|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Blessing of the Nephilim
Enchantment — Aura
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each of its colors.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (11)||xXThormentXx , Mousemke , , LeroyJones , bakunet , Supremespeed , NobleSlay3r , releasethedogs , XxCataclysmiCxX , itheoryz , PTsmitty|
|Want (38)||jpc852 , Pylioz , foxboy93 , acbooster , CaptianClueless , Aceleron , IcyLetters , Niroh , Sadert , TevishSzat , awfulNeutral , InfiniteMartyr , niner80 , Thotny , starkzero , keudhor , fancysaurus , oryandaw , xXThormentXx , Stovetop617 , zephyrmoth , NobleGhost117 , Jspeed , getyourrebelon , PopeJonIII , MxStoneheart , MoxFlux , frostotron , CrustyCraig , Awuztein , NivStormfront , gershom , Hylianpirate , SaltySpecula , gplocke , Cunningcrow , Archmage_Aramil , scsrhino|
Blessing of the Nephilim Discussion
1 month ago
Thanks hkhssweiss ! So I have noticed in 3-4 player EDH, if I can't draw enough mana ramp and Uril Auras in time, the board state could very well have a few 10/10 fatties and 30 artifact tokens all pumped with +X/+X. I also consistently run out of cards in hand around turn 8. I either have a opening hand full of mana ramp and lands, or some lands and great auras, but for those times when I can't win early game, I need to Day of Judgment or Constant Mists. Even if I get Uril souped up, my opponents find way to bounce/sacrifice/prevent any creatures to attack.
I am trying to find the balance of: play enough ramp/aura draw cards so then I can swing before anyone has a chance, therefore I don't need to reset the board VS take a few more turns to draw for those game-winning cards, but in trade draw a wrath that may control the board to justify my taking a few more turns. I have lost to tokens/fatties damage after swinging with Uril at one person and not able to kill ALL players, so I have found that I need some way to survive another turn and keep Uril on the field.
I am planning to buy Sylvan Library (on my SCG shopping cart), and Hunter's Insight definitely syncs with Uril swinging ANYTIME (or even a turn 1 Serra Ascendant, which I have Aura'd up turn 3-5 and won.
Sage's Reverie is conditional like Daybreak Coronet, but for , I get some card draw out of it and vanilla "+X/+X damage". At most I have seen Uril with 4-5 enchantments and I already can kill someone at that point, so I don't know if it's the best 4 mana for (at most in my situation) 4-5 cards.
Every time I think about adding the enchantresses, I can't think of what I would take out. Manalith is already covered by Darksteel Ingot, Eldrazi Conscription is win more, Boros Garrison, Selesnya Sanctuary, and Gruul Turf bounce a land, but they still produce 1 more than Rith's Grove, so maybe I'll lose the Rith's. Acidic Slime is great with the deathtouch and destroy x, so it's a good blocker AND can take back an Aura Graft'ed mana reflection.
Blessing of the Nephilim and Ethereal Armor are great vanilla damage boosters. Blessing adds a guaranteed +3/+3, while Ethereal on it's own gives +1/+1 and first strike, but will need 2 other attached auras to add the +3/+3 that Blessing gives. Now Uril isn't swinging with only an Ethereal armor, so as long as Uril has 2 other enchantments, we get the equivalent damage, AND first strike. Having both on Uril would total +9/+9 for Uril for only , but without a trample Rancor or Shield of the Oversoul, I'm not swinging for lethal yet nor getting damage past blockers.
What I do want to consider is adding in more cards that give extra combat phases like Aggravated Assault. Maybe Seize the Day or World at War since they have flashback/rebound, or Combat Celebrant since it's only , but it has to survive a turn on the field.
I recently mainboarded Sigarda, Host of Herons since I hate sacrificing an indestructible Uril, and I can always Aura up Sigarda and swing, but I may consider swapping sigarda out for Tajuru Preserver since it's cheaper for the same 'prevent sacrificing' effect and can be cast early game, but I lose a hexproof flying swinger.
I also mainboarded Pariah as an alt way to prevent/redirect damage. I slap it on an opponent's indestructible or fat creature and now they have to either destroy the aura or remove their own creature before being able to deal damage to me. I know I could run creatures that "when damage is dealt to it, do X", but I would have to have both of those cards on hand to get the benefit, and unless I made it indestructible, it's only giving me utility 1 turn. Ghostly Prison also deters tokens/weenies from swinging at me since the opponent can't pay for all of them, and mana-strapped opponents with large creatures may want to save their mana and instead swing at the other opponent. I kept an opponent from swinging his fatty at me with my Soul Snare and I had a Moment's Peace in hand for the next turn after I popped soul snare.
Any thoughts on cards I can cut/replace?
