocks.
- Oath of Lieges - ramp
- Swiftfoot Boots - protection
- Gift of Immortality - protection. I love comboing with this and a high toughness creature although it can also be used for Ayli
- Darksteel Plate - protection
- Trading Post - great utility for this deck
- Heliod, God of the Sun - Not the best God out there but very thematic for the deck
- Viridian Longbow - turns Ayli into a sniper with her Deathtouch
- Illusionist's Bracers - double up Ayli's abilities
- Custodi Soulbinders - big boy in multiplayer
- Mikaeus, the Unhallowed - if you have a lot of non-humans this could go a long way
- Archangel of Thune / Cliffhaven Vampire / Vizkopa Guildmage - weaponize that lifegain
- Pontiff of Blight - I see him in your sideboard--I think his ability is great for this deck and he's got a big butt
- Phyrexian Processor - with enough lifegain you could make X pretty large. Combos great with Children of Korlis
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel - this guy can damn near win the game for you if you can recur him enough times
- Tree of Perdition - somewhat gimmicky but you can see its potential with Ayli
- Any of the three Elspeth Planeswalkers are solid in this deck.
- draw - I'm struggling with this myself. Ambition's Cost, Greed, Necropotence, Jar of Eyeballs, Dark Prophecy, Mind's Eye, Disciple of Bolas, Harvester of Souls, Promise of Power
Considerations for removal
- Exorcist - I'm not a fan because it's only black, that's too restrictive
- Orzhov Signet - *my issue with the signet is that it's CMC is 2 which conflicts with Ayli. I'd rather get slightly more value out of a 3 CMC the turn after
- Orzhov Pontiff - Ability seems minimal at best but maybe i have tunnel vision
- Hidden Stockpile - Maybe switch to Bitterblossom if price isn't a concern. Or, if you add some of the other token generators maybe this one won't be needed anyway
- Martyr of Sands - Not nearly enough card draw to get a huge benefit out of this
6 months ago
Hey, I really like the theme here. I kind of think you could throw in some more Reanimate options, Living Death could potentially kill the table in the right circumstances. There's also Mimic Vat, Corpse Dance and possibly even Dawn of the Dead(they don't exile if they self sac) to reuse the Ball Lightning creatures.
6 months ago
Dawn of the Dead, I have been running this card in my deck and it has provided enormous results. It really helps deal with situations of running out of gas. Something as simple as Harvester of Souls on the field and saccing the creature you recur every turn for a draw is huge. Also attacking with a hasty skittles from the graveyard every turn or being able to safely use magus of the coffers ability can end the game nicely.
7 months ago
Weirdhat I've been meaning to add it but 1. for some reason i actually dont own this card 2. I cant think of what to take out any suggestions? its great at causing a pretty op loop with xiahou but i can do this with Dawn of the Dead and him as well