|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Classic Sixth Edition||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Each player may play an additional land during each of his or her turns.
Whenever a land is tapped for mana, return it to its owner's hand.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Storm Cauldron Discussion
6 days ago
skyninja135 your average cmc is too high (3.81) and your Abundance combo is solid but there's a lot of win more cards in there (whats Worldspine Wurm and Realm Seekers doing?). A number of your artifacts don't seem competitive at all, Storm Cauldron, Horn of Greed, Ghirapur Orrery all benefit the opponents as well which is something you want to avoid (except cards like Selvala, Heart of the Wilds), giving them extra lands basically speeds up their game plans as well. Most of the creature ramp (Wood Elves, Yavimaya Elder etc.) you got can be cut for normal dorks ( Elvish Mystic, Llanowar Elves etc.). I get the fact that you want to ramp heavily with lands, but most of the spells that enable you to do so are rather slow; compare Cultivate to Mox Diamond, of course, mox may be out of your budget but this kind of ramp allows early explosive turns ( after all you're aim is to pull off the combo asap) rather than a slow accumulative ramp (someone's bound to go off before you do). You can take out the landfall theme it's just not fast/strong enough. I'm unsure what the optimal land count for a deck like this would be, but removing the tapped lands is a definite (Temple of Abandon, Evolving Wilds) and adding in off-color fetches (unless your budget prevents you but it should be one of your top priorities). Also, why no artifact hate? Just some other cards that I think should be cut:
- Seek the Horizon (for 4?)
- Tempt with Discovery (letting the opponent search for a land is not a good idea)
- Rites of Flourishing (should really be adding cards that benefit yourself like I mentioned above)
- Constant Mists (unless there's someone who plays the kiki combo)
- Knollspine Dragon, Kodama's Reach (let's be honest: it's too slow)- Krosan Tusker (better options out there)
- Mina and Denn, Wildborn, Oracle of Mul Daya ( 4cmc is a bit too much for this effect and they don't really do anything else, you also want enough lands in the library for Borborygmos to discard)
- Temple of the False God (when you can just replace it with an Ancient Tomb)
- Centaur Vinecrasher (yyyy?)
- Kessig Wolf Run, Thespian's Stage (kessig if you must, but I don't see the value in stage)
As for the cards, you'll want to add:
- The green tutor package (Worldly Tutor, Sylvan Tutor etc)
- Taiga (when you can ocf)
- Red Rituals (Desperate Ritual, Rite of Flame etc.)
- Mana Rocks (Mana Crypt, Mana Vault etc if budget allows)
- Autumn's Veil, Guttural Response, Pyroblast, Red Elemental Blast to ensure Borborygmos sticks
I believe there's a loop to reshuffle the lands discarded through Kozilek, Butcher of Truth I may be hallucinating tho, but if someone finds a way then the double damage + Illusionist's Bracers package can go.
Either way, I'm looking forward to the development of this list :)
4 weeks ago
Thanks for taking the time to look at my list and to give me some suggestions. Did you also see cards you would cut? I hope to return the favor and look at your list when I have some more time on my hands.
About your tips:
- Storm Cauldron: this was in the first version of the deck but I removed it at some point for it being too situational. However, the "too hilarious not to play" argument is strong. I will reconsider this card ;).
- Champion of Lambholt: a good card for sure. However, I do not consider it a must play as I don't want to push the token stuff too far. Also, for tokens I prefer surprise effects over build-up ones.
- Genesis Wave: yes, I love this card as well. I did not put it in because I thought I played quite some non-permanent cards. But I checked, and I'm at 14 right now, which is actually not that high. I will consider adding the wave to this list.
Again, thanks for your time
4 weeks ago
Hi there, love the deck. I run a Mina and Denn landfall deck myself -> Mina and Denn's Wild Adventure Please check it out if you don't mind.
Have you considered Storm Cauldron? It allows you to land lands more landily, bounces your lands for you with minimal efforts, and can really disrupt your opponents' strategies all by itself. It might be a bit tricky to use, but I've loved the card as I find it too hilarious not to use.
Since you play a lot of tokens, what about Champion of Lambholt? She herself can get massively huge with just a few creature drops and in turn makes your creatures incredibly hard to block. I usually will play her and Avenger of Zendikar off of a Tooth and Nail for an instantly huge board.
Last suggestion: Genesis Wave. I don't know how big into the ramp game you are as much as the "shuffle-lands-around-constantly" game but with a couple of haste effects, Genesis Wave is an easy way to drop a bunch of lands and threats all at once.
Anyways, love it, glad to see it. Keep it going.
1 month ago
My personal favorites are commanders like Patron of the Moon or Kefnet the Mindful, taking fringe cards like Flooded Shoreline, Floodbringer, Storm Cauldron, and Overburden and making them more viable. In a sense, Nekusar, the Mindrazer is kind of similar, as it takes good cards (like Wheel of Fortune) and gives them purpose.
2 months ago
jtbell1221, Storm Cauldron is a decent card. If I decide to go down the route of adding Decree of Annihilation, I'll probably add Storm Cauldron along with it and even go as far as adding Static Orb to the mix.
2 months ago
if you pair Storm Cauldron with Omnath, Locus of Rage and a bit of ramp so that you have lots of land in hand some awaken cards turn your land in elemental creatures, then kill your lands while you have Darksteel Forgeand Crucible of Worlds out you just slapped someone on the face with your land.
2 months ago
Hey thanks VesuvanDoppelbanger, I've been thinking about Sakura-Tribe Scout & Skyshroud Ranger for a while. Just haven't gotten a chance to get my hands on them. I definitely want to test them out. Overburden sounds hilarious, and I'm definitely getting my hands on a Storm Cauldron.
Can't wait to test these out. Thanks.
2 months ago
Some ways to push what you're already doing: