|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Battle for Zendikar (BFZ)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Transgress the Mind
Devoid (This card has no color.)
Target player reveals his or her hand. You may choose a card with converted mana cost 3 or greater and exile that card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Transgress the Mind Discussion
6 months ago
I missed the part about your sideboard... If your budged restricts you from using thoughtseize, Transgress the Mind or Duress would be your go-to. You might want to consider some artifact/enchantment removal in the sideboard. Perhaps Elvish Hexhunter or Golgari Charm.
8 months ago
8 months ago
Most decks run 4 copies of one card because it increases the odds of finding it as you draw. Occasionally you might run 1 or 2 copies of a card, but that is for a card you don't want to see that often. You have also don't have enough ramp, since you have restricted yourself to recent sets when you are building for modern. This is a budget deck, so I'd suggest Fertile Ground or Trace of Abundance as additional ramp, rather than the classic Utopia Sprawl.
Even with additional ramp and the Eldrazi Scions your deck is top heavy, what I mean by this is that too many of your spells are or over. To help you build a better deck going forward I cloned your deck and modified it, have a look Eldrazi MK2 copy. The biggest change is I trimmed your expensive spells and brought in a card like Undying Evil to replace Unnatural Endurance since it is an easy upgrade, even if it isn't Devoid. I also upped the count of Transgress the Mind and added Titan's Presence as a more efficient removal spell.
I hope this helps and have fun brewing!
9 months ago
Hello there, buddy
How are you doing?
Well, I took a litle time to analyze this and I have some suggestions. Please keep in mind these are only tips, no to be taken as offense and/or disrespect.
- I do understand your strategy is ramping into Battlesphere or Forgemaster, but I really don't think you can achieve quadruple red for Geosurge with consistency.
- I suppose your turn 1 is a bit blank, and I really suggest you run some discard, like Inquisition of Kozilek or Thoughtseize. Your matchup against Scapeshift or Eldrazi must be really miserable, so having early hand disruption is super useful. In the same lines, Transgress the Mind is awful. If you have the budget for swapping it for Collective Brutality, your turn 2 action will be signficantly better. This card is bonkers.
- Path to Exile is your best protection against fast-paced//aggro decks like burn, goblins or humans. You're gonna be much safer running 4 copies. Dismember is ok-ish, but I wouldn't run so many. One is enough.
- I truly love Ajani Vengeant with all my heart, but I do not usually play 2+ copies of any planeswalker ever. If you like late game action, you could maybe drop one Ajani and one Elspeth to add upp 1 Gideon Jura and 1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion. These pw are awesome. Otherwise, if you want some early game safety, I strongly suggest 2 Gideon of the Trials.
- Lightning Bolt is a must. It does everything for one red. Controlling small relevant creatures (like, f*ck you Noble Hierarch), ending grinding matchups (so, you play Grixis Death's Shadow? Cool...) and stopping some weird combo structures with Goblin Electromancer and Devoted Druid. It's SO much value, I really recommend you find some room for it.
- Your manabase is ok, but changing some of the shock lands (Godless Shrine and Sacred Foundry) for fetch lands would add up a lot of consistency due to the filtering. I believe the cheapest one in your colors is Bloodstained Mire. Running four fetchlands will already reduce significantly the number of late-game land draws of your deck. I normally play something aroung 7~8, but I know this is a bit expensive, so don't worry about it now.
Above everything, I really like your idea. I just believe you need some structure to be able to access your "combo". My suggestions are all based on the competitive metagame, where there are many fast decks with early game disruption, so you'll need to run along these lines to live long enough to do the whole Forgemaster thing. Modern is crazy right now. hahaha
Keep up the good work! If you want some more suggestions, please ask. :)
1 year ago
I am guessing you are on a bit of a budget with this deck. However, Fatal Push may go a long way, but cards like Go for the Throat, Dismember, and Hero's Downfall, could be the removal you need in addition to the Abrupt Decay. For inexpensive hand disruption perhaps Transgress the Mind, Doomfall, or Unburden. Delirium may be difficult in a deck with 5 card types (DeadWeight may be useless, and only two fetch lands in Evolving Wilds is far from a sure thing). Another enchantment you may want to consider is Seal of Doom, with perhaps an artifact to assist with delirium.
I ramble.. that is what I do. But have fun with your new golgari adventure. Glad to see you are breaking free from the red/white chains for a bit.
1 year ago
Anguished Unmaking - Exile all the things.
Archangel Avacyn Flip - hahahahaha no. My stuff is all Indestructible. You killed one of my Creatures? Oops, now your stuff is all board wiped.
Declaration in Stone - my favourite card. Goodbye Ulamog. Goodbye Zombehs.
Dispel - I play Negate. You play Negate. I play Dispel. You cry.
Grasp of Darkness - your Archangel Avacyn Flip is now dead.
Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet - I get Zombehs. I get life.
Transgress the Mind - Exile any fuck off cards.
Sorin, Grim Nemesis - draw AND deal damage.
Wandering Fumarole - Crews all day long.
I will NOT miss Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, even though I used it.
It was boring seeing it come out in every deck.
Truly a format defining card.
1 year ago
If you have the cards then by all means do so. Without posting your whole collection cards to suggest are tricky. Sanitarium Skeleton is pretty decent in a toolbox. Scrapheap Scrounger is annoying too. Cut and Torment of Hailfire are really good. There is a fair amount of graveyard hate in my meta so I wouldn't run too much recursion. Hand disruption between Transgress the Mind Lay Bare the Heart and even good old Mind Rot. Run sets of 2 and 3 of copies of utility cards. You could be real annoying and be able to sideboard pretty well without ruining your consistency. Eternal Scourge is awesome. A single Akoum Firebird is a good mana sink. Try and ignore having a theme, and run something fun to play. If you have any sort of good lands other than Blooming Marsh let us know what they are and we can build around it. Any cycle lands?
1 year ago
Mono-Black Control is about to lose most of its really good pieces:
It will still retain Fatal Push, Never / Return, Harsh Scrutiny, and Yahenni's Expertise, and it will have the new Walk the Plank, but unless it gets some better 2 drops it's going to lose all tempo in the early game.