|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Battle for Zendikar (BFZ)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Transgress the Mind
Devoid (This card has no color.)
Target player reveals his or her hand. You may choose a card with converted mana cost 3 or greater and exile that card.
Transgress the Mind Discussion
5 months ago
If you want to last long enough to cast your big baddies, I'd recommend going a more control route with this deck. I've built a modern model in esper that's pretty consistent. I'd recommend cards like Wasteland Strangler , Ulamog's Nullifier , and Transgress the Mind or Inquisition of Kozilek that latter doesn't exile, but it's a turn one drop. If you put in a playset of each (choosing one of the hand hate cards), you can get rid of most of your two-drop creatures for more consistent play. Also, Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver is the perfect eldrazi exile companion.
6 months ago
@Oloro_Magic yeah I know Cavern of Souls would help but at the moment I don't have any and I'm not really looking forward to spending the money on them at the moment. Where I play, the modern crowd isn't the largest and counter magic isn't the biggest worry so I can get by without them for now. I do kind of agree with you though, because I've been leaning toward the copy version. I actually feel like the mana base there is better. It has 10 dedicated blue sources making the double blue easier to hit, while also having 8 red sources for something like Kozilek's Return out of the sideboard. The only thing is I would like to run some black cards out of the sideboard as well like Thoughtseize , Inquisition of Kozilek , Transgress the Mind , or even Distended Mindbender and it's tough at the moment. I would like to replace Corrupted Crossroads for something that's functionally the same except doesn't care about being devoid. Besides Cavern of Souls can you think of something I could use that would provide colorless and also add colored mana?
As far as Eldrazi Skyspawner and the other 3 drops, they're there for the emerge creatures. Wretched Gryff is a 3/4 flyer that draws a card on cast for 3 mana and Elder Deep-Fiend will typically only cost 4. It's probably the easiest way to curve into Elder Deep-Fiend on turn 3 or 4. One reason not to cut Wretched Gryff is because it triggers Sanctum of Ugin so I can go and find Elder Deep-Fiend .
8 months ago
Your deck isn't pure control, rather it is an aggro-control hybrid, which is fine.
Lets deal with the NO (counters) section of a control deck. The first cards I thought of when looking at your deck were Delay, Grimoire Thief and Countersquall but they might be more than you want to spend. Since your using creatures to exile Familiar's Ruse is budget friendly and gives you the chance to recast your creature and exile a new card. Judge's Familiar is a creature and a cheap evasive creature at that, so is probably worth consideration. Perplex Might work as a counter or tutor. Honorable mentions Dawn Charm (fog or conditional counter), Dash Hopes (a black counter, really) and Dissipate. You might want to think about other spells too Thought Scour, Vapor Snag, Appetite for Brains, Castigate and Transgress the Mind...
The creature side of my suggestions is much shorter, first up is two one drops Deadeye Tracker and Mardu Woe-Reaper, they have similar uses essentially sending cards back to exile. For two drops there is Brain Maggot, basically additional copies of Tidehollow Sculler. Now we jump a bit to the control finisher, your using The Eldest Reborn I'd suggest backing that up with Cryptic Serpent and maybe Tasigur, the Golden Fang. Finally Murk Strider is worth consideration as well.
I'm not expecting you to use all of these cards, rather I'm throwing out ideas that might be of use to you. Hopefully this is of help, have fun with your brew.
1 year ago
I missed the part about your sideboard... If your budged restricts you from using thoughtseize, Transgress the Mind or Duress would be your go-to. You might want to consider some artifact/enchantment removal in the sideboard. Perhaps Elvish Hexhunter or Golgari Charm.
1 year ago
1 year ago
Most decks run 4 copies of one card because it increases the odds of finding it as you draw. Occasionally you might run 1 or 2 copies of a card, but that is for a card you don't want to see that often. You have also don't have enough ramp, since you have restricted yourself to recent sets when you are building for modern. This is a budget deck, so I'd suggest Fertile Ground or Trace of Abundance as additional ramp, rather than the classic Utopia Sprawl.
Even with additional ramp and the Eldrazi Scions your deck is top heavy, what I mean by this is that too many of your spells are or over. To help you build a better deck going forward I cloned your deck and modified it, have a look Eldrazi MK2 copy. The biggest change is I trimmed your expensive spells and brought in a card like Undying Evil to replace Unnatural Endurance since it is an easy upgrade, even if it isn't Devoid. I also upped the count of Transgress the Mind and added Titan's Presence as a more efficient removal spell.
I hope this helps and have fun brewing!
1 year ago
Hello there, buddy
How are you doing?
Well, I took a litle time to analyze this and I have some suggestions. Please keep in mind these are only tips, no to be taken as offense and/or disrespect.
- I do understand your strategy is ramping into Battlesphere or Forgemaster, but I really don't think you can achieve quadruple red for Geosurge with consistency.
- I suppose your turn 1 is a bit blank, and I really suggest you run some discard, like Inquisition of Kozilek or Thoughtseize. Your matchup against Scapeshift or Eldrazi must be really miserable, so having early hand disruption is super useful. In the same lines, Transgress the Mind is awful. If you have the budget for swapping it for Collective Brutality, your turn 2 action will be signficantly better. This card is bonkers.
- Path to Exile is your best protection against fast-paced//aggro decks like burn, goblins or humans. You're gonna be much safer running 4 copies. Dismember is ok-ish, but I wouldn't run so many. One is enough.
- I truly love Ajani Vengeant with all my heart, but I do not usually play 2+ copies of any planeswalker ever. If you like late game action, you could maybe drop one Ajani and one Elspeth to add upp 1 Gideon Jura and 1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion. These pw are awesome. Otherwise, if you want some early game safety, I strongly suggest 2 Gideon of the Trials.
- Lightning Bolt is a must. It does everything for one red. Controlling small relevant creatures (like, f*ck you Noble Hierarch), ending grinding matchups (so, you play Grixis Death's Shadow? Cool...) and stopping some weird combo structures with Goblin Electromancer and Devoted Druid. It's SO much value, I really recommend you find some room for it.
- Your manabase is ok, but changing some of the shock lands (Godless Shrine and Sacred Foundry) for fetch lands would add up a lot of consistency due to the filtering. I believe the cheapest one in your colors is Bloodstained Mire. Running four fetchlands will already reduce significantly the number of late-game land draws of your deck. I normally play something aroung 7~8, but I know this is a bit expensive, so don't worry about it now.
Above everything, I really like your idea. I just believe you need some structure to be able to access your "combo". My suggestions are all based on the competitive metagame, where there are many fast decks with early game disruption, so you'll need to run along these lines to live long enough to do the whole Forgemaster thing. Modern is crazy right now. hahaha
Keep up the good work! If you want some more suggestions, please ask. :)
1 year ago
I am guessing you are on a bit of a budget with this deck. However, Fatal Push may go a long way, but cards like Go for the Throat, Dismember, and Hero's Downfall, could be the removal you need in addition to the Abrupt Decay. For inexpensive hand disruption perhaps Transgress the Mind, Doomfall, or Unburden. Delirium may be difficult in a deck with 5 card types (DeadWeight may be useless, and only two fetch lands in Evolving Wilds is far from a sure thing). Another enchantment you may want to consider is Seal of Doom, with perhaps an artifact to assist with delirium.
I ramble.. that is what I do. But have fun with your new golgari adventure. Glad to see you are breaking free from the red/white chains for a bit.
No data for this card yet.