|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Angel
Flying Battalion (Whenever Firemane Avenger and at least two other creatures attack, Firemane Avenger deals 3 damage to target creature or player and you gain 3 life.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (28)||xpsychovampx , Pelli , Dr_Jay , duff87 , nakni , KingOfGrixis , marcus638 , Suns_Champion , LegendDeer , AyyAyyRon , TThors , CampbellStev , mziter501 , Wolfebladeelite , Va1mar , rakdos24 , goodair , bradyofportdetroit , redlegs_17 , Lindough , LoneCrusader399 , Friedrice24 , joshw335 , frederiklw , gildan_bladeborn , philktoken8998 , warcry02 , Pylioz|
|Want (4)||DreamDarkly , cainanunes , Talonisnthavingit , rco|
Firemane Avenger Discussion
3 months ago
Hey I am long time Aurelia player. Your list is looking pretty solid but I have few changes that I would recommend.
Cut Sram, Senior Edificier low equipment count deck hes not great. Figure of Destiny its a great card but it just takes up too much mana for what it does. Kor Cartographer doesn't have enough board impact for my liking, solemn is ok to keep though. Cataclysm and Obliterate are generally difficult to get into the right situation for, but you can keep them if they work well in your meta. Legion's Initiative and Sigarda's Aid are just never as good as I want them to be. I also wouldn't run Ajani Vengeant hard to protect and just doesn't do that much. Staff of Nin is just too much slow and takes up too much tempo.
In:For additions somethings that I like for this style of deck are Glorybringer, Firemane Avenger, Sunscorch Regent, Steelshaper's Gift, Magus of the Wheel is nice for card draw. Sulfurous Blast and Comeuppance are mvp sunforger targets for me.
If youre looking for more ways to achieve infinite combat steps: Aggravated Assault with either Neheb, the Eternal or Sword of Feast and Famine are usually sure fire ways to do it. You can also mix eldrazi displacer in there, its not as efficient but if you're looking for redundancy it helps.
My 2 best Aurelia decks are right here, you can check them out for inspiration.
Hope these help!
4 months ago
It comes to my mind more suff that trigger when you attack Captain's Claws, Goblin Rabblemaster, Hero of Bladehold, Brimaz, King of Oreskos, Launch the Fleet, Soltari Champion, Accorder Paladin, Goblin Wardriver, Hero of Oxid Ridge, Wingmate Roc, Frontline Medic, Firemane Avenger.
Or when they deal combat damage Prophetic Flamespeaker Skeleton Key, Mask of Memory, Rogue's Gloves, Specter's Shroud, Destructive Urge, Markov Blademaster, Slith Ascendant, Blinding Angel, Falkenrath Marauders and any of the "sword of A and B".
I'm always looking for a Boros deck to run the Sunforger too bad you have so few instants.
Card draw is hard in Boros, so I'd also try to use Staff of Nin, The Immortal Sun together with the Ghirapur Orrery you already included.
I hope you find something useful among these cards.
4 months ago
I am a long time Aurelia player, and Ive play tested almost every card you've listed above at some point or another. Your deck is in pretty good shape, but theres few picks that I'm not in love with. I'll give you the cards to cut, then ill make some recommendations of some good options to fill with.
Agrus Kos, not enough impact for 5 mana.
Bane of Bala Ged, its just too inefficient, they will exile tokens or lands.
Hellkite charger, you already have access to a more efficient version of this effect.
Mind's eye, this deck will tap out its mana every turn and isn't going to really hold up mana until much later in the game so its just too slow.
I cant imagine that you've had good results with pyretic ritual and seething song, let me know if you have though.
Titan's Strength, I know theres always the 1 hit dream but its a dead card otherwise.
Maybe out: You can cut them if you have much better options to come in, but if you don't they are perfectly ok to stay in.
Godo Bandit Warlord. hes ok, not the best not the worst.
Emerge Unscathed. Reasonable effect, I run Teferi's Protection in this slot
World At War. Ive struggled to live the world at war dream, and you already have access to multiple combats.
Firemane Avenger easy include. throw lightning helixes everywhere.
