If a player would draw a card, that player removes that card from the game face up instead.
Each player may play cards he or she removed from the game with Uba Mask this turn.
Printings View all
|Champions of Kamigawa (CHK)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Uba Mask Discussion
2 days ago
Hey - thanks for your comment! As I mentioned on the other build, I don't think Tinybones has tier-1 cEDH potential, at least not with existing cards. I usually use this database to keep up to date on the meta. As you can see, both of the mono-B decks are fast combo decks. Since Tinybones is technically part of an infinite-mana combo kill with her activated ability, I think it could be a tier-two or surprise deck, but it's hard to expect it to be very consistent when it has to go shields-down so often; "grindy" is not the color identity of mono-B in cEDH.
Once you add more colors, and none of them are blue, the question you have to ask yourself is: why aren't you just running Nath Stax? (Tinybones is in that list, which I'm happy to see!) In cEDH it's often pretty important to have a combo or combo enabler in your Command zone, and Nath is a one-card Stax wonder. Otherwise you're giving up a free card. Tymna is a pretty powerful enabler, but she doesn't do anything for your discard or lock plan.
My other thought is that, in these colors, there's really no reason to waste slots on The Rack-style wincons when you could just as easily slot in a combo. This Tayam deck might be a good jumping-off point, as it's a three-card combo with one card being your Commander. Or, you can run a Razaketh reanimation combo like this partner deck.
I think it's totally possible to run a stax/hatebear-y deck in these colors, but with cEDH you really should think about a more linear and quicker way to win. Even if you have everyone topdecking, when decks are built around value and combo engines in the command zone, it's hard to truly lock anyone out and you need to be able to take advantage of your position. I'd recommend taking out the Rack and Counters synergies and adding a combo and additional hatebears. Here's a deck that is also basically a list of the good white hatebears for the format. Think carefully about the types of wins you just can't fight through, and add those hatebears to the deck. (Uba Mask + Drannith Magistrate, for example, seems like a good lock combination to include.)
Again, not a cEDH expert, but looking at the competing decks in Abzan and Golgari colors is really helpful when considering what you're trying to do.
1 week ago
GW Selvala is a really neat general. You might like these: Uba Mask, Sword of the Paruns, Illusionist's Bracers, Magewright's Stone, Thousand-Year Elixir, Instill Energy, Nature's Chosen, Seeker of Skybreak, Mana Reflection, Nyxbloom Ancient, Alhammarret's Archive, Gauntlets of Light, Wirewood Channeler, Elvish Guidance, Temur Sabertooth, Lightning Greaves
1 week ago
You might like these: Storage Matrix, Ward of Bones, God-Pharaoh's Statue, Destructive Urge, Possessed Portal, Smokestack, Uba Mask, Conquer, Vandalblast, Curse of Opulence, Angel's Trumpet, Silent Arbiter, Bloodthirsty Blade, Rite of Flame, Gratuitous Violence, Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 weeks ago
Apotheosis616. Noted that I need mana rocks. I figured I could use a staxs approach to slow the game long enough to ether tutor my combo or used my mana doublers and ‘X’ spells. Though black has a hards time with that, artifact staxs cards could be used. Would cards like Uba Mask Ward of Bones Trinisphere Damping Engine work?
2 months ago
You tested this deck in tappedout correct?
You should almost never be trying to turbo out the combo, that is not how this deck is played. The deck operates very much like a death and taxes stax deck. The point is to slow the game down to your level, effectively making other players decks not work. They will attempt to spend tutors and interaction on trying to remove your pieces. This slows the game down drastically allowing you to setup your win condition.
Every single card in the deck has been specifically chosen and tested to counter or do a certain thing. For example:
- Suture Priest is a hard counter to food chain decks, kiki combos, inalla combos, dockside loops, and a ton of other cEDH combos. They have to remove this card if they want to win, otherwise, they have to shift to a different win con.
- Juntu Stakes is fantastic into a green meta. For 1 mana it turns off the value of dorks. Making people choose when they want to be explosive because they only get to do it once unless they remove this card (the card also has synergy with cards like Blind Obedience.
- Smuggler's Copter is one of the worst cards in the deck, but we really need the card filtering. It will be removed once another card draw/filter engine is released for white (fingers crossed).
- Uba Mask is technically still in testing. It was a recent addition because it is a hard lock with Drannith Magistrate. This means if you can attack, you win the game. However, the card was added because it counters a lot of meta decks at the moment. For example, decks like opus thief that take advantage of wheels constantly, get hard countered by this card. The cards those decks wheel into can only be played that turn. This card is also great vs other control decks that like to draw cards. If they don’t play those cards that turn, they are then exiled.
- Blind Obedience: Not sure what you don’t like about this card, it has been stax staple for a long time. Creatures and artifacts enter tapped. This slows down the game, which is our game plan.
- Luminarch Ascension is a very good card in decks that try to slow the game down. It makes our late game threat inevitable. It also acts as a mana dump late and mid-game. When we have our stax cards on the field and they are slowing the game down, having the ability to make 4/4 angel beat sticks is extremely valuable. It has actually won me a few games.
The deck has a lot of synergistic effects, but that doesn’t mean the deck needs to play into those little tiny synergies. The deck is not a life gain deck, nor is the goal to layer +1/+1 counters on your creatures to make beat sticks. The goal is to slow the game down until we have the ability to win the game once we have stopped a few other players from winning the game. All the while, we are attacking and putting pressure on life totals with our creatures. This is not a “casual” mindset, rather, this is playing the deck to its strengths.
The comparison to Godo doesn’t make sense here. Godo is a fast combo glass cannon deck. This is neither. You are not trying to turbo out the combo and your deck only relies on your commander when you are trying to win the game. You can cast Heliod to accrue value and buff up your creatures so that they are harder to kill with sweepers. Since Heliod is an enchantment and indestructible, it can be really hard to remove him most of the time. However, it should be noted that this is not the “game plan” of the deck. We don’t want to be actively trying to cast Heliod as soon as possible so that we can start putting +1/+1 counters on our creatures. Instead, you should be focusing on getting the stax cards down, and if you have some downtime you cast your commander. If you have ever played in a comp setting you will know that creature beats is an actual win-con when the game gets slowed down. So swinging with a 5/5 can be extremely detrimental, especially vs AN decks.
While I think you have a misunderstanding of how T&T decks function, you are correct that card draw is better than lifegain + counters. I completely agree that thrasios and tymna provide much more value, and in most situations, decks that run these commanders don’t even use them to win (unless they are playing dramatic scepter).
I think this mindset just stems from not knowing how the deck is supposed to be piloted. Not this deck specifically, but an earlier iteration won top 4 in a major competitive tournament. Furthermore, the deck has been winning a lot in comp pods because shutting off people’s win-cons is a very powerful affect.
Franck8666 on Lurrus
2 months ago
Angel's Grace seem like a must play in this deck with the high amount of consultation players. Wrath of God/Damnation and maybe even Living Death could work too since you're running a high amount of hate bear. Yawgmoth's Will also look like another must have card. Smothering Tithe and Dark Deal are to be considerated if you're in a Opus Thief meta (you're also running the Uba Mask/Drannith Magistrate lock so even more reason to run them). Also, you're really low on lands.
I really like the deck and idea, hope you continue your tunning !