|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Rare|
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition (MM3)||Rare|
|Shards of Alara (ALA)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Dragon
When Broodmate Dragon enters the battlefield, create a 4/4 red Dragon creature token with flying.
Broodmate Dragon Discussion
1 month ago
- Well, 5 fetchlands is too low to be reliable, I'd say 7-8 is a good starting point but grave hate is enough to run Deathrite Shaman and for other dorks Noble Hierarch is a good fixing but for me it's not worth that much money. In Modern it might be since it won me many games while I was plaing infect but here... better Llanowar Elves for 40 bucks? I pass...
- Bloom Tender is indeed fragile, that's the weakness of mana dorks but I use him for ramp/fixing since it can reliably hit 2+ mana without much effort. Until I started to use proxies I ran Sylvan Caryatid - 0/3 body with hexproof might be good enough for you then.
- Verix might be enough if it's kicked but I'm still not convinced since applying the same logic Broodmate Dragon is 3 mana for 2 bodies - too much setup IMHO, I'd prefer my Dragons to work their abilites on their own and for cheap. Maybe I'll try it later but for now I feel like I have too much 3 CMC spells already.
- Hellkite Tyrant is only one card and you don't have guaranted draw of it besides tutors (which probably should be more in our decklists but I don't have idea what should be cut). Also things like Trinisphere should die because no matter who controls it, they still cripple us. And being targeted removal with option of blowout is flexible enough for me.
- About Mana Vault I might be biased a little since it lead to some explosive early game turns for me, where Urza's Incubator would only durdle me for 3 turns. That's true, without ways to untap it that upkeep cost is painful but sometimes I've experienced that much ramp so losing was like nothing.
- For Expedition Map it's comparison game - is it better to have basic land on board or next land drop being any land you want? For me it's the latter and sometimes it took me out from crappy hands since we need 3 mana at the very least.
- Updates are welcome and since I upvoted your list I'm already subscribed to any change you post so I'll be notified and more than happy to check out what you've changed.
1 month ago
Hello, first things first I must thank you for reaching out to me. Recently I got sick and tired of more casual Ur-Dragon decks and I'm very glad that someone out there also looks for ways to make it more optimized.
So let's start the analysis, creatures first:
- I feel like this deck would use more dorks like Bloom Tender and Deathrite Shaman - this brings total of non-Dragon creatures to 5 but they all have CMC 1-4 and very clear purpose as they ramp and provide other useful abilities like grave hate, trample or more than 1 mana. I perfectly understand hesitation when it comes to Bloom Tender because of it's high price but Deathrite Shaman is pure value so it gets banned everywhere, which combined with recent reprint makes it very affordable.
- Verix Bladewing - I feel like this dragon is a trap. It tempts you with 3 CMC but brings nothing more than a quasi-vanilla 4/4 with Flying and when kicked is nothing more than 1 mana more expensive Broodmate Dragon so...
In case of Broodmate... I don't think someone would use spell like this:
- Crucible of Fire - I think it's a "win more" card and sometimes you win without combat so I'd recommend Carpet of Flowers - helps estabilishing early even if it gives only 1 more mana. There are of course times that this enchantment will be useless but the times it's very powerful and helpful really outweigh the negatives so no wonder it's used in many cEDH builds
- I really like the idea of 1 CMC counterspell but how about Stubborn Denial ? Instead of giving someone body to block/sac you have Mana Tithe early (just observe if someone completely taps out) and straight up Negate later since almost every creature in the deck is able to meet that requirement.
- Also I can't recommend enough value of Vandalblast - it's very cheap removal or just artifact wipe and I'm really happy card with this flexibility exists.
- I don't really like the idea of Urza's Incubator since it helps other's cast their Dragons and I just prefer mana rocks that color fix. This might sound contradictory to the idea behind Goreclaw but she is a big body and provides slight buff and trample on top of cost reduction so it all justifies it's inclusion. For mana rock that would help maybe Mana Vault ?
- Speaking of fixing I personally use Expedition Map for this reason and when I'm done fixing I can just tutor for Cavern of Souls or Homeward Path in more control match-ups. Also I don't understand the hype behind Coalition Relic .
- Planeswalkers tend to die fast so I evaluate them as modal spells and Sarkhan Unbroken is not very impressive:
- So to the above point I'd just go for Sarkhan Vol , which has haste or Act of Treason modes or Sarkhan the Mad to just kill someone with dragons by combat without combat (like some kind of Sun Tzu xD) and if it survives for another turn then draw off of it or get token.
- Also I'm thinking about running Living Death - what are your thoughts?
And that's probably it from me, let me know what you think about these.
