|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Rare|
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition (MM3)||Rare|
|Shards of Alara (ALA)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Dragon
When Broodmate Dragon enters the battlefield, create a 4/4 red Dragon creature token with flying.
Broodmate Dragon Discussion
2 days ago
Creature - Dragon
When Firesnort Broodling enters the battlefield, each player that controls an artifact loses 3 life.
3 / 3
3 months ago
I think, overall, the core balance of ramp/draw/dragons is feeling good, but yeah, certain dragon slots should be re-evaluated w/ new sets/meta shifts every so often. Any time I've been feeling "I don't really want to see this" with a dragon, I'm making note of which one and why.
As to Cultivate in particular, I cut it awhile back and haven't missed it. Our ramp and fixing is fine without it; we're only running 5x basics; the ramp package is diverse enough with better 3CMC payoffs, etc. I really just want 2CMC land ramp.
I'm also pulling apart a Teferi (and then Urza) deck at the moment, so am testing with Mox Diamond and Chrome Mox from that deck, as previously discussed, and that kind of also pulls away from needing 3CMC ramp slots. After some adjustments, I have my average CMC down to 2.73 . . . but reevaluating the whole Greater Good plan. It's often great value and can set up a backup combo, but has pretty frequently just been a dead draw depending on board states. Without Patriarch's Bidding , draw 4 and discard 3 for most of our creatures is . . . fine, but not amazing, and can set you up for a brutal graveyard exile b/c it is so telegraphed.
Most of the time I've been winning games via "go wide"/combat, rather than the outright combos, so I'm treating the Thunderbreak Regent and Glorybringer slot as a flex one and looking again at Verix Bladewing , solely for how the flexibility can play well once we have an engine going. With the right cards in play, it does more than it seems for one card, mainly for the relevance with early power (draw triggers), "dragons matter" triggers. I still think Broodmate Dragon isn't worth consideration, but the flexibility (early development into Dragon Matters payoffs or later game doubling those payoffs for cheap) is the key here and something I'd undervalued previously. Sometimes a 4/4 flyer for 3CMC or even 1CMC is good enough; as overall non-dragon card quality has increased, the pressure to have every dragon do a cool toolbox thing has lessened a bit vs curve and board presence/flexibility considerations, at least for me.
4 months ago
So, below is a list of cards I am considering adding. Thank you Struyk for some ideas! I am not a fan of the Sarkans though. None of them are really good enough to make the deck. Let me know what you think about the list, and what you think I should cut from the deck!
Morophon, the Boundless - Now the best card in the deck, bar none! He only cost in the decks thanks to our commander, and even makes The Ur-Dragon cost right back! That is a good relationship right there!
Rhythm of the Wild - Protection for counter and hate/pump in one small package. Pretty sweet!
Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner - She can ramp, see can untap something to block, and she draws cards. Seems pretty good to me!
Colossal Majesty - Situational +1 draw is kinda risky...
Niv-Mizzet Reborn - I just think it is cool. Only hits about a dozen cards in the deck though...
Prismatic Vista - Seems ok.. but not great in 5 cooler with only 5 basic lands.
Primevals' Glorious Rebirth - The CMC keeps making me not like this card. It can get you out of a losing game though...
6 months ago
- Well, 5 fetchlands is too low to be reliable, I'd say 7-8 is a good starting point but grave hate is enough to run Deathrite Shaman and for other dorks Noble Hierarch is a good fixing but for me it's not worth that much money. In Modern it might be since it won me many games while I was plaing infect but here... better Llanowar Elves for 40 bucks? I pass...
- Bloom Tender is indeed fragile, that's the weakness of mana dorks but I use him for ramp/fixing since it can reliably hit 2+ mana without much effort. Until I started to use proxies I ran Sylvan Caryatid - 0/3 body with hexproof might be good enough for you then.
- Verix might be enough if it's kicked but I'm still not convinced since applying the same logic Broodmate Dragon is 3 mana for 2 bodies - too much setup IMHO, I'd prefer my Dragons to work their abilites on their own and for cheap. Maybe I'll try it later but for now I feel like I have too much 3 CMC spells already.
- Hellkite Tyrant is only one card and you don't have guaranted draw of it besides tutors (which probably should be more in our decklists but I don't have idea what should be cut). Also things like Trinisphere should die because no matter who controls it, they still cripple us. And being targeted removal with option of blowout is flexible enough for me.
- About Mana Vault I might be biased a little since it lead to some explosive early game turns for me, where Urza's Incubator would only durdle me for 3 turns. That's true, without ways to untap it that upkeep cost is painful but sometimes I've experienced that much ramp so losing was like nothing.
- For Expedition Map it's comparison game - is it better to have basic land on board or next land drop being any land you want? For me it's the latter and sometimes it took me out from crappy hands since we need 3 mana at the very least.
- Updates are welcome and since I upvoted your list I'm already subscribed to any change you post so I'll be notified and more than happy to check out what you've changed.
