|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Betrayers of Kamigawa||Rare|
Combos Browse all
In the Web of War
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, it gets +2/+0 and gains haste until end of turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
In the Web of War Discussion
4 days ago
5 days ago
Sweet deck! Maybe In the Web of War? I have a feeling Neheb will be dying a good amount and you can never have enough haste.
3 weeks ago
For removal the fight mechanic like Prey Upon, Savage Punch, Ulvenwald Tracker, Unnatural Aggression, Mutant's Prey, Epic Confrontation, etc. could be fun and flavorful for hydras (at least in my head).
Hope something here helps!
1 month ago
checking out this list and offering my constructive criticism :D
Please keep in mind that this is just my take on Scion, there's definitely a lot of ways you can build it, so these comments are going with the train of though that being voltron for the win is the most efficient path to victory :D
I'll break it down by category:
Lands:I'd probably cut minamo and high market. From there, I think 36 lands is fine, and I'd play 2 of each basic to play around non-basic hate and to take advantage of some other effects from cards I'll mention later.
I'd also consider running ancient tombs in place of Crystal Quarry, cascading cataracts just seems like a better version
Sorcery:I feel like these should mostly be either- Powerful board wipes- Powerful card draw- Stuff that will win you the game
My reasoning for this is that this deck probably draws stuff it doesn't want to/can't play, and those cards end up being dead in the hand for too long.
In your list, I'd probably cut:
1x Channel the Suns - this card takes up a slot to net you 1 mana. If you're fetching right and have mana rocks, this card is basically dead.
1x Fearsome Awakening - very slow reanimation spell, the 2x +1/+1 counters aren't an upside worth paying 5 mana for in my opinion.
1x Skyshroud Claim - you can probably find a better rate for ramp + fixing, a 4cmc sorcery seems like too steep of a price to pay.
Sorceries I'd consider bringing in are:
- Maelstrom Pulse - relevant vs tokens
- Akroma's Vengeance - flexible boarwipe thanks to cycling.
- Time Spiral - re-gas or reconstitute a weak hand.
- Rite of Replication - either copy the best threat, or make 5x of one of your dudes. Basically wins you the game with Scourge of Valkas if kicked (basically a super Valakut - 6x5x6 = 180 damage, since each copy Valkas will see 6 dragons entering the field at once)
- Bring to Light - essentially a tutor
Moving on to Instants:I'd cut Lure of Prey and Sarkhan's Triump. Feels like this deck wants to basically win with Scion getting through with commander damage, ultimately a voltron approach to victory. With that being said, I think you can jam a lot of high impact instants. These come to mind:
- Path to Exile
- Swords to Plowshares - life gain doesn't really matter if you're winning with 21 commander damage.
- Disallow - gets rid of tricky stuff, and its a solid counterpell overall
- Fact or Fiction - fills the GY, digs 5 cards deep at instant speed for 4cmc.
- Savage Beating - for 5 or 7 cmc, you win the game
- Hatred - seems decent in EDH, with 40 life, you're basically trading off 5cmc + 15 life to either win the game, or to knock someone out of the game (commander damage).
Enchantments:Cuts, due to low impact, in my opinion:
- Aura Shards
- Dragon Tempest - might be keepable, haste is relevant.
Greater Good - don't think you want to be sacrificing your dudes, plus your blue instant speed stuff should be drawing you cards :D
- Pattern of Rebirth
- Pernicious Deed
- Sylvan Library
If I were jamming Scion, I'd probably want my enchantments to do 1 of 3 things - either keep me alive, protect my dudes, or act as a damage multiplier or grants evasion so I can win via commander damage.
Stuff that keeps you alive:
Stuff that protects my dudes:- Asceticism - you already run this, nothing else off the top of my head atm.
Evasion/game winning stuff:
- Thasa God of the Sea - an enchantment that gives auto-scry, is indestructible, AND grants unblockable? Seems decent.
