Scythe of the Wretched
Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature gets +2/+2.
Whenever a creature dealt damage by equipped creature this turn is put into a graveyard, return that card to play under your control. Attach Scythe of the Wretched to that creature.
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
- Fall of the Hammer + Scythe of the Wretched
- Avacyn, the Purifier + Scythe of the Wretched
- Avacyn, the Purifier + Basilisk Collar + Scythe of the Wretched
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Scythe of the Wretched occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
Scythe of the Wretched Discussion
1 month ago
2 months ago
Giver of Runes creates some good protection redundancy. The swords of cycle are great, especially with double strike, but are pretty expensive. Same with scary cards like Enlightened Tutor, Stoneforge Mystic, Teferi's Protection, and Umezawa's Jitte. Again, they are good, but pricey. Scythe of the Wretched, Inquisitor's Flail, O-Naginata, and Nim Deathmantle are all great with Balan. Finally, Leonin Abunas protects your artifacts without having to turn on metalcraft.
5 months ago
6 months ago
Here are a few great includes that I should have mentioned the first time - Scythe of the Wretched to steal creatures you fight, Foe-Razer Regent to get lots of value, Darksteel Plate for protection and nonstop fights, and Frog Tongue for another enchantment cantrip.
As for my own version, I'm leaning toward focusing on the Hydra ability and cutting most of the aura / fight mechanic ability, except for Whip Silk because it's repeatable and just too good not to have. Thanks and good luck!
6 months ago
Kazarov is so cool! Definitely an underrated general. You might like these: Thrashing Wumpus , Pestilence Demon , Scythe of the Wretched , Pyrohemia , Blazing Volley , Boiling Earth , Scouring Sands , Syr Carah, the Bold , Dry Spell , Wail of the Nim , Blade of the Bloodchief , Eternal Thirst , Infernal Genesis , Genesis Chamber , Akroan Horse
6 months ago
This will not return tokens because tokens cease to exist when they hit the graveyard. Here's how this plays out:
The token creature dies and is sent to the graveyard, this triggers Scythe of the Wretched 's ability which waits to go on the stack.
State-based actions are checked and the token ceases to exist (Rules 111.7 and 704.5d). Scythe's ability is then put on the stack.
Scythe's ability resolves, but the token no longer exists and thus cannot be returned to play. As such, the ability has no effect.
111.7. A token that’s in a zone other than the battlefield ceases to exist. This is a state-based action; see rule 704. (Note that if a token changes zones, applicable triggered abilities will trigger before the token ceases to exist.)
704.5d If a token is in a zone other than the battlefield, it ceases to exist.
6 months ago
Do tokens trigger the Scythe of the Wretched graveyard effect and come under my control? I'm never quite sure and I haven't been able to find a good explanation.
7 months ago
I was thinking of building a gwyn deck as well. Here are some cards I think could be cool to run in this deck. Obviously a lot of options.
- Colossus Hammer - this was built for syr gwyn in mind
- Explorer's Scope - ramp, always important
- Heartseeker - with gwyn, tap to kill target creature
- Surestrike Trident - if you have this and Colossus Hammer it reads, each creature taps to deal 10+ damage to an opponent.
- Ogre's Cleaver - cheap artifact and now free equip
- Haunted Cloak
- Infiltration Lens
- Vorrac Battlehorns - if you want to be mean, put this on syr gwyn
- Loxodon Warhammer
- Chariot of Victory
- Fleetfeather Sandals
- Moonsilver Spear - doesn't fit the theme but flying angels are always fun
- Scythe of the Wretched - this plus Grappling Hook means steal any creature you can kill that isn't tapped
- Strata Scythe - pick the best color of the three. keep in mind this includes lands opponents control
- Authority of the Consuls - slow everyone and gain life
- Blind Obedience - slow everyone down while draining them and gaining life
- Brave the Sands - never worry about swinging each turn and make chump blockers able to block two huge creatures
- Sigarda's Aid - just amazing
- Leonin Shikari - not a knight but now you can switch equipment for free in combat before damage is dealt
- Midnight Reaper
- Syr Alin, the Lion's Claw
- Knight of Grace
- Josu Vess, Lich Knight - late game win condition
- Mirran Crusader
- Vona, Butcher of Magan
- Fiendslayer Paladin
- Silverblade Paladin
Required are Syr Gwyn, Hero of Ashvale and Surestrike Trident . Then you can just go down the line of creatures attaching all of your power increasing equipment and tapping them for tons of damage. If you have Leonin Shikari and Brave the Sands out, then you can all out attack and then do the tapping out on the endstep before your turn. If you don't have Surestrike Trident but instead have Heartseeker then you can just kill a creature for each one you control.