Neheb, the Eternal its a good creature, ramp, and combos with aggravated assault
Mask of Memory this is your primary card draw. tutor it up
Sunforger straight up the best card you can add, wins games on its own
Mistveil Plains supports sunforger. recommend some cheap mirage fetchlands to get it more consistently
Umezawa's Jitte is in your maybeboard. If you already own it, I would add it but its a little pricey.
Sunscorch Regent ridiculous beat stick and life gainer.
Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer solid pick since you run a lot of artifacts, if games run longer. If games end consistently on turns 6-8 you may not have time to get metalcraft going. But if youre games go 10 turns, id include.
Anyway theres my picks for what should come out, and some great suggestions for what should come in.
You can check out some of my builds here if you'd like.
I have more in my decks, but these are the 2 most relevant. Hope you enjoy.
7 months ago
I know it goes against the flavor of your deck however Battalion creatures also benefit from Iroas. Odric, Master Tactician, Firemane Avenger, Frontline Medic, Legion Loyalist, and Tajic, Blade of the Legion all seem good. Other than Loyalist everything is budget.
7 months ago
Cards I think are very good in this deck:
Blade of Selves, Sunbird's Invocation, Nahiri, the Harbinger - These synergize with your game plan of casting a bunch of big Angels and beating down with them. They're also just individually powerful cards.
Cards I would heavily consider cutting:
- Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit - While the deck has a lot of nontoken creatures, most of the counters will end up on utility creatures, not Angels, and you don't have any synergy with +1/+1 counters.
- Blaze Commando - You have 5 total sorcery spells that deal damage, and all but Disaster Radius and Meteor Blast kill all your Elementals (and probably the Commando). It just isn't a fit for this deck.
- Firemane Angel - This card is just a lot of mana for an underwhelming creature. It's recursive, but you already have Defy Death and Gift of Immortality to recur creatures, and you're running so many big creatures that it's not a huge concern.
- Firemane Avenger - I'm not super sure on this one (it might be alright), but it feels very low-impact, and if you can attack with three creatures safely, you're probably in a position where you don't need a free Lightning Helix. This is probably one of the last cuts to make.
- Flamewright - This card just isn't doing anything this deck wants.
- Fumiko the Lowblood - Maybe I'm wrong, but this just doesn't seem like an effect this deck needs, especially after cutting the Humans side of the deck.
- Glory-Bound Initiate - Again, just too low-impact for Commander.
- Goldnight Castigator - I misremembered this one - it's not as good as I thought it was. Probably too low-impact, and dangerous (it puts a big target on your head when you take double damage).
- Hanweir Lancer - Do you really need first strike when all your creatures are probably better than anything your opponents will likely have? It beats deathtouch, but so does indestructible, and that also protects the creature from removal. We can do better.
- Hero of Oxid Ridge - Are 1-power creatures blocking Angels that often? Probably not. Without that relevant clause, this is a 4/2 with battle cry - not very relevant for a big creature deck. And it's not on theme.
- Iroas's Champion - See Glory-Bound Initiate.
- Jareth, Leonine Titan - This card is okay, but we can probably fill this slot with a better creature for the deck. One of the last cuts, most likely.
- Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer - This effect is powerful, but we aren't heavy on artifacts, so metalcraft is unreliable, and we aren't a deck that can make the best use out of it.
- Odric, Lunarch Marshal - We can get something very similar with Angelic Skirmisher, which is an Angel and does something on an empty board.
- Shepherd of the Lost - See Glory-Bound Initiate.
- Skyknight Legionnaire - See you-know-what.
- Sun Titan - This guy is awesome, but he's not likely to bring back much of value in a deck filled to the brim with big Angels.
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar - Is this an effect this deck really wants? If it is, Blind Obedience is an enchantment that hits artifacts instead of nonbasics, and also extorts (It is legal in this deck).
- Truefire Paladin See...yawn
- Victory's Herald - We're an ANGEL deck! We don't need to give our creatures FLYING! In all seriousness, this is very redundant with a deck made up of 30% fliers, 30% support spells, and 40% mana.
- Deathrender - This card is just kinda expensive and difficult to use, and it only lets us cheat out Angels we can just cast anyway.
- Banishing Light - This is a small upgrade, but Grasp of Fate is probably just better.
- Citadel Siege - This card draws a bunch of hate, but isn't so impactful it wins us the game (like Sunbird's Invocation). We can do much better.
