Creature — Bird
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Healer's Hawk Discussion
1 month ago
I'm glad I could help! I have some other suggestions if it's no longer budget (I won't include Mana Crypt an stuff though haha) and you want to improve it some more: I see that you also have Ohran Frostfang , which is a great deterrent for your opponents deciding to block. Another good source of Deathtouch could be Bow of Nylea , which also does some other cool abilities on top of giving deathtouch. Some other good drawing enchantments include Garruk's Uprising , Elemental Bond , and Colossal Majesty . Since you run anthems, these guys can trigger on your weenies too. If you want something more consistent, Beast Whisperer and Mentor of the Meek are also good draw power. A fun card that puts creatures onto your opponent's side of the board is Hungry Lynx , especially because it gives your commander protection from the creatures it makes! Legion Loyalist seems perfect in this deck since he gives all your creatures first strike, trample, and evasion from tokens, and all of those things make it easier to get the goad trigger. Dragonmaster Outcast and Emeria Angel can make even more flying tokens to get that sweet goading trigger. Feldon of the Third Path seems good for when things are inevitably in the graveyard and you want to use them. Blade of Selves lets you use a creature you already have even more! Some other ramp that you haven't included is Selesnya Signet , Sol Ring , Rampant Growth , and Sword of the Animist . Anthems that you might consider are War Horn , Spear of Heliod , and Glory of Warfare .
The cards I would cut include: The small creatures with only a landwalk ability, like Dwarven Grunt and Treetop Scout ( Dryad Sophisticate is good, though). They are limited in their ability to get in for damage, and don't do much else beyond that, which makes them your more weak cards. I agree with your decision to try to cut the Hunted Troll , but the Hunted Dragon seems good since you can swing immediately and goad the tokens it makes. Although the Soltari creatures with shadow are good, I think you may have too many of them--they are intensive, and only Soltari Champion and Soltari Visionary really do anything when you use them. The Healer's Hawk and Segovian Angel are basically really bad Serra Ascendant s. If you want the 1-drop, maybe consider Figure of Destiny (gets bigger) or even Rhys the Redeemed (makes tokens). Citadel Siege and Dictate of Heliod are too slow and/or costly to make an impact, in my opinion. You know your meta better though.
1 month ago
I don't think there's many scenarios, if any, where you'll be happy to play a 2/1 for 2 to eventually get a 2/1 for 3 if you attack. You should remove all 4 Fearless Liberator and instead add 4 Kargan Intimidator . It's easy to miss, but he can target your own humans (or himself) to make them "cowards" (and no longer human) to trigger Winota, Joiner of Forces .
Usually decks that run Winota, Joiner of Forces don't play planeswalker because more often than not you'll see them when you miss with Winota, Joiner of Forces 's trigger and then they'll spend the rest of the game under the library. Your high cost cards should normally be cards that she can cheat into play. Either way, Lukka, Coppercoat Outcast won't achieve much either because you have a wide variety of different CMC creatures to hit with him, he's normally played in decks with only giant creatures and token generators so he always hits good.
I wish I knew how to make good use of Victory's Envoy because she seems fun, but in reality she's a 3/3 that does nothing when she comes into play. If you're going off with Winota, Joiner of Forces hey ability probably won't even come into play, and even if it does, chances are you still would've been better off with any other big hitter instead. You would surely do much better if you just added a 2nd copy of your big legendary dudes like Kenrith, the Returned King and Haktos the Unscarred .
Btw, I'm not sure if you know but Taranika, Akroan Veteran will not trigger if she's put into play by Winota, Joiner of Forces because then she's already attacking, so she's not a great hit either. She would shine more in a deck that plays small stuff with keywords like Healer's Hawk or even Alseid of Life's Bounty .
3 months ago
Swiftblade Vindicator Healer's Hawk Danitha Capashen, Paragon Archetype of Aggression Archetype of Courage Aerial Responder Brave the Sands Angelic Skirmisher Kediss, Emberclaw Familiar angelic field marshall Moraug, Fury of Akoum Segovian Angel Master Warcraft Response / Resurgence Reckless Assault Fury of the Horde World at War True Conviction Bonders' Enclave Bond of Discipline Seize the Day Magus of the Wheel Sandstone Oracle Dragon Mage Generator Servant Hellkite Charger
6 months ago
This deck functions both as a creature aggro deck and as a midrange deck. For this reason Healer's Hawk and Leonin Vanguard fit both roles perfectly as they are early beaters and give you the important gain life trigger and most importantly allow you go get the trigger each turn. While Ajani's Welcome only allows you to get a trigger when you cast a creature, which will happen less often the more the game goes on. And also it does nothing for the aggro element of the deck.
I was skeptical of Fountain of Renewal as well, but it gives you reach in the form of getting the trigger every turn while you wait for your creatures to get big enough to crush your opponent which can be pretty handy on the defense. Also 4X Bloodthirsty Aerialist are already in the deck.
