Creature — Angel
As long as you control a Human, Angelic Overseer has hexproof and is indestructible.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Angelic Overseer Discussion
1 week ago
- Chitinous Cloak for Sword of Fire and Ice and another equipment (Basilisk Collar perhaps) for Sword of Feast and Famine
- Akroma, Angel of Wrath for Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
- Angelic Overseer for Linvala, Keeper of Silence (depending on meta)
- Lone Rider Flip for Selfless Spirit (see Sun Titan)
- Baneslayer Angel for Sunblast Angel
- Aven Sunstriker for Aven Mindcensor
- Angelic Skirmisher (your commander already does this, or?) for Karmic Guide
- Mirran Crusader for Grand Abolisher (depending on lgs)
other good creatures:
- Abzan Falconer
- Academy Rector
- Aegis of the Gods
- Benalish Commander
- Brimaz, King of Oreskos
- Captain of the Watch
- Cenn's Tactician
- Darien, King of Kjeldor
- Daru Warchief
- Field Marshal
- Hero of Bladehold
- Hixus, Prison Warden
- Intrepid Hero
- Loxodon Gatekeeper
- Mentor of the Meek
- Metallic Mimic
- Mikaeus, the Lunarch
- Preeminent Captain
- Fiend Hunter
- Cavern of Souls
- Geier Reach Sanitarium
- High Market
- Karoo (helps with Land Tax)
- Kjeldoran Outpost
- Kor Haven
- Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
good luck chief
2 weeks ago
Hi, I'd like to make a few suggestions to help you improve your deck.
Boon Satyr is strictly better than Nyxborn Wolf. Gnarlwood Dryad would be a better deathtoucher than Deadly Recluse or Sedge Scorpion. You don't get a whole lot out of Odric, Lunarch Marshal, unless you're running something like Gisela, the Broken Blade or Baneslayer Angel, which would be better than Angelic Overseer anyway, since only 8/34 creatures are humans. Remove Titanic Growth in favor of Vines of Vastwood, which for the same mana cost will net you the same boost and hexproof on top of it, while also giving you the option to +2/+2 for 1 mana.
Lastly, you are at 81 cards. Generally you want to trim it down to 60 to improve your chances of drawing the card(s) you want to draw. I'm assuming the 5 elvish mystic is a mistake. You might also want to look for things like Path to Exile or Selesnya Charm for removal to take care of opponent's creatures that are problematic.
3 weeks ago
4 weeks ago
Path vs Journey/other lesser white removal: Sure, Path is good. But I don't think it's $6 good. Giving opponents an extra land is, IMO, an understated disadvantage. The CMC isn't the issue with Journey, it's that it's an enchantment and therefore subject to removal. All things aside, I've chosen Journey because the CMC is bearable, it doesn't cost that much to buy (This is a budget deck; also, I've had a full set for years now anyway), and it doesn't give opponents any huge advantage. Believe it or not, that free land Path grants can turn out to be really bad.
18 lands is good here. If you look at the curve, you'll see there are very few cards over 2CMC. This deck can work surprisingly well with just 2-3 lands out. I don't usually have as much land out as opponents, but it wins anyway. Running fewer lands here means more slots for 1 drop creatures.
Angelic Overseer fits because all my creatures are Human (not Soldiers). Having a hexproof, indestructible flyer can be a fun nail in the coffin, but I don't expect to draw it often or play it often, or even need it at all. It's pretty much in there for fun because there are no other high CMC spells in the deck.
Yes, the theme here is +1/+1 counters. All the creatures here have a way to get counters on their own. If/when Abzan Falconer hits, the deck usually wins. Even without the Falconer, this deck consistently puts out 4-5 creatures that all exceed 4/4 by t4-t5, and that's usually fast enough to out-big opponents turn after turn.
Ordeal of Heliod would probably be the first card I'd consider dropping. I like it because I can cast it on a creature with 2 +1/+1 counters already on it, add an extra counter and get 10 life all in the same turn. That gives this deck that extra staying power that can mean the difference between winning and losing. It's also good for sideboarding out, which is great. I see a lot of decks with all their removal in the sideboard, but nothing in the mainboard that can easily be taken away. Celestial Flare is great because it gets around hexproof and indestructible, which in my tiny circle, is clutch. It also sees a lot of back and forth in and out of the sideboard. Since almost the entire deck can be played for 2CMC or less, I end up top-decking pretty quickly. Tezzeret's Gambit is absolutely amazing here. Adding a +1/+1 counter to each of my creatures (think about that with Mikeaus, the Lunarch!) and drawing 2 cards is just sick.
Honor of the Pure is okay, but I see it as weaker than things that give permanent counters. For example, Mikeaus, the Lunarch gives each creature I control a +1/+1 counter. Even if Mike is removed, the counters stay. With Honor, if it's removed, all my creatures suffer. Add in that Honor doesn't have a body, and it doesn't look so great. When Mike hits, Champs and Lieutenants get pumped on the spot because of their tribal effects. Honor, being an enchantment, is not as good.
Metallic Mimic gets removed almost every time I play it. I added 2x in because having 2 Mikes in hand sucks. My real issue with the Mimic is that it only works when it gets out early. Late game it doesn't do much. I've considered running Adaptive Automaton, but I don't really like the its CMC. The other creatures I've been considering is Hanweir Militia Captain Flip or Ranger of Eos - both would equate to major pumps for my other creatures, tho Ranger's CMC would require a larger land base.
