Upvotes are welcome and I will sacrifice an onion to honor those who give their +1s! Remember to write a comment, so I can correctly perform the ritual in your name! Of course, any suggestion and constructive opinion is taken into account, reviewed and appreciated. Cheers!
- T1: Swamp + Inquisition of Kozilek. Check your opponent's hand and plan ahead.
- T2: Swamp + Hymn to Tourach. Opponent's hand should drop to 4 cards.
- T3: Swamp + Nyxathid. Opponent's hand: 2-3 cards.
- T4: Swamp + Raven's Crime + Sign in Blood + Shrieking Affliction.
T5: Swamp + Painful Quandary or a Sewer Nemesis or even another Nyxathid to generate fair pressure. You can also keep the field controlled with Victim of Night. You have now to be aggressive and don't let the other palyer cast anything. Use your further discard spells wisely! That should mean GG by turn 6 or 7.
BONUS TRACKS: Don't forget to use the retrace ability of Raven's Crime.
- Blackmail: A card deceptively useful, very handy in this dedicated deck. The opponent shouldn't have usually more than 3 or 4 cards in hand, so this hits everything, including lands. When everything has to be discarded it doesn't matter whether they hide something or not.
- Hymn to Tourach: Because Wrench Mind is "Meh", let's go Legacy singing some Hymns! This card is nuts, and Turn 2 Hymn does a lot of damage thanks to the random factor. For added fun, make the opponent shuffle his/her hand and choose the cards him/herself.
- Inquisition of Kozilek: Nobody expects the spanish inquisition! The poor-man's-Thoughtseize, more useful in early game than in late game, is still better than Despise and Duress, I believe.
- Leechridden Swamp: Damage dealer for the late game, when you have lots of mana and few things to do with it. When the game stalls, this card shines along The Rack.
- Nyxathid: A heavy hitter for just 3 mana is too good not to include. At its potential 7/7 this can easily swing a couple of times and finish the game, or it can endure a couple of hits in the rare event that the opponent managed to cast something bigger than a Llanowar Elves.
- Painful Quandary: Finisher. Puts the opponent under lockdown, giving you time to plan and hit through combat damage and the enchantments.
- Raven's Crime: An elegant discard card that uses those spare lands that fill your hand in the late game. You can't choose the card being discarded... no, you can't, but when the opponent's hand is falling apart like leaves in autumn... choosing is not a priority. Best played in Turn 3, after an Inquisition of Kozilek and a Hymn to Tourach.
- Sewer Nemesis: One of the latest additions and, in my personal opinion, a ruthlessly efficient creature. You could even cast this on yourself and still make it a 10/10 or so. Also, this is much better than a Hypnotic Specter given the added support of the discard sorceries.
- Shrieking Affliction: A Neo-Rack that, in a dedicated deck, works better than the former. In combination with Painful Quandary, the Affliction will pin down any opponent and force him to not playing a card or lose between 5 and 8 life, considering he/she has only 1 or 2 cards in hand.
- Sign in Blood: Draw engine that will, for the price of 2 life, keep the opponent on it's toes. Just when your hand seemed empty... BOOM, 2 new threats. Used best in Turns 4-5.
- The Rack: A staple in this kind of deck, well supported by Shrieking Affliction this card is Game Over if your opponent can't top-deck an anti-artifact card within the first 7 Turns.
- Victim of Night: This hits more creatures than Doom Blade and Go for the Throat (also there are some Wurmcoil Engines and Steel Hellkites in my playgroup), so it's my first choice. Also the is not a downside in this deck.
Next Deck In The Cycle
Previous Deck In The Cycle
For starters: thanks to all of you who have commented and upvoted the deck. It is much appreciated!!!
And, sometimes with delay, I deliver!:
The deck changed just a little bit: I re-added Painful Quandary. It is so freaking powerful that it locks down the opponent by turn 5 or 6. Also Sewer Nemesis was the right thing to add in terms of using the opponent's graveyard. Thanks for commenting, upvoting and reading. Keep it up and share the love.
zyphermage: Nope. Maybe yes to that liliana. Smallpox doesn't work here.
razvaniorga: my thoughts on Hypnotic Specter? Well, it goes with the theme... but it requires the "deals combat damage", so it is a little vulnerable to removal, and sometimes a dead drop altogether. Smallpox hits you too... and hits you hard. With just 7 creatures, I can't afford to lose board presence. And with the focus of this deck, you shouldn't be seeing many creatures. For everything else, there's Victim of Night.
August 22, 2015 12:07 a.m.
Have you considered Funeral Charm? It goes with your theme but still offers some versitily and the agressive casting cost would make it a nice addition.
September 26, 2015 4:17 p.m.
plus 1. I don't know the deck well enough to suggest changes.
September 26, 2015 4:48 p.m.
October 1, 2015 8:41 p.m.
Love this deck--How do I make a bullet list under the accordion? As well as the green upvote button?
October 4, 2015 12:21 p.m.
I want to build it with playset of Dark Ritual, opinions ?
October 5, 2015 7:37 a.m.
- ActionHeroDwag: Me too.
October 5, 2015 8:27 a.m.
The rack as a 4 of is really more important than shrieking affliction. It can kill planeswalkers. The question really is though, are you trying to be legacy or modern? If legacy why not drop the creatures and painful quandry? If you want to be budget modern swap out the hymn to tourachs to wrench mind. Also I think you are devalueing smallpox way too much, it is a non target kill spell with discard built in. There really is no drawback to it. When I played legacy rack a few months back, your 2 mana spells is what you wanted to draw most. The main 2 being smallpox and hymn to tourach.
October 5, 2015 5:18 p.m.
+1 for the rack ;) In all seriousness though, I do think that running creatures and Painful Quandary does just slow your game down (hurts a lot in legacy imo). It seems to me like running 2-4 creatures (cards) is all you need in this type of deck. Something like Pack Rat works well in modern, I don't know if there's a better alternative for legacy. I would take out the creatures and add Smallpox , this way it would hurt them more than it would hurt you. The Rack is better than Shrieking Affliction because it does give you choice of damaging the Lilis and Jaces. At the point where there are no creatures (or just less) I would suggest running Innocent Blood. I may be biased because I'm just used to building it that way :P
October 6, 2015 12:11 p.m.
Please login to comment
|Date added||4 years|
|Last updated||4 days|
This deck is Legacy legal.
|Folders||Definitive Decks, Cool looking decks, other decks that intrigue me, Favourites, cool, Cool Decks, Cool Modern Deck, Decks That I Like, Fav decks, mazzi belli, Decks I like, Decks, Black Decks, Discard Decks, 1, Want, Modern good decks, Black Decks , Budget/Mono/Theme, Mono Black, My Decks, decks, the rack, Decks i like, xnotbad, sweg, Things I Like From Others, Legacy, Playtest, cool decks, discard control, ideas, Want, Maybe Buy, Other Discard Decks, Ideas, Legacy, acquire, decks 2, Idea, OP, Mono Black, Magic ko, rosso pedina, Fav, Cheap Decks, Creatureless, Possible Decks to build, decks, modern, Favorites, Deck Ideas From Others, cheap deck ideas, Want, Not mine, Aggro Decks, decks i want , SO GEWD, Synergetic, Favorite Decks, Favorites, Other People's Decks, Birthday decks?, Legacy, Legacy Ideas, Legacy, Legacy, interesting deck ideas|
|Top rank||#2 on 2015-10-08|