Creature — Spirit
Flying (This creature can't be blocked except by creatures with flying or reach.)
: Regenerate Will-o'-the-Wisp. (The next time this creature would be destroyed this turn, it isn't. Instead tap it, remove all damage from it, and remove it from combat.)
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
4 days ago
Honorable mention to the OG best blocker Will-o'-the-Wisp
11 months ago
Hey, Vorinclex and Jin-Gitaxias are good cards, but they're definitely not fun or fair cards. These cards may be fun for you, but they're not fun for your opponents. Nice upgrades of Sea-Dasher, Spark, Gemrazer, Brokkos, Expertise, Wake, Tutor, River, Catacomb and Fellwar. You've done well with cutting out most of the cards in the precon that go with Zaxara and not Otrimi. Areas to improve are the manabase, the creatures who you want to first mutate too, tutors, repeatable draw and repeatable recursion.
Cards to consider adding:
- Swiftfoot Boots: hexproof for any creature you control.
- Troll Ascetic: hexproof and regenerate.
- Silhana Ledgewalker: hexproof and potential unblockable.
- Will-o'-the-Wisp: one drop, flying and regenerate.
- Jarad's Orders: creature tutor and put a mutate creature into your graveyard to recur with Otrimi.
- Final Parting: tutor for any card and put a mutate creature into your graveyard to recur with Otrimi.
- Phyrexian Reclamation: more repeatable creature recursion.
- Season of Growth: repeatable draw, draw a card each time you mutate a creature since mutate is cast that targets a creature.
- Primal Empathy: repeatable draw or make mutated creature bigger.
- Yavimaya Coast
- Ash Barrens
- Tainted Wood
The Otrimi precon is very flawed especially the manabase. The problem with the precon manabase which you haven't changed much is it's not consistent enough to make turn four to cast Otrimi. To do this you want an equal amount of each color and the precon manabase has an overwhelming amount of green compared to blue and black. The large amount of green is for one card Predator Ooze which is a good card with Otrimi, but not good enough to build the manabase around. You've cut Ooze which was a good move, but keeping with the overall precon manabase isn't helping your deck. A change to the manabase to consider is cutting Forests and adding more Islands and other dual lands.
Hexproof is very good with mutate because if the creature you're mutating too has hexproof it can't be killed by targeted removal in response to mutating or after it mutates. When you're doing a lot of mutating with one creature without hexproof it's risky because one removal spell by an opponent will kill or exile all the creatures in the mutate pile. Swiftfoot Boots equipped makes any creature you control have hexproof and Boots doesn't unequip if the creature mutates. The top creature of the mutate pile will have hexproof protecting the entire pile from targeted removal.
Regeneration is another excellent ability with mutate and it's not as annoying for your opponents since they can target a creature with regenerate. If any creature in the mutate pile has regeneration then the entire pile does just like hexproof. Regeneration protects the mutated creature from all removal except exile and bounce. It's especially helpful against board wipes that let the creature regenerate and combat where regeneration saves the mutate creature from lethal combat damage.
Good luck with your deck.
11 months ago
Flood is a trap I always fall into; as I always forget that the activation is more expensive than the CMC. Still a perfectly-flavored card. <3
11 months ago
Here are my favorites per color, and of course, colorless!:
Now, as I mentioned, there are plenty staples I didn't mention, here are some of the less common, more budget cards. If you want a list of all the dorks, draw engines, etc. that are at 1 cmc and should be run, just ask!
1 year ago
Some suggestions from me:
- Thalakos Seer is strong with ninjutsu
- Will-o'-the-Wisp has evasion but is also a good blocker
- Whispersilk Cloak gives evasion and shroud
- Shadowmage Infiltrator is also a good card
- As additional carddraw you could run Coastal Piracy,Bident of Thassa and/or Reconnaissance Mission
- Command Tower is a must play
- Sword of Vengeance and every equipment that gives first strike are good with ninjutsu because you can use ninjutsu after first strike damage.
