Sideboard help for W/U Terminus
Posted on Sept. 10, 2019, 2:26 p.m. by heckproof
I’ve been trying to decide for a while what to sideboard for in my W/U Terminus build, and I’ve got 14 of 15 cards locked down. But I still can’t decide what to put in my slot for Tron. I currently have Ceremonious Rejection in that slot, but Disdainful Stroke seems really decent as well. Here’s my thinking:
-CR is better in Affinity-filled metas. It also comes down faster and hits many Eldrazi.
-DS is good in more matchups, like Scapeshift or control mirrors.
The list, if that helps: NOT A BREW
Mostly Ceremonious Rejection is better, it is great against Affinity, Tron, decent against Whirza, but honestly against the current metagame, running Sphinx seems bad, so does running Baneslayer and Timely. Idk, but I think you could run the both if you want, but I'd run neither. Personally I don't think it is a bad matchup.
Leyline of Sanctity needs to be like 4 slots tho, since burn if everywhere.
September 10, 2019 2:31 p.m.
Thanks for the input! Yeah, I’m a huge fan of the Sphinx, but he is really narrow as far as versatility goes. He’s a nuclear megaton bomb in the mirror but does jack everywhere else. I’ll put in a Disdainful Stroke in his place, with the caveat that he comes back if it’s Stoneforge all day every day meta.
September 10, 2019 5:40 p.m.
I haven't played modern since KCI was a thing, but I used to run both in a fairly diverse meta. There's been times I've run both. There's been times I've run neither. I'd say I've been more happy with ceremonious over a long period of time.
There should be a UW discord floating around somewhere...
September 10, 2019 11:20 p.m.
Thanks a ton, dude! I’ll have to check it out.
September 10, 2019 11:30 p.m.
- I personally am not a big fan of terminus builds, Pre-hoggakk i never used it and probably wont even with the format slowing down. -I do 24 lands (3 Celestals's 4 feild of ruin, flooded srand, 2x shock, 2x fast, 1x delta, 2 plains and the rest islands).
- 4 paths and 1 oust. I filter with 4x opts (might drop for some Sv's) and 3 spell snares with a mana leak
- 4x Snapcasters ( i dont do SFM)
- a timely renforcesments ( it wins games) 3x force of negations.
- I would recommend doing 2 narsets in MB with 2x 3feri. 2 jaces feels about right.
-Its important to play different sweepers to get around cards like meddling mage. People who played terminus from a study i found preformed worse the more copies they ran.
- For SB i reccommend 2x surgicals, 1x veto, 2x distainful, 1x stoney silence (maybe more), 2x Celestial purge (consider cutting), 2x timely reinforcements, 2x monastery mentor, 1x lyra (or baneslayer or both), 2x engineered explosives.
- 3x Commands beacuse vaule and its slower. Theya arent as good in faster times though. I do 1 wrath of god, and one supreme verdict.
September 12, 2019 12:03 p.m.
- I will say a few wall of omens feels really good, it helps absorb early damage like a goblin guide as well as draw a card.
- Counter magic is important and which ones to run are really defendant one what you expect to run into so i recommend looking at those, as well as the SB recommendations i gave.
- If you have other questions or comments I would be happy to hear them out.
September 12, 2019 12:07 p.m.
Hey, thanks for the input. Yes, I know that Terminus probably isn’t the best choice given the meta. That being said, I still really enjoy the playstyle. I might switch over to the more super friends-ish deck of today, though.
A quick question, though: what are your thoughts on Teferi, Hero of Dominaria ? I realize that you probably don’t want more than one in a non-Jeskai build, but I still kinda want one in the main. Is he worth running in W/U?
September 12, 2019 12:42 p.m.
- The more planes walkers you run the worse off you are being they are late game. A lot of our package is getting to late game, and preventing our the other person from recovering. I'd Run maybe 1 or 2 at most. Id probably cut a jace for the 2nd one. I have played to much in the current meta but i do know most people arent running that many of them anymore.
September 12, 2019 3:07 p.m.
It's versatile and honestly I've ran U/W with it MB. Never once regretted it. It's a good catch all.
September 19, 2019 8:13 p.m. Edited.
First off, thanks so much for the reply!
I have considered Runed Halo for some time now, in both builds of W/U Control (I recently switched my build to a more current one, which is good because I hadn’t gotten around to foiling anything but some of the lands.) the main reason why I haven’t is because of vanity. I absolutely despise the art on Runed Halo . It’s almost hilariously ugly, and the fact that such a miserable artwork is on such a great card hurts me physically. I will absolutely run a Runed Halo in the side if they give it a reprint with non-Kithkin cleavage art.
September 20, 2019 1 a.m.
I've had some SERIOUSLY mixed results with halo. It's been insanely garbo and it's also done stuff like utterly hosed a mono red player with a double Eidolon of the Great Revel start.