|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander's Arsenal (CMA)||Mythic Rare|
|Innistrad (ISD)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Legendary Creature — Zombie
Grimgrin, Corpse-Born enters the battlefield tapped and doesn't untap during your untap step.
Sacrifice another creature: Untap Grimgrin and put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Whenever Grimgrin attacks, destroy target creature defending player controls, then put a +1/+1 counter on Grimgrin.
Commander Recommendations Start Commander Deck
Latest as Commander
Grimgrin, Corpse-Born Discussion
4 days ago
Some cards to consider:
- Bojuka Bog : A must include in any black commander deck.
- Boneknitter : Utility, simple as that.
- Corpse Harvester : Out with the old, in with the new... and a swamp!
- Cryptbreaker : So much value in such a small package. Token generating, card draw, good in the early and late game... what is not to love about this card!
- Death Baron : A zombie lord with some extra punch Sure he doesn't get deathtouch himself, but all those 2/2 tokens that are now 3/3 deathtouch.
- Dread Summons : Ever seen those zombie movies with that big hoard that just keeps coming... that's this card. Gives you a bunch of tokens, and recursion bait for your commander.
- Endless Ranks of the Dead : Card title kind of says it all for this one. Obviously not the best in metas with wrath effects coming down every turn, but shines like a copper penny otherwise.
- Ghoulcaller Gisa : So take one creature, throw it under the bus, and get more...
- Grave Titan : Why this thing isn't a zombie I will never know. 6/6 for 6, deathtouch, and brings two friends with it AND when it attacks.
- Graveborn Muse : Card draw based on zombies, who is also a zombie!
- Infernal Caretaker : Mass recursion, either play them out, or discard them back for more effects.
- Liliana, Death's Majesty : Just an all around strong zombie planeswalker.
- Liliana's Mastery : Zombies + an anthem that won't be a big target for removal.
- Lord of the Undead : A low to the ground zombie lord with recursion on a stick.
- Noxious Ghoul : Sweeps out low toughness cards for things you're already doing. Just great value.
- Relentless Dead : A great early drop, and late game it serves as a sac target + recursion.
- Shepherd of Rot : Yes it hits you, but this can be such a major threat.
- Undead Warchief : Cheaper zombies, and bigger zombies. All in one convenient package.
- Awaken the Erstwhile : Disruption, plain and simple. Sure it hurts your hand too, but you are the one with all the zombie based anthems.
- Victim of Night : Doomblade 2.0, but hits black creatures.
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier : You'll have so many tokens kicking around to exploit that she's just a straight tutor, and if she ever hits the graveyard just use her again with Scarab God.
- Fleshbag Marauder : Hurts them a lot more than you, and enter the battlefield abilities are great with Scarab around.
- Josu Vess, Lich Knight : Solid 4/5 Menace for 4, got the extra 6 mana though and he brings friends who also have menace.
- Wonder : Flying zombies... yep, that's scary.
- Pull from Tomorrow : Nice draw on an instant with the added benefit to pitch something for Scarab to target.
- Price of Fame : Legendary killer + Surveil 2... love it.
- Sinister Sabotage : Counterspell + Surveil... love it too.
- Paradox Haze : You've got a couple effects that trigger on upkeep, why not double up?
- The deck currently seems to be going in two directions, you have a large zombie theme which I love, but you also have a minor mill theme which seems out of place.
- Advanced Stitchwing : Slow for what it gives, even on the bounce back it comes back tapped.
- Apprentice Necromancer : This is one I'm on the fence suggesting, it's a one use for one turn only.
- Grimgrin, Corpse-Born : This guy is beast, but he works best in a deck build around him.
- Lamplighter of Selhoff : Slow, for his effect.
- Merciless Eternal : He's not bad, just a lot better things to include in the 3 cost bracket.
- Phenax, God of Deception : Love this guy, really do, but he's out of place here because he's a mill guy who loves big butts.
- Relentless Skaabs : This guy does everything you don't want as he hurts your graveyard in order to even hit play.
- Servant of Tymaret : Slow with high cost. In order to make the best use of him you have to be attacking, and if the way isn't clear that means a 3 mana tax just for 1 life on each opponent.
- Spiteful Returned : Don't hate it, but better things out there.
- Stitchwing Skaab : Suffers from the same as Advanced Stitchwing.
- Undead Alchemist : This guy can go either way, but the way I look at him is generally people have more cards in their decks than life, so it's easier to take out their life.
