|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Dominaria (DOM)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Legendary Creature — Dragon
Kicker (You may pay an additional as you cast this spell.)
When Verix Bladewing enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, create Karox Bladewing, a legendary 4/4 red Dragon creature token with flying.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (17)||tripledecker , n8dm , MattN7498 , mziter501 , Big-Foot , FuneralofGod , abby315 , Dimarx , samuelproulx , BodhiQL , jecder , philktoken8998 , Daddy1ong1egs13 , , Pumpkinking913 , Thunderbeard , Metaphisyk|
|Want (6)||scynett , Relojazul , Country88 , MxStoneheart , 2OfHearts , kovellen|
Verix Bladewing Discussion
1 week ago
cotlod I took a closer look at the list you are using in Arena, and it has some big changes that make it unbalanced, and therefore not able to be properly tested.
Only 1 Verix Bladewing, which changes how this deck works entirely. There is a reason that I have 4 of that card.
No Shock, which not only takes away one of the means of killing an early Creature, it means you have one less means of lethal damage.
Those changes are SIGNIFICANT. Until they are fixed, you aren't playing my deck.
1 week ago
I would never keep a four land hand.
Verix Bladewing is too useful to make it a one of.
1 week ago
Here is my current take on it :)
3 Lathliss, Dragon Queen 23 Mountain 2 Demanding Dragon 4 Spit Flame 3 Dismissive Pyromancer 3 Sarkhan, Fireblood 4 Lightning Strike 3 Dragon Egg 3 Fight with Fire 3 Raptor Hatchling 3 Sarkhan's Whelp 1 Verix Bladewing 2 Dragon's Hoard 3x Tormenting Voice
2 weeks ago
I took a similar version of this deck (adding 2x Verix Bladewing and 2x Lathliss, Dragon Queen while removing 2x Captain Lannery Storm and 2x draw cards) to my local FNM and finished 2-2. It's a fun deck and being able to swing with Charging Monstrosaur or Skizzik on turn 3 always caught my opponents by surprise.
That being said, there were times I felt I needed more burn, more draw power, or more mana.
I was using 22 lands which was admittedly too low. 23-24 lands seem to be a necessity for this deck.
The other problem I encountered involved Goblin Instigator. I understand his synergy with Skirk Prospector, but it felt I was more often playing Goblin Instigator for two 1/1 blockers, rather than a mana source. Because it only matches with one other card in the deck, I may remove Goblin Instigator entirely.
Thanks for the great deck idea!
2 weeks ago
I've run two tests against the Control deck now.
In the first game it countered or killed all my early Creatures, but it eventually ran out of cards.
I had another one of each in hand, so that REALLY disrupted my plans.
After I drew a couple of lands I kept using the Dismissive Pyromancer to dig through my deck, discarding the Sarkhan, Fireblood and the Lathliss, Dragon Queen first. I was lucky enough to find a Dragon Egg, which I turned into a 2/2 flier by hitting it with Shock. I was now pinging for 3 each combat.
I kept drawing land, which I then kept saccing with Dismissive Pyromancer to draw again. Sometimes I was getting two lands drawn per turn, so I was able to get my mana count up.
I kept pinging with Raptor Hatchling and my 2/2 Dragon.
Eventually my Opponent got a 7/7 Flier on the field. Unfortunately they had to leave it up as a blocker, because they were now on 7 life and I had two 2/2s and a 1/1.
They finally got a 3/1 lifelinker on the field, destroyed my 2/2 flier with Cast Down, and were now able to attack with their 7/7 flier.
Meanwhile I had gotten Verix Bladewing to hand. With 8 mans available to me I was now able to get two 4/4 Dragons on the field.
With my Opponent still on 7 life they had to stop attacking with their 7/7 flier, or I would get 8 flying damage through.
I still had a Raptor Hatchling on the field by this stage so, if they attacked with a 3/1 lifelink Creature we would trade, and I would get a 3/3 Creature out of the deal.
I had Spit Flame in hand, but it wasn't enough to kill the 7/7.
The 7/7 blocked one and died. 4 damage got through, taking my Opponent to 3.
