|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology Vol. II (CM2)||None|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Rare|
|Rise of the Eldrazi (ROE)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Tuktuk the Explorer
Legendary Creature — Goblin
When Tuktuk the Explorer dies, create a legendary 5/5 colorless Goblin Golem artifact creature token named Tuktuk the Returned.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (18)||ironax , Lucretian , AlucardZain , pskinn01 , gosora , Swamy , zachi , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , golgarigirl , mziter501 , Nemesis , Friedrice24 , darthnuchi , timmyb , GoldGhost012 , NightLight5454 , geazykagar , silvereh|
Tuktuk the Explorer Discussion
1 week ago
I actually don't run Purphoros, God of the Forge because I'm trying to keep the deck somewhat budget. I did run a purphoros deck before I ran krenko, but both were so strong that they were, honestly, little fun to play in a format that highly values casual play. Also, both Krenko and Purphoros feel a little bit played out -- like Neheb is becoming.
1 month ago
You have a very interesting strategy, because there is a great number of possibilities with the cards you want to use. Here is a few ideas that may help you: (1) Dromoka's Command fits also with Hornet Nest, you could use it if you want to change to a more defensive set. (2) Adding Mogg War Marshal, and more goblin tokens, could make you use Quest for the Goblin Lord which is also a interesting card, and still thinking about goblins you can pick Tuktuk the Explorer or others much more expensive goblins (for expensive i mean money). But, thinking about exploring both tuktuk, and hornet nest damage triger abilities, also brings Boros Charm, which is also awesome with those two you want to use Zada, Hedron Grinder, and Mirrorwing Dragon. (3) Now, 8 cost 4 cards in your deck may be a problem sometimes in your hand, so i really recommend 4x Faithless Looting, removing 4 of your cost 4 cards.
Other idea is that you should think if it would be a more consistent deck if you choose to use two colors instead of 3. If you have patience you can try to create 3 decks, one with red and white, other red and green, and the red, green and white again, just to see how it goes.
And, if you want more cards on maybeboard:
Hope i helped. Feel free to ignore.And thanks for your deck idea, maybe i try it sometime, it's really full of possibilities.
1 month ago
Individual Card Comments:
- Wayfarer's Bauble - Too Slow. Each time you recur it, it still costs 2.
- Contagion Engine How many cards can be affected by proliferate? If low, I'm not sure it is worth it.
- Spine of Ish Sah - Technically it goes to the yard, then the return to hand trigger goes on the stack. Find a way to bring it back to the battlefield before the bounce trigger resolves. Sculpting Steel copying Spine will cause Steel to come back to hand when sacrificed. Very useful.
- Impact Resonance - Really specific damage. I think it removes things after you need them to be removed.
- Unstable Obelisk - Even if you bring it back, it still costs 7 mana to remove something.
- Word of Seizing - Mindslaver is a good card because it is recurrable in your deck. This isn't. There are other gain control cards that are more useful. This and mindslaver both require you to play someone else's deck, which is a gamble whether it is worth it.
- Conjurer's Closet - How many ETB creatures do you have? Is this worth it?
- Alhammarret's Archive, Reliquary Tower, and Thought Vessel - I don't think you have enough draw to really abuse any of these. For the Archive, do you have any lifegain sources?
- Darksteel Colossus - This will never hit the graveyard, so you will always be hard casting it. Not sure if that works with your gameplan. The shuffle effect is a replacement effect, not a trigger so it doesn't use the stack.
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon - Meh, only works well with high CMC artifacts, and most of the time you'll be killing your own stuff.
- Kuldotha Forgemaster - What are you going to tutor for this that will win you the game?
- Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient - Good card, but copying what activated ability will win you the game?
- Scrap Mastery - This card is gold, and is a definite win condition in your deck. Make sure you have a way to preemptively sacrifice all of your creatures/discard your hand/mill yourself for most of your deck before resolving this.
- Unwinding Clock - Good card in this deck, but how many artifacts with tap abilities can you exploit using it?
- Karn, Silver Golem - I would only keep this for any combos associated with it. In a vacuum, he's just a good blocker.
- Skyshaper - Is create for the alpha strike single shot, I've got several big ass creatures or a shitload of tiny ones, but other than to give Blightsteel Colossus evasion, is this card super impactful?
- Phyrexia's Core, and Throne of Geth - I wouldn't consider either of these sacrifice outlets, because they are single use per rotation, and the Core costs mana. If you want sacrifice outlets I'd shoot for Ashnod's Altar, Altar of Dementia, and things that say "Sacrifice a creature:."
- Dormant Volcano - From seeing it in use, seems like you only want to see it really early on.
- Carnage Altar - I know you're in red and draw is at a premium, but 3 mana for a card is not the best.
