Hideaway (This land enters the battlefield tapped. When it does, look at the top four cards of your library, remove one from the game face down, then put the rest on the bottom of your library.)
Tap: Add (Blue) to your mana pool.
(Blue), Tap: You may play the removed card without paying its mana cost if a library has twenty or fewer cards in it.
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Shelldock Isle Discussion
1 month ago
2 months ago
I can see Shelldock Isle being particularly deadly if it has an Archive Trap stored as a powerful finish to an opponent, especially if you have a Breaking or better in your hand. If you can force your opponent to search their library, then other mill cards should damage them beyond recovery. As for stuff like Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, as long as you can reliably exile them while they're in the library, they're harmless, as very few cards can recover cards that were exiled by other things. Any Emrakuls in an opponent's hand are much easier to deal with, as more cards exist that can deal with those.
2 months ago
I would focus on getting the first one in exile maybe Shelldock Isle *if the ruling allows. If not Bojuka Bog can help get it into exile Then work on battlefield. Then look into Final Parting . That could help out.
2 months ago
BoneclockHarmony I am going to build this for an upcoming tournament and I believe these changes could help. I am going -1 Island and -1 Shelldock Isle for +2 Mystic Sanctuary so I can bring back a Cryptic Command or Archive Trap to take control if needed. I am also going to try +1 Archmage's Charm in place of -1 Visions of Beyond as a way to get a bit of additional versatility if card draw isn't necessary. I think this can also help in specific matches against Death's Shadow , Champion of the Parish , Monastery Swiftspear , Aether Vial , or Chalice of the Void . For the sideboard I am also thinking of swapping Negate for Essence Scatter depending on how the meta changes.
2 months ago
It's starting to look better. The mana base is where you could use the most improvement with what you have here. Competitive decks rarely use lands that come into play tapped, unless there is a significant upside to them. The only one I'd consider using is Shelldock Isle . I know people also complain about the price of modern decks due to the cost of fetchlands, but when you have hedron crab in your deck you really benefit from having them. I'd start with 4 Polluted Delta s and 3 of any other ones that find blue. They turn crabs into real milling threats. 2-3 Watery Graves follow the fetches since they will fix your colors and you can choose which downside you want (coming into play tapped or paying 2 life, whichever is better for you at the time). Darkslick Shores is the last one I'll mention. It's nice to have 2-3 of those if you have them in early turns. Field of Ruin is worth running as a 3-of since it forces a search to trigger your Archive Trap s while also removing troublesome lands your opponent may have.
With that out of the way, you do need some cards to help you stay alive against other decks. Black removal, Ensnaring Bridge if you don't plan on attacking, etc. will give you game against opponents that are faster than you. Drown in the Loch is a great and flexible card to try in this deck. I'd cut the dream twists to start making space for some of those if you're still talking about making the most competitive deck possible.
To answer your question about Mesmeric Orb : yes, it does mill you, but the rest of your deck will mill your opponent out before you need to worry about it, so it shouldn't matter. It's the same reason why competitive burn decks often use Eidolon of the Great Revel even though it damages them as well. Over the course of a few turns, you invested 2 mana to potentially mill 10+ cards, which is a great benchmark by comparison. Hopefully that helps answer your question.
Don't worry about trying to make all of these changes at once and buying a ton of cards. I'd use this as a guide towards what a competitive version might look like, but you can get there however you want if that's your goal. Have fun!
4 months ago
- Ok so for starters your SB (sideboard) is for games after the 1st game, you want cards that help you solve problems in the match up you are against. For example Crypt Incursion is good against decks that want creatures in their graveyard.
- Shelldock Isle is an amazing card
- Fatal Push push is great when you have cards like Arid Mesa . Its one mana kill a dude. In more causel games it doesn't solve with big dudes. Murder is a card I use a lot in casual play just due to the fact it kills anything. Doom Blade is also good, as well as Hero's Downfall . - Visions of Beyond is a 4 of in every competitive mill deck. However, those decks are a lot faster. 1 mana draw a card is like a worse version of blue. If you have issues getting that card's up side cut it for opt.
- Ashiok, Dream Render helps you mill faster so i might consider putting 2 in the main deck.
- Unmoored Ego its a nice card, My only probelm with it is you want them to just deck themselves. Thats 3 mana 4 cards at best. Its not very effective. Mind Funeral mills more, plus its 4 less lands so they wont be able to get land drops as easily which makes casting spells harder.
- Wall of Lost Thoughts helps keep you alive which is always nice.
- Manic Scribe is a great card as well.
- Being its casuel this card is soooooo tilting Consuming Aberration Its so much fun I might even consider running 3. You are a 22-24 land deck which means you should be able to cast it often enough, and when you do it can be game winning.
- Sphinx's Tutelage can also help your deck.
- Traumatize is funny as well. There is a fish that does the same thing i cant rememebr its name.
- Increasing Confusion Reoccurring Nightmare are also fun.
- Another way to approach this deck is cards like Trepanation Blade + Tormented Soul and Paranoid Delusions and Whispering Madness . It can be a fun deck to play with.
4 months ago
- ok So i have a UW version I can share with you Trap Mill
- The UB version is probably better Here is what I would do: 4x Hedron Crab (fetchlands make it to good) and probably 4x Manic Scribe That is it for creatures other than maybe Snapcaster Mage (archeive trap has an alternitive cost so you may pay 0 mana to flash it back).
- 4x Archive Trap Glimpse the Unthinkable Visions of Beyond , 3x Surgical Extraction (Modern loves its graveyard) Fatal Push (every deck needs removal and this helps so much), 1x Crypt Incursion life is nice, and its graveyard hate at instant speed.
- Mesmeric Orb it is symmetric but things in your graveyard isnt the worst. Ensnaring Bridge stops people from attacking you which is amazing
- Search for Azcanta Flip also really helps and flips easy which lets you filter, dont run more than 2
- Field of Ruin helps you its also forced search!
- 6 fetchlands, 2 Watery Grave , 3x Shelldock Isle , 3 basics (more islands), 3x Darkslick Shores
- Other tempting adds: Mission Briefing Murderous Cut Collective Brutality
- I also like Scheming Symmetry
4 months ago
I am persuaded you don't want etb tapped land except for Shelldock Isle wich is great. Void Snare is a solid option against a lot of Leyline of Sanctity decks. Nonetheless, it is a much worse card than any other popular sideboard card to the extent that I rarely end up including it in my 75s. Finally, I am against needing to put together multiple cards in order to have a chance against Leyline of Sanctity .