|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Innistrad (ISD)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Angel
As long as you control a Human, Angelic Overseer has hexproof and is indestructible.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (10)||Xue-Kaihua , Dr.Jackel , Supremespeed , the.beanpole , Pelli , nakni , The_Munchkin , mycheze , CampbellStev , Mortiferus_Rosa|
|Want (8)||iisfunnyman , Havtorn , loganbowers , ElCamino , YouWillBeExpoded , Richardheller , king0fclubs , Bassadin|
Angelic Overseer Discussion
2 months ago
I like the theme of human tribal in the deck; there are some other good humans you could add/replace to the deck. Reflector Mage, Fiend Hunter, Benalish Marshal, Imposing Sovereign, Hostage Taker, Ertai, the Corrupted, etc. The deck definitely needs Angel of Glory's Rise because it brings back ALL your humans from the graveyard. Another synergistic card is Angelic Overseer, which becomes an indestructible, invincible wall as long as you have a human on the battlefield.
3 months ago
EspioNova Well this is now turning into a knight deck more than an angel deck! So it's up to you in what direction do you want to take it, if a full-blown knight tribal, or an angel deck supported by knights.
If that last thing is what you want, the deck looks good now creature-wise. But some suggestions you might like:
- Archangel of Tithes is a very good defensive creature, but now that you have 20+ knights to take care of defense, maybe you prefer more offensive angels. Both Angel of Jubilation and Angel of Invention will make all your creatures stronger. Angelic Overseer is also very good with all the humans you have.
- Sublime Archangel is a bit more expensive, but can easily win you the game if you have a bunch of knights on the table.
- Archangel of Thune is much more expensive than Gisela, but a beast in creature-heavy decks. Especially if you also play lifelink knights like Knight of Meadowgrain or Fiendslayer Paladin, since that will also put counters on all your creatures.
- Knight of Grace and Knight of Malice are fine but there are better knights. Apart for the ones mentioned in my previous comments, some suggestions would be Silverblade Paladin (to partner with lifelinkers), Knight Exemplar, Kinsbaile Cavalier, Riders of Gavony (if you usually play against tribal decks) or Stillmoon Cavalier.
- Lastly, all the Dauntless Bodyguard could come back to the deck now that you have more 2-3 drop creatures.
So I just threw a lot of cards in there, but it's up to your preferences and budget what changes to make. Good luck with de deck, it already improved a lot!
3 months ago
classictravel13243546576879980 Oh yes I'd love to have a couple of Lyra Dawnbringer here, but she's too expensive now so I'll wait until she sees less play and the price drops to at least half. But yeah I'd definitely like to swap Angelic Overseer or Shalai, Voice of Plenty for her at some point!
5 months ago
Angelic Overseer isn't useful at all. Yes with humans it becomes an untouchable flyer, but otherwise it has no synergy with the other cards. Also, Privileged Position and Knight Exemplar together accomplish the same thing for ALL your creatures, while Angelic Overseer plus whichever human accomplish only one untouchable creature. Angelic Overseer is also a larger mana cost than almost all of your other cards, so replacing a lower mana cost card with a higher one will only slow you down.
And on that note, a good way to speed up this deck would be to add 4 Path to Exile or Unmake in any combination. I'd cut both True Convictions, one Shielded by Faith and one Privileged Position to make room for them. They will give you control over your opponent's field plus give you more short game playable cards.
6 months ago
I think Angelic Overseer for Hero of Bladehold is a good swap. I would keep Angel of Jubilation. Duskwatch Recruiter Flip for Mind's Eye is also a good swap imo. I would def swap Oblivion Ring for Path to Exile as well. Bow of Nylea for Collective Blessing is also a good swap.
6 months ago
Thanks for the feedback bud, I'm going to respond to some of the cards individually to give a more clear explanation for why I put them in there, and then we can maybe chat more about alternatives to some of the suggested cards. I'm planning on removing the Testing cards because I think it is a misnomer. Those are cards that weren't in a lot of other Sigarda decks, not particularly cards that I wanted the most feedback on. But that's my fault for not clarifying.
- Beastmaster Ascension, Cathars' Crusade, Door of Destinies, and True Conviction are what I would consider the primary win condition cards of the deck. They do generate a lot of heat, but that's why there are four of them. Hopefully during a game I would expect to see two of them. To be honest, I much prefer counters over static effects for two reasons: they stick around when the buff is removed, and static effects turn off things like Mentor of the Meek.
- Bow of Nylea is primarily in the deck because people don't like blocking deathtouch creatures. The activated abilities are insignificant in my opinion. If i have extra mana before my next untap phase I will add a +1/+1 counter to Sigarda, or tuck four cards back in my library if Angel of Glory's Rise is dead. I could definitely see the argument for cutting this card, and you mention better stuff, but do you have any recommendations for a mass combat enabler?
- Descendants' Path and Duskwatch Recruiter Flip are a way of seeing more of my deck. Selensya doesn't have a lot of multiple draw cards, and the ones that do are typically creature specific. The only card I would be genuinely sad to tuck is Angel of Glory's Rise, and both of these cards would either cast her, or put her into my hand. Also keep in mind I have 9 cards that make me shuffle my deck, or tucking things to the bottom of my library doesn't mean I won't see them. Also I don't want Duskwatch Recruiter Flip to flip, his activated ability is significantly more impactful than the generic ramp, in my opinion.
- The main difference between Grand Abolisher and Dosan the Falling Leaf is that Grand Abolisher stops people from doing things on my turn, Dosan the Falling Leaf forces people to play instants at sorcery speed, and doesn't stop activated abilities. I think Dosan either fizzles to things that I want to stop (Karlov of the Ghost Council, Spore Frog, and sacrifice effects), and only really messes with spellslinger type decks.
