Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Torens, Fist of the Angels
Legendary Creature — Human Cleric
Training (Whenever this creature attacks with another creature with greater power, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)
Whenever you cast a creature spell, create a 1/1 green and white Human Soldier creature token with training.
9 months ago
Drestlin - see comments below...
In terms of removal cards...I agree with you that Inscription of Abundance should go. I looked at it as well and although it does provide options, it is expensive to use it multiple abilities. Swallow Whole is not perfect but it does fit in a +1/+1 deck nicely with the caveat that you need a creature out and you need your opponent's creature to be tapped. You should play around with it and see what you think. I would avoid Gleeful Sabotage personally. I would not want to dedicate 2-4 slots for a card that can only kill artifacts/enchantments and be useless otherwise. Hopeful Initiate I feel like kinda fills this need for me. He is not perfect, but he does give some flexibility.
In terms of the draw potential...I just play MTGO and complain about the prices of some of those cards so I feel you if you are buying some of these in paper. I run two copies of Horizon Canopy and find I almost always end up using its draw ability so it is really nice for that. I am working on getting all four copies of Esper Sentinel still and he is only around 9$ per card in MTGO! Hmmm...so Inspiring Call has been sub-optimal in your experience huh? That is good to know. I will still experiment with it but good feedback still. I could definitely see how Hunter's Insight might provide a more consistent draw potential. Both of those two are situational but I will play with that too. Thanks for the suggestion!
ya...Savior of Ollenbock is a bit of a double-edged sword for offensive creature removal, especially if you are using him to exile cards from the opponent's graveyard! Extremely effective though if you can get him to train once or twice and exiling your own graveyard :) And I feel you with Basri's Lieutenant being slow. I originally ran four copies of him and recently dropped it to three but am considering dropping him down to only two copies. Useful card but not as useful as others...
If it were my deck and I was trying to find some room to fit in some of the stuff we talked about...I would drop 2xBow of Nylea. Your creatures should be bigger than most anything out there so you do not really need the deathtouch. It's activated ability is nice but I feel like for 3 CMC and an additional 2 CMC to activate an ability is pretty steep although the abilities are nice. Like you mentioned, you should most likely just run Gaea's Blessing or Elixir of Immortality for the mill deck. I would also drop Avatar of the Resolute as his ability is only mediocre I feel like even in this deck. You are only running 4 cards that allow you to remove cards from graveyard so I feel like Willow Geist could drop a copy. You could also likely drop a copy or two of Duskshell Crawler. Trample is nice but it is critical to the deck. Those are just some potential ideas for freeing up some space.
In regards to tokens...I am currently running Torens, Fist of the Angels and although he has won me games, I am actually thinking of dropping him. Perhaps he will be better once I am running 4xEsper Sentinel with the Horizon Canopy but right now, I only get one of two tokens out of him and that is it usually. If I could keep more cards in my hand, then he might be better to get out 3-4 tokens typically in a game and he would be worth the slots
9 months ago
lhetrick13 thanks a very bunch.
Basically, not caring about competitive at all, tournaments and whatnot, i only play with a group of friends which always use the same decks around.
- One is an elf tribal deck that closes faster than me with their free mana tap untap shenanigans. I have had limited success if i manage to remove key creatures.
- One is basically an 8rack deck, with discards, creature removals, which sometimes i manage to beat if something manages to stick to the ground
- One is a fairies control deck, counterspells, bouncers - hard to get around especially if he manages to counter most of my stuff and then takes control of the one creature i managed to sneak in...
- One is a mill deck...probably should just put in that Gaea's Blessing since he doesn't run single card deck removals like Surgical Extraction and this would be the easiest way to simply render his deck useless
- One is a zombie deck with board resets that he can recover better than i do - found that with this, the easiest solution would be to fit a couple of ozolith so whatever gets destroyed simply comes back the same or close to.
- Last but not least it's an equipment deck with Puresteel Paladin shenanigans. Very quick.
Now, to your answers which ring very true.
