|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Elemental
At the beginning of each upkeep, Magmatic Force deals 3 damage to target creature, player or planeswalker.
Magmatic Force Discussion
1 month ago
I did a gatherer search for black and blue cards that deal damage during each upkeep, and the results are interesting: Most of them dealt with hand size.
- Black Vise
- Ebony Owl Netsuke
- Iron Maiden
- Mask of Intolerance
- Misers' Cage
- Paupers' Cage
- The Rack
- Blood Clock
- Wheel of Torture
- Dark Suspicions
- Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage
- Price of Knowledge
- Stabwhisker the Odious
- Quest for the Nihil Stone
- Shrieking Affliction
There are only 2 unconditional damage artifacts:
And there were two other outliers:
3 months ago
okay, what would you consider your wincon?
Regardless, here are a few suggestions that can probably fit into any build:
Farhaven Elf : etb ramp, good with Riku
Deadeye Navigator : Etb enabler, suuuuuper broken if you have tons of etb effects
Solemn Simulacrum : etb ramp, ltb draw, excellent target for copying
Panharmonicon : if you decide to go the etb route, it's a great enabler.
Urban Evolution : kind of expensive, but does two things really valuable to the deck.
These are all just generic suggestions. I personally have a blast with the deck when it's tuned towards enter the battlefield effects since I get the value immediately with Riku out. Honestly though, these suggestions may be too casual for what you want with the deck.
4 months ago
Hi, I hope that at least some of what i'm going to put here will be useful, and even if you don't use any of my advice then maybe you will be able to see where I am coming from and use the logic to find your own improvements :)
As the previous commenter has suggested the amount of ramp spells that put lands in to play in your deck is a bit to low for a ramp deck especially one that has subthemes of landfall. Typical commander deck building suggestions say that you should have 10 pieces of ramp to tide you into the midgame. This goes for any deck, not just ramp decks. In ramp decks you will want more. At my count you have 12 ramp cards that are reusable (ie, aren't the one shot sacrifice elemntals) this will want to be more really, with a focus on them being ones that put lands in to play. Another of note, is that cards like Zendikar Resurgent don't really count as a ramp slot, as by the time we can cast it, we have a lot of mana already. 'Ramp' cards are ones that you want to see in your opening hand to get you into your game plan faster.
For this reason I would look into replacing some of the creature based ramp and some other low impact cards with this ramp that will get us executing our main game plan faster and better.
These can all be easily replaced with land based ramp spells as they don't get you any further ahead on mana than 1 land, or are one shot abilities when we want to be dropping big things multiple times over multiple turns.
Smokebraider Is unique because it produces 2 mana for only 2 investment, but only if we focus in on elemtals so can be left on a short list to be evaluated. We'll list other potential cuts later when looking at more over all deck evaluation.
The previous commentor has provided a list which at first glance seems to be comprehensive enough to provide some ideas for what to add.
More conventional commander wisdom suggests that you have at least 5 ways to directly interact with your opponents game plan. I personally nearly always play more than this, but you should have at least 5. This direct interaction is preferred to be the targetted simgle response cards that can remove threats in any shape or form. Of note, this removal count is seperate from the count of mass removal. At my count you have Song of the Dryads , the down tick of Domri, Anarch of Bolas and Ingot Chewer as easily accessable removal. Things like the trigger from your commander or things like Magmatic Force are more incedental as you can't rely on them doing what you want when you need it.
Cards that could be added in this slot are many. But it is a good idea to have as many as you can being generic answers to anything, but also you need to make sure that they are ones you can realistically weave into your game plan instead of leaving up those answers at all times. This is mostly a balncing act that is where fine tuning comes in from playing the deck. But potential recommendations for all purpose would be Beast Within and Chaos Warp . After that they become more specific but can be cheaper in mana,
- Nature's Claim
- Domri's Ambush
- Force of Vigor
- Krosan Grip
- Hull Breach
- Broken Bond
- Reclamation Sage
This may seem counterintuitive, seen as you are planning on being the big creature deck that wants the board presence. But sometimes the opponents boards just need answering (Not to mention that you might end up getting a lot of elemental death triggers from Omnath). As such having 2 or 3 creature wraths might be worth trying. And having 2 or 3 artifact and enchantment wraths will be good to have access to aswell. Something you already have so I assume you already know.
