|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
As an additional cost to play Kaervek's Spite, sacrifice all permanents you control and discard your hand.
Target player loses 5 life.
Kaervek's Spite Discussion
1 month ago
I will agree that the ability to untap all permanents, or all lands, or all non-lands is a HUGE advantage. seedborn muse is at the top of the list of cards that go into most green decks I make. That said, not every deck can take full advantage of the benefits, just as not every deck can take full advantage of, say Hypersonic Dragon or Teferi, Time Raveler 's +1 ability. If everyone and their grandmother are building the deck around one card (as we saw with paradox engine), then it makes sense to ban it; behold, to paraphrase the the EDH rules committee: "That $#!t don't fly".
The ability to cast ANY spell at flash, however, is something that every deck can take advantage of. By waiting on specific triggers, certain combinations otherwise impossible become disgustingly good. At the end of opponent's turn? cast Phage the Untouchable , and respond to it with Supreme Verdict . Field wipes, phage resolves, untap & swing. Sure, it's an over-the-top example, but it does illastrate the point nicely. Hell, for ages I had a deck of "bad cards" just so I could run Barren Glory and respond to it with Kaervek's Spite . the ability to flash that at the end of an opponent's turn massivly reduces the chances an opponent can do something about it. I think (or possibly just hope, but who knows) that wizards has discovered that Vedalken Orrery and Leyline of Anticipation aren't what people should have (it may be what they want, but that's another thing entirely). In war of the spark, we saw Vivien, Champion of the Wilds , Teferi, Time Raveler , and Emergence Zone , all good examples of what _should_ work as a flash mechanic - ones that have limitations built in - they have to remain in play, are on attackable, damageable permanents, or are a one-time, sac to activate effect. Quicken , Scout's Warning , and Savage Summoning are all other good examples of this mechanic being used. Now, Wilderness Reclamation is actually _waaaaaay_ lower on my threat-meter for one, simple reason - it only untaps once. Honestly, the Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal combo is far more dangerous in my book, simply due to the ability to untap creatures as well as mana rocks. In a multi-player format, the difference between it and Seedborn Muse or Unwinding Clock is huge. Speaking of Unwinding Clock , this is one of the cards that also don't have as much of a problem with - to get the full effect of this card, you're typically going to have to build your deck as an artifact deck. and in a format with Vandalblast , Bane of Progress , Shatterstorm , Nevinyrral's Disk , Akroma's Vengeance ...well, the list goes on. And since most people run Sol Ring (I'll confess to a love/hate relationship with that card, but thats a story for another time), most decks will run at least _one_ artifact removal (or steal) effect on the assumption that their opponent's will also be running it.
anyway, just my two cents as a response.
3 months ago
I heard about this deck on Rhystic Studies.
6 months ago
Kaervek, Half Redeemed
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
When ~ attacks, you may pick a number. Sacrifice that many permanents, and discard that many cards. If you do, at the end of the next turn, search your library for an enchantment with the same converted mana cost as the chosen number, and put it into play.
make a card that pairs well with another cord in an unexpected way.
11 months ago
I'm just going to list some self harm cards at you because i don't have anything better to do :D
1 year ago
Oooh positive ones, I like that idea too!
The Low in Sodium
This player is characterized by being both a good sport when winning and when losing. Rarely, if ever, do they get salty. Common quotes:
- "Dang, that card is awesome!"
- "That was such a close match, I can't believe I actually won."
- "I really like your deck, I can definitely tell you put a lot of hard work into building it."
This player starts first with the goal of making sure everyone has fun in the multiplayer games, and knows how to balance the common goal of winning with the perfect level of power for the group. Common quotes of this player:
- "Tap my Homeward Path so that everyone gets their creatures back."
- "I'm not gonna hit you cause you're mana screwed."
- "I wanna see how your Avacyn, Guardian Angel deck plays out, so I'll play Fog to save you."
