|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Karlov of the Ghost Council
Legendary Creature — Spirit Advisor
Whenever you gain life, put two +1/+1 counters on Karlov of the Ghost Council.
Remove six +1/+1 counters from Karlov of the Ghost Council: Exile target creature.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Karlov of the Ghost Council Discussion
1 week ago
How attached are you to your commander? if you dont mind putting him in the 99 I'd suggest Karlov of the Ghost Council because he does exactly what you want to do, gain life and exile creatures. also Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim and the recently spoiled Vona, Butcher of Magan would also do well. on the note of Ayli, you could also consider making cleric tribal with Ayli or leave karlov as commander. theres a lot of support for it so i'd suggest looking into it. also Ghostly Prison and No Mercy may be good as deterrents bc you want to keep your life total.
3 weeks ago
Hey TheSpiritombEnthusiast, I really appreciate your input. I've never heard of a lot of those cards! My thoughts:
- Winter Orb - I'd like to run this, but I only have a couple of things in the deck that can tap it. (I do love the fact that the text has been updated to maintain the "tap to turn off" rule that used to apply to all "continuous" artifacts.)
- Torpor Orb - Hooboy, I can see this forcing some decks into "creative" play and causing some frustration. And a two drop! I like...
- Trinisphere - Nice, but same comment as I had for Winter Orb. If I can figure out a reliable way to control it, I could see it fitting nicely.
- Defense Grid - Wow. I guess this probably slows things down a lot but fills the board with permanents over a few turns? Seems powerful for sure.
- Aetherflux Reservoir - Now that is a ridiculous card. Must have.
- Karlov of the Ghost Council - I was looking for something to replace High Priest of Penance, and this is absolutely perfect!
- Sphere of Safety - Nice! Not sure if my enchantment subtheme is quite strong enough to run this right now, but I will definitely keep it in mind.
- Test of Endurance - This seems almost too powerful in EDH. But it does provide a reliable win condition, something I think this deck is lacking.
- Celestial Convergence - This one I'm a bit less excited about, but I guess if I learn to work the life gain properly it should work well for me.
- Dream Tides - If I ever get around to putting a side board together, this will be in it.
- Crawlspace - Back in the day I wouldn't have thought much of this card, but that was before you could generate an army of token critters. Nice one.
Again, thanks a lot for your feedback. Do you have any suggestions for cuts? I've monkeyed around with this deck to the point that I'm starting to feel unreasonably attached to everything in it.
3 weeks ago
Welcome to the format! Fellow Oloro player here. Perusing over your decklist, this seems like a great start. That mana curve is just glorious. I know you said that you wanted a deck that's fun to play against, but I'm really feeling a lean towards a stax build, what with all the permanent destruction and bounce effects you've got in here. Drop in some things like Winter Orb, Torpor Orb, Trinisphere, Defense Grid, and the like. Though honestly, you could go in just about any direction. Lifegain builds usually run things like Aetherflux Reservoir and Karlov of the Ghost Council, and those could easily be swapped in. Since Zur is here, you could also run an enchantment subtheme, adding in some things like Sphere of Safety, Test of Endurance, and so on. A decent few of those are old cards as well. Addressing the vintage theme, Celestial Convergence, Dream Tides, and Crawlspace are all good choices with older printings. Good luck!
4 weeks ago
Looks like a decent start! If you're going full blown lifegain, I'd say you're missing a few things. Aetherflux Reservoir is a staple for Oloro, and should be here. Karlov of the Ghost Council is a great source of removal and should also probably be here, as with Ivory Tower. I'd also recommend a bit more ramp, like Talisman of Dominance, Talisman of Progress, and Mind Stone. Maybe Chromatic Lantern. Beacon of Immortality, too, perhaps? I'm not really sure where you're going besides lifegain, but I'd suggest Propaganda, Ghostly Prison, and Sphere of Safety. I'll leave a link to my own Oloro for reference, if you want to check it out. Good luck with this! I'll be glad to help out if you need more advice!
1 month ago
Some suggestions for your current lifegain strategy.
1 month ago
Well... judging by the theme to these vamps Karlov of the Ghost Council could lay a major beatdown in combo with them
1 month ago
"Absolute garbage deck with little to no chance of winning" - well not with that attitude! I kid, but in all seriousness, it sounds like you're having a tough time with your deck. I guess it'd be safe to assume you ha ve no reliable wincons. So, we have two options here - you switch commanders, or try and figure out something what can enable you to win. I'll give you my thoughts on each option:
Switching commanders: So, you have a commander that's an angel. To my surprise, she's the only WB angel there is. Go figure. So every other option is non-angel...but you do have some very interesting choices.
Mind you, I didn't list all of the cards because IMO, these are probably the more popular choices and the most expensive (sorry!). The idea behind choosing a commander is choosing a creature that speaks to you. Something you like about the way they play, what they embody stuff like that. If you have any thoughts regarding any of the previously mentioned cards, let me know and we can try to build a deck that's more centered around it.
Figure out something - so if we stick with Selenia, Dark Angel as our commander I think the most reliable way to get her to win is to voltron her up. Basically, we'd just rely mostly on just her winning us the game. So we would use cards like:
Just to name a few. The idea would be that your commander would be so well equipped that she'd be nigh impossible to deal with for hte rest of the table. Additionally, you'd have to have a means of protecting yourself. Cards like:
- Ghostly Prison
- Angelic Arbiter
- Privileged Position
- Engineered Plague
- Hissing Miasma
- Ensnaring Bridge
- No Mercy
Just to name a few. But the idea is that you build up a defense while your opponents have to deal with your commander who will stand vigil in front of the wall you build. As you constantly equip and build her up, she becomes a legitmate threat on the board. Of course, there are other creatures that are better suited to this strategy, but given what she has this is the best I can come up with. I'm sure there are smarter people out there that would have better ideas though. Don't give up!
1 month ago
Well after looking at the deck and doing some soul searching, I believe you can nix Karlov of the Ghost Council in favor of Eldrazi Displacer. Karlov is an excellent card, but his exile ability is a bit too costly.