Creature wraths to consider in green red include
- Blasphemous Act
- Chandra's Ignition
- Chain Reaction
- Savage Twister - This one is representative of X cost ones that are interesting to try as it gives you the oppertunity of clearing out small creatures while keeping yours alive if you would prefer. Another one that can also be used to finish of players is Rolling Earthquake
You already have the cards for mass removing artifacts and enchantments so I won't bother listing any more.
One of the most common recommendations I have to make to people about their deck is to up the amount of card draw or selection in their decks. There is no point in having sweet cards and synergies in here if we never get to see them! Normally I recommend having 10 ways of drawing cards in your deck, with some of them being repeating and some being one shot. At my count you currently have 7 (Or 8 if you count Praetor's Counsel which can do effectively a similar job), so you are nearly there but I would recommend adding a couple mr just to smooth out the deck running.
- Harmonize is the most obvious recommendation withit being notorious for its colour pie break with not haveing a restriction based on creatures or similar.
- Horn of Greed is universal, but we should be getting more value from it.
- Greater Good is amazing if you keep having big creatures to sacrifice. Thankfully due to our commander triggers, we do!
- Chandra, Flamecaller can cover multiple bases of what we need, it can be counted as both a wrath AND a card draw engine :) IT also even makes elementals (of note, they get exiled at end step instead of dieing so you won't normally get Omnath triggers. Sacrificing them to Greater Good though....... )
- Rishkar's Expertise can be great card draw as you don't need to take a full turn off to refuel, you still get to cast something that costs less, which could be that removal spell or something you needed!
These overview sections are recommendations for generic cards that could go in. From here on, we will be looking at more specific card options, and possible cuts from the existing deck
Now, again as the previous commentor mentioned, there are multiple ways you can take an Omnath deck. My take on them being
- RG Big thing Ramp. No specific synergies in mind except for incidental ones like, I need land to cast my big spells, and this card cards about land. Not a bad deck by any means, just less commander or theme focused.
- Elemental Tribal Ramp. This seems to be closer to what you are currently going for. Similar to the RG ramp deck, just with tribal synergies from elementals
- Landfall / Lands Matter. Here we are focusing on many landfall triggers, and keep cycling our lands round and round to get them. This deck will likke having access to things like Crucible of Worlds and many effects like Exploration
Here, i will suggest some cards for each of them and maybe later on if you want we could look more into one or a mix of these strategies.
- Ruric Thar, the Unbowed This card is very very powerful. Expecially as the decks around you get more and more powerful and wanting to do more combo and storm bsaed strategies.
- Gruul Ragebeast A good way of keeping the board under control when you play your 'large and incharge' creatures
- Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger We have mana, they don't. Enough said really. Just beware that with this creature, sometines the adage If you can't remove the problem, remove the player can be applied to just killing you.
Other than ones recommended here, perhaps a good idea would be to use Gatherer or mtg.wtf to find elementals in your colour. Or cards which reference elementals in your colours, the example in wtf would be this
- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame can rebuy your ramp spells and can make elementals that will die to trigger Omnath.
- Chandra, Awakened Inferno A wrath that doesn't kill elementals and can provide a reasonable clock on the game with her uptick.
- Omnath, Locus of Mana Store mana for a rainy day. Or for hitting your opponents upside the head with it. Both work.
- Parallel Lives Double the tokens, double the elementals, double the damage. We like.
- Tornado Elemental clears out any things like Dragons, or Flying Slivers or similar. Also good at picking of planeswalkers as it has sudo unblockable.
- Liege of the Tangle we can go REALLY all in on making all our lands elementals and meaning that if someone wraths us we can basically kill everyone from Omnath triggers
- Budoka Gardener Ramp early game, big guys late game.
This deck idea might have elements that are closer to a combo deck than the others, but will still mostly be a midrange deck.