- You are right. I think i need more flexible removals - the Inscription of Abundance probably need to go. Most likely need to go. Swallow Whole and Hopeful Initiate sound like great ideas. What do you think of Gleeful Sabotage? This is a whole lot of chunk of the deck to dedicate to "counters" tho. I feel this could dilute the win-con and screw me once i'm very quickly topdecked.
- This is a big issue that i can't seem to solve: green or white card draws come at a disgusting premium - i can't really afford to either Horizon Canopy or Esper Sentinel (i think especially the second would be a pretty disgusting draw engine ahah. If i can give you a suggestion if you are considering Inspiring Call (which i find could probably net me at most like 3-4 cards at best most games...tho it does provide that invulnerability that our creatures kind of need..) there's also Hunter's Insight which i have run in another deck to a moderate success, which i think as a card draw could probably work better. Again tho, in my specific case, i find that these are somewhat slow and prevent me to cast something else more useful (creatures, usually) which means i'm another turn behind on having another viable creature to attack with. I will try and see if Inspiring Call does solve some of my issues with draw and creature destruction (tho, sacrificing is always an issue...but eh).
- Savior of Ollenbock sounds like a pretty good idea, both as a (somewhat dangerous ahah) creature removal and an insurance against explosions. I don't end up with a lot of creatures on the board, usually, so Basri's Lieutenant is a fairly slow (...for my standards at least) card that probably won't do too much.
And we come to the end...what would you cut to put in 8(12?) cards? I can only clearly see 2 cards to cut (the 2 Inscription of Abundance).
3x Inspiring Call (maybe 2?) 1 extra Dromoka's Command (i really like this, since it's so flexible...) 3x Swallow Whole (maybe only 2 again?) 2x Hopeful Initiate or maybe Gleeful Sabotage since training, unless i've got a bunch of Conclave Mentor and/or Hardened Scales down is fairly slow 3x Savior of Ollenbock 3 i feel is the bare minimum to have a chance of having at least one of them down, training and etcetera at the right time.
this would make for 10 or 12 cards - maybe 8 dropping swallow whole and the extra dromoka's. Nothing that would really make this deck any faster tho.
Thanks a bunch...please let me know your thoughts!
p.s. should i just restructure the deck to go wide with tokens with stuff like Torens, Fist of the Angels and other stuff that drops tokens/boosts all creatures? That would probably break my heart ahahahah
9 months ago
Finally made the changes I've wanted to for a long time. A Vizier of Remedies and a Devoted Druid are out. Only need one of each to get the combo going, and again, it's just an incidental one more than an actual focus of the deck. I noticed the cards are pretty terrible on their own, and aren't really worth it. Devoted is a mana dork that costs 2, which makes no sense in modern these days, and the Vizier is just useless without another combo piece.
Torens, Fist of the Angels has been an amazing addition. It has the creature pressure of Magus of the Bridge or Voice of Resurgence without the weaknesses. Also, the creatures he creates are green, for Chord of Calling, and can grow big as the game goes on.
10 months ago
Have you thought about maybe Torens, Fist of the Angels?
1 year ago
Question about commander choice did you want a green and white themed deck or just wanted something not mono colored. Speaking of the theme me personally a thing human, knights and or soldiers fits the theme of that time period and that being said why not Maja, Bretagard Protector or Torens, Fist of the Angels
Just wondering but other wise looks fun
1 year ago
I definitely need to make some edits to that post. The new cards really should have been what I suggested. Things like Hopeful Initiate could have so many interactions with all your counters when needed. Torens, Fist of the Angels could also go wild here. A creature that can make counters by attacking, and then could give you tokens that can also put counters on themselves. It's got potential. If you wanted a sub theme of life gain Voice of the Blessed is a cool card, pairs well with any of the soul sisters. Cleric Class and Ranger Class both work. Depending on how competitive you are feeling Walking Ballista is an absolute powerhouse. There are so many options for your deck that I can see why something like servant of the scale wouldn't make the cut. Dont know how you feel about it, but maybe cutting some or all copies of Spike Feeder? I havent played the deck so I dont know what cards really perform and which ones dont. Hopeful Initiate competes for a spospot with Knight of Autumn. Hope some of this rambling helps!