My Opponent attacked with their two 3/1s next go, to get some lifelink. They were now on a more comfortable 9 life.
I had blocked one 3/1 with a Raptor Hatchling (giving me a 3/3) and let the other 3/1 hit me.
I played Sarkhan's Whelp next turn, and hit my Opponent for 4, putting them on 5.
They looked for something twice with Arguel's Blood Fast Flip, but only came up with a land and an Essence Scatter. They were now on 1 and could choose to Transform Arguel's Blood Fast Flip, but they could only get up to 4 life, and I would hit them for more than that with my Creatures.
On my last turn I hit with Sarkhan's Whelp for lethal.
Of course this test run isn't a perfect indicator of how the two decks would face off in a tournament.
It just gives an idea of possible paths to victory or defeat.
I have changed how I test decks these days. My deck must beat the majority of other decks twice, with no Sideboarding.
I was happy to see that my deck could win, even with some key pieces removed.
Dismissive Pyromancer is what saved the day, from being able to dig through my deck for answers.
It also shows why Verix Bladewing is 4 of in this deck.
2 weeks ago
+4 Runaway Steam-Kin this card gets big very quick, expecially in a monored build like this, helps put pressure on the board, and if its gonna be removed, sacrifice it for some more burn spells! Alternitavely you can channel that energy into...
+2 Banefire ! What a great source of burn, and mana sink for the previous card, it will help you close out games after turn 4-5 for you! Expecially with the 'cant be countered' bit. I'd drop... 2 Warlord's Fury. Were you playing it for the draw, if so maybe look into Rile?
Have you considered Fight with Fire for burning large creatures or fliers, Tormenting Voice for some deck filter and draw, pitch your jump-start cards to this!, Detection Tower a land that you might find useful since it looks like you want to be burning your opponent directly, or hexproof creatures or things like Shalai, Voice of Plenty , Verix Bladewing to close out a game and having a big ol dragon, and even better later game if you get that far. Finally Ghitu Chronicler for some recursion and is a wizard too!
If you get some time, i'd really really appreciate some feedback on my deck; Song of the Conclave (Tokens)
1 month ago
Thanks for the feedback clayperce!
- I've actually looked into adding one of the Sarkhan planeswalkers to the deck since he's a bit of a dragon manic. But I'm currently looking at Sarkhan, Dragonsoul from the M19 planeswalker decks. It feels better to buy a complete deck with a planeswalker in it than buying a single card for the same price.
- Taurean Mauler looks amazing and I'm definitely going to replace Dragon Egg with it. Since Taurean Mauler is every creature type should it still trigger Dragon Tempest and benefit from Dragonlord's Servant right?
- I've looked over these lands in the past but I've refrained from adding them to the deck due to their price tag. I actually have a private "deck/card list" here on Tappedout that contains cards I've looked at in the past and liked, but not added to a deck for one reason or another and the lands you suggested are saved in that list. Although Game Trail wasn't that expensive so I'll consider adding a few of those. Temple of Abandon would probably be better than Timber Gorge if nothing else.
- I've been meaning to add some kind of legendary dragon to the deck but like you say I'm not sure either what I would take out. Although I think I would prefer Lathliss, Dragon Queen over Verix Bladewing as it would combo nicely with my favourite, Archwing Dragon.
Thanks again for the feedback and suggestions!
1 month ago
This deck looks really fun! A few quick thoughts:
- It'll wreck your budget, but Sarkhan, Fireblood is really good.
- IMO, Taurean Mauler is the best 3-drop Dragon in Modern.
- Since Evolving Wilds and Timber Gorge always enter tapped, they're pretty meh. If budget allows, upgrading to Game Trail or Karplusan Forest would make the deck run much more smoothly. Cinder Glade isn't as good, but would still be better than Wilds or Gorge. Alternately, you could save for January, when Ravnica Allegiance comes out with a (much less expensive) Stomping Ground reprint.
- Have you looked at Verix Bladewing? Not sure what I'd take out for them, but I like them in a Dragon Tempest deck, because the Kicker cost acts as "mana-flooded insurance".
Good luck (and good skill) with the deck!