- Perilous Forays With your commander out this card is bonkers. But if we are making other elemental tokens too then we can truly get going somewhere
- Crucible of Worlds , Ramunap Excavator , Life from the Loam Allow you to play the lands from your graveyard after we have sacrificed them for effects. Also makes always hitting your lands drops easier if you are playing and sacrificing a fetch land
- Exploration , Azusa, Lost but Seeking , Oracle of Mul Daya all ways to play more lands per turn
- Cavalier of Flame can be card draw and synergizes with lands in graveyard. As well as being an elemental!
- Scapeshift lots of triggers all at once
- Splendid Reclamation if we are sacrificing lands then this gets them all back. Very good after a scapeshift
- Amulet of Vigor makes some of our ramp a lot more effective, while at the same time providing a good combo with Perilous Forays and Omnath, Locus of Rage Of recommendation if you run a lot of land recursion effects then other lands that sacrifice themselves might be worth it. Like Wasteland Strip Mine etc
I won't re-list the cuts recommeneded in the ramp section. I will be evaluating cuts in the assumption that the deck is wanting to be a combination of an elementals ramp deck and a lands value deck. A lot of these recomendations for cuts will have very similar reasonings, which I will elaborate on first to be able to be brief later on. These recommendations will possibly sound rather brutal, however I find that it makes it a lot easier to have too many cards that are on the cutting block rather than not enough.
- Too Slow. If the card takes too many turns to start pulling its weight then it could be replaced with something that does what we need sooner. This is common in cards which have 'at the beginning of your upkeep' effects as they will normally have to wait an entire turn cycle to start doing something. Enters the battlefield triggers or similar things that have an effect the turn you play them are often preferred.
- Too expensive. This should be self explanatory. If the card costs too much mana, especially if the same effect can be achieved for less mana then it should be exmined.
- Doesn't do enough. While the effect might be interesting and maybe something we actually want in the deck, The card just doesn't pull its weight in whatever role it is supposed to be doing
- Doesn't contribute to our game plan This might be a good card, maybe even a great card in other decks. But perhaps the effect just isn't one we need in this deck
- Cytoplast Root-Kin Too slow. Doesn't contribute to our game plan.
- Dragonmaster Outcast Too slow. Doesn't do enough
- Grazing Gladehart Doesn't do enough. While we like landfall triggers. The life gain is small enough to be negligable unless we are massrecycling all lands from our yard multiple times.
- Magmatic Force Too Slow.
- Magmaw Doens't contribute to our game plan / Doesn't Do enough. We can run other sac outlets if we want ways to sacrifice our elementals
- Scute Mob Possibly too slow. But I love me a scute mob so I'm fine with this staying in :D
- Spawnwrithe Doesn't do enough. However this one can stay in if you have found that you realistically get to connect with it at least twice to have four of them
- Tendershoot Dryad Doesn't contribute to our game plan. Though it is very good at gummin gup the board
- Tyrant of Discord Doesn't do enough. However if you change to having some ways to knock your opponents off of lands then the chances of this hitting multiple nonlands go up and its value does too. However there are enough control players where the onlything this will do is destroy a land at random
- Undergrowth Champion Deosn't do enough. It's got all the right keywords but thats about it
- Retreat to Kazandu Doesn't do enough. THe landfall idea is good, but putting 1 counter an a guy once or so a turn isn't worth the slot really
- Sword of the Animist Too Slow. We want this effect, but we aren't attacking multiple times in one turn so there are better effects to get lands from our deck. We don't neccessarily even have than many small creatures to equip this too to get it active early enough for the ramp to be that useful as ramp
- Animist's Awakening As much as i want this spell to ever be good. It's just not really at all.
- Journey of Discovery Too slow. For this to be actual search out ramp you need to entwine it which is then 6 mana. Any of the 4 mana double basics would be better here. Or just Explore type effects that cantrip too.
Turns out there is only slightly too much Nissa. (And not enough Chandra ;) ) All of the Nissas' contribute to our gameplan well except for Nissa, Voice of Zendikar . The general rule of Planeswalkers in commander is to assume that you will only get two activations if you are lucky. So with this one you will at best buff your team a little. Consider Garruk Wildspeaker instead maybe?
