Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Liesa, Forgotten Archangel
Legendary Creature — Angel
Whenever another nontoken creature you control dies (is put into the graveyard from the battlefield), return that card to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step.
If a creature an opponent controls would die, exile it instead.
2 months ago
Kataki, War's Wage would be a good addition with the small amount of artifacts you run.
I'm also fond of layers on layers of protection for myself and my board when I'm playing hatebears. Teferi's Protection, Flawless Maneuver, Sylvan Safekeeper, Mother of Runes, Shalai, Voice of Plenty, Liesa, Forgotten Archangel, and Luminous Broodmoth for board protection. Windborn Muse, Ghostly Prison, Sphere of Safety, Solitary Confinement, etc. for personal protection.
I have 2 different hatebear decks (neither contains red though) if you care to take a look for some ideas. Upvotes on any of my decks are appreciated. Sisay's Hombres -Hatebears (deeper in hatebears theme) and Added Layers of Protection - Tymna & Sidar (more selective with hatebears w/ loads of protection)
5 months ago
Hey, me again! I really like Breena, the Demagogue's premise. I want to build her in the future, since I'm cultivating a combat metagame. But I have some ideas that can make your deck funnier and stronger:
I imagine you're trying to keep the idea of giving gifts to your opponents for them to killing each other, while reaping benefits to you.
One way is to force combat. You might want to put Martial Impetus and Parasitic Impetus back to deflect attacks and get draws off Breena. (Too bad goad is a blue-red thing - come on Wizards, give us on other colors). Otherwise, they buff Breena to hit harder.
Another thing you should consider is protection for your creatures:
- Sejiri Shelter Flip and Malakir Rebirth Flip can be slotted as lands.
- Lightning Greaves, Swiftfoot Boots, Whispersilk Cloak, Darksteel Plate and Hammer of Nazahn are great utility artifacts.
- Timely Ward has flash.
- Dawn Charm doubles as a fog.
- Valorous Stance doubles as a removal spell.
How about protection to you?
- No Mercy, Dread, Michiko Konda, Truth Seeker and Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts deter attackers.
- Koskun Falls is a second Ghostly Prison if you can pay its upkeep cost. Solitary Confinement is even more efficient, as long as you can keep up with its cost.
- No one will mess with you again once you cast Hellish Rebuke. Darien, King of Kjeldor also shows them why attacking you is not advisable.
- If you prefer the way of taxing opponents, Sphere of Safety synergize with your other pillowfort enchantments.
- You run a lot of permanents that might die. How about getting them back with Sun Titan or Emeria Shepherd?
- Mistveil Plains has good synergy with tutors.
- Liesa, Forgotten Archangel also acts as graveyard hate.
About card draw:
- Breena costs 3 mana and it is easy to recast, but you can't rely on your opponents wanting (or being able) to attack each other. Sign in Blood, Night's Whisper, Read the Bones, Treacherous Blessing, War Room and Castle Locthwain can be great options (it is good to lower your life total to trigger Breena). Erebos, God of the Dead can also act as a blocker and life-gain hater.
- Skullclamp is good if you can reliably generate X/1 tokens.
- Syphon Mind is a favorite of mine.
- Mangara, the Diplomat... The name says it all. #bffBreena
- Shadrix Silverquill is not only on-theme, but on-school aswell.
- Endless Atlas and Dread Presence require many basic lands.
- The cards above can replace Ambition's Cost, Ancient Craving and Secret Rendezvous (if they want free cards, may they attack each other).
About your ramp:
- I see you run cards that ramp you if an opponent has more lands than you, a la Knight of the White Orchid. Your Lotus Field is great for setting that up. You might also consider putting Orzhov Basilica back for the same effect.
- Loyal Warhound, Verge Rangers, Weathered Wayfarer, Archaeomancer's Map and Isolated Watchtower also capitalize on opponents ramping. I recommend replacing Boreas Charger (if you can't kill it easily), Scholarship Sponsor (not advisable to give ramp AND card draw to your opponents) and Oreskos Explorer (it is better to get lands on the battlefield instead of on hand, unless it is an unrestricted tutor like Weathered Wayfarer).
- If you ramp using the cards above, you will have a lot of Plains on the battlefield. Emeria, The Sky Ruin is free recursion on a land - enjoy ;-)
- You might also consider Fellwar Stone and Dowsing Dagger Flip as ramp options. Breena has flying, so it is easy to transform the artifact.
