Creature — Vampire
Sacrifice a creature: Bloodthrone Vampire gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Zendikar vs. Eldrazi (DDP)||Common|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Common|
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Common|
|2011 Core Set (M11)||Common|
|Rise of the Eldrazi (ROE)||Common|
|Promo Set (000)||Common|
Combos Browse all
- Blade of the Bloodchief + Bloodthrone Vampire
- Blood Artist + Bloodthrone Vampire + Gravecrawler
- Blood Artist + Bloodthrone Vampire
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Bloodthrone Vampire occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Bloodthrone Vampire Discussion
1 month ago
Dictate of Erebos is another Grave Pact. Triskelion is infinite with Mikaeus. Ashnod's Altar and Nim Deathmantle go infinite with Wurmcoil Engine and are just all around excellent to have. They also go infinite with Mikaeus and Kokusho, the Evening Star which is another all around good card in general for this deck. Bloodthrone Vampire is another excellent sacrifice outlet. Also High Market deserves a land slot.
Excellent first draft.
1 month ago
Alright, so i have some spare time currently and will try to give you some more advice.
Dead Man's Chest - Funny card, but not really on theme with your deck as far as i can see
Path of Bravery - Does to little imo, but i have never seen it in play, so it may overperform
Skymarcher Aspirant - Even if you have ascent, its only a 2/1 flyer for one mana
Paladin of Atonement - Same reasoning as for Path of Bravery
Bloodcrazed Paladin - The fact that it does not have trample makes it a lot worse than one might think
Queen's Commission - Not a bad card, but one of the weaker ones imo
I think you are running too few sacrifice outlets, especially since you are a vampire tribal and need creatures to die for your commander. You already have Yahenni, Undying Partisan, but there are also Viscera Seer, Ashnod's Altar, Phyrexian Altar, Altar of Dementia, Blood Bairn, Anowon, the Ruin Sage, Gatekeeper of Malakir, Indulgent Aristocrat, Voldaren Pariah Flip and Bloodthrone Vampire (No particular oder, but free sac outlets like Viscera Seer are great!)
I really like your deck idea and think that you already are on a great way. If i were you i would abondon the life gain theme and focus more on being an aristocrat deck since your commander heavily suggest you to do so (and also because it is really powerful), but i guess lifegain is more flavourfull with Vampires :)
Good luck with your deck!
2 months ago
2 months ago
Red_X I made some changes inspired by your comment, I think I may be missing something as it still takes until about turn 8 to reliably win on one turn and it's with less damage. to defend some of my original List however, Risen Reef because it is an enter the battlefield effect combos nicely with Journey to Eternity Flip or Supernatural Stamina and being able to play the land directly seemed to bring more benefit than Elvish Visionary and the splash generally had no downsides. Blisterpod and Risen Reef would often allow me to play Liliana, Dreadhorde General on turn 4 or 5. I do greatly agree with Blood Artist, Bloodthrone Vampire, and Immortal Servitude. I'm working on bringing the deck from a more casual speed to a competitive modern speed, and would love to be reliably going wide with tokens by turn 4 in order to rogues passage Bloodthrone Vampire for lethal on turn 5. I also have an attachment to Parallel Lives but it does often slow me down, do you know of a card with similar effects (maybe Sifter of Skulls) but is actually cheaper and legal in modern?
2 months ago
So, I have a few critiques of the deck if you're trying to make it competitive. If this is just for fun with friends or you don't want to get other cards, feel free to ignore all of this.
1) Why Arboreal Grazer? You only run 22 lands so it's often dead, and I think it would often be better as a mana dork or something else.
2) Risen Reef seems strange to me. I don't think it's bad, but once again you only have 22 lands and it's your only elemental, so it's almost always a 3 mana Elvish Visionary that makes you splash for blue. If you had more elementals or more lands it might make sense (and I don't think you need more lands)
3) Liliana is way above the rest of your curve here. You're only going to be able to cast her on turn 6 less than half the time (assuming you've drawn at most 2 extra cards and your 6th land wasn't a tap land), and she's not enough to get you back into the game after a board wipe, which is what you want planeswalker to do in this type of small creature deck.
4) Parallel lives is a win more card and is going to be stuck in your hand or slow you down most of the time. It only works with Blisterpod, Liliana, and Hangarback Walker, and the third one is the only time it's relevant (at which point you should porbably just max out on hangarback walker and find something else)
5) You're not playing enough copies of your best cards and/or you don't have a great way to utilize them. Bloodghast can be really good for the deck, but not when you're casting it for and when you only have one of them. If you want to run it, self mill or discard is a much stronger enabler, and would set up one of my later points. Additionally, you're playing only 4 copies of your best win condition, when you could be playing 8: Blood Artist. You may only want 6-7 total copies, but blood artist also pings your opponent for their creatures dying, which helps when you're chumping against aggro. Bloodthrone Vampire can be copies 5-8, or just a better version, of Nantuko Husk for combo turns, although that extra point of toughness does matter if you're playing against a lot of Jund/prowess.
