All Things Pummeler
Posted on May 29, 2017, 10:34 a.m. by clayperce
If you want to talk about Electrostatic Pummeler in Standard, you're in the right place!
Please feel free to post your ideas, your decks, and your questions. You may want to set up a separate thread as well, in the Standard Deck Help forum.
Please feel free to post your decks in large format. Here's the syntax ... just copy-and-paste, replacing the "the-return-of-steel-cannon-pummeler-akh" part with the "slug name" from your deck's URL:
Please let me know if I'm missing any!
- Michael Strianese (Top 8 at SCG Invitational Roanoke, 6/30) ... of note, this is a Temur build
- Ins0mn1q (5-0 Competitive League, 6/27)
- WilliamRegal (Top 16 of 107 players at MTGO Standard Champs, 6/25)
- Kommy (5-0 Competitive League, 6/22)
- Arjan Van Leewun (MTGTop8 The Decks to Beat - June 17, 6/18)
- Upumpa89 (5-0 Competitive League, 6/12)
- Alan194 (5-0 Competitive League, 6/10)
- WilliamRegal (5-0 Competitive League, 6/10)
- Jokelamb (5-0 Competitive League, 6/9)
- Danilo88 (5-0 Competitive League, 6/5)
- Mitchell Edwards' RG Pummeler (Top 16 GP Omaha) (Top 16 of 832 players at GP Omaha, 6/4)
- Arjan Van Leeuwen's RG Pummeler (Top 4 GP Amst) (Top 4 of 1,170 players at GP Amsterdam, 6/4)
- Wee Pang Ming's RG Pummeler (Top 4 GP Manilla) (Top 4 of 757 at GP Manilla, 6/4)
- Cinnen (5-0 Competitive League, 6/3) ... of note, this is a Temur build
- Bbmmww750 (Top 8 of 79 at MTGO PTQ, 6/2) ... of note, this is a Temur build
- Jarv1313 (5-0 Competitive League, 6/2)
- Poporin (2x 5-0 Competitive League, 6/1)
- BSWeitz (5-0 Competitive League, 5/30)
- Edhelas (5-0 Competitive League, 5/30)
- _sameold (Top 32 of 120 at MTGO PTQ, 5/29)
- Lowlandwizards (5-0 Competitive League, 5/28)
- Namkrew___Lacsap (5-0 Competitive League, 5/28)
- lgarrett (5-0 Competitive League, 5/27)
- Rorix825 (5-0 Competitive League, 5/27)
- Namkrew___Lacsap (5-0 Competitive League, 5/26)
- James_Zhi (5-0 Competitive League, 5/24)
We look forward to reading your comments and looking at your decks! Good luck (and good skill) on your builds!
P.S. If you just want to lurk, that's fine. Please hit the Subscribe button below the comment window, or just ...
To get this conversation going, here's my approach:
SCORE: 7 | 6 COMMENTS | 273 VIEWS | IN 3 FOLDERS
Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions!
May 29, 2017 10:36 a.m.
FYI, there's an active discussion over at r/spikes: Competitive Electrostatic Pummeler? Really?!?
May 31, 2017 11:40 a.m.
Personally i love pummeler. But I dont know if he has real meta potential or not yet. I wonder if hes just unexpected for most people and flies under the radar just enough to surprise a win. I don't mean for local FNM, clearly pummeler has game there. Im talking about against a room full or pros with meta decks in hand. I hope he does, but i don't know yet.
Heres my version.
May 31, 2017 5:35 p.m.
Well thats not my decklist. Lol. Admin delete that please
May 31, 2017 5:58 p.m.
Change the name and see if that works.
SCORE: 2 | 2 COMMENTS | 502 VIEWS | IN 2 FOLDERS
May 31, 2017 6:07 p.m.
I've got a janky build that tries some new things. I never got on the Pummeler bandwagon in Kaladesh, and none of my friends played it either so I really don't have much exposure to it. Here's my take that has some familiar faces and some real oddities.
SCORE: 1 | 12 VIEWS
I consider this build "experimental" so feel free to hit me up with suggestions. It may never be pro material, but it should put a big check in the boxes for "fun" and "different".
May 31, 2017 9:43 p.m.
Added another 5-0 deck to the OP:
- Poporin (2x on 6/1)
Also MCourtaway, there's a note in the OP about how to post your deck in large format if you want.