2 months ago
Out: - Citadel Siege - Crucible of Fire - Dragon Breath - Dragon Fangs - Dragon Scales - Dragon Shadow - Fervent Charge - Mighty Emergence - Sarkhan's Unsealing - Triumph of Ferocity - Atarka Monument - Dragon's Hoard - Dromoka Monument - Kolaghan Monument - Ojutai Monument - Silumgar Monument - Response / Resurgence - Akoum Hellkite - Bone Dragon - Dromoka, the Eternal - Flameblast Dragon - Foe-Razer Regent - Furyborn Hellkite - Hoarding Dragon - Jugan, the Rising Star - Mana-Charged Dragon - Nicol Bolas - Shieldhide Dragon - Azorius Chancery - Gruul Turf - Izzet Boilerworks - Orzhov Basilica - Rakdos Carnarium - Simic Growth Chamber
Replacement Options - Atarka, World Render - Boneyard Scourge - Broodmate Dragon - Darigaaz Reincarnated - Dragonlord Kolaghan - Harbinger of the Hunt - Hellkite Tyrant - Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund - Kokusho, the Evening Star - Nesting Dragon - Rith, the Awakener - Ryusei, the Falling Star - Scourge of the Throne - Utvara Hellkite - Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire - Skyshroud Claim - Nissa's Pilgrimage - Farseek - Sol Ring - Smothering Tithe - Dragonspeaker Shaman - Earthquake - Commander's Sphere - Chromatic Lantern - Darksteel Ingot - Wayfarer's Bauble - Fellwar Stone - Armillary Sphere - Burnished Hart - Mirari's Wake - Curse of Opulence - Unclaimed Territory - Exotic Orchard - Mountain s, Swamp s, Forest s, Island s, Plains
2 months ago
3 months ago
By the way, I'm honestly not sure... are you sure the Panharmonicon , Dragon Tempest , Broodmate Dragon combo works that way? As far as I know, when several ETB effects trigger at the same time, it's up to you which one you want to resolve first. Obviously, you'd put the dragons into play first. So shouldn't they all be making 6 damage, for a total of 18? I feel like the damage gets calculated when the ability gets resolved. Really not sure though.
5 months ago
Super would recommend Utvara Hellkite, it was reprinted and is super op!
Lathliss, Dragon Queen also is a new dragon that is very synergistic with dragons, Atarka, World Render gives the team double strike, Bladewing the Risen reanimates them and lets you pump all of them if you put in mana, Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury gives you all of them a ton of damage, Savage Ventmaw lets you get out more dragons too!
Scourge of Valkas is a great dragon if you can cast it for triple red, giving you removal and damage for days! Broodmate Dragon is fine, Steel Hellkite is good removal, Thunderbreak Regent is a nice addition too! Hoard-Smelter Dragon, Bogardan Hellkite, Deathbringer Regent, and Tyrant's Familiar are also good removal in dragon form.
- Regards from SynergyBuild!
6 months ago
Another suggestion, because you are playing Broodmate Dragon, a way to give your dragons haste would probably be beneficial to end the game with a Sarkhan Unbroken's ultimate. Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund I would think would be the best option since you tutor him out with the ultimate, but if not then Dragon's Tempest or Temur Ascendancy. Also, you don't have to win with combat damage here. You could add in Scourge of Valkas to deal that much damage to someone's face. Or, you could add in both to tailor to the situation.
7 months ago
I think you need an Eternal Scourge for this deck.
AH HA! I finally see figured out what this deck is really needing. More punch.
Specifically, this deck should be maximizing the 'creature enters the battlefield' effects.
You are creature one or more token copies of a creature.
Those creatures should not just sit there looking at you like an idiot. Make those token work.
I know that the token come into play tapped and attacking, but by using the ETB triggers those tokens will be doing double duty.
Another thing I noticed while looking at what other people are doing with this deck is the use of +1/+1 counters to power things.
Not sure if that is a direction this deck need to go, so I'm not going to use that too much.
With that new idea in mind, lets look at some swaps.
OUT: Budoka Gardener, Charnelhoard Wurm, Emissary of Grudges, Indulgent Tormentor, Rubblehulk, Scute Mob, Scuttling Doom Engine, Seedborn Muse, Zendikar Incarnate
Not sure about: Loyal Apprentice, Loyal Guardian, Loyal Subordinate, Rampaging Baloths
IN, with no particualr order:
(I'm going to list more cards than we take out so that you have some options to consider.)
Wood Elves, note that the Forest does not have to be a basic Forest. We can fecth a dual or shock land.
Eternal Witness, to get back any other card.
Greenwarden of Murasa, another option for card recursion.
Solemn Simulacrum, land fetch and card draw ine one.
Broodmate Dragon, because dragons.
Garna, the Bloodflame, for more graveyard recursion.
Fleshbag Marauder and/or, Merciless Executioner to help control the board. We can use the sac
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord, fattie with life draining ability.
Mindslicer, so that we can make people's lives suck.
Pilgrim's Eye, land search and flying chump blocker. the poor man's Solemn Simulacrum
Hoarding Dragon, because it never hurts to get useful artifacts.
Netherborn Phalanx, this one has always been good to me in group games. Really punishes the token player.
Puppeteer Clique, so that we can eat and exile opponenet's creatures.
Dire Fleet Daredevil, why not cast other people's spells?
Balustrade Spy, screw your deck.
Avalanche Riders, screw your land.
Sadistic Hypnotist, screw your hand.
Entomber Exarch, give us some nice options. It is a bit weak, but useful and cheap.
Bogardan Hellkite, becuase damage is almost always good. But I'm not sure about the mana cost on this one.
Molten Primordial, let's use our sacrifice outlets on other peoples stuff.
Viscera Seer, so that we can filter the top deck when we sacrifice creatures.
Hornet Queen, tokens making tokens, now with deathtouch.
Feldon of the Third Path, create tokens of creatures that don't get exiled.
Kresh the Bloodbraided or Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper as alternate commanders and good creatures.
Not creatues but need to be in the deck:
Warstorm Surge, let's turn each token into direct damage in addition to it's ETB.
Path of Discovery, why not explore the deck?
Evolutionary Leap, I'm not sure about this one, I like the ability to fetch more creatues from the deck, but we may need more dicard outlets to really make this work for use.
Goblin Bombardment, cheap to cast, multiple uses, may help finish off the last opponent.
So, let me know what you think.
Great. Thanks. Now after helping you with this deck, I'm going to have to finish my jund deck. I'll see if I can get my list up in a couple of days.
Broodmate Dragon occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%