Front:Soundwave, Sonic Spy Flip
Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Soundwave, Superior Captain
Whenever you cast a spell with an odd converted mana cost/mana value, transform Soundwave. If you do, create Ravage, a legendary 3/3 black Robot artifact creature token with menace and deathtouch.
Whenever you cast a spell with an even converted mana cost/mana value, transform Soundwave. If you do, create Laserbeak, a legendary 2/2 blue Robot artifact creature token with flying and hexproof.
5 months ago
Okay, they're exactly the same thing, that simplifies it a lot. Thanks for the answer.
Just double-checking though, is there something I'm missing about why Soundwave, Superior Captain won't transform back after Soundwave, Sonic Spy Flip triggers three times? The ability of the front face specifies that it'll transform as part of its ability, and that doesn't work beyond the first trigger. But also, the trigger causes you to cast a spell, and the back face of Soundwave has its own triggered ability that'll transform it again when you cast a spell.
5 months ago
Each Boar triggers Soundwave and each opponent has an Impulse in their respective graveyards.
Pretending for a moment that Soundwave, Superior Captain has no text, if two of the original triggers resolve, will Soundwave convert to its back face and then convert again to its front face? I assume not since there is a rule in place to prevent that from happening with classic transform cards, but I figured I'd double check first.
Now, assuming that it works the same as transform: if Sonic Spy triggers three times, and the first trigger converts it into Superior Captain, then the second trigger causes Superior Caption to convert back into Sonic Spy (because of Superior Captain's own triggered ability), will the third original trigger cause Sonic Spy to convert into Superior Captain yet again?
I don't know if the transforming rules prevent a ‘dangling’ transform trigger to fail if the permanent has transformed in the meantime at all, or only if it prevents the permanent from transforming if the permanent is sitting on its other face from when the trigger was initially put on the stack.
9 months ago
Hey, well done work in progress for your first Commander deck on a budget. Good card sense upgrading the precon.
For the manabase consider upgrades of the Pain lands?
The Pain lands have been reprinted in the last two Standard sets, making them the least expensive right now. Now is the best time to get them since they will only increase in price as time goes on. Tyrite Sanctum is a nice budget utility land especially with The Flesh is Weak.
I'm playing Urza on a low budget and these are some cards, most less than $2, that I've found to be helpful.
- Ornithopter of Paradise: artifact creature for ramp.
- The Flesh is Weak: make Urza and all other creatures you control at the time an artifact. -1/-1 can wreck opponent's nonThopter token strategies who can be blockers against Constructs. Tyrite Sanctum makes it so you don't have to control nonartifact legendary creatures including Urza when you play Weak since it can put a +1/+1 counter on any legendary creature you control turns after to make it an artifact.
- Liquimetal Torque: mana rock for ramp or make Urza or any other nonland permanent an artifact. Pair with Master Transmuter to bounce any nonland permanent.
- Soundwave, Sonic Spy Flip: new Transformers card that's good in multiplayer Commander, no mana cost to cast your choice of opponent's instant or sorcery. Constructs make it consistent to trigger with a high mana value and Soundwave, Superior Captain can be a repeatable source of artifacts.
- Sculpting Steel: good in multiplayer Commander because it can be any artifact on the battlefield and it can change with Master Transmuter bounce.
- Armix, Filigree Thrasher: because of menace it can be repeatable opponent creature removal, Losheel, Clockwork Scholar helps a lot too.
Being able to make Urza an artifact can make Urza a threat with menace to do Commander damage especially with Cranial Plating. Urza surviving nonartifact creature board wipes can give you a huge advantage. Making other nonartifact creatures an artifact is good too especially Padeem, Consul of Innovation for much more protection.
Some cards to consider cutting:
- Orzhov Basilica, Dimir Aqueduct, Azorius Chancery, Skycloud Expanse
- Filigree Attendant, Darksteel Juggernaut, Etched Champion
- Gingerbrute, Burnished Hart
- Chief of the Foundry
Filigree Attendant, Darksteel Juggernaut, Etched Champion are just beaters, they don't do anything else. You don't really need them since you'll have plenty of better beaters, Constructs, who don't cost mana. Burnished Hart is slow for ramp. Chief of the Foundry is subpar for an anthem effect, it's a lesser Master of Etherium.
Good luck with your deck.