The Most Interesting Opponent in the World
This player doesn't always play, but when they do, they play such unique homebrews that you are just blown away by the talent they have in building their interesting decks. Some common quotes:
- "I really wanted to play with Lich, so I built this Selenia, Dark Angel deck so that I can play stuff like Repay in Kind and Reverse the Sands."
- "Have you heard of the Mesmeric Orb Basalt Monolith combo?"
- "At your end step, I am going to cast Kaervek's Spite to sacrifice my entire board, triggering Academy Rector to get Barren Glory."
The Deck Doctor
This player has a lot of experience building decks and playing in the format, so when they offer help, you know the deck is going to get much better. Some common quotes:
- "One of the nice things about playing white is that you get quite a few efficient spot removal cards for any type of permanent!"
- "I see you are playing Tooth and Nail, do you have Craterhoof Behemoth in the deck?"
- "If you are having trouble staying out of topdeck mode, here are some cards in your colors that you can use to keep your hand filled."
2 years ago
so here we go with the others
first off seriously how come Platinum Angel isn't here? its a safety net
i notice Hive Mind is a card so this cycle should helphttp://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&name=+%5Bpact%5D&set=%7C%5B%22Future%20Sight%22%5D
- Sprouting Phytohydra + Pestilence/Pyrohemia
- Saproling Symbiosis
- Storm Herd
- oh and all the token doublers Parallel Lives/Anointed Procession are the cheapest
- Infinite Reflection
- Progenitor Mimic
- Rite of Replication this is the most important one
- Spitting Image
- Thought Lash
- Divining Witch/Demonic Consultation (also works with Approach of the Second Sun)
- Enter the Infinite
- Inverter of Truth
- Angel's Grace
- Soulgorger Orgg
- Sustaining Spirit
- Fortune Thief
- anything spell/permanent that involves paying any amount of life my favorite isMinion of the Wastes because this works with Mayael's Aria as well
- Serra Avatar
- Progenitus (promo versions are only $5)
- Dark Depths + Thespian's Stage/Vampire Hexmage
- Primordial Hydra
just one thing Krark's Thumb
Darksteel Reactor/Azor's Elocutors/Helix Pinnacle
note: only proliferate
- Deepglow Skate (all other counter related stuff works too.)
- anything with proliferate Contagion Engine and Inexorable Tide are the best ones
- Kalonian Hydra (the ariel will work as well)
- Gilder Bairn
- Winding Constrictor
- if your are willing to spend this much money. Doubling Season but you can go without it
Felidar Sovereign/Test of Endurance
the celestial convergence win con takes this as well
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation
- Wall of Reverence (with that avatar i mentioned eariler you double your life every end step)
- Debt to the Deathless
- Any of the whenever one of your creatures ETB Soul Warden is the best one
- you have Banishing Light so the family members of this
- Kaervek's Spite trigger just before your turn
- Decree of Annihilation
Demonic Pactjust Bazaar Trader and Zedruu the Greatheartedand theres a few more enchantments you can do the exact same thing with Fractured Identity but you need platinum angel for a few of them though
Triskaidekaphobianothing everything you need for this one is here
Approach of the Second sunjust a couple more tutors thats itlast but not least
Mechanized Production/Hellkite tyrantthe biovisonary and epic struggle stuff works if the target is a creatureFractured Identity it works with leveler just as well as phage
2 years ago
What are your thoughts on getting that in there? I understand RiP doesn't fit with a recursion theme.
A fun combo that I don't recommend but will note here for the laughs, Academy Rector is an auto include and a piece that can be used with Kaervek's Spite and Barren Glory. Just Academy Rector on board, Barren Glory in Library, cast Kaervek's Spite on your opponents end step right before your turn, tutor Barren Glory and win.
2 years ago
I've got a simmilar deck, but I took it down to 4 colours to focus on pure counters based alt wincons. Barren Glory also has a great combo with Oblivion Ring and Kaervek's Spite. Exile your own Barren Glory and then cast Kaervek's Spite in your upkeep.
Also, don't forget Azor's Elocutors.
No data for this card yet.