Whenever a player casts a red spell, you may gain 1 life.
|Have (2)||orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , abritt|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Dragon's Claw Discussion
6 days ago
This is an excellent idea for a deck! Burn with beaters!
My only suggestions would be that Light Up the Stage is kind of a non-bo with Isochron Scepter since you can't imprint the exiled cards. Since you are running blue and red both there are tons of cards that can recur spells from the graveyard that might be better and blue just has access to straight up draw spells. Light Up the Stage is really intended as one of the workarounds to mono-Red not having access to true draw effects that aren't attached to wheels or looting. Expressive Iteration is just a straight up better card imo when running blue splash since you get a card in hand and a card you can cast from exile. If you're really intent on running Light Up the Stage you might think about replacing the Sceptres with something that just straight copies spells (too many to list here).
For your sideboard: Izzet Charm gives you lots of options and a wheel draw. Azorius Charm gives you draw or the lifelink can be amazing on your pile of golems you just put out. The other ability is also nice for dealing with tricky indestructible creatures or the like. Peek gives you vital information and cantrip draw, but I get it can be hard to run in a deck that is just splashing blue. Dragon's Claw will help you with a burn mirror and work with most of your cards.
2 weeks ago
I'd consider Kor Firewalker over Cbrutality. Yes, the WW cost can be difficult but I think you have enough white sources to run it, and it deals with burn much more efficiently than Cbrutality. Cbrutality is more for black decks that don't run white and don't want to waste slots on Dragon's Claw.
1 month ago
I've always wanted to build a braids modern deck, but casting a 4 drop in a smallpox deck always seemed a bit risky to me, while running braids without smallpox always seemed too slow. Here are my comments on your list:
You have some cards that don't add enough to your gameplan.
1) Greater Harvester looks cute, but it sucks. A static ability that only affects you, while the only way for it to cause your opponent to sacrifice stuff is to deal combat damage with a 5/6 vanilla creature without any evasion or trample or anything. Even with Braids wiping your opponent's board this card will definitely hurt you more than them. World Queller is still pretty expensive, but has a much nicer effect that lets you choose the permanent type. I probably wouldn't run either but having another 5 cmc Braids is cool.
3) I know you run Thalia, Guardian of Thraben to tax your opponents and make it even harder for them to cast spells along with braids, but you have so many noncreature spells that it's probably not that good here either.
4) Leyline of the Meek synergizes with your token plan, but doesn't help you stretch out the game, deny your opponent resources, or create more tokens for yourself. If you really want to play something to buff your tokens I'd use Intangible Virtue , but I don't recommend it.
5) Timely Reinforcements definitely doesn't fit here. There's a reason it usually isn't played in decks with a lot of other token producers - because then its effect would be useless. Add in braids wiping the opponent's creatures and it becomes even worse. 4 Souls + 4 BB already seems like a good token package to me. It could maybe be a one-of in the sideboard though against hyper-aggressive decks.
6) Cabal Coffers is very questionable, since your land count is probably not going to be that high. If you are going to keep it, definitely add more Urborgs. Also 25 lands is a little high even for a pox deck like this one, I think 24 is the perfect number.
7) Crucible of Worlds does have nice synergy with sacrificing lands (and replaying Flagstones is pretty cool) but a lot of the time you would probably be sacrificing tokens instead. I don't think the card is that great here unless you have Flagstones of Trokair on the field, so if you need space for other cards I would recommend cutting these.
You should probably have more early game resource denial, lower your mana curve, and have more pieces that break symmetry.
1) Braids is a four drop, and doesn't have any impact on the board unless she survives a turn. You definitely need something early game that has a similar effect to braids. I don't think this deck can function without 4x Smallpox .
2) 4x Flagstones of Trokair . No questions asked. Also 2-3 Urborgs (esp if you keep Cabal Coffers). T1 Urborg, Inquisition/Thoughtseize into T2 flagstones + smallpox is backbreaking.
3) Bloodghast gives something to discard to pox, and you can repeatedly sacrifice it to braids as well. Nether Spirit is another option but I don't think it works well here.
4) Multiples of Braids suck, so I'd go down to 3 copies.
5) You could consider Sedgemoor Witch as a token producer instead of Bitterblossom. Not quite as sure about this one; it does something even if you only use the tokens to feed braids and gains life while BB loses life, but it also costs 1 more mana and acts as a juicy removal target. However, with braids on the field you already have removal targets so it probably isn't as much of an issue as it seems.
Your only early game disruption is Thoughtseize. This is definitely not enough.
1) I'd run 6-8 discard spells total between Thoughtseize and Inquisition of Kozilek . Honestly, In my opinion the best is a 4 IoK/2 Seize split, since IoK is better early game and you should be able to prevent your opponent from casting 4+ cmc spells anyways.
2) I understand that you are running Vindicate so you can blow up your opponent's lands, but you should definitely have some cheaper removal. I'd probably cut one and run 2-3 Fatal Push . Bloodchief's Thirst or Prismatic Ending could also work, just anything that isn't Path to Exile .
About the sideboard cards
2) Some boardwipes are probably needed, even though they don't synergize that well with tokens or braids. Without them, you'll just get run over by aggressive decks. Best ones are Damn and Bontu's Last Reckoning (first one is more of a 1-2x mainboard card, while second one is probably a 2-of in the sideboard).
2 months ago
- Curse of Opulence
- Price of Progress
- Repeated Reverberation
- Magma Jet
- Star of Extinction
- Ruby Medallion
- Blood Moon
- Koth of the Hammer
- Chandra, Fire Artisan
- Dualcaster Mage
- Magus of the Wheel
- Magmatic Sinkhole
- Extraplanar Lens
Specific hate - Red Elemental Blast
3 months ago
Thanks a lot for your suggestions, but I'd recommend this for a budget sideboard:
1x Jegantha, the Wellspring CMPN
A lot of the cards you suggested are really good when cast off of Tron, but most of the time you'd much rather be playing the payoff cards in the main deck with your Tron mana; the sideboard should be more focused on shoring up bad matchups (life gain and removal for aggro decks, graveyard hate for Dredge and combos) and countering your opponent's sideboard cards ( Wilt to deal with stuff like Damping Sphere ) on the turns before you have Tron, since that's when your opponents are most likely to beat you or play their anti-Tron cards.
6 months ago
Here's a quick-and-dirty update to my old grixis list - not even playtested, but a point of reference, nonetheless.
It sounds like we all have slightly different directions we might like to take - Gearhulk, the new Command, maybe a more tempo build, etc. If y'all have other ones, I encourage you to whip them up, and we can all reference off of one another.
One piece I know that's kinda missing is a solid option against Burn. Kalitas is great, but how much sideboard space can we really devote? Collective Brutality is handy, but not sure it's worth maindeck - and while a kinda-sorta two for one against burn is nice, it still seems "just okay." We really want something like Weather the Storm , sadly. Maybe Dragon's Claw is worth it?
9 months ago
10 months ago
Hey, thanks for your decklist. I am going to buy this deck! I was thinking about a few new cards, could you tell me what you think about them please?