Archetype of Imagination
Enchantment Creature — Human Wizard
Creatures you control have flying.
Creatures your opponents control lose flying and can't have or gain flying.
|Want (4)||IconPrince , Teth , szerek , Skranbets|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Archetype of Imagination occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Archetype of Imagination Discussion
6 days ago
2 weeks ago
The deck is looking pretty good. I like the creature base you have chosen, there are a couple questionable creatures though. Cloudreader Sphinx seems kind of bad in this deck. If you just want a flying scryer, perhaps Sphinx of Foresight, Prognostic Sphinx, Stormwing Entity, or Siani, Eye of the Storm.
Passwall Adept is just not good enough. its too much of a resource drain. Opt is not helpful in this deck since you immediately draw the card after scrying. Cunning Evasion wont do much good I am thinking since most of your creatures wont be blocked anyway.
In my opinion, you need a few less low CMC cards and a few more high CMC that you can use to get Yuriko damage in. For cuts, I would start by looking at any creatures that cost CMC 2/3 that dont provide value other than being unblockable (Invisible Stalker, Vault Skirge (love that card btw). I would then look at replacing sorceries with instants where possible. Darksteel Pendant and Crystal Ball are not good enough in my opinion and are too much of a resource investment unless there is some sort of artifact strategy I am missing. Dimir Keyrune provides interesting utility but is inefficient. Consider Arcane Signet instead or perhaps even Dark Ritual. Thran Dynamo is fairly efficient for cost to mana provided but it seems most of your mana needs are for color. Key to the City is for yuriko after she is out I assume.. I would probably run Aqueous Form instead because it has a scry effect on attack which is pretty desirable.
Here are some cards to consider in not much particular order:
Chromatic Orrery (high cmc and provides a lot of mana)
Chain of Vapor (way to return a card to hand as well as an opponents card or cards)
Archaeomancer (can get brainstorm back and can be returned to hand with ninjitsu potentially)
Scroll Rack (spendy but so good)
Trickery Charm (does multiple things you want)
Grozoth (requires you to build around it to be worthwhile but can be good)
3 weeks ago
Hey, saw your forum topic asking for help. Good build on such a low a budget. Realistically to make much improvements you're going to have to be able to spend more than $30 for your deck.
My advice is to lower the mana curve by adding more low CMC Wizards and more low CMC instants and sorceries that draw cards. End the curve with two five drops Wizards: Azami, Lady of Scrolls, Shipwreck Dowser and one six drop Archetype of Imagination. I suggest playing double the amount or more of instants and sorceries than Wizards because technically you don't need other Wizards because Adeliz can pump herself. Still have a strong base of low CMC Wizards, just a smaller one.
Since Adeliz can pump herself and has flying she is really your best win condition doing 21 Commander damage to each opponent. The problem with Adeliz is she doesn't provide card advantage only pump therefore you need a lot of other cards that draw cards to fuel the pump.
Some Wizards can help for card advantage:
- Windrider Wizard: lets you draw each time you cast an instant or sorcery or even a Wizard and he has flying which makes him a threat to attack. If just about every card you cast draws you a card then that's a nice advantage to keep drawing instants/sorceries/Wizards.
- Burning Prophet: repeatable scry is powerful when you want to draw certain cards and not lands or other cards. She can filter away lands so that you draw instants/sorceries/Wizards.
Consider more low CMC Wizards? That way you can establish a Wizard army quicker and get faster benefits from Adeliz with other Wizards. More low CMC flying Wizards can benefit much more from the pump from Adeliz because they can more easily do combat damage to an opponent:
- Siren Stormtamer
- Wingcrafter: way to give a Wizard who doesn't have evasion flying such as Burning Prophet and soulbond can change creatures.
- Faerie Seer
- Kaza, Roil Chaser
- Lightning Stormkin
- Dreadhorde Arcanist
With more low CMC flying Wizards then cards such as Bident of Thassa and Reconnaissance Mission can draw a lot of cards since you draw a card for each creature who does combat damage to a player. This is a way to keep refilling your hand with instants/sorceries by attacking with Wizards even if you don't have instants/sorceries to cast. Flying Wizards are still going to do combat damage to a player and draw cards. Shared Animosity is repeatable pump for each attacking Wizard you control. This repeatable effect is in addition too any pump that Adeliz does.
Izzet has a wealth of good low CMC budget instants/sorceries that draw cards that are staples of Commander:
- Preordain, Serum Visions, Ponder
- Brainstorm, Faithless Looting
- Windfall, Frantic Search
- Impulse, Chart a Course, Thrill of Possibility
Some budget lands upgrades to consider:
- Command Tower: staple of Commander for two or more color decks.
- Unclaimed Territory
- Path of Ancestry: repeatable scry when you cast a Wizard.
- Shivan Reef
- Mystic Sanctuary: recur a instant or sorcery from your graveyard.
Good luck with your deck.
3 weeks ago
Hey, well done for your first Commander deck on such a low budget.
Because of the low budget all my card suggestions will be $1 or less each. With Brass you want more low mana cost (CMC) Pirates who have evasion that way you can more easily do combat damage to an opponent with three Pirates. The two best evasion abilities to give Pirates are flying or unblockable as these will give the most potential to do combat damage to a player.
- Departed Deckhand: consistently is unblockable since there's a few Spirits played in Commander, but not in all decks. He can be a way to use mana each turn to activate his ability (mana sink) to make another Pirate or Pirates unblockable.