6 months ago
Hello, first things first I must thank you for reaching out to me. Recently I got sick and tired of more casual Ur-Dragon decks and I'm very glad that someone out there also looks for ways to make it more optimized.
So let's start the analysis, creatures first:
- I feel like this deck would use more dorks like Bloom Tender and Deathrite Shaman - this brings total of non-Dragon creatures to 5 but they all have CMC 1-4 and very clear purpose as they ramp and provide other useful abilities like grave hate, trample or more than 1 mana. I perfectly understand hesitation when it comes to Bloom Tender because of it's high price but Deathrite Shaman is pure value so it gets banned everywhere, which combined with recent reprint makes it very affordable.
- Verix Bladewing - I feel like this dragon is a trap. It tempts you with 3 CMC but brings nothing more than a quasi-vanilla 4/4 with Flying and when kicked is nothing more than 1 mana more expensive Broodmate Dragon so...
In case of Broodmate... I don't think someone would use spell like this:
- Crucible of Fire - I think it's a "win more" card and sometimes you win without combat so I'd recommend Carpet of Flowers - helps estabilishing early even if it gives only 1 more mana. There are of course times that this enchantment will be useless but the times it's very powerful and helpful really outweigh the negatives so no wonder it's used in many cEDH builds
- I really like the idea of 1 CMC counterspell but how about Stubborn Denial ? Instead of giving someone body to block/sac you have Mana Tithe early (just observe if someone completely taps out) and straight up Negate later since almost every creature in the deck is able to meet that requirement.
- Also I can't recommend enough value of Vandalblast - it's very cheap removal or just artifact wipe and I'm really happy card with this flexibility exists.
- I don't really like the idea of Urza's Incubator since it helps other's cast their Dragons and I just prefer mana rocks that color fix. This might sound contradictory to the idea behind Goreclaw but she is a big body and provides slight buff and trample on top of cost reduction so it all justifies it's inclusion. For mana rock that would help maybe Mana Vault ?
- Speaking of fixing I personally use Expedition Map for this reason and when I'm done fixing I can just tutor for Cavern of Souls or Homeward Path in more control match-ups. Also I don't understand the hype behind Coalition Relic .
- Planeswalkers tend to die fast so I evaluate them as modal spells and Sarkhan Unbroken is not very impressive:
- So to the above point I'd just go for Sarkhan Vol , which has haste or Act of Treason modes or Sarkhan the Mad to just kill someone with dragons by combat without combat (like some kind of Sun Tzu xD) and if it survives for another turn then draw off of it or get token.
- Also I'm thinking about running Living Death - what are your thoughts?
And that's probably it from me, let me know what you think about these.
7 months ago
Out: - Citadel Siege - Crucible of Fire - Dragon Breath - Dragon Fangs - Dragon Scales - Dragon Shadow - Fervent Charge - Mighty Emergence - Sarkhan's Unsealing - Triumph of Ferocity - Atarka Monument - Dragon's Hoard - Dromoka Monument - Kolaghan Monument - Ojutai Monument - Silumgar Monument - Response / Resurgence - Akoum Hellkite - Bone Dragon - Dromoka, the Eternal - Flameblast Dragon - Foe-Razer Regent - Furyborn Hellkite - Hoarding Dragon - Jugan, the Rising Star - Mana-Charged Dragon - Nicol Bolas - Shieldhide Dragon - Azorius Chancery - Gruul Turf - Izzet Boilerworks - Orzhov Basilica - Rakdos Carnarium - Simic Growth Chamber
Replacement Options - Atarka, World Render - Boneyard Scourge - Broodmate Dragon - Darigaaz Reincarnated - Dragonlord Kolaghan - Harbinger of the Hunt - Hellkite Tyrant - Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund - Kokusho, the Evening Star - Nesting Dragon - Rith, the Awakener - Ryusei, the Falling Star - Scourge of the Throne - Utvara Hellkite - Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire - Skyshroud Claim - Nissa's Pilgrimage - Farseek - Sol Ring - Smothering Tithe - Dragonspeaker Shaman - Earthquake - Commander's Sphere - Chromatic Lantern - Darksteel Ingot - Wayfarer's Bauble - Fellwar Stone - Armillary Sphere - Burnished Hart - Mirari's Wake - Curse of Opulence - Unclaimed Territory - Exotic Orchard - Mountain s, Swamp s, Forest s, Island s, Plains
7 months ago
8 months ago
By the way, I'm honestly not sure... are you sure the Panharmonicon , Dragon Tempest , Broodmate Dragon combo works that way? As far as I know, when several ETB effects trigger at the same time, it's up to you which one you want to resolve first. Obviously, you'd put the dragons into play first. So shouldn't they all be making 6 damage, for a total of 18? I feel like the damage gets calculated when the ability gets resolved. Really not sure though.
Broodmate Dragon occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%