6) Have a way to just win the game. Changing up the mana base may be worth it to play Rally the Ancestors or Return to the Ranks, or you can just play Immortal Servitude without changing anything (Bloodthrone vampire, zulaport cuthroat, and blood artist all come back from an immortal servitude on 2). That lets you pay 5ish mana to bring back multiple drain/gain effects, a number of creatures (possible drawing extra cards if you bring in things like Elvish Visionary), and a sac outlet, and then dome your opponent for 8+ damage in one turn.
7) Night's whisper is a little strange in a deck trying to get a critical mass of creatures. Something like Elvish Visionary will probably suit you better. Supernatural Stamina similarly feels out of place, since you want to use all your mana each turn and often would prefer another creature to bringing back one that's about to die.
Feel free to use all of these suggestions, none of them, or pick and choose. I like where you're going with the deck, I just think it's a bit unfocused right now
2 months ago
TallKanz211 hello, to better explain the Ad-Naus/Grace combo, you cast Naus holding priority casting Grace, which means your opponents cannot interact. Once you draw your deck, you should be at 1 life. Then you can play out all the rocks in your hand and simply cast Sickening Dreams for the win. If that isn't available due to what transpired throughout the game, i.e mill, exiled cards, etc., you can win via infinite life getting infinite +1 counters on your commander or Carrion Feeder/Bloodthrone Vampire by sacing Leonin Relic-Warder from his death trigger on Animate Dead(this is infinite etb's) and move all of them to The Ozolith just to feed it to Walking Ballista and burning the table. Honestly, this might be better with Blood Artist and co, but I am testing for now.
You also have access to infinite mill using your altars and Leonin Relic-Warder.
4 months ago
If you have 10 Zombies Tokens on the field and you sac them all to one of these creatures, it'll make them a 20/20. You can then sac one of these creatures to Gisa to essentially double you tokens.
I hope this helps!
4 months ago
Ah, a beloved commander of most. I myself toiled with a list for quite some time, so I have some recommendations, as well as menial ones.
For the ones unrelated to the deck, you have a typo of "probably" in the deck description, as "probaly." I merely point this out. My other note on formatting is that you may add a space to category titles. A athwart to "SacOutlet," try "Sac_Outlet." You also have two Karmic Guides, and Magus of the Wheels. And Ravenous Chupacabra. And Yawgmoth, Thran Physician... How did you do that?
As for the decklist, there are some cards in profuse I would at least try.
Protector of the Crown allows for many politics and defense, warding off much attacking due to the high toughness. Paired with cards such as Darksteel Plate, it can be difficult for some decks to interact with.
False Prophet is awesome. It comes back, with your profusion of sacrifice outlets is easily controllable, and leaves your board-state in the graveyard to inevitably return.
I don't much enjoy spells such as Thrill of Possibility or Cathartic Reunion, for they require cards in hand to do anything. If you don't have any, they are a horrible top-deck. I'd recommend Ransack the Lab in their lieu.
Selfless Spirit. I shall say no more.
Having additional reanimation outside of your commander is a cruciality above most. When Alesha starts costing, five, even seven mana, it's difficult for this deck to get back on its feet. Dread Return and Unburial Rites are great, even if they are to be milled over. Animate Dead is just powerful, Restoration Specialist pulls her weight, and Phyrexian Reclamation often keeps the deck going by itself. Lastly, Sun Titan is ridiculous. It recurs what is a necessity, does so immediately, can be cheated out with a reanimation spell. It is the best backup commander one could ask for. Best off, it does go infinite with Gift of Immortality and effects such as Goblin Bombardment. Bye-bye table.
Now, gaining life is important, and Gray Merchant of Asphodel is splendid.
With rummaging effects, self-mill becomes easy with Dredge cards. Stinkweed Imp and Golgari Thug are both lovely. One self-mill effect I've enjoyed is Shard of Broken Glass. A 4/2 first strike is difficult to block prosperously.
Categories and cards to consider ablating:
You have seven sacrifice outlets, most of which are easily brought back, but they don't stack well, whereat multiple in one given game are typically useless. Of these, Blood Bairn seems the most lacking. If you aren't to fain to cut one, you should know that Bloodthrone Vampire exists.
Black Market is a VERY slow card. It's five mana, doesn't do anything immediately, and requires additional stuff to happen to make it function. I don't enjoy it too much, but your choice.
Ravenous Bloodseeker has you discard a card without replacing it. Games of commander require cards in hand to proceed, and, as such, I don't believe this to be very powerful.
You have a lot of removal. A Lot. Whilst they are all great, I have a gripe with but one. Utter End is four mana to kill one thing. Sure it's an instant and sure it's exile, but it's a lot of mana. If you want to keep all of the removal, I'd at least try other options. Despark is fine, Chaos Warp hits all permanents with a cheaper cast, and Generous Gift is arguably more prominent than Vindicate.
If you would pardon the long comment, that is all of my input. Have a lovely day and happy reanimating!