|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Blessed vs Cursed (DDQ)||Uncommon|
|Avacyn Restored (AVR)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Appetite for Brains
Target opponent reveals his or her hand. You choose a card from it with converted mana cost 4 or greater and exile that card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Appetite for Brains Discussion
4 months ago
One last thought -- I wouldn't go any lower on your targeted discard. The information it provides, in addition to crippling an opponent's opening plays, could prove invaluable. If the grave bothers you, then try something like Castigate, Transgress the Mind, or Appetite for Brains instead (although I'm aware that doubling the CMC of your targeted discard is no good, either).
5 months ago
Dark Ritual is not modern legal. Good budget removals in black: Doom Blade, Tragic Slip, and Murder. Since you are in mono black some budget discards would go well: Duress, Appetite for Brains and Mind Rot. Could you check and upvote my BW Tokens? Thanks
5 months ago
aekrusty You got the deck idea down I like it. My main concern is only 8 SB cards, why not just got the full 15? Why have less options when you can have more? It couldn't hurt to have more Tidehollow Sculler in my opinion. I love that card. I especially believe Appetite for Brains is a seriously underplayed card. Especially when Eldrazi tron and combo decks like Ad Naseum and Scapeshift variants being a thing. I understand this being a budget deck, but it couldn't hurt to invest in better discard like Inquisition of Kozilek. Also Celestial Crusader, and Honor of the Pure are some good additions. With Elspeth, Sun's Champion being a strong and affordable late game card. Since this is trying to go budget, I won't bother with naming path, but have you thought of Condemn and Blessed Alliance in your SB? They are such good threats with Death Shadow decks. Also, my brother plays these in Junk, and they seem like they could work here as more removal/filter Cast Out. Early game filter, and a catch all removal later on.
6 months ago
Thanks for the comment.
I put Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx in the deck just for the devotion aspect in late game. I honestly hadn't thought about nixing it and Crypt of Agadeem, but looking at it in that perspective, I could definitely switch them for some more basics.
The main reason I had Sorin, Solemn Visitor was for the Lifelink. Plus if I already had +2/+1 on everything from Undead Warchief I could potentially gain a bunch of life. Not to mention I could make some flyers from him also.
I could cut Appetite for Brains, my reason for it was to be able to see the opponents hand. But with Inquisition of Kozilek I could cut it and replace with some creatures. Maybe a Death Baron or Lord of the Undead?
I love the Diregraf Colossus, I can't believe I didn't think about putting him in this.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
6 months ago
This look s a little bit like you had some favourite cards and a theme for your deck... and those two did not completely overlap. Specifically: What is Sorin, Solemn Visitor doing for your zombies, that wouldn't be done better by other cards? And what are you doing with 1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx? Not that it is a bad card (it's pretty good), but it is one of those you either want every match, or that you don't want at all.
Crypt of Agadeem is something I'm a bit doubtful about. Not in general, but with only 17 creatures in your deck, you'll have problems getting to a point where it's worth using.
Appetite for Brains seems like it would be better exchanged for a removal spell. Y'see, sorcery speed discard cannot stop a good topdeck (so you have to know when to play Appetite for Brains and have a window of opportunity for it too) - but a removal spell doesn't care. Or maybe, even better, exchange it for more zombies. Something like Fleshbag Marauder, perhaps, or Diregraf Colossus.
6 months ago
I have a suggestion (besides the Liliana's Caress: you should use Geth's Verdict instead of Diabolic Edict. It's up to you. Also, Cabal Therapy is great but better with creatures. Maybe even Shrieking Affliction would be worth it. Despise, Thoughtseize, and Appetite for Brains are all great in Modern. Consider these, my man.
6 months ago
1) Run more than 16 lands. Not even Merfolk can properly function on 16 lands. And don't just use basics. Oboro, Palace in the Clouds, Mutavault, and Cavern of Souls fit great in a Merfolk build, and Wanderwine Hub, in addition to entering untapped for two colors, can reveal a threat from your hand that your opponent may need to play around.
3) Don't play black in a Merfolk build. If you're absolutely set on using another color, I personally would recommend white for Path to Exile, Mana Tithe, and Brave the Elements. White would also get the most value out of Wanderwine Hub. But, if you insist on using black, the spells you've chosen aren't going to cut it in modern. Dead Weight won't kill Tarmogoyfs, Hero's Downfall is way too expensive, and Appetite for Brains misses 99% of the relevant threats. In modern, the magic number is 3. That's where most of the curves top out. Thus, Appetite misses everything at or below the magic number. Personally, if I had to use black in a Merfolk build, I'd be running Dismember, Inquisition of Kozilek, maybe a couple Thoughtseize, and Fatal Push. I'd also run one or two Gut Shots for insurance, but that's just me. Of course, this all assumes that you play another color in your deck. If it were me, I'd stay mono-blue.
4) Aether Vial. Perfect card for this deck. Put it on two and keep pumping out creatures.
5) Merfolk Sovereign doesn't do enough work in this deck. It's 3 mana for the same effect as the two-mana lords (Master of the Pearl Trident and Lord of Atlantis), and its second ability is useless. Run Master of Waves or Harbinger of the Tides instead.
6) Cursecatcher. This is your one-drop. It kicks ass in this format.
7) I'd suggest maybe running some amount of Vapor Snags mainboard. It's really effective.
8) Hurkyl's Recall is a great sideboard option against Affinity. Ghost Quarter and Tectonic Edge shut down Tron. Gut Shot is great against a lot of faster decks. Tidebinder Mage is great against Burn and anything with Tarmogoyf. Spell Pierce for removal-heavy decks and Relic of Progenitus hoses graveyard shenanigans. Ceremonious Rejection for Tron and Affinity. Unsubstantiate and Flashfreeze if the matchup demands it. Unified Will, Echoing Truth, and Sea's Claim are all viable sideboard options as well.
9) I'd suggest you consult my list as well as the MTGSalvation primer for Merfolk