|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Aether Revolt (AER)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Whir of Invention
Improvise (Your artifacts can help cast this spell. Each artifact you tap after you're done activating mana abilities pays for .)
Search your library for an artifact card with converted mana cost X or less, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (29)||EdenGardenz , DHermos , unnaturalelementals , IRNMN , Crimson6 , Borg0th , jrschnoebelen , EnividWodahs , Nemesis , Spinalripper , DarkMagician , frederiklw , mziter501 , philktoken8998 , Vergil_Redgrail , thetechzombie , KB2187 , ecurps , VGJustice , dolphinsgrubb , pskinn01 , HR19 , golgarigirl , Vasbear1 , firemind12 , rockleemyhero , Lucretian , brokendwarf , joshw335|
|Want (5)||Turtlelover73 , DrPopular , sonnet666 , Jose_Arrogantio , GeminiSpartanX|
Whir of Invention Discussion
5 hours ago
While you have a solid base, I would recommend some changes. Some of the clone/steal affects like Clever Impersonator and Phantasmal Image, Beguiler of Wills, Annex, Roil Elemental, ect, are just expensive and don't exactly contribute towards your core strategy. I would replace those with Foundry Inspector, Palladium Myr, Padeem, Consul of Innovation, Unwinding Clock, Shimmer Myr, Whir of Invention, Paradox Engine, Treasure Mage, and Trophy Mage. Cards that let you take advantage of idle artifacts like Clock of Omens are fantastic, meanwhile I think Disallow and Spell Crumple are way too expensive for a counterspell. Mind Control, Persuasion, and Control Magic are just straight up bad cards, and Part the Waterveil doesn't exactly belong here either. Copy Artifact is great, but I think for the price Mirage Mirror is better. Lands are also important in an artifact deck, and so I would recommend, Expedition Map, Buried Ruin, Urza's Tower, Urza's Mine, and Urza's Power Plant. Finally, your commander is expensive, so Swiftfoot Boots and Lightning Greaves are a must, plus they are artifacts.
12 hours ago
Lantern is what I like to call a meta deck.. In that it'll always be relevant unless the meta is inundated with artifact hate. My particular LGS is Boros Burn heavy and Eldrazi (all variants) heavy, but I know this deck can handle its own at almost every establishment.. You just have to be able to deal with the salt from other players.
My sideboard choices:
2x Ghirapur AEther Grid - This is a common component in classic Lantern decks as an alt wincon
1x Grafdigger's Cage - For decks that rely upon reanimation or playing cards out of their graveyards
2x Pithing Needle - This is a mainboard card in just about every other Lantern deck, it's very useful for shutting down trouble cards like planeswalkers
2x Surgical Extraction - For trading in to kill off known combo decks
1x Thoughtseize - For trading in and out hand disruption cards
2x Welding Jar - For decks that have a lot of artifact hate
4x Whir of Invention - Trade this in to convert this deck to the Whir version of Lantern.. Trade out all of the extra blue cards in the mainboard for these four.
3 days ago
play 4 mox opals and bauble isn't that great without Whir of Invention
5 days ago
More Tezzeret! The card does everything you want the deck to do, it digs for combo pieces and his -4 is another win condition.
Whir of Invention is the Chord of Calling for this deck and is a really nice instant speed tutor.
You could consider other artifact lock pieces as well like Ensnaring Bridge
6 days ago
Hey I've been playing Kess, Dissident Mage since she was released and I love her. Some simple changes you could make to your deck are as follows-
- Kess, Dissident Mage loves instants and sorceries more than creatures, she especially loves Tutors and "cantrip's" (spells that do an effect and then replace themselves) since she can cast them twice they become card advantage. You have many cheap options I would add Gitaxian Probe, Ponder, Preordain, Impulse, Opt and maybe Serum Visions and Brainstorm for cantrips and Gamble, Dark Petition possibly Merchant Scroll, Beseech the Queen and Mystical Tutor for tutors. The cantrips will also help you hit early land drops.