- Vindictive Lich : This guy is fun, though for his cost there is a lot more out there.
- Exotic Orchard : Risky unless you know your playgroup always has one of your colors, otherwise it's just a colorless and a swamp or island would be just as good.
- Leechridden Swamp : Slows you down for a minor effect.
- Path of Ancestry : Phenax is the only other god creature, so even if you keep him in it's very slow for the benefit it probably will never get the chance to give.
- Coat of Arms : I love this card, I really do, but it's a calculated risk and I find zombies are usually too slow of it. Run up against a goblin or elf deck and this will do more for your opponent.
- Mindcrank : This is another I'm on the fence with as it pairs really well with Scarab.
- Vanquisher's Banner : Good card, though you're not casting all those tokens so you're only getting a bit of a benefit from it.
- Liliana Vess : Good card, out of place in this deck unless you are going heavier into the mill.
- Ob Nixilis Reignited : Just completely out of place for zombie tribal.
- Glimpse the Unthinkable : One of those mill cards, it suffers as a one of.
- Rise from the Grave : Expensive for effect.
- Ruthless Disposal : This isn't bad in this deck, but compared to Morbid Slip for example it lacks that added shine.
- Curse of Disturbance : So much politics, this is VERY meta dependent as to if players fall for the bait.
- Quest for the Gravelord : This can work out, but more often then not stuff isn't dying fast enough or it just gets pinged with early removal.
- Search for Azcanta Flip: More at home in a non-creature strategy.
- Torment of Scarabs : Most people can play around this with not too much fuss, and it gives all the choice to them. I'd prefer some targeted removal.
6 days ago
Alright, this is going to be a doozy.
First off, you have multiple ways of playing Varina. From what I've experienced playtesting her (your deck specifically), she seems really good as a draw engine/fill the graveyard with stuff. But your deck doesn't seem geared towards this specific ability. I would recommend a few cards that encourage more synergy with Varina's ability. The madness cards you use currently are great examples of what I'm suggesting. Other such cards are Big Game Hunter and Archfiend of Ifnir .
I also find you're not running enough graveyard shenanigans. I'd consider cards like Dimir Doppelganger , Body Double , Lazav, the Multifarious , and Dralnu, Lich Lord as ways to further increase graveyard abuse (if you start casting more from the graveyard, River Kelpie is a possibility too).
You're playing a lot of cards that damage your opponents when a zombie dies, but very few sac outlets. It makes your deck rely a little on your opponents killing your zombies for you. In order to circumvent this, I would recommend playing "free" sac outlets such as Carrion Feeder , Voracious Null , Nantuko Husk , Viscera Seer and Grimgrin, Corpse-Born .
1 week ago
I think those are some really nice cuts, can't agree with you more except for one. Call to the Grave I would play, it's a decent card wich put's pressure on your opponents. Instead I would take out Geth, Lord of the Vault . If you don't have the money for Damnation then the more expensive Life's Finale is alright.
Things to cut for your counterspells, Dread Summons yes, Dark Salvation yes, Living Death no. The last one is really to good to cut, especially if you gonna keep your opponents graveyards empty of value with your commander. Grimgrin, Corpse-Born I would cut as well, since he wants to sac stuff, but your ethernalized creatures will be gone forever if you sac him to grimgrin. If you really need a sac outlet I would go for Yahenni, since she can survive boardwhipes.
Other slot's im not so sure about are: Midnight Reaper and i'm sorry Bontu's Monument The monument does not provide any bonus in activating your God more than once, only provides a discount on casting spells. A true mana rock would be a better choice for this slot, since it can be used for both! Mind Stone for example. The lifeloss the monument gives, your commander will provide as well. Don't forget about Paradox Haze wich gives you 2 upkeeps ;)
Hope this helps again! And you know where to find me if you want to discuss some more! :)
1 week ago
Ripwater, I Made some changes (and future changes) to the deck, but i still want to add a section of counterspells and might cut Dread Summons , Dark Salvation , Living Death and some Zombie (maye Rot Hulk , Grimgrin, Corpse-Born ? I should run at least 4 I believe.
1 week ago
Make sure and pick up Buried Alive as it is very synergistic with your commander putting Rot Hulk and two other zombies of your choice into your graveyard for profit. Also get yourself Gravecrawler for use with Grimgrin, Corpse-Born or Carrion Feeder if you add it.
