Archetype of Imagination
Enchantment Creature — Human Wizard
Creatures you control have flying.
Creatures your opponents control lose flying and can't have or gain flying.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Archetype of Imagination occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Archetype of Imagination Discussion
1 month ago
Hey, well done on a budget. Nice Sol Ring and Mutavault promos :)
More flying/unblockable Pirates can help to easier trigger Malcolm and Breaches.
- Departed Deckhand --> Volcanic Dragon
- Spectral Sailor --> Swaggering Corsair
- Siren Stormtamer --> Goblin Trailblazer
- Warkite Marauder --> Captain Vargus Wrath
- Storm Fleet Sprinter --> Littjara Kinseekers
- Zara, Renegade Recruiter --> Maelstrom Colossus
- Archetype of Imagination --> Confiscate
Imagination also makes it so your opponents creatures most likely can't block your creatures because they can't have flying. The only creatures who can block are ones with reach or there's an effect to be able to block creatures with flying.
Sources of repeatable draw when a creature you control does damage or combat damage to a player are good with more flying Pirates.
- Bident of Thassa --> Sisay's Ring
- Reconnaissance Mission --> Dreamstone Hedron
- Tandem Lookout --> Divination
Some Pirates can repeatedly help to clear the way of blockers to do more damage with Breaches and other Pirates.
Any creature you gain control of with Recruiter becomes a Pirate until end of turn. If that creature does damage to an opponent then it will trigger Breaches and Malcolm.
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
I like this deck! I have a version of Arixmethes as well. One of the ways I think you can add some evasion (as it's one of your pointed out weaknesses of the deck) is Archetype of Imagination to give all your creatures flying and take it away from your opponents. Then (hear me out!) I have what seems to be an "anti-synergy" card in my version, Stormtide Leviathan , but this along with either the previously mentioned Archetype or along with Sandals of Abdallah and Phantasmal Terrain (among others if opponent doesn't have an island in play) can give some pretty awesome evasion (also for the other islandwalk creatures in the deck). One other addition I would suggest is Thespian's Stage to not only be able to copy Arixmethes, but, something I will be adding to my deck, if you play Dark Depths and Thespian's Stage is out with it, you can copy Dark Depths, sac the one with counters on it, and the new one you can sac and put the 20/20 black avatar out.
Overall I like this version!!!!
1 month ago
This list is very interesting. Sublime Epiphany is too new for edh rec i think as of this date of posting, so maybe that's why I didn't see it on edh rec. But there are lots of cards on the list that didn't show up in edh rec either. Very interesting. I love data like this. I've got 2 more to go here. The last 2 will be colorless and gold. Come back for those.
2 months ago
AultimusPrime i looked and indeed i definitely did. Tuvasa is a very powerful commander. Also thanks for the feedback, got me to thinking "i need to cut the high cost cards lol. I was using Archetype of Imagination as a pseudo win con, it makes all your creatures unblockable, though it's easily replaceable. Wolfwillow Haven is the enchantment version of a signet, but it also boosts tuvasa... It might only make green, but it's an extra green every single turn. I run Rites of Flourishing because it's actually never let me down, an extra land and initial draw are very decent. Gift of Paradise gone lol. Mystic Remora isnt terrible, but i definitely have enough card draw lol. I like churning through the deck with the enchantress effects, so i put as many of them as i can in the deck
3 months ago
3 months ago
The deck is looking pretty good. I like the creature base you have chosen, there are a couple questionable creatures though. Cloudreader Sphinx seems kind of bad in this deck. If you just want a flying scryer, perhaps Sphinx of Foresight, Prognostic Sphinx, Stormwing Entity, or Siani, Eye of the Storm.
Passwall Adept is just not good enough. its too much of a resource drain. Opt is not helpful in this deck since you immediately draw the card after scrying. Cunning Evasion wont do much good I am thinking since most of your creatures wont be blocked anyway.
In my opinion, you need a few less low CMC cards and a few more high CMC that you can use to get Yuriko damage in. For cuts, I would start by looking at any creatures that cost CMC 2/3 that dont provide value other than being unblockable (Invisible Stalker, Vault Skirge (love that card btw). I would then look at replacing sorceries with instants where possible. Darksteel Pendant and Crystal Ball are not good enough in my opinion and are too much of a resource investment unless there is some sort of artifact strategy I am missing. Dimir Keyrune provides interesting utility but is inefficient. Consider Arcane Signet instead or perhaps even Dark Ritual. Thran Dynamo is fairly efficient for cost to mana provided but it seems most of your mana needs are for color. Key to the City is for yuriko after she is out I assume.. I would probably run Aqueous Form instead because it has a scry effect on attack which is pretty desirable.
Here are some cards to consider in not much particular order:
Chromatic Orrery (high cmc and provides a lot of mana)
Chain of Vapor (way to return a card to hand as well as an opponents card or cards)
Archaeomancer (can get brainstorm back and can be returned to hand with ninjitsu potentially)
Scroll Rack (spendy but so good)
Trickery Charm (does multiple things you want)
Grozoth (requires you to build around it to be worthwhile but can be good)
3 months ago
Hey, saw your forum topic asking for help. Good build on such a low a budget. Realistically to make much improvements you're going to have to be able to spend more than $30 for your deck.
My advice is to lower the mana curve by adding more low CMC Wizards and more low CMC instants and sorceries that draw cards. End the curve with two five drops Wizards: Azami, Lady of Scrolls, Shipwreck Dowser and one six drop Archetype of Imagination. I suggest playing double the amount or more of instants and sorceries than Wizards because technically you don't need other Wizards because Adeliz can pump herself. Still have a strong base of low CMC Wizards, just a smaller one.