- Too much Ramp
- Not enough Draw and Removal
- Does the deck work without Daretti? If no, find a way to protect him, or other artifact recursion sources.
- You WinCon category doesn't really have many cards that win you the game, just really impactful cards. Look for combos, or Insurrection like cards, or the dreaded MLD type effects. Basically cards that, if it resolves, win you the game.
- You have a lot of categories with one or two cards in it. I'd clean those up into more general things to get a more clear idea for what you're trying to do.
- You should probably be running more utility lands.
- Think about adding some sacrifice outlets. If this is a recursion/reanimation deck, you need to be able to kill shit when you want to.
- Red is really good at making temporary tokens, specifically artifact tokens, of things. Might be worth looking into.
- I try not to include lands in categories because they aren't abusable enough to be consistent. It gives you false category numbers. If you have 10 draw cards, but 3 are lands, you really don't have enough draw. But that's just my opinion.
- I'd try to find more "to the battlefield" recursion cards, instead of to your hand. Recasting those cards every turn causes mana problems. The "to hand" effects are still good though, just slower.
- Isochron Scepter would be good with some of the spells you have like Scrap Mastery, and Trash for Treasure.
- Tuktuk the Explorer and Feldon of the Third Path go well together, but the fact that the artifact is legendary sucks.
- Turning nonartifact cards into artifacts using effects like Liquimetal Coating is an interesting direction to look into, and there are a few cards that do similar things. Probably several useful combos to do with that. Especially if you ever get the Daretti emblem.
- Do you ever plan on getting a Daretti Emblem? Obviously you would like it, but to you, is it worth dedicating some card slots into cheating out loyalty counters to get him to 10? The problem is that he will very rarely get to 10 through use of his +2 alone. And even with Contagion Engine, people will attack him before he's at 8. Just something to think about. If you get the emblem, you've very likely won the game, so that can definitely be a win condition to pursue.
- "Control" is too ambiguous. Chaos Warp, and Steel Hellkite are removal, and Liquimetal Coating is protection(?).
- Red's draw is usually the looting (draw a card, then discard a card) and pillaging (discard a card, then draw a card) effects. These also aren't great, but using artifact recursion, cards like Mind Stone become very good draw effects if you can recur them every turn/rotation. Other abusable draws are Tamiyo's Journal, and Seer's Sundial. It might suck to give other people cards, but Howling Mine may also be worth it.
- It seems counter-intuitive, but Vandalblast might be useful, especially with Scrap Mastery.
- Are there more cards that let you cheat out artifacts from your hand like Copper Gnomes, if so that sounds like an interesting direction as well. Sneak Attack comes to mind, but
- Pentavus + Blade of the Bloodchief + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite mana.
- Nim Deathmantle + Myr Battlesphere/Pentavus + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite tokens
- Combos dont have to be infinite. If you can find a way to kill and recur Scuttling Doom Engine every turn/rotation, Id consider that a combo. Anything that puts a decent clock on everyone to answer your shit is a combo to me.
3 months ago
I agree that any effect like Act of Treason is what you want, so you can impact the board. Suns_Champion actually has a pretty competitive version of this deck I would suggest looking at. For some broad suggestions, things like Firewing Phoenix or any phoenix, and other creatures that have value you when they die like Tuktuk the Explorer or recursion are good cards that interact well with your commander. Why the focus on the equipment? If you want to go that route I am sure we could find a more suitable commander for you. If you woupd post a limit for what the deck should cost, or any one card could cost that would be a big help. For a simple framework, i tend to use 36 lands (as many sources that tap for all colors you need as possible) 30 or so creatures counting your commander, 6 mana rocks or color fixing cards, 7 board wipes, 7 utility cards, 7 draw spells or tutors, and 7 spot removal cards is a decent starting point
4 months ago
Also I'm not sold on Tuktuk the Explorer but you can play him the Goblin Grenade then he's a 5/5 that you can attack with then Fling if you've go a Guttersnipe and Thermo-Alchemist assuming all of that lands thats 22 damage all but 5 of it direct damage. Still im not completely sold.
7 months ago
Gattison Goblin Piledriver is one of the staples of the deck, it provides enough pressure that it either needs to be removed immediately, or they will suffer a large amount of damage. Tuktuk the Explorer works the best with goblin grenade, or against other creature based decks. It might be worth sideboarding the Goblinslide, but it is overall underwhelming for the purpose of the deck.
7 months ago
Impact Tremors is a 2-drop, btw. and well worth it if you can squeeze it in. With an Impact Tremors out, all your creatures essentially deal double damage. once when they ETB, and once (or more) when they attack. It's good, but it may not be right for every goblins deck. I recommend playtesting 3 or 4 and see if you like it. I would personally remove 2x Goblin Piledriver and 2x Tuktuk the Explorer for it.
you guys might have been thinking of Goblinslide, maybe?