I've looked through a lot of cards judiciously for this deck. The weakest points are Hada Freeblade and Kazandu Blademaster - I don't want to go full on Allies - there aren't enough that fit the theme - but there aren't better low CMC creatures that generate their own counters. It's not great when A Blademaster hits but then stays stuck at 2/2 while other creatures get larger around it. For that reason, sometimes I make Mimics Allies instead of Humans, which also isn't ideal, but often works out anyway.
4 weeks ago
I highly highly suggest that you get a playset of Path to Exile in here. It's the best removal spell in Modern, and fits better in your curve than Journey to Nowhere, which costs too much, in my eyes.
Also, how is 18 lands working for you? I feel like having more would help, but this isn't my deck, so I wouldn't know for sure. Especially with a 5 drop, and several mana sinks.
Angelic Overseer seems really out of place here. I think you should run something else in it's place. A 5 mana spell that doesn't help you strategy doesn't seem worthwhile.
I also think you have too many spells. Ordeal of Heliod, Celestial Flare, and Tezzeret's Gambit would be my first thoughts on what to drop. I'm not sure if you are going for a full Soldier theme, or just a +1/+1 counter theme, but more Metallic Mimic, some Honor of the Pure, and maybe something like Soldier of the Pantheon or Hero of Bladehold.
Hope that helps a bit!
1 month ago
This advice is for going full Human Tribal, so no soldiers and spirits.
- Minus Emeria Shepherd Card is too expensive, no synergy b/c no ETB effects or payoff cards to reanimate.
- Minus Collective Effort Card is too mediocre in EDH
- Minus Devout Invocation, Although a very cool and flavourful card, it's too expensive, and doesn't have a direct impact on the board without a haste source in play.
- Minus Ajani Unyielding, Strong card, but no synergy wit the deck.
- Minus Bow of Nylea, Card is too underwhelming in EDH
- Minus Gallows at Willow Hill, again, very flavourful, but underwhelming.
- Minus Swiftfoot Boots, usually works better with big creatures that need protection, instead of a lot of small creatures, if you really want to play it, go for Lightning Greaves
- Minus Thought Vessel, you don't really need the ramp if you keep the CMC low, same goes for the hand-size limit, you want to keep casting creatures, not gain a massive hand. Imagine drawing this instead of more humans that commit to the board state.
- Minus Asceticism, you're main concern is board wipes, not target removal, I would suggest playing this in a creature based deck like Mayael the Anima
- Minus Archetype of Courage, too underwhelming in my opinion
- Minus Somberwald Sage, only ramps for big creatures, which is not your focus.
- Minus Decimator of the Provinces, too underwhelming for its cmc
- Minus Elder of Laurels, not a bad card, but only buffs one creature, you want more anthem effects.
- Minus Fiend Hunter, it's a solid card, there are better options
- Minus Geist-Honored Monk, solid card, but no human synergy and no game changer for 5 CMC
- Minus Odric, Lunarch Marshal, Minus Odric, Master Tactician, never been a fan of these.
- Minus Precinct Captain, soldiers, no humans
- Minus Ulvenwald Tracker, meh
- Minus Voice of Resurgence, obviously one of the best cards in Modern, solid in EDH, but not really a human card
- Minus Nissa, Voice of Zendikar, I get the point, but no humans
- Minus Avacyn, Angel of Hope, So good, so expensive
- Minus Mosswort Bridge, not enough value to gain here, so just a slow land card.
- Plus Skullclamp best draw engine for tokens in the game.
- Plus Devout Chaplain, solid tribe removal
- Plus Heron's Grace Champion, excellent combat trick.
- Plus Herald of War, solid tribal support
- Plus Tireless Tracker, great stand-alone with draw-engine
- Plus Grand Abolisher, anti control card
- Plus Thraben Doomsayer, free human tokens,
- Plus Angel of Jubilation, anthem
- Plus Chord of Calling, find your craterhoof on instant speed.
- Plus Eladamri's Call, tutor.
- Plus Green Sun's Zenith, tutor.
- Plus Avacyn's Pilgrim, solid human mana dork
- Plus Overwhelming Stampede wincon
- Plus Door of Destinies anthem
- Plus Akroma's Memorial wincon
- Plus Obelisk of Urd tribal anthem
- Plus Cryptolith Rite Ramp
- Plus Angelic Overseer Solid tribal support
- Plus Marshal's Anthem Recursion + Anthem
- Plus Kodama's Reach additional Cultivate
- Plus Adaptive Automaton tribal support
- Plus Enlightened Tutor
- Plus Gather the Townsfolk, more humans!
1 month ago
No Angelic Overseer for Odric shenanigans? Also might want to consider Concerted Effort -- It doesn't cover as many keywords as Odric, but it's harder to get rid of and spreads any protection abilities.
Otherwise, since you have Hydra Omnivore and Herald of the Host, going wide might be a neat idea. Grenzo's Ruffians are a smaller Omnivore with Melee, meaning it can get pretty big my itself. The other myriad creatures in Naya colours are a good idea in such a case, along with Nacatl War-Pride. Adriana, Captain of the Guard is a nice idea if you go down that route, as it'll make all your creatures bigger when you swing in and they create tokens.