|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from play, if it had a -1/-1 counter on it, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Blowfly Infestation Discussion
4 days ago
I was unable to find a tribe in your deck. There are some token generators, but few enough that a tribal card would be a dead draw most of the time. For those reasons, I'd recommend removing these:
A lot of the utility of the deck comes from being able to massacre your tokens in the name of -1/-1 counters (e.g. Blowfly Infestation and any of Flourishing Defenses, Nest of Scarabs, or Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons herself. Add Blood Artist (or similar) and it's an infinite wincon). Any creature with 2+ toughness will not be killable from a single counter, so anything that buffs toughness without a major benefit just weakens the deck. For those reasons, I'd recommend cutting these:Skullclamp.
Various other cuttables:
- Spread the Sickness - sorcery speed kill is pretty "meh".
- Shambling Swarm - the counters go away at end of turn, and it's likely he'll die in a boardwipe (so there won't be anyone to put the counters on anyway), and he has 3 devotion.
- Soulstinger - similar to Shambling Swarm, it's likely he'll die in a boardwipe (so there won't be anyone to put the counters on). Also, you're getting a weak creature in the hopes of doing something useful with it - better to just get a good creature in the first place.
- Decimator Beetle - moves one counter, once per turn, and it has to attack to trigger.
- Essence Warden - the lifegain doesn't get you anything
- Fume Spitter - insufficient recursion to really get a benefit from him
- Wicker Warcrawler - why include a creature that just gets worse?
- Tower Above - i'm on the fence on this one. The CMC is a bit high, but the benefits could be large.
- Needle Specter - Also on the fence. I like it more than the spell though.
- Rendclaw Trow - a 2/2 with wither and nothing else. 2 damage will just be ignored on attack until he dies in a wipe, or manages to block and get you (at best) 3 tokens.
You need to have a minimum of 37 lands. You're also playing , the color whose greatest strength is the massive ramp it can accomplish. If you swap all the cards noted for lands and acceleration, i would expect the deck to play significantly better. Also, don't use rocks for the ramp, unless land-wipe is common in your meta. It's easy and common for artifacts to die, but (usually) much harder to kill a land. I'd recommend the standard ramp:
- Cabal Coffers + Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
- Kodama's Reach
- Skyshroud Claim
- Explosive Vegetation
1 week ago
Yeah, I picked those combo' too. I just played 2 games with friends : 1st one I killed everyone with Obelisk Spider and Blowfly Infestation and 2nd one we got locked by an Atraxa deck with Stase sigh. But on 2nd one, I played Harvest Season with 5 tapped crea' so pretty fun. With Cryptolith Rite and Throne of the God-Pharaoh that's really fun !Else, our decklist are really similar, I only have the Quillspike+Devoted Druid that you don't have for combo' and that's all.
1 week ago
Necroskitter is super powerful with a -1/-1 counter deck
2 weeks ago
Little tip, look up "wither" as a keyword and maybe you'll find cool stuff!
3 weeks ago
For a wincon, this deck LOVES to run a bunch of creatures death triggers and then drop Blowfly Infestation for infinite deaths, and game. A few cards you might want for this include Blood Artist, Grave Pact (not game but it certainly sways the game in your favor), and Zulaport Cutthroat. Obelisk Spider does that too, which you already have.
Also, Beseech the Queen is a wonderful tutor and Necropotence is arguably the best draw engine you have available to you, Id suggest adding those, not to mention maybe an Oracle of Mul Daya, just because its that good.
3 weeks ago
Really like the deck. I tried to do a deck like this on my own and i found a sweet combo.Maybe this is something for u. If u have the Nest of Scarabs consider getting Blowfly Infestation. You need a creature with 1/1 and put a counter on them to kill it, summon a 1/1 token cause u put a counter on a creature and killing the other. That card goes to graveyard and you can place another counter, cause it had a counter on it. You can basically repeat that as often as you want and you can make a profit with the Obelisk Spider.
Hope that wasn't too weird and a little bit of a help. Okey, i just see Blowfly Infestation is not legal in standard. Didn't realize u going for standard. Nevertheless i hope it helped a bit.
1 month ago
Fyi boros keyrune is illegal here. I wouldnt pkay with a keyrune regardless. If you're looking for in-color ramp try Solemn Simulacrum, and Talisman of Indulgence. As for the deck you may want to consider Heartstone, Blowfly Infestation, and Nest of Scarabs.
1 month ago
This is similar to another question that came up a few weeks ago and it looks like my response to that one would still be relevant here. Let me know if there's some detail I missed that changes things.
There's a way to avoid an infinite loop, and according to the rules of the game you have to take that option at some point in the process. A loop made up of only mandatory actions will draw the game, but if there are any choices you can make to end it then you have to pick a number of iterations and make the different choice that will cause the loop to end after that point.
Let's say a creature with some number of -1/-1 counters dies and triggers the Blowfly Infestations. You target another creature with the triggers. For the sake of simplicity the following explanation assumes you target the same creature with the Infestation triggers, but it'll be pretty much the same situation if you target different creatures instead.
- When the Infestation triggers resolve and place -1/-1 counters on the targeted creature, it triggers Nest of Scarabs, but it's not time to put the Nest trigger on the stack yet
- State-based-actions (SBAs) are checked right before each time a player would get priority. The game sees a creature with 0 toughness and puts it into the graveyard, triggering the Infestations again. Similarly, these triggers aren't on the stack yet
- When an ability triggers, it's put onto the stack the next time a player gets priority. If multiple triggers controlled by the same player are trying to go onto the stack at the same time, that player chooses what order to put them onto the stack. In this case you need to put the Nest trigger on bottom and the Infestation triggers on top. This is also when you choose a target for the Infestation triggers (some other creature on the battlefield)
- Let the Infestation triggers resolve, and it sets off the same series of events described above. Now you have 2 Nest triggers on the bottom of the stack and another 2 Infestation triggers on top
- Eventually you'll run out of creatures to target and kill with Blowfly Infestation, so it will stop adding triggers to the stack. All of the Nest of Scarabs triggers you've accumulated can finally start to resolve and will create the appropriate number of Insect tokens
If you need to keep the chain going for a while to kill more things then you can put the Nest triggers on the top of the stack instead in point 3 above, then they'll be available to target later.
Note that if two Infestation triggers target the same creature and the first resolving one kills it, we don't have to worry about the other one still hanging out there because it will get countered for lack of a legal target when we finally get around to processing it.