- Warkite Marauder: flying Pirate who has a strong attack trigger since you can make one creature of the opponent your attacking a 0/1 meaning if that creature blocks one of your Pirates it will die. This ability makes it easier to do combat damage to an opponent because your opponent is not going to block with the 0/1 and risk losing their creature.
- Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator: flying Pirate who can be a ramp engine by creating treasures. Malcolm and any other Pirates who do combat damage to an opponent creates a number of treasures equal to the number of different opponents who were dealt damage. Malcolm triggers to create a treasure whenever a Pirate does any kind of damage to a player not just combat damage.
- Fathom Fleet Captain: Pirate with menace and menace can be evasion, but only if the opponent you're attacking has few creatures to block with since the ability means that Fathom can't be blocked except by two or more creatures. He can be a repeatable source of Pirates, creating Pirate tokens.
- Coercive Recruiter: doesn't have evasion, instead it has a powerful repeatable effect to gain control of opponents creatures and the creatures you gain control of become a Pirate until end of turn. Recruiter triggers whenever any Pirate you control enters the battlefield (ETB) meaning as long as you have Pirates to cast or Pirate tokens to create they can help to clear the way for attacking Pirates to do combat damage to an opponent.
- Daring Saboteur: can make itself unblockable and she can be a repeatable draw source when she does combat damage to an opponent.
- Coastline Marauders: has trample, trample is evasion and he can do a lot of trample damage. With trample extra damage that a creature can do when blocked is done to the defending player instead. If he has 6 power and is blocked by opponent's 2/2 then 4 damage is done to the defending player.
There's some good support cards that can help Pirates to trigger Brass, protect Pirates or give you card advantage to stay ahead in the game.
- Reconnaissance Mission: can be lots of repeatable draw. Good with Pirates who have evasion because each Pirate who does combat damage to a player you draw a card.
- Archetype of Imagination: effect to want to ramp into by giving all creatures you control flying and makes it so your opponents can't block your creatures because they lose flying. Only an opponents creature with Reach can block your creatures with flying.
- In Garruk's Wake: effect to want to ramp into. Board wipe that only destroys all your opponents creatures and Planeswalkers. This is a powerful effect in multiplayer Commander and it can clear the battlefield for your Pirates to safely attack your opponents.
- Negate: staple counterspell that's easy to cast. Stops a board wipe for two mana.
Rainbow lands in Commander are very helpful when playing many colors. Most Rainbow lands are expensive price cards, but there's three staples that are each less than $1.
- Command Tower: staple land for any two or more color decks in Commander.
- Exotic Orchard
- Path of Ancestry: tribal land for repeatable scry which helps with which cards you draw.
These 14 cards suggested could be added for about $8. If interested I offer more advice in another comment, including suggestions of cards to cut. Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
1 month ago
Though just Flying Chubby Unicorns works too...
1 month ago
Hey, well done first version and less than $100 is impressive.
Consider this $8 upgrade?
- Glint-Horn Buccaneer
- Archetype of Imagination
- Departed Deckhand
- Siren Stormtamer
- Tandem Lookout
- Daring Saboteur
- Mask of Memory
- Comet Storm
- Chaos Warp
- Path of Ancestry
Glint-Horn Buccaneer is a combo with Malcolm which can be lethal damage to your opponents as a win condition, lots of card draw to find a card you need and if you have three or more opponents create lots of extra treasures. Without the combo Buccaneer is excellent to trigger Malcolm and Breeches because he does damage to each opponent. It's worth expanding on repeatable looting (draw/discard effects) with Buccaneer such as Mask of Memory and Daring Saboteur.
14 of the 24 Pirates here will have a difficult time doing combat damage to a player because they lack evasion. You have some ways, mostly equipment, that can make the equipped creature unblockable, but these only work with one Pirate. Archetype of Imagination is the kind of budget card you want to ramp into with treasures because it gives all creatures you control flying and unblockable since your opponents creatures lose flying meaning they're unable in combat to block flying creatures.
Departed Deckhand is a two drop Pirate who will consistently be unblockable. He's also a mana sink to make other Pirates consistently unblockable especially Breeches. Siren Stormtamer is a one drop flying Pirate who can sac itself if you need it to protect another creature or yourself from a spell or an ability.
Tandem Lookout is helpful repeatable draw especially if soulbond to Glint-Horn Buccaneer or Lightning-Rig Crew because then you draw cards equal to the number of opponents you have each time. Lookout can pair with different creatures when him or they ETB. It can first soulbond with Malcolm and then if you want another Pirate later on; just pairing with a flying Pirate is good.
Comet Storm is a versatile instant removal spell (any targets) that can also be a potential win condition with lots of ramp/treasures. Chaos Warp is a versatile instant removal spell (any permanent). Path of Ancestry is a budget Rainbow tribal land that can be repeatable scry.
If interested I offer more help including cards to consider cutting. Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Hey Coercive Recruiter, Amphin Mutineer, Breeches, Brazen Plunderer, Crumbling Necropolis, Command Tower, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Port Razer, Forerunner of the Coalition, Captain Lannery Storm, Storm Fleet Sprinter, Corsair Captain, Spectral Sailor, Angrath's Marauders, Dreamcaller Siren, Lightning-Rig Crew, and Archetype of Imagination are all cards that are good for a tribal Pirate deck.
I'm always one for pirate tribal (despite me never managing to piece together me own pirate deck), so this is a +1 from me!