June 2, 2017 10:36 a.m. Edited.
Anyone toy'd around with aethersphere harvester in a pummeler deck?
June 2, 2017 12:41 p.m.
This is nowhere near a complete answer, but here's my $0.02:
I've tested Aethersphere Harvester as a 1x in sideboard for the Rx Midrange match-up (basically, anyone running Glorybringer). For me, it worked better than Heart of Kiran but not as well as Skysovereign, Consul Flagship. I love the fact Vehicles give me something to do with Creatures with summoning sickness, and with Rhonas the Indomitable on the rare occaisions I can't turn him on. But I wonder if it may actually be better to just run Glorybringer ...
June 2, 2017 1:02 p.m.
Added another 5-0 deck to the OP:
- Jarv1313 (6/2)
This one is quite a bit different than the rest, and worth a look IMO. E.g., it's got 3x Glorybringer in the 75.
June 2, 2017 2:03 p.m.
June 4, 2017 6:41 a.m.
In case y'all hadn't seen: Pummeler made Top 4 at 2x GPs this weekend!
June 5, 2017 4:44 a.m.
... and Top 16 at another:
June 5, 2017 5 a.m.
June 6, 2017 12:13 p.m.
So I've been thinking about Glorious End in the Pummeler sideboard. The card can actually make sense as an answer to Ulamog. If you have a better answer to Ulamog/Marvel (other than 'out run it'), I'm all ears.
If your opponent plays the Marvel as they should, they will activate the Marvel in response to you declaring attackers with your Pummeler. If they hit an Ulamog, you can respond with Glorious End which will remove both Ulamog's cast trigger and Ulamog the creature from the stack, fully countering it (but also ending your turn). Then your opponent will have their turn to try and regain enough energy for another Marvel spin. On your subsequent turn, you need to finish them off, which this deck should be able to do if you have the Pummeler out.
Glorious End is even better if your opponent activates it during their turn. Then if they hit an Ulamog, you cast Glorious End and go to your turn where you should have an open board to finish them off. This does require you leaving up enough mana, which this deck doesn't do too often.
In both these situations, Glorious End makes sense as you're pretty much hosed if the Ulamog hits the battlefield. I've only successfully Pummeled through an Ulamog on one occasion, and that was holding the optimum pump spells in hand.
June 7, 2017 7:35 p.m.
glorious end is never a bad idea in a fast win deck like pummeler
June 8, 2017 6:21 a.m.
I'm a big fan of Glorious End. I've always looked at it as a ballsy move that makes a statement. Go out swinging on your terms in a hail of gunfire, not because somebody won the Screwlamog lottery.
June 8, 2017 11:41 a.m.
FYI, another RG Pummeler deck went 5-0 in the Competitive Leagues on MTGO!
Jokelamb's list is here.
June 9, 2017 1:53 p.m. Edited.
Hey, glad a post like this exists. Every time I talk about my Pummeler deck people groan and roll their eyes. So, heres my deck:
SCORE: 1 | 1 COMMENT | 42 VIEWS | IN 1 FOLDER
I took a deck that I already liked that I piloted during a budget tournament, the basis of which was $20 and under including sideboard excluding basic lands. I took it to FNM last night and went 2-2, not bad for a budget build so I began work on my masterwork! That masterwork is what you can view if you click on that link above. Its simple, fast and if it fails it fails, but when it wins, it wins big. I hope you all like it! I should mention that it comes just a little bit over $30!
June 10, 2017 9:12 p.m.
June 12, 2017 1:09 p.m.
I don't know about y'all, but with the shift in my meta since the Marvel ban, I've put my Pummeler deck back on the shelf. A world full of Walking Ballista and Flyers is just not a fun world for The Little Robot that Could.
I hope your metas are more forgiving, and I'll see you in HOU Standard!
June 21, 2017 8:04 a.m.
Unfortunately I think you are correct. Control has vanquished the little robot.
June 24, 2017 1:07 p.m.
Actually I've found Control quite beatable, if you can find room for 3x Prowling Serpopard in sideboard. BG Aggro/Mardu Vehicles (incl Ballista) and Temur Energy (Glorybringer/UW Flash (Flyers) though? Ugh.
June 24, 2017 4:06 p.m.
Agreed. I turned mine into a temur energy deck. Pretty great. Hopefully pummeler will come back though.