- I like Eerie Interlude when someone has Nevinyrral's Disk type effects out, but until you know someone has a board wipe, or you're going to combo it with your own board wipe, you're basically holding up three mana all the time. I would love suggestions on a permanent that will do this instead.
- I understand Magus of the Disk and Shaman of Forgotten Ways are removal targets, and that they have to survive a full rotation, but keep in mind that besides a board wipe, they both require two removal interactions because Sigarda, Heron's Grace will be out anytime they are. Magus of the Disk is in here to combo with Odric, Lunarch Marshal, though I admit that combo is a little jank. Shaman of Forgotten Ways is in there to shut down some of the lifegain elements or many of the decks I've seen, and because with the exception of a token deck, I expect to have the most number of creatures out. If you were to cut these two cards, what would you replace with them?
- Oblivion Ring is okay. I intentionally picked him over Fiend Hunter or Banisher Priest because enchantments have the least amount of removal, compared to the other nonland permanent types. If I was in Orzhov I would cut this for Anguished Unmaking or some similar effect.
- Thalia's Lancers: Don't forget Bow of Nylea and Tamiyo's Journal are also tutorable. Though most of the time I would be tutoring for one of the Odrics, or Kamahl, Fist of Krosa late game for the win.
- Werebear to me is the perfect mana dork. If I see him early, he provides me with a lot of ramp. If I see him late, he's a 5/5 human for CMC 2. There are a lot of Human mana dorks, but none of them save Shaman of Forgotten Ways does anything else of use.
Sorry that was longer than expected. About your recommendations:
- Bruna, the Fading Light and Gisela, the Broken Blade: To see for Brisela, Voice of Nightmares, you'd have to draw both of those, or one and Thalia's Lancers. The chance of seeing that happen in a game is somewhere in the ballpark of 10% after seeing 20 cards, so not great. I'm not really sure they have enough value on their own to justify that, I'd rather invest two slots in things that help my already big creatures get damage through.
- Sun Titan: Does not fit the tribal restrictions. Also, I don't really want a recursion sub-theme. There are cards to do it, but in my opinion, if you're going to do recursion, you want an engine of sorts, and that is getting too close to Marchesa. Plus recurring creatures doesn't really have a win condition unless it is an engine. They are valuable sure, but that's why Angel of Glory's Rise is the only recursion card in here.
- Oketra's Monument: I've never been a super fan of reducing generic mana costs, but only three of the white creatures won't benefit from this. I really wish the tokens were Humans, but to be honest this is a definitely maybe to include. I'm not sure what I would swap this with though, any opinions?
- Hero of Bladehold: Same slight problem with Oketra's Monument, but from my research, I can't find many good Human token generators. I might swap this with Angelic Overseer.
- Marshal's Anthem: Its CMC 4 to cast, and CMC 2*X to bring back. Unless I have Mirari's Wake out, I'm probably only bringing back 1 or 2 creatures, and the +1/+1 isn't really significant enough in my opinion. I'd rather try and fit in Collective Blessing somewhere.
- Growing Rites of Itlimoc
Flip: I think this card is really cool, and I think that I wouldn't cast this unless it was going to flip the same turn. Having Gaea's Cradle for CMC 3 can be really powerful, but I don't really know what ramp I would cut. Maybe Karametra, God of Harvests? The only problem I'm seeing with this is that it is mana not , and the overwhelming majority of stuff I want to do is in white.
I would love more draw, but there isn't a lot of good draw sources in Selesnya that I can find. Have you found any that you would recommend? The main reason I have a low CMC is because all of the things I have to draw with cost mana, Like investigating, Mentor of the Meek, Duskwatch Recruiter Flip, etc. So the hope is to be able to funnel the extra mana into those draw sources. I have not really addressed the lands as of yet, but if from playtesting Reliquary Tower is needed, I'll slot it in, but I think Thought Vessel is a waste unless you are drawing an exponential amount of cast from things like Rhystic Study.
I have some cards that I'm interested in getting your opinion on, and some potential swaps that I'd also like you opinion on. I'll redo the Testing category and the maybeboard, then ask you to reconvene later if that's okay?
6 months ago
Remember to try to have exactly 60 cards. I see this is a tribal deck made of humans. Try to find a specific objective to attain (such as creating as many tokens as possible and then swinging for tons of damage), or a specific card that you can build around + have alternative winning conditions. Remember tribal decks are vulnerable to board wipes such as Wrath of God. I don't really want to tell you what to do because part of the fun is discovering for yourself what might be better for your deck and establishing your own unique way of winning. Find other decks that work similar to this one (with high scores) and see what adjustments you can make.
Firstly, you have too many creatures. White excels in control and late-game. Oblivion Ring Path to Exile are just two of many great examples that will help you establish control. You also need to prevent boardwipes Selfless Spirit or Make a Stand should help out. Secondly, focus your strategy. You're putting lifegain win-conditions in a non lifegain deck. If you want to gain some life, play something related to your deck Heron's Grace Champion although green would help. If you want protection Sigarda, Heron's Grace. If you want trample Overwhelming Stampede or flying Angelic Overseer
This time you've inspired me, I'll create a new Human's deck. I'll keep you posted
6 months ago
That name though, +1. I know she isnt buff, but since you have so many humans, Angelic Overseer might be a nice addition. Five mana for a 5/3 with flying, hexproof, and indestructible is incredible value. Herald of War is another nice angel addition, but I would only add it if you also add Angelic Overseer. Riders of Gavony is another nice human tribal card, but he/she has some muscles. Riders works best when facing other tribal decks, so maybe toss that into the sideboard instead of the main deck. However, it can offer protection against a win condition. Hilarious theme!