- Curse of the Nightly Hunt - Like Fumiko the Lowblood, I'm not convinced we want this effect.
- Faith's Fetters - I'd rather run something more like Banishing Light as enchantment-based removal, because it deals with static abilities like, for example, Angel of Invention.
- Battle Hymn - This card is both really awkward (makes red mana when most of our expensive stuff is white) and not actually going to produce much mana outside of a token deck. We really don't need an effect like this one.
- Martial Glory - Our creatures are already big, so do we really need a combat trick to make them good? I don't think so.
- Ancient Amphitheater - We aren't running Giant tribal, so this is just a worse Wind-Scarred Crag 95% of the time. I'd rather run a basic, or a Reliquary Tower or something.
- Evolving Wilds, Terramorphic Expanse, Vivid Crag, Vivid Meadow - We're a 2-color deck - we really don't need to run what amount to tapped basics most of the time.
Cards I'm unsure about:
- The token cards: Adriana, Captain of the Guard, Sunhome Guildmage, Assemble the Legion, Cathars' Crusade - These cards are all great (and gave me an idea for a deck to build) but I don't think they're a fit for this deck. Either expand on the token plan, or cut these.
- Emancipation Angel - I don't think we need this? If it had flash, I'm all for it, but as it is I don't think we want to bounce our expensive creatures.
- Thalia's Lancers - I don't think we have enough legendary permanents that this is worth playing. If you end up adding more, then go for it.
- Meteor Blast - We're running white - we can get less expensive one-sided boardwipes, I feel.
- Nevermore - If we end up running ways to tutor up enchantments, this is a great silver bullet answer to almost anything, but even in that case, I think Gideon's Intervention is better most of the time. Maybe you run both?
Cards I recommend:
- "Voltron" cards - Since Anya can easily become indestructible and is already evasive, she's a good candidate for winning with commander damage. Loxodon Warhammer is already in the deck, as is Lightning Greaves, so we've got a head start. Some cards I'd recommend are:
- Swiftfoot Boots - Basically Lightning Greaves, but you can target the creature. If you intend to pile a bunch of equipment on Anya this is probably a better option.
- Grappling Hook - Gives Anya double strike, as well as helping you get rid of problem creatures (Remember Anya has flying, so a nonflier can't block her).
- Argentum Armor - Much like the Hook, this makes Anya a serious threat while helping deal with problematic permanents.
- Assault Suit - Get Anya attacking on everyone else's turns, too!
- Champion's Helm - Protects Anya while also making her big.
- Godsend - A bit pricy, but discourages opponents from attacking into or blocking Anya, and a combo with Grappling Hook
- Inquisitor's Flail - Anya's indestructible, so this card's downside is completely meaningless.
- Pariah's Shield - When equipped to Anya, this basically makes you invincible.
- Puresteel Paladin - If you go hard on the Equipment theme, this guy will put in work. Probably not the best if you stick with Angels, though.
- Stoneforge Masterwork - This one should be obvious.
- Steelshaper's Gift - Again, if you go deep with Equipment, consider this.
- Sword of the Animist - Ramp sword? Ramp sword.
- Sword of Vengeance - Give Anya every keyword ever printed on a creature. And +2/+0!
- Worldslayer - This one is just to silly to not bring up.
- Herald's Horn - Makes your Angels cheaper, and helps you draw them.
- Door of Destinies - This should be fairly obvious.
- Kindred Charge - This card will win you games, I guarantee it. Especially with stuff like Angel of Serenity.
- Vanquisher's Banner - Similar to Herald's Horn. Makes your Angels big instead of cheap.
- Angel of Sanctions - Banishing Light on a stick? That you can use twice? Seems good.
- Angel of the Dire Hour - Get 'em! Just don't play this on your combat phase.
- Angelic Skirmisher - Give your team some nice abilities, and on an Angel to boot!
- Archangel of Tithes - Makes life hard for token decks and discourages attacks.
- Aurelia, the Warleader - How are you not already running this? Well, whatever, I won't judge.
- Basandra, Battle Seraph - Prevents opponents getting tricky in combat, and helps deal with problematic utility creatures that are otherwise hard to get rid of.
