Light Up the Stage
Spectacle (You may cast this spell for its spectacle cost rather than its mana cost if an opponent lost life this turn.)
Exile the top two cards of your library. Until the end of your next turn, you may play those cards.
|Have (2)||abritt , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Light Up the Stage Discussion
1 week ago
Hi Profet93 and thank you so much for your valuable input on my Norin deck! He is by far one of my favorite commanders. I get t he impression you have been running Norin for some time considering all of the recommendations you have provided me.
I will do my best to address each item:
Yes the Hero's Blade was in there just for that reason but in recent play I have found that it has not provided me with enough value to warrant it remaining in the deck. I also was running equipment protection with Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots, but again the value was not there. Sure they would protect the extra creatures in the deck but did not provide a step forward in the game. I have since removed these and have added one of your recommendations. Heat Shimmer and Dualcaster Mage. These two plus Imperial Recruiter seemed like the right changes considering the Recruiter can fetch virtually half of the creatures in the deck . The additional win con is a nice touch as well.
I find with such a low mana curve I have not run into mana issues. I will also be removing Shadowspear as well adding in Smoke as well as Gauntlet of Power. the mana ramp will assist with the low mana rate as well.
So far out of 18 games I have played Norin as won a Whopping 14! This has come from a variety of ways with ETB Purphoros, God of the Forge, Genesis Chamber, Repercussion + Blasphemous Act or mass creature damage with Glacial Chasm on board. nominal creature damage and of course politics. Norin never really feels like a threat to anyone until he goes off. Evenly depleting everyone for damage without being the aggressor.
some of the items you recommended like Lightning Bolt / Outpost Siege do not tickle my fancy due to the singular damage. I prefer equal damage for political reasons and the simple fact that 1 damage per ETB is not enough for my liking.
Now Terror of the Peaks is on order for me already and Ruby Medallion and Sensei's Divining Top are both great suggestions that I will be scouting out additional copies to add to Norin. Very valuable recommendations!
I Prefer the Curse over the Sword due to the low CMC and lack of equip cost. The Wheel of Misfortune is also a quality suggestion and an extra wheel effect that could prove valuable mid to late game. Light Up the Stage and Ignite the Future do seem good. I did consider them during my initial build but leaned towards Stolen Strategy for the repeat effect. Most games I hold onto Warstorm Surge and Confusion in the Ranks for both their high CMC and lack of board utility. I might give your two suggestions another kick at the can!
I do have an extra Crucible of Worlds on tap that I could use and that coupled with fetches could trim down the deck thoughout the game. I like your idea on this.
I have no budget for this deck so i am also considering the better more powerful Gauntlet of Might but having trouble locating one! My playgroup is ULTRA aggressive hence the style of this build.
All in all I am having loads of fun with Norin. He is slowly becoming my most played deck and with some of these suggestions I am looking forward to seeing how they fair in battle!
I thank you for your beefy comment and time you took with the recommendations my friend. When I have some free time I will check out your profile and decks. Return the favor you gave me :) Cheers!
2 weeks ago
- What is the point of Hero's Blade? Attach it to Norin while you have warstorm surge for extra damage?
- Extraplanar Lens doesn't seem too impactful in this build, with only 16 (15 after exile) mountains, I can't see how it's potential benefit outweighs it's vast cost of putting you down one land and benefiting your opponents
- You have such a low land count, even counting your artifact ramp, do you feel yourself struggling for lands if you can't get one of your draw engines such as skullclamp and tome of legends?
- How do you win, are your options either Insurrection hoping they have bombs on the field or MLD while hoping to have one of 3 enchantments that deal damage upon ETB, am I missing something? I also see the reiterate + mana gyser combo, what mana dump do you use, or do you just dump your hand?
- Terror of the Peaks - You're running warstorm surge which is more expensive, albeit, harder to remove. I feel the redundancy is needed in Norin.
- Sensei's Divining Top - Helpful to smooth out draws and overall utility.
- Ruby Medallion - Seems helpful in a build like this, even with 20% of your cards being artifacts
- Sword of the Animist - Potentially a bit slow for your tastes, but ensuring land drops is nice. Best part is, Norin exiles himself from combat after swinging (yes, he gets scared of his own shadow) so the only downside is the re-equip cost. Might be worth considering
- Curse of Opulence - Ramp and politics, what's not to like?
- Outpost Siege - Draw when you need or damage when your hand is full. I think this should take over dingus egg, but I suppose thats meta dependent as you do have a lot of wipes
- Light Up the Stage/Ignite the Future - Both are worth considering as the cards can be played on the following turn as opposed to the same turn. I think light up the stage is better in a build like yours
- Wheel of Misfortune - Draw and politics
- Lightning Bolt - Always bluff removal for cheap
- Deflecting Swat - While we will rarely have our commander on board, I find it's potential to be worth taking a look at ..... Counter counterspells, redirect targetted draw, extra turns, removal, etc... very versatile and potentially for free.
- Dualcaster Mage + Heat Shimmer - Classic combo, both pieces valuable on their own and provides another win condition.
