|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters (MMA)||Uncommon|
|Time Spiral (TSP)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Split second (As long as this spell is on the stack, players can't cast spells or activate abilities that aren't mana abilities.)
Sudden Shock deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
Sudden Shock Discussion
1 month ago
I run Flash Hulk in my Muldrotha deck, but the combo involves fetching a sac outlet plus Body Double , then copying Hulk, Sacrificing it, then getting Mikaeus, the Unhallowed and Walking Ballista to pull off the combo. It’s much easier to shut down, but it can be shortcutted.
Now that I’ve seen this list, I’m considering the possibility of adding Extirpate as a means to shut down specifically this combo, but also targeted reanimate effects. Is it even worth considering any possible ways to stop Extirpate ? There’s also Sudden Shock to consider, but I don’t think either sees as much play as it should (I understand they aren’t the most effective ways to stop a lot of cards, but they are among the few cards that can stop self protecting loops like this one).
3 months ago
First off, this deck is pretty sweet. I have a mono-red Hatebears list that also runs Crack the Earth . (It’s not a very good list in and of itself, but its good starts are insane.) The main thing I’d suggest is to replace Shock in the sideboard. It’s just strictly worse than a ton of other cards. If you need cheap spot removal like Lightning Bolt , you could try Burst Lightning , which is like Shock except that it hits a whole lot more in the late game. If you want a spicier option for the removal slot in the side, try Sudden Shock . While it is a 2-mana variant of Shock , it has a huge advantage in that there’s really no way to stop it: Split Second makes the Spell uncounterable, and not even activated abilities or pump spells can save the targeted creature. In other words, Sudden Shock dunks on Infect.
Just some things to consider!
11 months ago
Split second doesn't just prevent countering. It prevents all non-mana activity after the point where the split second spell is cast, whether that's buffs, counterspells, sacrifice effects, or anything else.
11 months ago
Commander / EDH*
SCORE: 1 | 11 COMMENTS | 117 VIEWS
The deck is at 100. But I'm not done yet...
Kicker Molten Disaster
Don't get the pattern? Maybe I can help you. They are cards w/ Split/Second. This means I can't cast anything to counter this, & would have to require a Mana Ability to counter it. What cards w/ Mana Abilities in all possible colors can counter these cards? We have Creatures that can't be Out-Flashed, Instants that can't be countered, & other nasty effects.
Any suggestions that can help? I'm thinking of replacing Mizzium Meddler for something that can counter this. Anything could help in this case. Thanks in advance. :)
1 year ago
A few thoughts ...
- If you're going non-budget, you might consider running Snow-Covered Mountains instead. Folks will likely misplay against you, thinking you're on Skred or Dragon Skred. Plus, you could run Scrying Sheets.
- I only goldfished the deck a couple times but you might consider adding 2-3x Lands. With an average CMC (as I type this) of 2.62, 24 is optimal (source: the table at the bottom of this article by Hall of Famer Frank Karsten). And sure you've got the SSGs, but mana dorks only count for around 1/2 of a Land, and the SSGs don't stick around. So maybe 1/4-1/3 of a Land each? But you're also running Boom // Bust, which will often (though of course, not always) set you back one.
Some meta considerations ...
- Seems like Combo (e.g., Storm, KCI) would be very tough, since the deck is super-grindy and they don't need many Lands to go off. If it becomes a problem, maybe some Damping Sphere?
- Graveyard decks (e.g., Bridgevine, Dredge) could be very tough as well, since the deck throws a bunch of the opponent's cards in the 'yard. If that's an issue, maybe some Grafdigger's Cage, to go along with the Relics?
- Infect seems like it's be brutal. Maybe some Sudden Shock, if that becomes a problem.
Another option to consider is running this as RW. As hungry000 mentioned, some Arid Mesa would make Boom // Bust better. Plus you'd have access to Rest in Peace and other powerful White sideboard cards ...
Good luck (and good skill) with the deck!
1 year ago
1 year ago
Good Burn Cards:
1 year ago
No data for this card yet.