- In the Web of War - haste seems good, or maybe this can just be an Anger? Meta call, depends on how much GY hate there happens to be :D
- Xenagos, God of Revels - more commander damage!
- Duelist's Heritage - MORE damage!
- Gratuitous Violence - even MORE damage
- Finest Hour - this is basically game ending
Now, on to Artifacts:
First, stuff that doesn't pass the initial eye test:
- Crucible - no obvious synergy
- Dragon Arch - seems iffy, you end up paying 7cmc to play a multi-colored creature, at which point, you can probably just play the creature. If the creature costs less than 7cmc, you kind of just owned yourself.
Stuff I think is worth checking out:- Chrome Mox- Prismatic Geoscope - this is what those basics will help out with :D- Fellwar Stone - most likely fixes some colors + ramps- Swiftfoot Boots - lightning greaves #2- Credit Voucher - cycles dead cards for potentially not dead cards, for the low cost of 2cmc
Planeswalkers - I noticed you don't run any, I think these might be decent:Sarkhan Unbroken - CARD DRAW + mana fixing/ramp in one? SEEMS GOOD!Sorin, Grim Nemesis - MORE CARD DRAW!? AND with the high CMC of your stuff, the drain should be excellent every now and then.Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker - Takes care of any creature threat + flavor win
CREATURES!!I'd make these cuts on the thinking that they either:A) Don't win you the gameB) Don't advance your boardstate enoughC) Don't provide adequate utilityC) You're never going to be able to abuse their 3cmc payment abilities + you probably will only have one shot with them. Feels like the mana would be better spent winning with Scion.
- 1x Balefire Dragon
- 1x Bladewing the Risen
- 1x Dragon Mage
- 1x Dragonlord Ojutai
- 1x Dragonlord's Servant
- 1x Dragonspeaker Shaman
- 1x Hellkite Tyrant
- 1x Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
- 1x Numot, the Devastator
- 1x Savage Ventmaw
- 1x Steel Hellkite
- 1x Teneb, the Harvester
- 1x Tyrant's Familiar
- 1x Utvara Hellkite
- 1x Vorosh, the Hunter
Creatures I'd consider running:
- Magus of the Moat
- Kaalia of the Vast
- Dragonlord Kolaghan
- Rafiq of the Many
- Scourge of the Throne
- Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
- Spellbound Dragon
- Mana-Charged Dragon
- Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind + Ophidian Eye - classic combo + alternate wincon
- Hellkite Overlord
- Dragon Tyrant
Whew, that's all I've got! Again, this is just my take on what I think is the path of least resistance to victory with a Scion deck that's not as vulnerable to GY hate. GY strats are definitely legit, so feel free to jam all the reanimation + tutors too :D
Hope you found some of this useful :D
1 month ago
LeoSushi Thank you for the comment!
The original idea of the deck was to simply explode, and then win. That's why cards like Fecundity and Elemental Bond were cut...Grim Haruspex was in there too, for a while. Once I'm dropping a bunch of tokens and sac'ing my lands, I'm not concerned w/ having cards in hand. The 'backup plan' has changed since this deck was built, and those cards are definitely worth another look, since I might actually survive to another turn.
The Gitrog Monster was cut because at 5CMC, he's a little late to help w/ the ramping.
Titania, Protector of Argoth JUST got added - she was MADE for this deck.
I have been working haste enablers in, such as In the Web of War, Goblin Bushwhacker, and Ogre Battledriver. Anger was in there, but got cut at some point. I've been thinking about putting him back in.
And you're right - if you cut out the 5 most expensive cards, this drops to well under $200 very quickly. As it got better, I couldn't resist putting in a few gems.
2 months ago
A Goblin Bushwhacker is a must.
A horribly offensive build in a casual format. How dare you!
2 months ago
How about a Ogre Battledriver to turn your goblins into little lightning bolts with legs?
Or an In the Web of War if you don't want to break theme?
Love Goblin decks, +1.
2 months ago
Goblin War Drums are decent, and fit into the theme.