Sengir, the Dark Baron
Legendary Creature — Vampire Noble
Whenever another creature dies (is put into the graveyard from the battlefield), put two +1/+1 counters on Sengir, the Dark Baron.
Whenever another player loses the game, you gain life equal to that player's life total as the turn began.
Partner (You can have two commanders if both have partner.)
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Sengir, the Dark Baron Discussion
1 week ago
Commander Updates Since July 2021
I added new commanders to the roster of options under the Player Profiles. They include:
- Arcum Dagsson
- Lier, Disciple of the Drowned
- Xanathar, Guild Kingpin
- Klauth, Unrivaled Ancient
- Breena, the Demagogue
- Alibou, Ancient Witness
Several new commanders work with tokens:
As a theme, tokens have felt well supported in the cube so far, even though I did not do so intentionally. As a result, I don't anticipate making changes, but it could be that I work to support this theme more fully or concentrate it in BGU, in case the new +1/+1 counters theme does not work out.
Some commanders moved out of the "high power" tier. Most dropped to "mid power," but a couple are now deemed "fringe competitive."
- Iymrith, Desert Doom
- Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
- Ertai, Wizard Adept
- Razaketh, the Foulblooded
- Daretti, Scrap Savant
- Arjun, the Shifting Flame
- Olivia Voldaren
- Tanazir Quandrix
- Tishana, Voice of Thunder
Unfortunately, most of the partner commanders I'd included were moved, so you're stuck with one of the handful of 4- or 5-color commanders if you're looking to maximize the flexibility of your deck's color identity.
1 month ago
Buckle up, this will be lengthy....Some important things I always consider when choosing a voltron commander:
1) Does my commander have built in evasion or protection. These are crucial because they require less investment into auras/equipment that protect/grant evasion to your commander, freeing up slots for other cards
2) How hard is it for my commander to reach the holy "power of 7". Ideally you want your commander to reach 7 or more power so you need fewer hits to kill an opponent. Why 7 you ask? Because there is a near step-function difference in success between 4 attacks to kill someone and 3 attacks to kill someone (in my experience).
3) Equipment/aura synergies. Some commanders have built in synergies that make them more ideal for either equipment or aura strategies.
4) Casting cost. If your commander dies, and it will, likely multiple times, can you recast them easily?
4.5) Haste. I put this one as part of #4 because if I am playing a high cmc voltron commander, they better have haste so I can immediately try to kill someone.
With those ideas in mind, here are some voltron options that I like:
Dragonlord Ojutai, my personal commander. Has built in evasion, protection, and card advantage. Moderate CMC and hits like a truck (5 starting power)
Bruna, Light of Alabaster, one of the top aura commanders out there. Has built in evasion, but her high cmc and no native protection makes her a lighting rod for removal. If you can have her survive until she attacks, it's basically game over.
Aurelia, the Warleader, arguably one of the strongest voltron commanders out there. Has built in haste and evasion. Her extra combat ability makes here very deadly and can kill someone out of nowhere. Her high cmc makes her a little more of a challenge to pilot though. Goes infinite with Helm of the Host.
Akiri, Fearless Voyager, another top voltron commander. She has built in protection and card advantage in Boros which is a major plus. She has low cmc, but is pretty small and has no evasion meaning she needs extra help to kill someone.
Akiri, Line-Slinger + anyone (blue is nice for protection): Hands down the strongest "fair" voltron commander out there. Costs a low, low 2 mana, has first strike making her a headache to block, and her passive pump ability makes her able to kill at least one person before they are even set up.
Bruenor Battlehammer: Kind of an overlooked one from AFR, but this guy slaps. He has moderate cmc, can freely equip one equipment per turn, and has the Akiri pump ability. No evasion though.
Kediss, Emberclaw Familiar + Sengir, the Dark Baron: I don't actually think this one is very good. I just think the chance to oneshot the entire table with these two is hilarious (something I was able to do in the Commander Legends draft format).
Zurgo Helmsmasher: Has haste, built in protection, and already starts at 7 power. No built in evasion, but he can grow in size all on his own. His color wedge is also great for tutoring, removal, and protection.
Galea, Kindler of Hope: Haven't had much experience with this new one, but her free aura attach ability, moderate cmc, and card advantage by playing auras off the top of your library seems pretty strong.
Ardenn, Intrepid Archeologist + anyone (I like Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh or Akiri, Line-Slinger): This guy isn't really going to be killing anyone himself, but his ability will save you a ton of mana on equip costs which allows you to keep up mana for interaction or protection.
Thrun, the Last Troll: Mono green isn't as strong as white for equipment, but it can do aura's surprisingly well. Being uncounterable, having OG hexproof, and being able to regenerate himself makes Thrun very tough to kill.
Godo, Bandit Warlord: I have to mention this one since he is the only true cEDH voltron commander.
1 month ago
I can see why you would like having exile and recursion on a stick in the command zone but you will be fine putting kaya in deck and run Ravos, Soultender you don't have to partner
but there is some good partners like Tymna the Weaver for card draw
and Sengir, the Dark Baron so that when you combo one player out it can cause a chain reaction removing the rest of your opponents
7 months ago
8 months ago
Hey, nice budget version of Edgar.
You have the right idea with wanting to cast Vamps quick to take advantage of eminence, but the manabase also needs to match this strategy. There's too many lands that will always ETB tapped which reduces the consistency of casting Vamps quick. More dual lands that can ETB untapped would speed up game play.
Some budget land upgrades to consider:
- Caves of Koilos --> Forsaken Sanctuary
- Unclaimed Territory --> Gateway Plaza
- Exotic Orchard --> Idyllic Grange
- Battlefield Forge --> Stone Quarry
- Tainted Field --> Boros Guildgate
- Smoldering Marsh --> Cinder Barrens
- Ash Barrens --> Evolving Wilds
- Temple of Silence --> Akoum Refuge
- Temple of Triumph --> Bloodfell Caves
Some other budget cards to consider adding:
- Knight of the Ebon Legion
- Forerunner of the Legion : Vamp tutor and it can repeatable pump
- Pact of the Serpent : from Kaldheim Commander and it's a powerful draw spell with Vamp tokens.
- Shadow Alley Denizen : repeatable evasion
- Rakish Heir : grows each Vamp who does combat damage to a player including itself.
- Necropolis Regent
- Etchings of the Chosen : anthem and can be repeatable protection for Vamps from board wipes by sacing tokens to protect nontoken Vamps.
- Scapegoat can save all nontoken Vamps from a board wipe by sacing one token and you get to cast the Vamps again to recover as well as trigger more eminence.
- Bloodline Pretender : it can get huge because it triggers whenever a Vamp token is created.
- Raise the Draugr : can recur two Vamps for two mana at instant speed.
Higher CMC Vamps as less needed because you have Edgar who's the six drop you want to cast more than the others, but Necropolis Regent is a budget second. Like Edgar, Regent is also good with a Vamp swam as well as with Edgar and other flying Vamps.
Some cards to consider cutting:
- Price of Knowledge
- Sengir, the Dark Baron
- Crimson Honor Guard
- Arvad the Cursed
- Bishop of Binding
- Bloodbond Vampire
- Malakir Cullblade
- Bone Splinters
- Ambition's Cost
Good luck with your deck.
plakjekaas on None
9 months ago
A few cards exist already that grant bonuses for killing other players:
10 months ago
11 months ago
Sengir, Terror of Ulgrotha
Legendary Creature - Vampire Noble
Swamps you control have ", : Create a 2/2 black Vampire creature token with flying and lifelink."
I think this would see considerable play, and reflect better his patriarch status.