Printings View all
|From the Vault: Annihilation (V14)||Mythic Rare|
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Return all permanents to their owners' hands.
3 months ago
Just for reference, this is the entire ban list for oathbreaker.
Ad Nauseam , Ancestral Recall , Balance , Biorhythm , Black Lotus , Channel , Doomsday , Emrakul, the Aeons Torn , Expropriate , Fastbond , Gifts Ungiven , Griselbrand , High Tide , Library of Alexandria , Limited Resources , Lion's Eye Diamond , Mana Crypt , Mana Geyser , Mana Vault , Mox Emerald , Mox Jet , Mox Pearl , Mox Ruby , Mox Sapphire , Natural Order , Painter's Servant , Panoptic Mirror , Primal Surge , Primeval Titan , Recurring Nightmare , Saheeli, the Gifted , Sol Ring , Sundering Titan , Sway of the Stars , Sylvan Primordial , Time Vault , Time Walk , Tinker , Tolarian Academy , Tooth and Nail , Trade Secrets , Upheaval , Worldfire , and Yawgmoth's Bargain .
3 months ago
Making all cards one color has a variety of niche combos that do busted things:
- Painter's Servant + Iona, Shield of Emeria was a spell lock. One of the reasons it was banned in the first place.
- Painter's Servant + Grindstone is effectively, ": Target player loses the game," and can go in any deck.
- Painter's Servant + Hibernation is basically Upheaval , another card banned in EDH. Since this version is so cheap and an instant you can cast Hibernation in response to your own spell, and then win the game with whatever problem creature you have on an empty field. It's also as easy to tutor as Dramatic Scepter.
- Painter's Servant + Deathgrip = Off color repeatable counterspells (there's a green version of this enchantment I can't remember).
- Painter's Servant + Compost = Makes you draw anytime any card touches your opponent's yard.
- Painter's Servant + Animar = Protection from everything.
- Painter's Servant + Teysa, Orzhov Scion = Extra Darkest Hour for sac loops.
Anyway, none of those were the reason Flash Hulk has become more powerful. It's just that Paradox Engine decks were one of the few things in the cEDH meta that could compete with Flash Hulk, so now that it's banned Flash Hulk decks are basically uncontested.
3 months ago
- Upheaval , the deck doesn't ramp hard enough to self-recover
- Mystical Tutor , banned in Duel COmmander anyway
- Steel Wall
4 months ago
8 months ago
Unfortunately, this isn't the place to talk about unbanning cards. Though Cyclonic Rift looks like a one-sided board wipe, the card isn't played as much in cEDH - although it is a bounce spell - most decks would rather use other options ie: lower cost ( Chain of Vapor ) or with the option to also draw cards ( Into the Roil / Blink of an Eye ).
Cyclonic Rift is a very powerful card in casual edh. I would likely only run it in baral, but to each their own. Some staxier decks run it. Upheaval on the other hand is quite unbalanced - and if fastbond was also unbanned - I'm sure that we would see tatyova decks & Gitrog decks on the rise. However - Upheaval is quite rightfully banned (as it's stupid).
Sheldon is the overseer of the list, but it's likely that with all of the new members of the committee for edh that we will see some unbannings, new ideas etc.
8 months ago
I mean, look, it's not like the EDH ban list is specifically constructed with cEDH in mind--a lot of is just dedicated to banning really expensive cards that wouldn't break the format but would give no one any reason to play anything else ( Ancestral Recall ), or annoying pubstomp cards people wouldn't stop playing in casual that aren't actually that great ( Sylvan Primordial , Primeval Titan ). Cards like Yawgmoth's Will and Hermit Druid are way better in the format, obviously, but no one seems to care.
That being said, following that logic, why not ban cards like Rhystic Study and Cyclonic Rift ? Rhystic is the format's real Ancestral Recall (if Recall had the added effect of recurring itself on your upkeep unless any player paid 1), and it's not like it's ever been even remotely fun to play against in casual. It's not like the game could really function without staples--just because every white deck (in casual) plays Wrath of God doesn't mean that card is overpowered, but, come on, if you can ban Upheaval , you can ban Cyclonic Rift (it's honestly harder to win with upheaval than with cyclonic rift, and, besides, Obliterate isn't banned, is it)?
1 year ago
Tectonic Edge, Ghost Quarter, Wasteland, Field of Ruin, Unstable Obelisk, Sundering Titan, Lux Cannon, Ark of Blight, Worldslayer, all creatures with Annihilator force sacrifice so could combine with creature bounce to force land sac (Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre)
No data for this card yet.