July 2, 2017 12:40 a.m.
This is one of my Pummeler decks: Black-Green Pummeler.
July 2, 2017 1:24 p.m.
Huh. Close to my g/b energy deck. But u replaced rishkar with pummeler. How's it run?
July 2, 2017 8:56 p.m.
It runs pretty well. As you can see there aren't very many pump spells but the deck generates a lot more energy because of Winding Constrictor so doubles it's power a lot.
July 3, 2017 12:02 p.m.
FYI, I just added four decks to the 'Competitive Pummeler Lists' section in the OP:
- Michael Strianese (Top 8 at SCG Invitational Roanoke, 6/30)
- Ins0mn1q (5-0 Competitive League, 6/27)
- WilliamRegal (Top 16 of 107 players at MTGO Standard Championship, 6/25)
- Kommy (5-0 Competitive League, 6/22)
It appears Pummeler still has some game!
July 5, 2017 1:47 p.m.
I like kommy's the best. I made almost that exact deck. It runs so well. I miss it. I might dump this temur energy deck and bring it back if it doesnt pay off soon. At least the pummeler deck was super fun to play.
July 6, 2017 12:58 a.m.
The biggest problem I have is against a second sun control deck, any tips for going against it.
July 16, 2017 1:04 p.m.
Are you speaking about the New Perspectives/Approach of the Second Sun combo deck? If so, I've played against it a couple times, though never with Pummeler. So please take my theory-crafting here with skepticism! But here are some thoughts:
- New Perspectives is the key, so Instant-speed Enchantment removal is probably the best answer. Which I guess means Appetite for the Unnatural. Or Negate in Temur Pummeler.
- They can't combo off if they're dead. Which means you've got until turn 5 or maybe 6 to kill them. Aggressive mul'ing for a fast hand may actually be the best plan.
- IDK what the deck will look like in HOU Standard of course, but in AKH Standard they usually ran 4x Censor, 4x Sweltering Suns and 4x Haze of Pollen mainboard, and 3x Negate in side. Any of which can just wreck your plans. Of these, I personally think Haze is the most frustrating ... being Hazed after pumping up Pummeler just rots. Insult, Fling, and Dispel (in a Temur build) are all great vs. Haze. Or just drop the Pummelers post-board and add Lathnu Hellion/Glorybringer/beater of choice, and just keep hitting. Eventually they'll run out of Hazes, and every turn they're holding up a Haze is one they're not comboing off :-)
Good luck (and good skill) in the match-up!
July 16, 2017 4:52 p.m. Edited.
Has anyone tried to make a good competitive Jund or Naya pummeler decklist.
July 16, 2017 8 p.m.
Every competitive Pummeler deck so far (i.e., throughout KLD, AER, and AKH Standards) has either been RG or Temur.
July 16, 2017 8:18 p.m. Edited.
In case you hadn't already heard, Dalton Copenhaver piloted his RG Pummeler deck to #14 at SCG Open Cincinatti.
July 16, 2017 8:30 p.m.
And David Jones placed 17th today (Sunday, 16-Jul) with his [GR Pummeler] (http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=114866).
For some reason, my html link markup does not work.
July 16, 2017 8:57 p.m.
Thanks much for the link. Please note that's #17 at SCG Classic Cincinatti though, not the SCG Open.
Here's the link to David Jones G/R Pummeler
July 16, 2017 9:01 p.m.
Is anyone going to add the Samut planeswaker to their R/G Pummeler deck?
July 18, 2017 4:13 p.m.
July 18, 2017 4:34 p.m. Edited.
Is Samut, the Tested a better option than Arlinn Kord? I really like the +2/+2 and haste Arlinn provides, but I can see where Samut's double strike is also nice to have. I play Uncaged Fury in my deck, Pummeler Smash, so the haste gives me an option I'm otherwise lacking. The vigilance isn't necessary for the Pummeler, but it helps if I'm swinging in with one of the other creatures waiting for a Pummeler to appear.
I can see possibly including Samut for rotation-proofing. And her only having a single side makes her more easily managed.
July 18, 2017 7:29 p.m.
July 18, 2017 8:17 p.m.
July 20, 2017 2:03 p.m.
Look at this (http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=115102) and also (http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=115100)
July 24, 2017 3:12 p.m.
I'm intrigued by the inclusion of Vizier of the Menagerie in the first list.