|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition (MM3)||Rare|
|2012 Core Set (M12)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Illusion
You may have Pantasmal Image enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield, except it's an Illusion in addition to its other types and it gains "When this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it."
Phantasmal Image Discussion
1 week ago
You are correct. Lot’s of decisions. You’ll definitely know more after 10 rounds of play. Nothing tunes your deck better that repetition of play.
So far your updates look good.
2 weeks ago
@Catpocolypse I completely agree with removing Phantasmal Image . There were definitely a lot of times when I would draw Phantasmal Image while playtesting and wish I had one of my big hitters in my hand instead.
I am, however, hesitant to run Pact of Negation in this deck because I'm already running Summoner's Pact . While playtesting this deck there are a lot of times where I rely on Summoner's Pact to get a creature out to ensure an early game win and I don't want to get caught using both Pact of Negation and Summoner's Pact on the same turn and losing the game.
2 weeks ago
so I'll adjust my sideboard accordingly,
-1 Harbinger of the Tides + 1 Echoing Truth so I have 2x Echoing Truth and 2x Hurkyl's Recall ( i went with echoing because I feel like I should not be troubled too much by creatures that should force me to run vapor snag due to island-walk being a thing.)
For the mainboard, I am either thinking of taking out the Merrow Reejerey as you said because it isn't as popular anymore... and put in 4 Benthic Biomancer ? was also looking at Phantasmal Image for more lords and stuff but that doesn't get played either + it dies to bounce :s... Or play the 4 retorts mainboard and add the biomancers in the side if I really need to race or have card draw while pitching some dead lands draws in the late game sound good as well. aaaaaaaaaaaaa decisions xD
2 weeks ago
So just so you know, you could get a t3 Emrakul using Elvish Piper
T3: Cheat out Emrakul, the Aeons Torn and proceed to win the game.
Deck talk now. I would drop the Phantasmal Image . Anything you would copy could easily win the game on its own, and ElvishPiper rulings state that the card MUSR be in your HAND, which makes Phantasmal Image useless when you could be hitting an Emrakul, the Aeons Torn instead. I'd add 2 copies of Emrakul, the Aeons Torn and 1 more copy of whatever threat you favor most after that.
2 weeks ago
Phantasmal Image is another excellent choice, usually you'll want to copy your lords, but against the aforementioned prison decks, copying Noble Hierarchs helps out a lot too.
3 weeks ago
> weird mashup of ramp into semi-big threats with suboptimal control elements.
That's actually a great definition of what Ponza is all about! I usually describe the deck more like "aggressive ramp into bulk rares that you would never expect could be good in Modern, with an overlay of annoying mana-denial Control", but yours will certainly do. The thing is, it works surprisingly well in many metas.
> besides fetchlands, what activated or triggered abilities are you hoping to stop with Repudiate / Replicate
I actually laid that out in the deck description, but in case you missed it here it is again:
- Opponent transforms a Thing in the Ice? Repudiate the triggered ability and our team stays on the field.
- Opponent wants to make us sac' a creature with Lili, put a Terminus on top with Jace, or ultimate whatever random Planeswalker they have? Repudiate the activated ability and we've totally turned the game around.
- Opponent tries to Modular a ton of +1/+1 counters onto their attacking Inkmoth Nexus, wipe our board with an Oblivion Stone, Equip a Batterskull, Crew a Smuggler's Copter, etc, etc, etc? Repudiate gives us answers (or at least options) we never had in 'normal' Ponza.
Here are more details though, looking at the top meta decks in turn ...
- UR Phoenix: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Awoken Horror . Often good vs. triggers of Snapcaster Mage and Arclight Phoenix .
- Dredge: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Bloodghast and Narcomoeba (if opp has multiple Prized Amalgam in the graveyard) or Prized Amalgam (if there's only one). Often good vs. triggers of Creeping Chill and Stinkweed Imp , and activated ability of Shriekhorn .
