5 minutes ago
One more thing, Odric, Lunarch Marshal or Concerted Effort (depending on if u want a creature or enchantment) Is pretty good, theres nothing wrong having both because then all your creatures have Flying + First Strike. Odric being the cheaper option. Mirran Crusader is a great addition.
19 minutes ago
Dark Confidant with so many high drops is going to be very detrimental to you. I love bob, but ripping a Goblin Dark-Dwellers makes me cringe at the thought. That said, with or without bob, I think this deck should run a full playset of Shambling Vent, surprisingly this manland is extremely useful, especially if you keep Dark Confidant in. I know there's a choke at your 3 - drop, but maybe Monastery Mentor or even Young Pyromancer in this deck would be solid.
Personal opinion for sideboard, Extirpate over Surgical Extraction and Slaughter Games. It still can shut down tron, and with split second really outclasses Slaughter Games (totally personal opinion here) in current meta as counter magic isn't really that prevalent.
Cool deck, really good first go
22 minutes ago
Hey mathguy124. Yes. I love me some Tainted AEther, and even ran it at one point. Unfortunately it nonboed too often with Luminarch Ascension as a wincon, so I cut it for the same of having a finisher. Great suggestion though!
23 minutes ago
See, I do not think that is different enough from a GR ramp deck, expect that it has some worse cards in it, like goldnight castigator and assault formation. You either go for big but aggro or you go for a ramp strategy, the two do not mix well.
31 minutes ago
I like the deck +1 from me, however I feel the Guardians of Meletis 3 drop could be used more efficiently. I would say -3 guardians, +1 Sylvan Advocate +2 Explosive Vegetation, which will help jadi offshoot finding more lands and help you get to your bigger threats quicker, this will also help the Sylvan Advocate become unlanguish-able quicker too.
35 minutes ago
Seems like a pretty good list :) nothing too fancy but it'll work out well that's a fact.
That being said, I'm not a huge fan of Shusher in the SB. I don't see how he helps you out with your main gameplan. If you're worried about Blue control (and mainly counterspells), I'd recommand you to go with Defense Grid, which won't die to mass removals that most control decks run.
You shouldn't be much concerned about counterspells IMO. As a RW burn player I don't really care when a spell of mine gets countered. They'll take more damage eventually. Therefore I'd go with something more useful like GY hate (Relic of Progenitus) or one more Molten Rain for greedy manabases / Tron.
35 minutes ago
Forgot to mention Grafdigger's cage also Stops:
36 minutes ago
I feel like there should probably be a stony in there also.
And have you played the infect match at all?
36 minutes ago
Interesting cards. My first deck (and only original) is Mono-White Budget Lifegain. I think keeping to one colour is a lot easier for your first deck as it makes the mana balancing a heap simpler. Martyr of Sands is a great card and I would choose it over Goldenglow Moth. A lot of the cards in my deck could really help yours out. I'm not sure about the lifegain from defending your deck relies on. It's good but you can only really win by a buffed Ajani's Pridemate or by Felidar Sovereign. Test of Endurance might be better and easier to get out early. You really don't want the duels going to long, giving the opponent time to get you below that 40 life. Focusing on early lifegain with Martyr of Sands can make 50 achievable for Test of Endurance if you don't let them get any hits in. Sunbond could really help Ajani's Pridemate out as well. Not great against all decks but Chalice of Life Flip is heaps of fun and can give you some easy wins with early lifegain, the 30 life trigger is heaps good for a constant 5 damage per turn.
55 minutes ago
Shall see what I learn after I get the rest of the deck bought in a week or two and hopefully a few games against those particular decks and not the current in hype ones.
This has to better than my paper experience at least.
58 minutes ago
poshakitoo I honestly have 0 clue what I'm going to replace them with. Rotation is still months away and we just have see what the next set from this block brings. And also what the new block will have to offer. But speculating probably gonna be more control and move 3 more counter spells into the main board once Anafenza rotates.
1 hour ago
bij - thank you for your interest. Just a quick note I'm not even set on anything about this deck. The manabase can change as see fit.
Yes Wrath of God goes against our gameplan. However, it is really good against Merfolk when you can cast it without a counter. However like the comment above there are some changes that have occurred and I will be writing about hose in the next week or so.
Linear - progressing from one stage to another in a single series of steps; sequential.
The process of changing the deck is a good one and our goal was to implement a change that was good for the use of an end gamer. Tokens in the past felt weak as it depended solely on the tokens generated to win games. So, when we received an email asking us about the use of Westvale Abbey in modern we took the challenge and built into this. Ormendahl is a late game finisher if need be and runs great with Secure the Waste and Bitterblossom.
