|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Hunger of the Howlpack
Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
Morbid Put three +1/+1 counters on that creature instead if a creature died this turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Hunger of the Howlpack Discussion
7 hours ago
How often will you trigger Hunger of the Howlpack?
Invigorate is free powerful infect pump.
1 week ago
If I Sac'd my Young Wolf this turn it came back undying as a 2/2 I afterwards played Cloudfin Raptor, then I used Hunger of the Howlpack on Young Wolf does my Cloudfin Raptor get 3 +1/+1 because my Young Wolf got +3/+3 counters? Pretty much do all the counters go in separately one after the other?
3 weeks ago
Hey Tethys! Feeling honored you checked this deck :D
I see your point with IOK. In some games they were quite good, but I agree they're nowhere near to being a solid plan.
I used to run 3 Nissas and decided to cut one down for the Inquisitions, so she's totally back in. And 21 lands should definetely work better (with the Heaths and all, I didn't think of the budget option...).
Btw, what would you think of a future variation of this deck including white for Dromoka's Command instead of Hunger of the Howlpack, Mikaeus, the Lunarch and Archangel of Thune (and its possible infinite combo w/ Spike Feeder)? Would it be worth it?
3 weeks ago
Thanks zin1000 I found a way to fit in Hunger of the Howlpack and it works great. There are currently multiple ways to trigger in this deck. I added Uktabi Drake as well. With its echo sac, it is easy to get the Hunger of the Howlpack trigger, and if needed the trigger badly, I could cast Walking Ballista for 0 or cast Primordial Hydra for or sac Scrounging Bandar on upkeep to trigger Hunger of the Howlpack.
h00n on Hydra Deck
1 month ago
I think there are 2 main problems about this deck:
First one is, that your mana base is too slow, cards like Kozilek's Channeler simply aren't worth it (-> why would you pay 5 for a creature which isn't useful for anything but mana?)
The second one is, as I personally think, that you should focus on 1 or 2 different hydras, and not include any you can find, because if you build the deck around 1 or 2 cards, you can focus more on their unique mechanics (i.e. Kalonian Hydra) and therefore have a stronger core.
But I wouldn't complain if I didn't have any suggestions:
- Llanowar Elves are fine, but I doubt that you will ever need more than 4, maybe split them 3/3 with Elvish Mystic.
- Consider ramping cards like Rampant Growth or Cultivate (or Dawntreader Elk but I'll mention it later).
- Maybe Sac-Lands would do (Havenwood Battleground).
- Hardened Scales are basically your best friend in an Hydra deck, because every Hydra gets more counters (yay) and you can play with other +1/+1 counter cards like...
- Burst of Strength, Hunger of the Howlpack (Dawntreader Elk!), or Mutant's Prey, which include utility and removal.
- Consider creatures like Managorger Hydra (cheap hydra that goes nuts with Hardened Scales), Nessian Wilds Ravager (for removal] or Vastwood Hydra.
- Vastwood Hydra works very will with necessary healing spells like Momentous Fall, as you can distribute the counters on other hydras.
- I'd suggest Kalonian Hydra and Primordial Hydra as main damage dealers.
- Fun combos like Karametra's Favor + Gilder Bairn works well with hydras.
- Savage Summoning when playing against blue (sideboard if you want)
I hope I've made some good suggestions on improval
1 month ago
Also, I think all zoo decks need Atarka's Command mainboard.... it's so valuable and it helps the strategy to play everything and alpha strike to end the game!
5 months ago
I'm sure that you don't need any more ideas but, I've been looking into some stuff for some of my other decks and found a few things worth mentioning. While researching I found Armory of Iroas or Rite of Passage, maybe even Blessings of Nature or Increasing Savagery. One more I found was Hunger of the Howlpack, it can be tricky to get the three +1/+1 counters, but if you do it could possibly help. I'm thinking more for sideboard options really since I really like your deck just how it is.