1 week ago
ColonelCreampuff, thanks for your comments! You are totally right regarding the high cost creatures, as Josu Vess, Lich Knight is also playable for 4 mana (and probably wins the game at 10), and Lim-Dul the Necromancer & Rot Hulk are so powerfull in combination with the Zombie Tribal theme, I decided to keep them. I did replace Overseer of the Damned for Grimgrin, Corpse-Born , thanks for the tip!
Again thanks a lot for the advice! :)
2 weeks ago
BUMP BUZZING CHROMIUM FOR SOMEONE ELSE!
Alright. Here's the situation. I seriously doubt Chromium, the Mutable would work good as an ESPER CMDR here. I've a lot of things to add at some point, but I'm unsure what CMDR to replace Chromium 2.0 though:
Oloro, Ageless Ascetic : We're playing powerful cards that best fit my Vorthos Deck based on "BMH: The UnExperience", if you want to poke fun at that name, not do something Orzhov () can do better w/o .
Zur the Enchanter : Don't get me wrong, he's awesome, but... just look at the number Enchantments I have already; not even enough to warrant this.
Sen Triplets : I seriously dunno how the Powerpuff Girls as Esperites would work as it just simply counts as only one opponent as a target each turn. Skip.
Sydri, Galvanic Genius : If she were a Legendary Artifact Creature, she would be WAY better than the aforementioned Sphinx that's more incorrect than The Riddler. Even so, this is a skip for the same reasons as the Hegemon herself.
Merieke Ri Berit : Err... Why would I use this, when I plan to update this deck with one Perplexing Chimera that, when one casts something good, I trade control over such a much needed creature anyway, while Eldrazi Displacer can easily give me back my Chimera. Now I just want to protect my Displacer though....
Aminatou, the Fateshifter : Awesome Walker, unsure if she'll do any good here; though this is part Value Town, so how should I know? Opinions?
Varina, Lich Queen : If I wanted to make a Zombie Tribal Deck, I'd use either her, or even Thraximundar ; & exclude anything involving "Gisa the Mad"; she's a (A kitten died as I said the B word, & is censored by #CATMEGEDDON), & clearly wants to kill both Stitcher Geralf , Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist , & everything they both worked on as "Impurities" to the undead. Kaya, Orzhov Usurper , & Teyo Verada both say hi, you Mad, Necromancing, Excuse for a MTG Character. I hope you get executed by the Inquisitors of Innistrad; by Guillotine! & if anyone tries to use Ghoulcaller Gisa, even Gisa & Geralf (See? No Links because Gisa the Mad doesn't deserve this crap! :D) for Zombie Tribal decks in the future, Grimgrin, Corpse-Born & Rooftop Storm both say the exact thing Anne Robinson will say to everyone as a former game show host: (Tips head) "You suck!" (Smirks like an asshole).
/endrant, & all further use of Gisa abusing Geralf in all errata, & decks with said errata; Geralf is wiser, & more reserved anyway. I can relate to Geralf more than that Kaya-Hating Brother Killer not deserving of life anyway. :D
Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign : Finally... something. While I do have some even costs here & there, at least this seems decent as I have more odd costs. I wonder...
Dakkon Blackblade : Are you an idiot!? Blackblade Reforged is basically the same effect, just a Legendary Artifact - Equipment. Skip for damn sure! &, Gideon Jura is using it now, after he was dubbed a crap leader of the Gatewatch by Nicol Bolas, & lost his Sural & Self-Determination! I bet he now has in his blood!
Dromar, the Banisher : Why the bloody hell would anyone run Monocolors still?!
Chromium : What the hell is Rampage? How does this work, & why am I taxed to keep this MechaGodzilla wannabe incarnation of one from Core 19 that's far better?!
(Any Partner CMDR Duos that have a combined Identity of ): (Rips one of them to show they suck.)
Yep, that's my thoughts of all the other Esper Legends. If you have something to say that could be used in this situation in place of Chromium, the Mutable , your opinions for a better substitute is very much welcome. It's just I'm running a COMPLETELY differing deck than what Esper normally runs.
Opinions are open for debate now. Oh, & about Geralf, here's his best quote as a warning to priests (Including Gisa the Mad as a Ghoulcaller.) as he zaps hell on Innistrad:
"Let those idiot priests tremble! A new era in unlife begins here and now. Oglor, raise the lightning vane!"
You have to admit, this is Geralf at his most badass. I don't even give a crud about "Olgor" anyway. PX
Grimgrin, Corpse-Born occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%