|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masters 25 (A25)||None|
|Magic Origins (ORI)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Warrior
When Enthralling Victor enters the battlefield, gain control of target creature an opponent controls with power 2 or less until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn. (It can attack and this turn.)
Enthralling Victor Discussion
4 months ago
berryjon: im gonna have to strongly disagree that rosewater is in touch with the community, or undeserving of his criticism. if he were in touch with the community, he wouldn't be making decisions that a large portion of us don't like. this is a man who said "Rampant Growth is too strong". if i had been his boss, i'd have fired him immediately for that comment alone. i (and many others) am also not a fan of him saying that "cheesecake" art is bad, but Enthralling Victor (recently reprinted in battlebond) is just fine.
5 months ago
2 years ago
Bazaar Trader and Conjurer's Closet to Shanghai the opposing creatures with. Enthralling Victor for the little ones (and his art). Starke of Rath and Humble Defector are targets when you are playing creatureless opponents (and flavor). If you add those two include Homeward Path.
2 years ago
I feel like the flavour could be pushed up a notch or two. Throw in some looting/rummaging effects Academy Raider, Curse of Chaos, Daretti, Scrap Savant, Vaultbreaker, Dragon Mage, Wild Guess, to name a few. Prophetic Flamespeaker to get cards off the top, Grenzo, Havoc Raiser to get cards off the top of others' decks.
2 years ago
Our decks are quite similar! Sort of. I like the direction you're taking. Very cool! The idea of creatures-as-utility is generally quite sound in EDH and is quite flavorful for a Zurgo deck to boot. I see you're a budget builder like me so my suggestions will keep that in mind.
Have you built this deck physically yet?
I would add Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds. It's not quite budget but a Command Tower will help immensely. Vivid Crag, Vivid Marsh, and Vivid Meadow are decent mana-fixers for the price. Slow lands are bad lands and all, but on a budget you don't have a choice. Darksteel Ingot, Transguild Promenade, Mardu Banner, Rupture Spire, and Nomad Outpost come recommended as well.
Assault Suit is an auto-include in my opinion. It's practically made for Zurgo. It makes it so Zurgo is indestructible when it's not your turn and potentially adds commander damage and/or counters to boot (commander damage doesn't factor in who controls the creature. It's tallied per-commander). If you can get a counter or two, or any anthem effect, it gets Zurgo into two-hit K.O. territory. Get double strike somehow and you can one-hit-K.O.! Arashin Foremost is a great include for this.
Archetype of Aggression and Archetype of Courage are good. Zurgo doesn't need first strike on offense but on defense it can make him deadly. Adarkar Valkyrie is super-sick. Intrepid Hero is awesome-sauce too.
You don't have to go artifact-voltron the way I did but a Fireshrieker or Loxodon Warhammer would be good. Kusari-Gama and Grappling Hook are amazing for Zurgo as well. Swiftfoot Boots are nice and quite cheap. The haste is wasted but it protects against most exile effects and keeps Zurgo safe when it's not your turn. Worldslayer is a funny one. I know land destruction is bad manners but it's pretty much the end of the game if Zurgo equips it and gets through.
I know he's right o the cusp of being a budget card, but Brutal Hordechief is stellar for Zurgo. Absolutely beastly.
Wrath effects are especially good for Zurgo decks, as he survives and can start sweeping. I see you have several, which is good. If you can get mass indestructibility it's even better. Frontline Medic, Boros Charm (slightly non-budget, I know), Soul of New Phyrexia, etc can work. I think there are a few more. Some sort of Loxodon cleric? Maybe a mass blink effect... I think it's non-budget though. You get the idea. Assemble the Legion + Eldrazi Monument is funny. The monument isn't budget but it's not expensive either. YMMV.
Sire Of Insanity is, I think, quite good for when Zurgo is finally out rampaging. Excellent choice. I'm thinking about adding one to my deck.
Personally I would try to get more mana ramp in your deck since Zurgo has a gargantuan target painted on his back and starts at 5 CMC, which I consider kinda high. Helps with equip costs, too. Spring for a Sol Ring. Everyone else will have one.
You should include Utter End; it has Zurgo in the picture!
I would cut Spike Jester, Dreadbringer Lampads, Blood-Chin Fanatic, and Enthralling Victor. I would drop a few of the single-target damaging effects. I have definitely won games by swinging the momentum my way with them but they aren't consistent. Consistency is the name of the game--that's why tutor effects are so powerful.
Speaking of which, Godo, Bandit Warlord is super-sick. He's pricey (but not Damnation or Maze of Ith pricey) but he does two great things. First, he tutors in an equipment, potentially making Zurgo unstoppable. Second, he grants a second attack phase. It may seem lame because only Samurai get untapped but if you have vigilance on some creatures (or all of them! Brave the Sands, Always Watching , Heliod, God of the Sun, Herald of Dromoka you have, etc) they can attack a second time in the second phase since they never tapped to attack. Worth splurging on, IMO.
Hope that helps!
2 years ago
I like the deck idea. I was actually thinking about trying to build something based around the Willbreaker interactions. Kiora is a nice thought as she is a cheap costing planeswalker with relevant abilities with or without Willbreaker on the field. Here are a few of my thoughts...
1. Willbreaker needs to be on the field as quickly as possible to start 'acquiring' your opponent's assets. I think cards like Anticipate and Nagging Thoughts may help you dig for what you need, albeit a land or Willbreaker itself. In a similar vein, Retreat to Coralhelm can pull double duty on that one, either letting you scry to set up your draws or target a creature with the tap/untap option to steal it...
2. Other creatures and/or threats. Duskwatch Recruiter Flip seems like a really good addition because he comes out early, and as early as turn 3 can start sifting through the library 3 cards at a time to find Willbreaker.
3. Willbreaker will need protecting once it's out. Mizzium Meddler can act as a filter for spot removal. Someone targeted Willbreaker with a kill spell? Just flash the Meddler in and he takes the Ruinous Path on the chin instead. Glint gives a creature hexproof, which is handy in a pinch and also gives it +0/+3 which means it will survive Languish, Grasp of Darkness, Lightning Axe or other damage based spells. How about a combination of a Meddler and Glint? Say hello to Void Grafter!
4. Resiliency may be an issue after your opponent knows what you are up to. If you manage to get Willbreaker out, maybe you can copy him with something like Altered Ego? Or use it to copy something nasty that your opponent has as a deterrent from attacking.
5. Adding another color. If you decide to add a third color, say splashing white, you gain access to Center Soul which gives pseudo hexproof (read color specific) or you could run Sigarda, Heron's Grace which gives you and all humans hexproof. A plus is that she can be grabbed by the Recruiter's ability...
Adding red gets real fun real quick...Eldrazi Obligator, Enthralling Victor, Act of Treason, Malevolent Whispers, Turn Against, Lose Calm, etc.
3 years ago
I like the use of Zada, Hedron Grinder as a finisher, but given that you have Zada, why are you running Volcanic Strength? What about Incite Hysteria or a Intimidator Initiate? I know you want the mountainwalk so you can give them a mountain and then have an unblockable creature. This way you might have more than just one.
No data for this card yet.