Other random Card Recommendations
- Boundless Realms All the rest of our lands from our deck? Yes please
- Sylvan Awakening We do this, then we overrun and nobody will be expecting it
- Genesis Wave As previously mentioned. It's the better Animist's Awakening
- The Mending of Dominaria More mass land recursion.
Well I hope some of this helped at least a little :)
4 months ago
BUMPING REALITY BURNS...
* Aria of Flame : Your opponents won't gain anything most likely, & can be used as constant burn every time you play an Instant/Sorcery, & every time you add more Counters; Every. Last. Bit of them.
* Magmatic Force : A huge Hulking menace that burns on your opponent's turns even.
& Do I have too many X-Burns? Maybe not enough Copying? Lack of Mana Ramp/Card Advantage? Not enough stuff that happens every turn while they are in play? I'm just curious.
I'm still contemplating about my lie about being a , & not realizing my true status... I just wish somebody helped me on...
Commander / EDH*
Is somebody capable of helping me on this? Or is there such an impossibility it's mentally wrong?
4 months ago
CAREFUL, BURN/BUMP QUALITIES ARE IN THE OPPOSITE SPECTRUM OF APBSOLUTE ZERO; REALITY WILL BURN.
@sylvannos: So far, I'm trying all I can to follow your advice, & want your thoughts for 5 cards above this post. I also want to know two things:
How "well" I'm doing on Mono- Burn so far prior to adding Aria of Flame (Nobody's gaining life anyway, so the first part; a downside is effectively useless for all opponents. What a waste of 10 LIFE.) & re-adding Magmatic Force . What to cut to get any closer to 100 cards in your opinion? That, & since I'll never afford a Gauntlet of Might (Sorry, but this could never be a damned lie.). Since I'm trying to best the possibility of even 6+ Players including myself in spite of having no Playgroup at the present time, any alts for such a monsterpiece? Any thoughts on Gauntlet of Power ? It's like Gauntlet of Might , but more, & you choose the color. Better versatility I guess...
Does it seem I have too many X-Burns? Maybe not enough Copying? Lack of Mana Ramp/Card Advantage? Not enough stuff that happens every turn while they are in play? I'm just curious.
I really would like your input on these questions please. In the meanwhile, I have to see what Grixis CMDR I might be...
9 months ago
Game One: regular
Ravenous Slime out, cast Blasphemous Act , killing everything except the slime, then cast Tectonic Break for 7, leaving opponents with 2 and 1 land. (one opponent had already been taken out by a lethal attack from another one). Attack twice with the 58/58 slime for the win
Game Two: star
Died to Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire after three swings with Strider Harness (should have realized it was a three turn kill). Resolved boundless realms for 12 but died before I could use the land. vivicutus killing omnath twice really killed me, plus having no way to kill vivictus. Might need more creature removal. Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire with Helm of the Host really took over the game because me and his other opponent had no creature removal.
Game Three: star
Right opponent had Repercussion and I played Chain Reaction to kill one opponent )dealing 21(=7x3), the mono red player (R op) was down to one land because I played Tectonic Break for three, me and my left hand partner both won because we killed the mutual opponent (and my right hand op and his left hand op were dead)
Game Four: star
Ghalta, Primal Hunger player (my R ally) killed my left ally, then I took my right opponent out after casting Tectonic Break for his four lands. Right op concedes, then ghalta attacks my left opponent and I finish him off with Omnath plus tokens, with Greater Good backup for 9 more sac damage and then Magmatic Force to close it out forsure because he would take 3 his upkeep, the 3 more R ally, then 3 on mine. (we had to finish up quick because the shop was closing). Me and right ally won together.
op: opponent, r: right
star: multiplayer format - TLDR:5 player game, the two people sitting directly on your left and right are your allied (therefore not your opponents, for cards that say that. plus you cannot attack them). The two other people are your opponents and you win if they both die.
9 months ago
Magmatic Force occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%