8 months ago
Cards such as Hooded Blightfang, Clackbridge Troll and Mangara, the Diplomat are all unnecessary in this deck. If you are looking for card draw, running 3-4 Dawn of Hope would work. As for Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose running 3, would be optimal. Another card that could work well in this deck is Elspeth, Sun's Nemesis. Also Lone Rider Flip and Healer's Hawk are better than Vampire of the Dire Moon and Soulmender in my opinion.
8 months ago
If you'd like some inspiration for your list, I have 2 Orzhov lists you can look at that I like. This one is more in tune with what you're looking to do, this other one is more based discouraging the opponent from doing anything by playing cards that make them lose life for interactions. Might be worth checking out!
- Baneslayer Angel (Good in a vacuum, not great for what this list wants to do. A touch too slow.)
- Tymaret, Chosen from Death (Too cute. Functionally he doesn't bring you closer to your Vito win-con, and his ability isn't really what you'd want to be spending mana on to do so.)
- Ill-Gotten Inheritance (I see what you're going for here, but it also feels too cute. It's not bad, just not fantastic either.
- Basri Ket (He's just making bad cards better. He's unnecessary for your Vito win-con.)
- Evolving Wilds (This can easily be swapped for Fabled Passage, does the same thing but can have lands enter untapped.)
- Radiant Fountain (You're not going to be finding this on the draw, and doesn't really help you otherwise. Might as well swap that for another Swamp)
- Scoured Barrens and Temple of Silence (All for these, but for the amount of 1-3 drop creatures you're looking to play, it would seem like you're going to be running into some mana issues. Would absolutely put in some Godless Shrine for this list since you can just heal back the damage it deals anyhow)
- Griffin Aerie (Another cute card. I get what you're going for with it, but I don't know how well it helps you get into your Vito win-con.)
- Light of Hope (Feels a bit niche. Not quite cute, just niche. There's likely better cards than this.)
As a general note, decent cards that make bad cards better aren't the answer. Look at how your win condition is typically met, and find more direct and impactful ways to influence it.
Cards You Got Right
- Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose (Duh)
- Heliod, Sun-Crowned (Definitely works in your favor, just gotta watch out for your devotion.)
- Mangara, the Diplomat (Interesting card, definitely can serve as a nice draw engine against aggro decks)
- Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord (He's great utility, and 100% sets you up to get a bunch of Vito triggers)
- Healer's Hawk (Staple lifegain creature, is super easy to get down and make use out of)
- Heartless Act or Eliminate (Could be a replacement for Mortify, as both are cheaper and have a little more use)
- Fabled Passage (See above for Evolving Wilds)
- Godless Shrine (See above for Scoured Barrens and Temple of Silence)
- Rhox Faithmender (A nice addition to the list, makes the Vito triggers hit even harder)
- Ajani, Strength of the Pride (Nice way to gain life, and he can easily sweep the board if he needs to)
- Ajani's Pridemate and/or Bloodthirsty Aerialist (Plays into that 'Whenever you gain life, put a 1/1 on a creature' thing you seem to like)
8 months ago
Vampire of the Dire Moon gives you some removal and lifelink. I would go down to at most 2 each of any legendary creatures you have. Maybe more for Vito since he is integral to causing damage when you gain life. I would replace all Indulging Patrician with Healer's Hawk. You can get them out way faster and having a flying lifelink buffed sooner is better. Then you can use Alseid of Life's Bounty for his sacrificing instead to keep your big hitters alive.
9 months ago
Nice deck. It might be an idea to introduce some more one drops here, preferably with lifelink so you can get the lifegain going early. Healer's Hawk, Vampire of the Dire Moon and Banehound each fit this nicely, and each bring something a little different. Hawk might be useful since you don’t really have many ways of dealing with fliers, the Vampire having deathtouch can scare off a lot of aggression (although might not be necessary, depends how much life you’re gaining), and Banehound offers very strong aggression.
If you’re going for a token deck, Anointed Procession feels like it should be worth considering. However, I feel that at the moment the token elements of this deck are quite slow and expensive. Something like a Leonin Warleader might be a better option, since it makes the tokens without requiring more mana to be put in, plus the tokens have lifelink. Cubwarden does a similar job, with more immediate effect, but you might need to run more non-humans to make it work. Ajani, Strength of the Pride also seems pretty good, since it has a direct lifegain ability that will scale with the size of your board, the ability to make tokens of possibly the best card in a lifegain deck, and an emergency reset button should you ever need it. As a final token card, Crested Sunmare can be great for closing out a game with big, indestructible beaters. Plus, it can make extra tokens if you gain life on your opponents turn as well.
Hope this is helpful to you, and good luck with the deck.