Since Adeliz can pump herself and has flying she is really your best win condition doing 21 Commander damage to each opponent. The problem with Adeliz is she doesn't provide card advantage only pump therefore you need a lot of other cards that draw cards to fuel the pump.
Some Wizards can help for card advantage:
- Windrider Wizard: lets you draw each time you cast an instant or sorcery or even a Wizard and he has flying which makes him a threat to attack. If just about every card you cast draws you a card then that's a nice advantage to keep drawing instants/sorceries/Wizards.
- Burning Prophet: repeatable scry is powerful when you want to draw certain cards and not lands or other cards. She can filter away lands so that you draw instants/sorceries/Wizards.
Consider more low CMC Wizards? That way you can establish a Wizard army quicker and get faster benefits from Adeliz with other Wizards. More low CMC flying Wizards can benefit much more from the pump from Adeliz because they can more easily do combat damage to an opponent:
- Siren Stormtamer
- Wingcrafter: way to give a Wizard who doesn't have evasion flying such as Burning Prophet and soulbond can change creatures.
- Faerie Seer
- Kaza, Roil Chaser
- Lightning Stormkin
- Dreadhorde Arcanist
With more low CMC flying Wizards then cards such as Bident of Thassa and Reconnaissance Mission can draw a lot of cards since you draw a card for each creature who does combat damage to a player. This is a way to keep refilling your hand with instants/sorceries by attacking with Wizards even if you don't have instants/sorceries to cast. Flying Wizards are still going to do combat damage to a player and draw cards. Shared Animosity is repeatable pump for each attacking Wizard you control. This repeatable effect is in addition too any pump that Adeliz does.
Izzet has a wealth of good low CMC budget instants/sorceries that draw cards that are staples of Commander:
- Preordain, Serum Visions, Ponder
- Brainstorm, Faithless Looting
- Windfall, Frantic Search
- Impulse, Chart a Course, Thrill of Possibility
Some budget lands upgrades to consider:
- Command Tower: staple of Commander for two or more color decks.
- Unclaimed Territory
- Path of Ancestry: repeatable scry when you cast a Wizard.
- Shivan Reef
- Mystic Sanctuary: recur a instant or sorcery from your graveyard.
Good luck with your deck.
3 months ago
Hey, well done for your first Commander deck on such a low budget.
Because of the low budget all my card suggestions will be $1 or less each. With Brass you want more low mana cost (CMC) Pirates who have evasion that way you can more easily do combat damage to an opponent with three Pirates. The two best evasion abilities to give Pirates are flying or unblockable as these will give the most potential to do combat damage to a player.
- Departed Deckhand: consistently is unblockable since there's a few Spirits played in Commander, but not in all decks. He can be a way to use mana each turn to activate his ability (mana sink) to make another Pirate or Pirates unblockable.
- Warkite Marauder: flying Pirate who has a strong attack trigger since you can make one creature of the opponent your attacking a 0/1 meaning if that creature blocks one of your Pirates it will die. This ability makes it easier to do combat damage to an opponent because your opponent is not going to block with the 0/1 and risk losing their creature.
- Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator: flying Pirate who can be a ramp engine by creating treasures. Malcolm and any other Pirates who do combat damage to an opponent creates a number of treasures equal to the number of different opponents who were dealt damage. Malcolm triggers to create a treasure whenever a Pirate does any kind of damage to a player not just combat damage.
- Fathom Fleet Captain: Pirate with menace and menace can be evasion, but only if the opponent you're attacking has few creatures to block with since the ability means that Fathom can't be blocked except by two or more creatures. He can be a repeatable source of Pirates, creating Pirate tokens.
- Coercive Recruiter: doesn't have evasion, instead it has a powerful repeatable effect to gain control of opponents creatures and the creatures you gain control of become a Pirate until end of turn. Recruiter triggers whenever any Pirate you control enters the battlefield (ETB) meaning as long as you have Pirates to cast or Pirate tokens to create they can help to clear the way for attacking Pirates to do combat damage to an opponent.
- Daring Saboteur: can make itself unblockable and she can be a repeatable draw source when she does combat damage to an opponent.
- Coastline Marauders: has trample, trample is evasion and he can do a lot of trample damage. With trample extra damage that a creature can do when blocked is done to the defending player instead. If he has 6 power and is blocked by opponent's 2/2 then 4 damage is done to the defending player.
There's some good support cards that can help Pirates to trigger Brass, protect Pirates or give you card advantage to stay ahead in the game.
- Reconnaissance Mission: can be lots of repeatable draw. Good with Pirates who have evasion because each Pirate who does combat damage to a player you draw a card.
- Archetype of Imagination: effect to want to ramp into by giving all creatures you control flying and makes it so your opponents can't block your creatures because they lose flying. Only an opponents creature with Reach can block your creatures with flying.
- In Garruk's Wake: effect to want to ramp into. Board wipe that only destroys all your opponents creatures and Planeswalkers. This is a powerful effect in multiplayer Commander and it can clear the battlefield for your Pirates to safely attack your opponents.
- Negate: staple counterspell that's easy to cast. Stops a board wipe for two mana.
Rainbow lands in Commander are very helpful when playing many colors. Most Rainbow lands are expensive price cards, but there's three staples that are each less than $1.
- Command Tower: staple land for any two or more color decks in Commander.
- Exotic Orchard
- Path of Ancestry: tribal land for repeatable scry which helps with which cards you draw.
These 14 cards suggested could be added for about $8. If interested I offer more advice in another comment, including suggestions of cards to cut. Good luck with your deck.