- Exquisite Archangel - Saves you from death once, which damn well better be enough.
- Karmic Guide - Recurs your big threats which would otherwise rot in your graveyard forever.
- Linvala, Keeper of Silence - A hefty price tag, but an upgrade to think about. Completely shuts down powerful utility creatures and mana dorks (it doesn't care whether the ability is a mana ability).
- Platinum Angel - You literally can't lose. The purpose is obvious, although the target on your head is just as visible.
- Reya Dawnbringer - Basically a repeated Karmic Guide - who wouldn't love to make their Angels unkillable?
- Twilight Shepherd - Having this card sitting on the battlefield makes nobody want to boardwipe, since you just get all your creatures back anyway.
- Avacyn, Angel of Hope - Expensive, but well worth the price - it's really hard to deal with an indestructible field of anything, let alone big fliers.
- Hour of Devastation - Three mana boardwipes are quite strong, and this card almost always costs three mana in Commander. This one even hits artifacts, enchantments, and planeswalkers!
- Boros Charm - A versatile spell that can save you from a boardwipe, make an Angel a major threat, or just burn someone out of the game, if need be.
- Master Warcraft - Completely blowing out two opponents seems well worth four mana to me! If need be, it can even just be a Fog.
- Wear / Tear - Versatile artifact and enchantment removal.
- Return to Dust - Just like Wear / Tear. I put this one in basically every white deck I make.
- Swords to Plowshares - Spot removal that deals with just about any creature.
- Grand Abolisher - We wouldn't want any pesky blue mages countering our Angels, would we? Also has the upside of preventing combat trickery on your turn.
On the manabase:
I like that you put in so many mana rocks and lands (a lot of first-time deck builders might skimp in this regard) but the colors are a bit strange. You have more red sources than white, despite the fact you have more white cards than red. I would cut a few Mountains and replace them with Plains.
Obviously you can't run all of these recommendations, but pick the ones you like the best to fill the empty slots. Overall, I quite like the premise of the deck, but it could use a lot of polish.
8 months ago
I didn't think Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip would be my best option, its just a cool card that is cheap. Gideon, Ally of Zendikar is an awesome card. I will have to try to find one of those, but I'm perfectly fine with just going with my Gideon, Martial Paragon until I can get my hands on one, especially since it costs 1/4 the price. I was already thinking of dropping the Firemane Avenger and Viashino Firstblade for the Legion Loyalists, so it is even better that you suggested the same. I think I kept those cards over others before because they go with my Legion's Initiative, but I have a lot of dual color creatures and taking 2 away for the Legion Loyalist isn't a big deal, because it still gets the +1/+0 and exile all creature cards. Is the 2nd ability of Legion's Initiative so that I can prevent damage to my creatures for a turn if I don't have Iroas, God of Victory preventing all damage?
I tend to not want to spend more than $15 on any single card, so it will be a while before I purchase some Aether Vial. Thanks for suggesting that card and also knowing that it is out of my price range at the moment. I hate it when someone suggests cards that cost twice the amount of my entire deck because they clearly didn't see how the deck was constructed.
Thanks for all of the help! It has been greatly appreciated.
8 months ago
I'm not huge on Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip here, mainly due to the fact that I'm not sure you need him or even want him to flip. Honestly the best walker for this deck is Gideon, Ally of Zendikar but Martial Paragon in my opinion can be a decent top end. Zendikar would give you a ton more options, with tokens, anthem, and relevant attacker all being functions. Ajani Vengeant can be cool but lends itself more to mardu superfriends in my opinion.
Back to Kytheon however, he is a decent one drop being above curve and having the ability to have indestructible but once he flips what is his function, with Iroas, God of Victory you shouldn't be too bothered with indestructible, the +2 is an underwhelming version of the same ability seen on the original Gideon, and he isn't the best attacker, you can definitely make a case for him being above curve and all but honestly I think there are better options.
Also, I would drop Firemane Avenger and Viashino Firstblade for Legion Loyalist if you use it; and secondly, this is not a suggestion for right now as something I think needs to be added but as you move forward with the deck Aether Vial is a good card to keep in mind as something maybe months or years from now you may want to invest in.
10 months ago
if you need some life gain Firemane Avenger is good.