I have been in love with the golgari spoilers, and really wanted to make a deck out of them. This deck utilizes its grave synergy without depending on it.
My favorite cards in here are Lotleth Troll + Corpsejack Menace. You can really make your troll ugly with the menace out. In topdeck mode and topdeck'd a Slitherhead? For discarding it you get 4 +1/1 counters. That s a deal for me. Also Strangleroot Geist comes back as a 4/3! For only 2 mana!
The scavenge mechanic is great, and I am looking forward to seeing how this deck pans out in the upcoming meta!
Please +1 and comment! Both are greatly appreciated.
I have been working on a similar deck and thought I would give you some wonderful suggestions.
- It is low costing and goes with your colors.
- It makes it very easy for Vraska the Unseen to kill a player with the assassin tokens seeing as they could no longer block all three.
- Use it on your Troll, swing, regenerate Troll, split the damage up 1 to as many creatures as possible, kill there untapped creatures and still keep your Troll, flash back to do it again when needed.
- Supreme Verdict can't be countered? The Charm's regenerate ability will counter it.
- The -1/-1 will under most circumstances never kill your creatures.
- The destroy target enchantment is sugar on top. :D
- It looks wicked.
September 20, 2012 8:11 a.m.
Edit: I thought it said must be blocked by all creatures. My mistake. :L
September 20, 2012 8:15 a.m.
Three major issues that are going to bite you here. -1) There's essentially zero removal. Outside of Vraska the Unseen 's -3 ability or Abrupt Decay , you cannot deal with any threats to you on the board. I get you're going aggro-ish here, but one well timed Supreme Verdict and you might as well scoop. With the number of removal options available in black/green, you at least need some in the sideboard. Murder , Prey Upon , Bone Splinters , something... otherwise if they drop a 4 CMC you could also be up the creek.
2) Flying defense? This comes either via some flyers (i.e. Vampire Nighthawk ) or some added removal. Sadly we have to plan around Delver of Secrets Flip and as much as we're going to be helped by the rotation, decks with it still just soar over your creatures to hit you. Abrupt Decay takes down the delver, but Restoration Angel and others will just run you into the ground.
3) No added drawing. If there's one way to ensure consistency and versatility in a deck, it is to keep drawing cards. card:Altar's Reap, Sign in Blood , and Underworld Connections are all options to run with here.
I hope those help. Good luck with it!
September 21, 2012 11:53 a.m.
Thanks for the input docflock and TywooOne.
Now Ty, I agree with some of what you say, and I had thought about all these concerns and hearing it from another person makes me quite convinced it needs a little bit of tweaking.
1.) For removal, I feel that I'm not too far behind on it. Vraska is in there mainly for her -3, the ability to use it twice as well as being an alternate win condition if things are getting just about even. 5/36 non-land removal isn't too shabby in an aggro deck, but I might consider adding 2 Bone Splinters because sometimes, I want my dudes to go to the grave.
2.) Flying defense, the main concern like you said is delver, and since a resto- angel is 4 mana I can occasionally drop a vraska the following turn to knock it out. I may consider adding Vampire Nighthawk as it could benefit from the scavenge ability quite a bit in terms of taking a beating and punishing those without flying defense, and lifelink.
3.) As for card draw, I'm not entirely convinced an aggro type deck needs too much of it. I'll agree more cards are always great, but its not exactly a bad thing to top-deck especially because when your top-decking, hopefully you are a turn or 2 from winning, or else I am more than likely falling into control's game. Grisly Salvage or card:Altar's Reap I am torn between. Altar lets me send someone to the grave, and draw 2 cards which is advantage as well as can be a response to removal. Grisly though gives me card selection, even though it trashes a few others that may be obsolete in the grave.
As for Golgari Charm ? I think its a sideboard card. Maybe 2 mainboard, but most of the effects seem situational, unlike some of the other charms.
September 21, 2012 11:37 p.m.
card:Geralf's Messenger comes back as at least 5/4 with Corpsejack Menace s up.
Had to say it.
September 23, 2012 12:03 a.m.
FRO I thought about that too, but triple black casting cost made me decide against it.
September 23, 2012 12:41 a.m.
I don't see the new guildmage in here, you might want to consider it. The first ability works wonders with vraska's tokens.
September 25, 2012 8:22 a.m.
10 counters with a flashback of 20 counters, if you put it on Lotleth Troll that's GG