- Not a serious suggestion at all, but myconsith lattice is really fun with your artifact removal, goblin welder, dockside, etc...
- Do you have enough basics to warrant ruination, or is that meta dependent?
- A note regarding confusion in the ranks, just wanna make sure you're aware that it triggers on itself, meaning, if an opponent has an enchantment, you switch control upon ETB. Many people miss that, it has saved me from many games (nice omniscience you got there)
- On it's best and worst days, how does this deck play? With such little lands, some of which don't produce mana (unless you have blood moon effects). With all of your MLD, I'm surprised you don't run Crucible of Worlds, given that it synergizes with buried ruin as well. Moreover, if you added fetchlands and sensei's top (not suggesting, just noting), you can use crucible for guaranteed land drops and top with fetches to manipulate your top deck.
- Meta? Budget per card?
I know it's a wall of text but I love Norin and enjoy playing him, albeit, differently than an optimized player like yourself. Please do let me know what you think of each suggestion as I would like to pick your brain about the most brave commander in all of MTG!
3 weeks ago
Much as I like Light Up the Stage, it doesn't mix well with Thunderous Wrath, because if you get thunderous wrath from light up the stage, you now have to hard cast it or lose it entirely, since it's miracle cost can't be played- That's not a good look. And, as much as I Really Love Thunderous Wrath, that's kind of the problem with it: you can't use it to it's best if you're using card draw (or in this case, card exile). It's a great burn spell, but burn decks need card advantage to keep getting these one shot spells, to hold up pressure on the opponent and eventually win. I found with my burn deck that I had to choose one or the other, and I chose card advantage and a great number of other burn spells (many of which, sadly, aren't as cool).
1 month ago
You say this is Burn -- is this intended to be aggressive? Cause this isn't aggressive.
1 month ago
Is there anything in particular you want to do with the deck? If you want to go more creature heavy there was a 2020 challenger deck called "cavalcade charge" that had really good bones for an aggro direct damage deck. It has a lot of damage options, creature options, and things like Light Up the Stage that are invaluable for this kind of deck. Especially if you need to use bolts on creatures, card draw will always be your Achilles' heel. Though it wouldn't probably play very well with Thunderous Wrath
I don't know, I'm no expert on burn decks for sure. Just figured I'd mention that challenger deck if you wanted to look it up for ideas on what was popular in mono-red recently.
2 months ago
EJ!! Let's do this! This build is already tight, but here are my thoughts\suggestions...
Cards I'd consider cutting: Seize the Spoils, Reckless Endeavor, Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast, Poison the Cup, Vengeful Reaper, Dream Devourer, Replicating Ring, Ward of Bones, Darksteel Forge, the flip tibalt guy, Ash Barrens, Cryptic Caves, Darksteel Citadel, Foreboding Ruins, Mortuary Mire, Zhalfirin Void
Cards I'd consider adding: Light Up the Stage, Chaos Wand, You Find Some Prisoners, Reckless Fireweaver, Valakut Exploration, Rakdos Charm, Murderous Rider, Praetor's Grasp, Rakdos Signet, Bojuka Bog, Luxury Suite, Blood Crypt, Haunted Ridge, Smoldering Marsh, Dragonskull Summit, Bloodstained Mire, Temple of Malice
I would also suggest swapping Red Elemental Blast for Pyroclasm... seems silly, but pyroclasm can be cast even if there are no blue targets. So may not be relevant, but could be randomly at some point.
3 months ago
I believe your land count is a hair on the low side. Referencing this nice little article on mana math, linked below , 21 lands has you missing your 3rd land drop like 12-17% of the time. You have tons of 3 drops and some even more expensive spells, so in those games, you're REALLY hurting.
My thought is this: very often, Light Up the Stage is going to be played early to try to find a land drop. I would suggest that you simply replace them with utility lands. 23-24 lands is much more comfortable. More Castle Locthwain, Hive of the Eye Tyrant, or Den of the Bugbear all seem like excellent lands that you'll be happy to draw and keep the curve of your early turns smooth.
3 months ago
I always found sunforger better in decks like feather (mine does not run it to mana expensive for the payoff) or Firesong and Sunspeaker style decks they get more use
The best equipment are Sword of Fire and Ice it draws and if you have double strike and hit twice you get two triggers and Sword of Feast and Famine untapping extra mana then you pair it with Aggravated Assault yea unlimited combat is possible and note the swords have protection
Auras are always worse than equipment with few exceptions because they just blow up your creature and they are gone example of exception Rancor.
In boros you are limited on card draw but it is way better than the old days. You are better off looting or exiling to dig through your deck than trying to use sunforger
Sunbird's Invocation Cascade light but dam I gotten so much value from this card people have to use their removal on it all the time.
I also like Furious Rise in these style of decks I run it in my Samut deck.
You can always leverage Monarch white has always had it but red has some monarch triggers as while now and you are going to be combat oriented so you have that to explore for more card draw.
I would also think about Sigarda's Aid it helps a lot
Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist would great in a deck like that as while