- Your mana curve is pretty scary for a deck with only 29 lands you need to take that down a bit or add more lands probably do both. Decks with 29 lands run all the cantrips and have a average CMC of around 2 not 3.5
- You have Windfall how about a Notion Thief? Its quite powerful when flashed in in response to someones draw spell.
- The dragon theme doesnt make any sense and is very counter intuitive to what your deck is trying to do. You should probably cut all the dragons and dragon related spells.
- My favorite win condition for Kess, Dissident Mage is using Aetherflux Reservoir and Isochron Scepter with Dramatic Reversal to cast infinite spells and gain infinite life. If you went that rout adding Fabricate, Muddle the Mixture maybe Shred Memory and Whir of Invention would probably be a good idea.
- I think you could also probably cut The Locust God, Skullclamp and Unstable Obelisk instead of those add Dimir Signet and hopefully Talisman of Indulgence, Talisman of Dominance and for draw add cards like Fact or Fiction, Manifold Insights or Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise. You can add Faithless Looting and Frantic Search to preload the graveyard to pay for the last two spells.
- Dark Petition, Dark Ritual and Cabal Ritual are great mana producing spells for Kess, Dissident Mage
your counter magic suite is a little weak you probably want Chain of Vapor, Swan Song, Counterspell, Delay and Dispel along with Negate. take out any counterspell that cost more than 2 mana.
- Baral, Chief of Compliance is super good at reducing the cost of your spells as well. With him add Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast depending on meta.
- These changes will make you weaker to creatures run Reality Shift, Snap, Rapid Hybridization, Fire Covenant and Earthquake
1 week ago
Cool deck, I have some suggestions though!
I don't know if your budget allows it, but Blightsteel Colossus is usually better than Darksteel Colossus. Also, Lightning Greaves would help your plan a lot, since it gives haste to both Kuldotha Forgemaster and the creature you cheat into play.
Artificer's Intuition seems underpowered in your deck, why not run Trinket Mage, Whir of Invention or Thirst for Knowledge instead?
I get that you benefit from having cheap artifacts in play, but is Ornithopter really the best choice? Welding Jar offers more utility, unless you desperately need a blocker.
As far as I can see, Animation Module only interacts with the four modular creatures in your deck. I think you either need a lot more synergy to make the Module worthwile (somewhere around 15-20 cards with counters), or you should cut it.
1 week ago
Are you using Garza Zol, Plague Queen for any reason? The new legendary Inalla, Archmage Ritualist is pretty easy to get right now, and taps for effects(and lets you get copies of Trinket Mage and Inspired Sprite to get more draws/artifact search.) Praetor's Grasp is always an amazing card to find something in an opponents deck.
Since you have a combo you want to get out, you might like cards like Whir of Invention, Artificer's Intuition, the more expensive Fabricate to get paradise out, and for getting the Freed from the Real try Drift of Phantasms and Dimir Machinations. You can also run the other transmute's like Dizzy Spell or Clutch of the Undercity etc. to find other things in your deck too.
Racecourse Fury is not especially high on the threat list, so you can have essentially free haste-enable on the cheap.Quicksilver Dagger enables tap+damage+draw a card for cheap. Unscythe, Killer of Kings is a silly card that might find a place.Hematite Talisman and Lapis Lazuli Talisman let you untap other creatures to boot.
I'd lose some of the instant/one-off untaps- they're cheap but only good for one motion, whereas you want to be doing it over and over again. Same with ETB like Breaching Hippocamp. Chain Stasis is fun because you could pay 2 to do it again on another creature, making it 2 - trigger inspired. Tidal Bore can let you get out an extra untap or tap when you're strapped for mana.
Thassa's Ire isn't the most mana-effective option but it's a one-drop that lets you do it over and over again as long as you have mana. You also may want something like Fortuitous Find to bring back things. Recurr is always good! :D