2 days ago
So I absolutely love UG Infect, but it's in such a poor spot in the meta right now that I'm thinking of picking up a new "funzies" deck. I think either RG Ponza or UR Prowess would suit my playstyle and budget (since I already have a bunch of the pieces for both). But I'm having a hard time choosing.
6 days ago
I absolutely love Two-Headed Giant, and have compiled a bunch of tips. I'm sharing them here for Amonkhet Pre-release. Please let me know if you have others!
From the Mothership:
- Each team has a shared life total that starts at 30 life.
- Each team takes their turn together, meaning they draw as a team, attack as a team, block as a team, and go through all phases of the turn as a team.
- The team that goes first skips their first draw step.
- Teams do NOT share any resources other than life--meaning players can't share cards in hand or mana. The short way of remembering this is any reference to "you" on cards still means each individual player.
- Teams may share information and strategize together.
- The first mulligan is to seven cards, then each mulligan afterward results in one fewer card (six, five, four etc.).
That said though, you probably want to ...
- Confirm the mulligan rule for your LGS. Though the first mulligan should be free, not every LGS plays it that way.
- Confirm that matches are only one game at your LGS, and that you're allowed to sideboard between matches.
- 2HG is a higher power level. 12 packs + 2 extra rares = higher average card quality. This means "solid fillers" in a normal sealed pool may not be so solid in 2HG.
- Splashing is easy. More fixing (because there are two pools) plus first mulligan free makes it possible to play all your Rares if you want.
- It's often best to choose Draw. Two extra cards + slower games/stalled boards (which make early Lands less relevant) makes it a good idea to choose Draw unless you're both very Aggro.
- Evasion is even more important than normal. More Creatures on board means lots of stalled boards. This makes Menace is much worse but everything else much better.
- Counterspells are better. I'm quoting magicjudges.org here: "With two spell-casting opponents it's less likely you kept mana up for nothing, there are more must-answer bombs overall, and its less problematic if you don't do anything for a turn if your teammate can advance the board."
- Consider hate cards for the maindeck. This is especially true for Flyer hate (in any 2HG game). Mainboard Artifact hate was good in KLD/AER, so it Graveyard hate may be worthwhile in AKH.
- Practice deckbuilding with your partner beforehand, if at all possible. Most LGSs give 50 minutes, and that's a PAINFULLY small amount of time.
- Communicate with your partner LOTS, but carefully. Knowing your opponents are watching and listening, don't hesitate to bluff. Quoting manadeprived.com: "When your opponents attack, you can pause and discuss, as if you were considering killing a creature, when in fact there is nothing in your hand that can do so."
Also, here are some thoughts on card selection for Amonkhet 2HG ...
- Watch for cards that can affect multiple opponents or multiple Creatures.
- Also, watch for cards you can use on your partner's Creatures (e.g., anything that says 'target Creature(s)' instead of 'Creature(s) you control'). There are a bunch of these, so I did not try to include all of them below.
Cards that are better in AKH 2HG than 'normal' Sealed (please sound off on any I missed!):
- Common/Uncommons: Blazing Volley, Bone Picker (better because it leverages your partner's Creatures too), Bontu's Monument, Cancel, Censor, Essence Scatter, Faith of the Devoted (an absolute house in 2HG), Gift of Paradise (note you can put it on your partner's land, allowing the non-green deck to splash), Honored Crop-Captain,
(since you can untap your partner's Creature or Land), Manglehorn,
Open Into Wonder
, Painful Lesson, Pursue Glory, Quarry Hauler, Time to Reflect, Vizier of Deferment, Vizier of Tumbling Sands, Watchers of the Dead, Wayward Servant,
- Rares/Mythics: Archfiend of Ifnir , Aven Mindcensor , Bontu the Glorified, Combat Celebrant (in 2HG, getting an extra phase means your team gets an extra phase), Cut / Ribbons, Dusk / Dawn, Failure / Comply, Harsh Mentor, Hazoret the Fervent , Heaven / Earth, Plague Belcher, Rags / Riches, Sandwurm Convergence (in 2HG, if an effect prevents a creature attacking a player it prevents that creature from attacking that player's team), Sweltering Suns, Throne of the God-Pharaoh.
Cards that are worse in AKH 2HG than 'normal' Sealed (again, please sound off on any I missed!):
- Common/Uncommon: Protection of the Hekma (your opponents can simply choose to deal damage to your teammate, so this will not trigger).
- Rare/Mythic: Gideon's Intervention (because there's generally no Game 2 or 3 in 2HG, it's very unlikely you can use the first effect proactively; because your opponents can simply choose to deal damage to your teammate, the second effect is useless).
Hope you and your partner crack, build, and draw well!
- Added Aven Mindcensor, Bone Picker, Dusk / Dawn, Initiate's Companion , Painful Lesson, Vizier of Deferment, and Zenith Seeker . Thanks MagicJudges!
- Added Cancel, Censor, and Essence Scatter. Thanks, u/Sersch!
- Moved Gideon's Intervention to the "Worse" category. Thanks, u/Evilcoatrack!
- Added Blazing Volley, Failure / Comply, and Manglehorn. Thanks, Zaueski!
- Removed Tattered Mummy since they're only in the Duel Decks. Thanks, greyninja!
- Added spoilers for cards not yet in T/O:
1 week ago
This is a reboot of the original Solving Mirrorwing thread.
Archetypes that need optimization ...
- Artifacts: Abuse Investigate effects and Artifacts-matter cards
- Blink: Abuse Blink effects and ETB Creatures
- Counters: Abuse +1/+1 Counter effects and Counters-matter cards
- Energy: Abuse Energy counters and Energy-matters cards
- Prowess: Make a good deck even better with Zada/Mirrorwing
- Tokens: Abuse Token-makers like Silverfur Partisan, Strength of Arms and Make Mischief
- Something else entirely?
Please don't hesitate to post your deck in large format (it makes it easier to find the decks). Here's the syntax ... just copy-and-paste, replacing the "mirrorwing-energy-kld" part with the "slug name" from your deck's URL:
Also, no worries if you just want to lurk. Please just click the Subscribe button here or underneath the Comment window. Thanks!
SCORE: 1 | 224 VIEWS | IN 3 FOLDERS