Engineered Explosives was a weird card that interacts with Affinity and zoo. It can allow you a turn point against them both especially when you get a Gideon or a Sorin out. I think everyone underestimates Gideon and how and what all he can do in this and for this deck. Are there better answer against Merfolk and Affinity? That is where there should be discussion on this for sure. We have a few options and like I said I will be writing about those and I will make them extensive.
Thank you for your questions and your interest.
1 hour ago
Thing in the Ice isnt what this deck wants to be. Essentially, this deck aims to go to the late game. Thing is such a bad topdeck late game and is usually only good turn 2. Additionally, creature maps is where this deck shines. So thig doesn't improve any matchup.
Counterspell isn't modern legal.
1 hour ago
Awesome deck, +1 from me.
Question: why not use the much more versatile Counterspell over the other similar, less versatile cards in the deck?
1 hour ago
Burn decks are usually Naya colors and have access to Path to Exile in the sideboard specifically for those pesky Firewalkers. The best white card is probably 3x Leyline of Sanctity. Shuts down sac effects and discard spells.
In my UW Deck, I run 3x leyline and 2 firewalker, since I am purposefully weak to Burn in g1 to strenghten other matchups.
1 hour ago
- Yeah, I thought so. Just wanted to be sure.
- Good point, I'll put it under "acquire after I sell my kidneys"
- Does black really have no target artifact/enchantment removal? I have some of the cards you mentioned. Do you feel like Gate to Phyrexia would be a good addition for my deck and what I should take out for it?
1 hour ago
I wrote an article a few years back that outlines what I think makes for a successful first few tournaments. (I took the readers through deck-building... you obviously wouldn't be building that deck for today's Standard, but I think the lessons are still there.) It's a read, but it's worth it.
1 hour ago
The Nahiri hype, def makes grafdigger's cage that much more must have.. o.o I hope it doesnt get too much more expensive.
1 hour ago
+1 from my side! Always got love for old school tribal decks (feel free to check out my Ezuri - Regenerating Leader deck).
As for the cards, i'm not convinced of these yet:
- Frenzied Goblin & Goblin Heelcutter - Idk what you plan on doing with them. As you'd normally swing with your rather unimportant Weenies i don't think you really need them.
- Goblin Dark-Dwellers - Sure, it has targets (11 to be exact, of them Reverberate & Vandalblast don't synergize well) but i think it's too narrow. Not only would you need one of them in your graveyard, you'd still have to pay . Strong card, but not made for this deck.
- Goblin Lackey - Has to connect to do anything and if you don't have him in your hand early in the game that won't happen.
- Goblin Rabblemaster & Goblin Assault - forcing important Lords like Goblin Chieftain & Goblin Warchief to attack for the sake of one more Goblin each turn and another fat Goblin doesn't sound like a must-do deal to me.
- Skirk Drill Sergeant - Your creature count is a little low to make him really great. This way 3/4 times you'd mill yourself and even spend mana on it.
- Spikeshot Elder - Too expensive ability for my taste.
- Bonesplitter, Loxodon Warhammer, Silverskin Armor & Hall of Triumph - Instead of an Equipment "subtheme" i'd simply run more Goblins.
- Dragon Fodder, Empty the Warrens, Goblin Rally, Hordeling Outburst, Krenko's Command - Sure, these accelerate Krenko, Mob Boss, but that's about it. Something like Rings of Brighthearth or Illusionist's Bracers does a better job at that and can be used with other stuff as well.
Some more suggestions:
- Arms Dealer, Lightning Crafter & Tar Pitcher - Better than burn spells in this deck.
- Beetleback Chief, Siege-Gang Commander & Chancellor of the Forge - Moar Goblinz!
- Moggcatcher, Goblin Ringleader & Brass Herald - Fetch some Goblins.
- Goblin Recruiter - If you drop him with something like 5-6 mana available you'll draw 100% value for as long as you want.
- Gempalm Incinerator
- Goblin Chirurgeon - Will make your opponents cringe!
- Goblin King
- Goblin Wizard
- Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker - The possibilites are endless.
- Legion Loyalist
- Aggravated Assault & Thousand-Year Elixir - Insanely brutal with Krenko!
- Caged Sun
- Coat of Arms
- In the Web of War
- Obelisk of Urd
- Purphoros, God of the Forge
- Quest for the Goblin Lord
- Shared Animosity
- Warstorm Surge
In general up your creature count and reconsider everything that's not a goblin, if you really need it. You got a great basis, with a few adjustments and investment over time this could turn out really nasty.