- Tron: Often game-changing vs. -X of Ugin, the Spirit Dragon or activated ability of Oblivion Stone . Often good vs. triggers of Wurmcoil Engine , Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , activated ability of Walking Ballista , Expedition Map , and Relic of Progenitus , and -3 of Karn Liberated .
- Humans: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Kitesail Freebooter , Meddling Mage , Phantasmal Image , and Reflector Mage , and activated ability of Aether Vial . Often good vs. triggers of Champion of the Parish , Noble Hierarch , and Thalia's Lieutenant (plus Anafenza, the Foremost , Deputy of Detention , Kambal, Consul of Allocation , and Sin Collector , if they have them).
- UW Control: Often game-changing vs. actived ability of Celestial Colonnade . Often good vs. +1 (since they're tapped out the next turn) and -3 of Teferi, Hero of Dominaria , and 0 of Jace, the Mind Sculptor (if we think they have a Terminus ).
- Burn: Often good vs. trigger of Monastery Swiftspear and Eidolon of the Great Revel , and activated ability of Grim Lavamancer .
- Hardened Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager and trigger of Hangarback Walker , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. triggered ability of Arcbound Worker , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Steel Overseer , Welding Jar , Animation Module , Throne of Geth , and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Grixis Shadow: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Snapcaster Mage or activated ability of Mishra's Bauble .
- Amulet Titan: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Primeval Titan . Often good vs. trigger of Amulet of Vigor , Trinket Mage and Bojuka Bog , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Engineered Explosives , Gemstone Mine , Ghost Quarter , Slayers' Stronghold , and Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion .
- RG Rock: Often game-changing vs. +1 and -2 of Liliana of the Veil , +1 and -2 of Liliana, the Last Hope . Often good vs. triggered and activated abilities of Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet , triggered abilites of Tireless Tracker , and activated ability of Scavenging Ooze , Hissing Quagmire , and Treetop Village .
- Whir Prison: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Bottled Cloister and activated ability of Engineered Explosives , Mishra's Bauble , Tormod's Crypt , Welding Jar , and Inventors' Fair .
- Old-school Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager , Equip of Cranial Plating , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. trigger of Signal Pest and activated ability of Welding Jar and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Ad Nauseum: Meh. Perhaps good vs. activated ability of Simian Spirit Guide .
- Spirits: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Phantasmal Image , Reflector Mage , and Spell Queller , and activated ability of Mausoleum Wanderer and Aether Vial . Often good vs. trigger of Mausoleum Wanderer , Noble Hierarch , Rattlechains , Geist of Saint Traft , and Deputy of Detention , and activated ability of Selfless Spirit .
All that said, it's clear that in many cases a 2-mana counterspell (e.g., Negate or Mana Leak ) is better than a 2-mana stifle effect ... certainly UW Control has found that to be the case! What's not clear to me yet is if that's the case in UG Control as well ...
3 weeks ago
Won a 5-player free-for-all game on Sunday. Won the die roll and kept a hand with Burgeoning which combined with Ancient Tomb to power out, with Negate backup, turn 2 Toothy, turn 3 Increasing Savagery , turn 4 Phantasmal Image the Toothy, drawing 7. Once this ball got rolling and people recognized me as the overwhelming threat, it was too late. Pir boosted a Garruk, Primal Hunter , and with a Chasm Skulker in play, Garruk’s -3 drew 17 cards and put 68 power onto the board. An opponent went to Spires of Orazca the Phantasmal Image clone of Toothy (attacking an opponent who had already rage-scooped), which triggered the disillusion and drew 50 more cards. With fewer than 10 cards left in my deck at that point, I had more than enough protection for the 140+ power Chasm Skulker to get the job done itself. For whatever reason, the game had a cash prize too, which I don’t think will happen again, but was a nice bonus for converting that explosive start.
4 weeks ago
Phantasmal Image occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.17%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%