At end of turn, each player who tapped a land for mana this turn sacrifices a land. If a Plains is sacrificed this way, Desolation deals 2 damage to that Plains's controller.
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
3 months ago
I think I saw this deck in How To Win Friends And Influence People, listed under what NOT to do.
4 months ago
In making my Sygg, Tollfolk and Governor-Goddess Ephara Decks, I became very interested in turn-related effects, and that inspire this card, as well as Klothys, God of Destiny, who switches the way usually work, whereas most Gruul cards use green's might to accomplish red's free spirit, She uses Red's fury to express nature's law which green cares about.
Based on (Gerðr)[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ger%C3%B0r] in Kaldheim.
Khyrteh, Goddess of Polar Winter
Legendary Snow Creature - God
Protection from instants
You may cast Khyrteh, Goddess of Polar Winter
Whenever a player casts a spell at a time they couldn't cast a sorcery, that player loses 5 life.
At the beginning of your endstep, if you cast no spells this turn, search your library for a card, then shuffle your library and put that card on top of it and you gain 5 life.
This deck would use Eidolon of Rhetoric, Rule of Law, Curse of Exhaustion, Ethersworn Canonist, Oppression, Uba Mask, Tainted AEther, Desolation, Angelic Arbiter, Nullstone Gargoyle, and Painful Quandary effects to force my opponents to make difficult decisions. Bloodchief Ascension, Strionic Resonator, etc. would also give you more advantage from this ability.
Tax effects, like Thorn of Amethyst, Sphere of Resistance, Trinisphere, Lodestone Golem, Trinisphere, Nether Void, Glowrider, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Aura of Silence, Spelltithe Enforcer, Chancellor of the Annex and Feroz's Ban
Decree of Pain, Decree of Justice, Astral Drift, Death Pulse, Dirge of Dread, Eternal Dragon, Gempalm Avenger, Gempalm Polluter, Renewed Faith, Stir the Sands, Sunfire Balm and Abandoned Sarcophagus & Archfiend of Ifnir, also Oketra's Attendant, Undead Gladiator, Bloodsoaked Champion, Dread Wanderer, Nether Spirit, Nether Traitor, Reassembling Skeleton, Bloodghast, Angel of Sanctions,Anointer Priest, Sacred Cat, Dark Depths, Thespian's Stage, Shambling Vent, etc. to avoid 'casting' spells.
grand arbiter synergizes well... yeah...
I'm a stax player who got into the deck because of Death and Taxes, especially Mother of Runes, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben (Her printing got me into standard/formal play), Gaddock Teeg, and Iona, Shield of Emeria.
I really just made a card I wish existed...
I'd like to see another Kaldheim God!
4 months ago
Field of the Dead feels like a slam dunk in here.
Valakut doesn't have that many hits given your 8 mountains (including if Thespian stage is copying a mountain). Obviously this changes if you're running Dryad of the Ilysian Grove, but I think you'll still want more nonbasic land searching with Expedition Map or maybe even Tempt with Discovery to find those pieces.
10 months ago
This is a somewhat strange request. The interaction between Dakmor Salvage and The Gitrog Monster is extremely strong, and very cheap monetarily. You should consider running a couple dredge cards for value anyways, as hitting 2-3 extra draws off a dredge is an easy and once again cheap monetarily way to get ahead in card advantage.
To humor you though, here's what I'd probably run.
- The full suite of 1 drop mana dorks Arbor Elf Llanowar Elves Fyndhorn Elves Birds of Paradise etc. etc. and some big dorks like Priest of Titania
- Cards that let me put extra lands into play for more landfall triggers Sakura-Tribe Scout Skyshroud Ranger Azusa, Lost but Seeking Explore Exploration Burgeoning maybe even Walking Atlas
- Cards that let me turn lands into effects or otherwise graveyard the lands Sylvan Safekeeper Constant Mists Crop Rotation Elvish Reclaimer Edge of Autumn Lotus Field Forbidden Ritual Reprocess Harrow
- Cards that love lands entering battlefield or graveyard Terravore Titania, Protector of Argoth Avenger of Zendikar Rampaging Baloths Undergrowth Champion Lotus Cobra
- Symmetrical black land hate cards that I can break parity on with Gitrog draws and recursion Smallpox Pox Death Cloud Desolation
- Recursion effects for all these land sacs Life from the Loam Groundskeeper Crucible of Worlds Ramunap Excavator
- Cards that go with my board hate subtheme here Torment of Hailfire Oppression Necrogen Mists Bottomless Pit Bane of Progress Back to Nature Black Sun's Zenith Damnation Root Maze Caustic Caterpillar
- Finishers if you don't want to combo, like Beastmaster Ascension Genesis Wave Craterhoof Behemoth Overrun Overwhelming Stampede
And from there, round it out with some efficient early game beaters, some spot removal, land ramp, and a bit of card draw.
11 months ago
There's this nifty little card named Desolation . I think it could be fun ;).
1 year ago
multimedia honestly, for mana disruption, I'd go for Mana Vortex , the Bitterblossom / Contamination line, or even Desolation on a budget before Overburden or Mana Breach , otherwise, I'd also recommend Necromancy for reanimation, having 'flash' is pretty good, even if you sacrifice it.
1 year ago
DrukenReaps That's true. I agree that it's at least 5 snakes, if not more if Ammit Eternal survives by my turn, making it possibly a few more, compared to the guaranteed 3 from Shambling Swarm . I would say that at least Shambling allows for removal for a X/1, X/2, X/3 on the board, AND, making 3 snakes. But I will admit that it's a top pick for cutting. Especially when I found out Desolation exists, heh. Possibly Gate to Phyrexia if I come across a lot of artifacts.
1 year ago
willis1234 so there I was, minding my own business looking at Stax cards for a deck idea, because I'm such a great player, and I find out Desolation is a thing. Black land removal of 1 per turn? More if player's cast on each other's turns? I don't know how I never heard of it. Thought of your deck since I was just here.