Sorry for not commenting on your whole deck. Since I have not played her myself, I could only suggest more general things. I hope the suggestions have inspired you somehow. As always, have fun with the Demagogue!
5 months ago
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you on this! I like your build but I do have a few questions and suggestions. =)
I assume not running Ashnod's Altar and/or Phyrexian Altar is part of the pursuit of making this a 'fair' deck? I think I'd still recommend a few sacrifice outlets like Viscera Seer or maybe Altar of Dementia.
Do you feel like you're getting good value out of Herald's Horn? I used to run Edgewalker and Urza's Incubator in my build but eventually cut them as I didn't feel my creature package had a high enough average CMC to make them worthwhile. If you like the extra card advantage from it then I wonder if Phyrexian Arena would be a better fit in this slot for you?
I kind of disagree with your inclusion of Containment Priest, Athreos, God of Passage & Liesa, Forgotten Archangel, as Orah wants things in your graveyard. And his trigger will cause Containment Priest to exile whatever you return to the battlefield. If you're looking for wipe protection you may get better value out of Faith's Reward or Akroma's Will.
Only other suggestion is more lands! Especially if you're not willing to run the mana Altars. Thirty-two lands is simply too few without significantly more card draw.
I hope I was helpful, and thanks again for checking out my build! =)
5 months ago
I have replaced Ethersworn Adjudicator with Vona, Butcher of Magan, because, while the adjudicator is awesome, Vona's ability can destroy a greater variety of permanents and also does not require mana to use.
I have replaced Divinity of Pride with Liesa, Forgotten Archangel, because the divinity's mana cost was too color-intensive for a three-colored deck and it was little more than a flying beater, whereas Liesa actually has useful abilities.
These changes lowered the average converted mana cost of this deck from 4.10 to 4.06, and also improved the balance of colors within the deck, as well.
5 months ago
I am planning to replace the copy of Divinity of Pride in my Sen Triplets EDH deck with either Liesa, Forgotten Archangel or Ravos, Soultender, but I am not certain which of creatures I should choose.
Ravos makes my other creatures more powerful, but a 2/2 for five mana is rarely ever a good bargain, but he can also reanimate creatures that were in my graveyard before he was summoned. Liesa, however, does not require me to wait until my next turn to recover my creatures, can potentially recover multiple creatures per turn, can also disrupt my opponent's strategies, and has higher power and toughness.
What does everyone else say about this? Between Liesa and Ravos, which creature do you prefer?
6 months ago
I understand that the triggered ability will still return all of my other creatures to my hand at the end step. But what about the replacement effect? If Liesa, Forgotten Archangel is on the battlefield and someone casts a Wrath of God, will my opponents’ creatures still see the replacement effect when they die and instead be exiled, or does it work differently because it’s not a triggered ability?
7 months ago
i would just add cards like Dictate of Erebos to the current suggestions to take advantage of Liesa, Forgotten Archangel secondary ability forcing opponents to exile creatures when you sacrifice Shadowborn Apostles.
7 months ago
This is a very nice Kaalia of the Vast build. Quite possibly one of the best I've seen on the site actually. Well done. I notice quite a few similarities with my own build Fear, Faith, and Fury. I think the only difference really being mine is possibly a bit more defensive while yours is a bit more offensive.
I played a game last night where I was able to steal an opponents Bolas's Citadel with my Hellkite Tyrant and then proceeded to win the game with it because I already had my own Necropotence in play. Great combo those two. Now begins the painstaking process of deciding what to cut from my list to add a Bolas's Citadel.
A couple cards you're running I've been wanting to playtest myself (Liesa, Forgotten Archangel / Lyra Dawnbringer / Sower of Discord / Utvara Hellkite) how's your experience been with these? Have you found them to be worth a slot in the deck?
Now some recommendations if I may... you seem to be running quite a few cards that will protect Kaalia of the Vast, but one vital one your missing is Robe of Stars. This is essentially a repeatable Teferi's Protection specially for your commander, and with the amount of ramp cards you have, shouldn't ever be an issue to activate. Seems like you may be somewhat lacking in card draw (personal preference probably, I tend to run more than most ppl), but some additions you might like Harvester of Souls / Indulgent Tormentor / Syphon Mind / The Immortal Sun. I also noticed in a previous comment you removed some extra combat spells, but some nice extra combat on a stick would come in the form of Scourge of the Throne.
Apologies for the long comment, this is just one of my all time favorite commanders, so I get excited whenever I see another great list. Again, very well done. Cheers