11 months ago
Uril is awesome and I think you've done a good job on this deck. I have some ideas to make it even better. I am not sure whether you are on a budget; judging from some of the cards you have already chosen I rather doubt it. Anyway, these are some of the cards I think could prove useful:
- Contested Cliffs; use this to take out any annoying creature you want, without having to tap Uril.
- Kessig Wolf Run; to temporarily give Uril +X/+0 and trample, very handy.
- Rogue's Passage; make Uril unblockable. Useful in case your opponents are waiting for him with deathtouch-creatures.
- Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion; to temporarily give Uril double-strike, in case he does not have it already.
- Slayers' Stronghold; boost Uril with vigilance, haste and +2/+0 for ? Fantastic!
- Grand Abolisher; wonderful creature to counteract counter-magic.
- Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist; as long as she can attack, shes an extremely useful creature in a voltron setup.
- Sigarda, Host of Herons; second Tajuru Preserver and a powerful creature too.
- Xenagos, God of Revels; combined with an enchanted Uril, powerful enough to end games.
- Boros Charm; especially the last two abilities of this spell will prove useful in your deck.
- Path to Exile; because a deck without counter spells AND point-removal is bound for trouble.
- Swords to Plowshares; see 2.
- Temur Battle Rage; nice, cheap way to suddenly boost Uril significantly.
- Chandra's Ignition; this can win you the game in lots of cases.
- Open the Armory; great aura-tutor.
- Three Dreams; another great aura tutor.
- Winds of Rath; this card seems made for a deck like this.
- Blessing of the Nephilim; rather cheap way to give Uril +5/+5.
- Daybreak Coronet; not a cheap card to buy, but in this deck its so powerful it's almost insane.
- Dust Corona; cheap to cast, with a nice bonus and a blockers restriction attached.
- Madcap Skills; a bit like Dust Corona, cheap, good bonus and a blockers restriction.
- Sphere of Safety; with so many enchantments on your side, attacking you becomes rather costly.
- Spirit Mantle; cheap way to make Uril unblockable.
Some cards I would remove from your deck to make a little room:
- Angelic Skirmisher; expensive to cast, not worth it considering you are running very few creatures. Uril has cheaper ways available to him to get these bonuses.
- Blazing Archon; extremely expensive to cast, there are much cheaper ways to prevent attacks (see suggested cards).
- Akroma's Memorial; expensive to cast; would be more useful in a deck that contained many (token) creatures.
- Razia's Purification; I would replace this with Winds of Rath.
Hopefully you feel some of this is useful. I wish you lots of fun with this deck; let us know how it plays! Also, I would appreciate some feedback on one of my decks, if you have the time. Thanks!
11 months ago
I'm a bit confused about your post, in that I'm not sure if you're asking or suggesting at times :D
If you're just wondering about my thought processes on building this list, then you're pretty much on the same page. The reason this is strictly all multicolored is that I have so many cards that require it, 4x Pillar of the Paruns, 14x Blades, 4x Knight of New Alara, 2x Demand, amounting a whopping 24 multicolored required interactions. Thats why theres no Blessing of the Nephilim etc.. Behemoth Sledges main purpose is to be played t3 after a turn 2 blade, as it buffs the blade before equipping and later in game it's good in grindier games to keep me alive or push dmg through for lethal.
I generally never have mana up on my opponents turns, except for the Charm, if game 2-3 I know my opponent is sporting clears, as you guessed.
I don't honestly know what are my biggest problem archetypes, as I haven't had that much time to playtest. So far in "Just for Fun" ladder of mtgo, I've had around 50% rate, but that doesnt tell much as theres a lot of experimental builds amidst the higher tier lists.
I'm honored to have impacted your deck of choise in joining modern, but there are a lot better decks for the same price range if you are serious about results. If you still do pick it up and modify the list, let me know what you're changing and post some results from actual FNMs, as I'm really interested in how this would fare outside of casual environment.
1 year ago
I've got both Thalias and Blind Obedience, as well.
I think generally, I've got a bit of a lower curve, so Gaddock Teeg would turn off less of the deck. I wouldn't know what to cut for the Cartouche. I run Madcap Skills, but not Angelic Destiny, Runes of the Deus, Holy Mantle, Gift of Immortality, or Ghostly Prison, preferring instead to run stuff like Snake Umbra, Keen Sense, Ancestral Mask, Blessing of the Nephilim, etc.
1 year ago
1 year ago
I rean a lower cost aggro variant of this- relying on Shield of the Oversoul, Clout of the Dominus and Steel of the Godhead with Civic Saber and Blessing of the Nephilim to pump up, and Zur the Enchanter as a one-of. Curved into mantis rider and Lightning Angels where the shroud could really shine. Sedraxis Specter deserves a look as a resilient and powerful threat, and Skyrider Elf is both cheap and big without knights. Hide/Seek is a really powerful tool. I ran Shifting Sky for a while as a mixed pump with Guildscorn Ward, but it isn't great.