1 year ago
Hey, good budget version and interesting description. Nice Demonic Tutor :)
Cards $2 or less each to consider adding:
- Swiftfoot Boots: hexproof protection.
- Shielded by Faith: indestructibility protection.
- Open the Armory: tutor for Boots or Faith.
- Phyrexian Reclamation: repeatable creature recursion.
- Hushbringer: flying/double strike/lifelink Snapdax and major opponent disruption.
- Will-o'-the-Wisp: flying and regenerate protection.
- Vampire Nighthawk: flying/double strike/deathtouch/lifelink Snapdax.
- Adanto Vanguard: indestructibility protection.
- Brightling: bounce protection.
- Tome of Legends: repeatable draw with attacking Snapdax.
- Deafening Silence: powerful opponent disruption with your mutate creature strategies.
- Swords to Plowshares: instant exile a creature for one mana.
- Generous Gift: instant destroy any permanent.
- Caves of Koilos
- Battlefield Forge
- Foreboding Ruins
You want more protection for the creature you mutate too because without protection the mutate creature can be killed in response to being mutated or after. In multiplayer Commander mutate is much more of a problem because there's three or more opponents who could have removal. That's a lot more potential removal you have to deal with than if you were playing 1v1.
Swiftfoot Boots gives the equipped creature hexproof meaning that creature can't be targeted by your opponents removal. Boots is an equipment, it can be equipped to any creature you control and it doesn't leave the battlefield when the equipped creature is removed. Open the Armory is a budget tutor that can get Boots.
Flying and double strike is a good combination to do Commander damage with Snapdax. Hushbringer is powerful disruption in multiplayer Commander since it prevents all creatures who have an enter the battlefield ability that triggers and any creature who has a dies ability that triggers. These two types of triggers are ways for players to gain a lot of value from creatures. Hushbringer is not going to affect you much since mutating is not an enter the battlefield trigger it's a cast trigger thus Hushbringer doesn't prevent mutating.
Will-o'-the-Wisp is a one drop flying creature who can regenerate. This little Spirit can be powerful with mutate. Brightling is a unique creature with mutate since you can bounce it as well as all creatures that are mutated back to your hand. This is pseudo protection because you can activate Brightling in response to opponents removal. By bouncing all the creatures that are mutated then you can mutate them all again getting more value out of mutate.
When Snapdax dies you can choose to spend it to your graveyard instead of putting it back into the Command Zone. This gets around having to pay Commander tax for Snapdax and the tax must be paid even if you're mutating Snapdax from the Command Zone which can be problematic. When Snapdax goes to your graveyard then you can recur it with cards that recur creatures from your graveyard. Phyrexian Reclamation is very good repeatable recursion at instant speed for mutate creatures because you want the creature to come back to your hand to then cast it again to mutate again.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Vivid Marsh
- 2x Mountain
- Offspring's Revenge
- Parasitic Impetus
- Shiny Impetus
- Species Specialist
- Duskfang Mentor
- Frillscare Mentor
- Keensight Mentor
- Tentative Connection
- Bad Deal
- Avenging Huntbonder
- Mysterious Egg
Good luck with your deck.
1 year ago
I like the theme and the card choices.
Found directly something for my skeleton themed deck: Artificer's Hex
- Maybe From Under the Floorboards would be a on theme zombie addition.
- A bit pricey and sadly banned in commander but in a gimmick deck I would play it: Recurring Nightmare
- Very pricey, but cool art: All Hallow's Eve
- For Will-o'-the-Wisp i would prefer the old artwork, but that's just my opinion ;-)
+1 from me. Really cool deck.
1 year ago
I like the build thus far- not going to do much else with it. Will probably make a more competitive(ish) infect version down the road Cold-Eyed Selkie included. I like Plaxcaster Frogling and Will-o'-the-Wisp, but find it hard to cut anything else here especially since i have Asceticism- Any suggestions welcome.